Author Topic: PCB: Keyboard problem with WINE (Ubuntu 14.10)  (Read 4209 times)

98digger

• The Master of 9801
  • What? Windows? What's that?
    • The 98th Dimension
PCB: Keyboard problem with WINE (Ubuntu 14.10)
« on: April 05, 2015, 07:42:50 AM »
Hello,

I recently installed Perfect Cherry Blossom (off an official CD) under WINE and I have been experiencing issues with the controls. While the game itself appears to be running perfectly fine, the game does not respond to the keyboard at all. Also, the cursor on the menu is continuously moving upwards.

Operating system: Lubuntu 14.10 (x64)
WINE: 1.7 (WINE 1.6 did not work either)
Computer: HP 505B MT
Keyboard: IBM SK-8825

Is there a way I could possibly fix this issue? Or should I install PCB on a Windows-running computer and transfer the install to the Lubuntu computer?

Thanks,
-98digger

^Notice: I'm bad at writing replies :)    Also: Check out my personal site here: https://themasterof9801.neocities.org/

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
Re: PCB: Keyboard problem with WINE (Ubuntu 14.10)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 07:35:33 PM »
Yep, that's a known bug in PCB (happens in Windows too from time to time). Typically it's because the game is thinking there's a controller/joystick attached and processes whatever info it thinks is there as pressing up continuously. I just tested this under Wine 1.7.39 and yeah, it does the scrolling for me too. There's two ways to fix it. One is to open custom.exe and put a check next to the option that says DirectInput on the left (4th one down). Another option (the one I prefer, you don't need to put the check in there for this one) is to run the vsync patch instead, as it seems to also fix it (which will make the game run a little bit smoother too, as well as reducing input lag).
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 02:22:32 PM »
Yep, that's a known bug in PCB (happens in Windows too from time to time). Typically it's because the game is thinking there's a controller/joystick attached and processes whatever info it thinks is there as pressing up continuously. I just tested this under Wine 1.7.39 and yeah, it does the scrolling for me too. There's two ways to fix it. One is to open custom.exe and put a check next to the option that says DirectInput on the left (4th one down). Another option (the one I prefer, you don't need to put the check in there for this one) is to run the vsync patch instead, as it seems to also fix it (which will make the game run a little bit smoother too, as well as reducing input lag).
The best solution is to do both the DirectInput setting and the VSync patch.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

98digger

• The Master of 9801
    • The 98th Dimension
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 12:09:28 AM »
Oh, hey it works now! Thanks guys! :)

The only thing is that the V-Sync patch is not installing properly under WINE.... I can't even get the .exe to open.... but it's not that big of an issue. At least the game itself is working :D

Btw does anyone know how to run the game without having to change Lubuntu's locale to Japanese?

^Notice: I'm bad at writing replies :)    Also: Check out my personal site here: https://themasterof9801.neocities.org/

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 08:05:57 PM »
For vsync patch, all you need to do is add three files into the folder the game resides in. For PCB, you need vpatch_th07.dll, vpatch.exe, and vpatch.ini, and run the game with vpatch.exe, and it should work. (also make sure the game's exe is named properly, "TH07.exe") You can rename the english patched one to this to run the english patch, just make sure it's not the same name as the original one (I just name my original one to "TH07 J.exe").

As for running without Japanese locale, I can only speak from a Mac's perspective on this, as that is what I use Wine on, and I lack any system that runs any form of Linux. What I do when I launch the game is this:

LANG="ja_JP.UTF-8" wine vpatch.exe

Not sure if that would be the same on Linux or not, however, but I assume it is. I also use this to launch up anything Japanese based and I've never had issues with doing so.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

98digger

• The Master of 9801
    • The 98th Dimension
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 07:27:07 PM »
For vsync patch, all you need to do is add three files into the folder the game resides in. For PCB, you need vpatch_th07.dll, vpatch.exe, and vpatch.ini, and run the game with vpatch.exe, and it should work. (also make sure the game's exe is named properly, "TH07.exe") You can rename the english patched one to this to run the english patch, just make sure it's not the same name as the original one (I just name my original one to "TH07 J.exe").

As for running without Japanese locale, I can only speak from a Mac's perspective on this, as that is what I use Wine on, and I lack any system that runs any form of Linux. What I do when I launch the game is this:

LANG="ja_JP.UTF-8" wine vpatch.exe

Not sure if that would be the same on Linux or not, however, but I assume it is. I also use this to launch up anything Japanese based and I've never had issues with doing so.

The VSync patch isn't working (even in WINE's Japanese locale), but everything else is fully functional. No input delay or anything seems to be effecting the game. Thanks for the help  :)