Author Topic: Touhou Scoring Thread II  (Read 16151 times)

Touhou Scoring Thread II
« on: July 30, 2011, 05:57:05 AM »
Discussion about little girls, rainbows and big numbers, MK II.

Important links.
  • Score.royalflare. This is the primary place to upload your scores for Touhou. Players from all over the world participate there.
  • High score page on the english Touhou wiki. Contains the World Records for every category in each Touhou game, including scores and replays that may not be available anymore, or are only available on a player's blog/twitter/etc.

We also discuss how people better than us at these games continue to make them display bigger numbers.

So how's everybody doing on the english side of things?

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Re: Touhou Scoring Thread II
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 03:53:38 PM »
Trying to score SA Stage 1 is still a bit too annoying right now, so not much progress there. I might take another look at those TD replays you linked me to, but with Comiket just two weeks away, it's not like it'll matter much. I am looking forward to scoring the full version though.

Yeah, I saw that SA Lunatic replay and took notes. Those accidental deaths were just cringe-worthy (Ten Evil Stars? I don't care who you are, that's pretty embarrassing :V), but easily correctable I'm sure. I still feel like he can graze two sections better (Stage 2 opener and midboss-Yuugi's opener), but the difference there is bound to be small anyway.

EDIT: Just watched that TD replay by ns. I never thought to postpone the first suicide like that. It sets up a remarkably different resource path later, and I actually feel like trying it out (if I can :V). Only one gripe from me though: why do people still insist on doing the Stage 1 midboss like that? Reimu can score about 1000 base Point values higher doing it the way I did way back when.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 04:21:03 PM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:21:31 AM »
Ok, so I took a look at the replay for IN's Youmu solo on Lunatic and I was shocked at the smooth handling and directional play of this guy. YASU at 6.3 billion! He managed to nail this on 2011/07/27. But bombing right at the start? I'm still unsure why he did it, especially when the net gain in time points doesn't make up for that lost bomb. I'm kinda confused.

Heartbeam

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:27:51 PM »
The special ability shared between Youmu and Yuyuko is to replenish the bomb stock by one if you're carrying less than three bombs at the completion of each stage, excluding the last one.

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 12:46:17 PM »
Ah thanks for the clarification. So it does work.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 09:28:46 AM »
Almost broke 2B in IN Normal Malice Team. IF ONLY I HAD CAPPED AT LEAST TWO OF KAGUYA'S LAST SPELLS, BUT NOOOOO, I HAD TO FAIL 'EM ALL.

I wonder if there's anything I could do to gain more time orbs in S3 and S4...

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 01:47:06 AM »
EDIT: Just watched that TD replay by ns. I never thought to postpone the first suicide like that. It sets up a remarkably different resource path later, and I actually feel like trying it out (if I can :V). Only one gripe from me though: why do people still insist on doing the Stage 1 midboss like that? Reimu can score about 1000 base Point values higher doing it the way I did way back when.

I'd love to know where you're getting the replays from. I can't seem to find any decent scoring runs! (Already watched the ones on MotK..)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:14:31 AM by Shima-Tora »

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!
Feel free to message me if you need anything!

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 01:59:22 AM »
I'd love to know where you're getting the replays from. I can't seem to find any decent scoring runs! (Already watched the ones on MotK..)

http://score.royalflare.net/th11/score11.html

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 11:15:08 AM »
Sorry, I didn't make it obvious enough. I meant Ten Desires replays. I've edited my post now.

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 12:59:54 AM »
Why couldn't I find that? -.-
Anyway, thanks muches. :)

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 10:19:38 AM »
I found this cool way of clearing the final card on stage 5 in TD, maybe a variation of this strategy can be used to hump the boss continuously? Maybe this is a good scoring strategy as it is?
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 08:01:24 AM »
I found this cool way of clearing the final card on stage 5 in TD, maybe a variation of this strategy can be used to hump the boss continuously? Maybe this is a good scoring strategy as it is?

I believe I understand what you're talking about. Because the boat counts as an extra target, it's possible to spawn almost double the spirits. If you time the last spell correctly, you can net a huge amount from a bomb then a trance. Especially as Marisa, since she can generate spirits faster with her trance, making her possibly the best scoring character. The positioning has to be accurate though.

I saw Heartbeam's replay scoring 2 billion points on Hard, which uses the technique I describe. He doesn't seem to score aggressively until Stage 6, which is interesting. Balancing between survivability and greed makes this game kinda cool.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:03:17 AM by Moshalas »

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 10:58:19 AM »
I believe I understand what you're talking about. Because the boat counts as an extra target, it's possible to spawn almost double the spirits. If you time the last spell correctly, you can net a huge amount from a bomb then a trance. Especially as Marisa, since she can generate spirits faster with her trance, making her possibly the best scoring character. The positioning has to be accurate though.

No, I move into safespotting it in the middle, I doubt it is that useful for a Marisa scoring run, possibly useful with others, except instead of attacking and beating the spell, you would wait until about 14 seconds remain (or something along those lines) then bomb-trance/trance. Not that something like 2k graze is important in scoring as it is now, a solid trance and bomb strategy through the game is so much more important.

And great job getting over 2 billion Heartbeam!

Immortal Momiji!

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 07:47:07 AM »
Just recently noticed how Heartbeam beat my score on 10D with Sanae on Easy for the tournament. What made me laugh so hard is that he beat me by 10 points! All of a sudden, I realised that I did indeed have competition, but I owe it all to him. I still don't think I'll be able to break 2 million on Marisa that easily. :D

gof

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 01:31:12 PM »
OOSAKA improved EoSD Extra WR. Now 660,795,610.

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 10:59:43 PM »
Shin just broke the UFO world record, as well as the 3 billion barrier as Marisa A.

On hard mode.

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 07:08:02 AM »
Shin just broke the UFO world record, as well as the 3 billion barrier as Marisa A.

On hard mode.

Wow, Shin is like the HS of UFO.  :o

Immortal Momiji!

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 07:12:34 AM »
Incidentally, it actually did catch HS's attention.

Spoiler:
as well as just about every single scorerunner and player out there that i keep in touch with oh man
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 02:18:25 PM »
Incidentally, it actually did catch HS's attention.

Spoiler:
as well as just about every single scorerunner and player out there that i keep in touch with oh man

I hope he goes for an even higher score eventually. If that one ufo token in stage 2 didn't escape...

How high can he get at that level of execution?

Immortal Momiji!

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »
And the two Red UFO mean the Point item value can be increased by 2000 during the whole game, right ?
I am French, so i'm sorry if I make any mistakes. ^^

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 11:36:01 AM »
At first, I wasn't too suprised at 3b on Hard.
Then I saw it was with Marisa A.

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 04:22:20 PM »
How high can he get at that level of execution?

He estimates around 3.15b, 3.2b with Sanae B.

And the two Red UFO mean the Point item value can be increased by 2000 during the whole game, right ?

Sort of. He actually uses the red UFO pieces to get his first life faster, so that he could suicide and graze more on Ichirin's final card (which is complete random luck most of the time whether or not you can do it properly), and the graze he gets there should supposedly make up for the lost point value from getting the red. He got pretty lucky and as far as I know, didn't actually need the extra life (though he actually did end up needing it due to dying accidentally on stage 4). So... It's hard to say. You could avoid the red UFO, get the 2000 point value, wait ten minutes and pray for some really nice random numbers, or you can get the UFO, wait ten minutes and pray for some decent random numbers and make up for it slightly by not having to stop grazing Ichirin's final card for it ends.

My analysis is crap though so he may have actually needed the red UFO for something else.

Polttopallo

• /人◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 10:24:31 PM »
royalflare th13 scoreboard is finally up!

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 11:00:52 PM »
royalflare th13 scoreboard is finally up!
It's been up, just not officially :V
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Arcorann

• hey catgirl
  • Surprisingly unkempt
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 11:44:34 AM »
And when the scoreboard officially went up it wiped all the scores off the unofficial one, including the recent 3B by NSHN.

Of course, since then he's proceeded to beat his 3B Lunatic score with a new Hard record, maxing out the point item value in the process.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 09:48:23 PM »
HS, ReimuB Extra 1.4b break

also features a previous run where he just falls short of the mark too.

you may see this here
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 07:49:15 PM »
New TD lunatic run by Hewlett, it's insane. He farms Yoshika's first spell and grazes Kyouko's second non-spell like nobody's business.

Hewlett 3,14 billion Marisa run

Hewlett 3,26 billion Youmu run

Immortal Momiji!

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 01:56:42 PM »
PondeSuika takes the lead in SA Reimu A lunatic again.
Score of 4.7billion. I haven't seen the run though, I think it was uploaded yesterday.

EDIT: I saw the run and compared the graze counts with UKT's previous WR run.
PondeSuika was winning in graze counts right from the beginning(after the stage 1 title). He had even amassed over 40000 graze by the end of stage 2.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:34:10 PM by J.O.B »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2011, 03:24:26 PM »
That replay of his is old (it's dated 7/24, plus it was already mentioned in this thread's OP). He took it down from the site some time ago, though why he would put it back up instead of waiting to get a better run is beyond me.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.