Author Topic: Has ZUN forgotten about the PC98 games?  (Read 55628 times)

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
Re: Has ZUN forgotten about the PC98 games?
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2009, 12:34:25 AM »
you guys have lost me..

and i wld prefer Alice to be playable. with Shinki as partner.
Ditto with Marisa, with Mima as partner.

Reimu can get old Gaps like she used to

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2009, 12:39:52 AM »
I thought Yuka was supposed to be polite and refined except she had no regards at all in making use of violence and awing displays of power (THAT SHE HAS! Double Spark is undeniable).

For me wriggle was always phail. And a man, which would fix him/she/it about half the way to good. And the only char pairing I believe I can accept is MariAri.

Also: "Have you seen images of Yuka lately?"

Why are we sticking to the euphemisms? Let's go straight to rock bottom and look at Tenshi. Sure, she's a new character, but  believe no one better demonstrates how fast and how deep a character can fall in the pit of detestable fandom. (No Aya, not even you can top that)
rofl bye

Mima-sama

• What are you doing in that shrine you are not a god
  • You are too cool to be a god anyway :|
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2009, 12:41:10 AM »
Bah, everyone knows all the cool kids want Yumemi to return.

I'm seriously considering making a Yumemi costume considering it has never been done to my knowledge.

WRATHIE_Beatrice

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2009, 12:41:46 AM »
Ahh tenshi, good times.
i think it was due to the fact she was labelled as a dragon and turns out to be a spoilt bitch that pushed the fans over the edge and label her as a masochist.

Still, it's funny =D

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2009, 12:47:28 AM »
I find her to be kinda pathetic and utterly unimportant. But yeah... I don't have to like her to RAGE at what happened to her
rofl bye

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2009, 01:48:36 AM »
Your first mistake was expecting the mechanics of a magical fantasy world to make sense.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2009, 02:32:48 AM »
Apply Magic Logic.

Magic Logic: Skip thing you don't understand and pretend it work.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2009, 02:56:30 AM »
Yuka X Wriggle makes some semblance of sense, since bugs pollinate flowers.
This pairing is a prime example of one of those ships that fandom fandumb makes just because one things similar to another (Koishi/Flandre is also one of these, so is Alice/Medicine). Truthfully speaking, the notion of 'bugs pollinating flowers' is invalid to what really makes a pairing legit. If it was hinted that the two were fond on each other (which it isn't) then it would be a little more believeable. Otherwise, the aspect of Wriggle pollinating Yuka just because she's a flower is completely bogus.

I thought Yuka was supposed to be polite and refined except she had no regards at all in making use of violence and awing displays of power (THAT SHE HAS! Double Spark is undeniable).
Quote from: Akyu
The stronger the youkai, the more polite they normally are.
Quote from: Akyu again
Luckily, she isn't interested in boring battles, so as long as you don't attack, set up a trap, or set her flower field on fire, you should be fine.

As it is stated above.

So truthfully, Yuka would only fight you if you fucked with her flowers or provoked her in someway. If you say 'Hi' to her on the streets (given if you see her there), she'll say 'hi' back.

Whether or not she's actually crazy is left in the air like everything else.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 04:13:39 PM by Nrvnqsr Erebus »
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Gpop

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2009, 03:18:48 AM »
I just assume that she's polite and won't fuck with you if you don't fuck with her, as stated.

But if you ever do fuck with her, then she becomes the sadistic bitch. Especially when you fuck with her sunflower field (or with her in general) =/.

shinyjam

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2009, 03:32:02 AM »
If you water her flower, she will be very friendly.  :V

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2009, 03:44:56 AM »
If you water her flower, she will be very friendly.  :V

shinyjam

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2009, 03:59:00 AM »
...let's stick with this version.

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2009, 06:11:44 AM »
What I've always wanted to see in Touhou was a greater sense of "epic". I hear SA which I've yet to play has more of a "sinister" feel which might help along these ends, more of a real threat. I think if we had a game where Keine threw herself in front of a ridiculous energy beam or some shit like that, people would learn to respect that character more and shed Womanly tears. On one hand the Touhou fandom is a little more "Hardcore" and less fluffy on some levels than for mainstream japanese media. But since he throws out the characters as near blank canvases you have to work hard to find out about, it negates this since it brings out the Kingdom Hearts Fangirl in everyone.

With this, the series wouldn't be as interesting for girls as it is now, with its friendly setting featuring girls playing around Gensokyo (while showing the places such as the SDM, Eientei, that common people could otherwise have lots of trouble travelling to), friendly versions of japanese mythological beings, non-lethal shmup action (okay.. most girls don't like action or shmups :p) and relaxing endings.

I think that by now people are probably more or less aware that I ABHOR Touhou fandom. Seriously hate it and find 97% of it disgusting bullshit and that the person that came up with that crap should be shot. Sure I have my own ideas and interpretations of how things look like they are behind the scenes and shit. But as a scenario I never really hid that I believe Gensokyou is completely fucked up and pretty much beyond saving. Rosie was saying that the character design is top notch, I disagree entirely, because I don't like things that don't make sense to me, and Gensokyou does NOT make sense. Some "rules of spell card duels" muttered quickly through concealing lips does not convince me. Characters are then stereotyped versions of japanese folklore and a lot of random stuff. Many of them are nice but I still bang on the thing that almost nothing of that makes any kind of sense: Why wouldn't Remilia simply murder Reimu in her sleep? Why is Suwako an apparent underling to Kanako when she's clearly more powerful, despite background story trying to say otherwhise... WHAT THE FUCK WITH EIENTEI?!?!? NONE of IN makes any sense and it is COMPLETELY disregardable!

Q: Why wouldn't Remilia simply murder Reimu in her sleep?
A: Because she doesn't need to. Nor does Reimu need to use an infinite version of her Last Word on her. Threads about how the Touhou characters would fare against each other while using their abilities to their full extents have led to a simple conclusion (for most cases): The one that attacks first (or snipes first), wins.
Q: Why is Suwako an apparent underling to Kanako when she's clearly more powerful, despite background story trying to say otherwhise...
A: If by "clearly more powerful" you mean her being an Extra Stage boss, while Kanako is a Final Stage boss, this fact alone doesn't say much, compared to how it's really stated that Flandre is more powerful than Remilia. Imho, Extra Stages are harder than Normal runs, but less hard than Lunatic runs (can't say the same for PoFV, I think), so, basing a boss' toughness on what stage she appears in is dependent of what difficulty you're using for comparison.
Q: WHAT THE FUCK WITH EIENTEI?!?!? NONE of IN makes any sense and it is COMPLETELY disregardable!
A: What exactly doesn't make sense? Regarding the game itself (and not the plot), ZUN has been thinking of it before EoSD ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperishable_Night#Development ), so I have to disagree with it being disregardable (especially for the game's features and Reimu/Marisa being 4th stage bosses -- which I found later to be a nostalgia-inducing version of the same stage boss fight in LLS)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2009, 12:21:43 PM »
1-> Yeah, pretty much. But it still doesn't make sense that someone as cruel and vengeful as Remilia supposedly is wouldn't do it anyway. She looks the type that makes her own rules, whatever the game.

2->Yeeaah, maybe I overstepped on that one. But I never really felt that Kanako looked like someone that could kick Suwako's ass, or that the very own Suwako ever made justice to her story as Misaguji-sama.

3-> I'll agree on the Reimu/Marisa fight but the more I look at IN, the more I feel like none of the characters there have actually anything to do with the rest of the world. Remilia, Yuyuko, Utsuho and even Kanako were real threats and have their own place in the plot for that. Kaguya is just... there... and then everyone decides to kick her ass because she looked at them funny. And after the game they're just there once again. It feels like those people are there but don't really have a place in the whole setting, with the possible exception of Keine (also: Yes, I know they're aliens, but Morya Shrine is as well and doesn't feel that way)
rofl bye

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2009, 04:27:48 PM »
Well, since Kaguya et al stole the full moon, which is apparently problematic enough that they were willing to stop the night from ending to deal with that ...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 04:30:12 PM by KimikoMuffin »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2009, 04:45:32 PM »
I think Vile's Lasagna's post made this thread semi-win. Seriously if you strip down all fanon and canon what is left over: Awesome music + amazing patterns + Loli girls. The end.

I don't think also ZUN intends to make Gensokyo a complex deep going story. Else he would explain first something more regarding Reimu and the Hakurei Border. I think he wants people to create their own fantasies. Maybe that is what makes the fandom for this extremely large. Psychological, people tend to believe what they want to believe when they know little. I don't know if ZUN does this intentionally or just happened by accident.

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2009, 04:48:50 PM »
True. Remember the words of dark-Tewi:

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2009, 04:57:13 PM »
Name of doujin/comic or w/e it is please =X

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2009, 05:16:35 PM »
Little brown bunnies are the best~
You didn't see shit!

But, Chocolate Tewi's relevant to my interests, regardless.

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2009, 11:51:22 PM »
1-> Yeah, pretty much. But it still doesn't make sense that someone as cruel and vengeful as Remilia supposedly is wouldn't do it anyway. She looks the type that makes her own rules, whatever the game.

2->Yeeaah, maybe I overstepped on that one. But I never really felt that Kanako looked like someone that could kick Suwako's ass, or that the very own Suwako ever made justice to her story as Misaguji-sama.

3-> I'll agree on the Reimu/Marisa fight but the more I look at IN, the more I feel like none of the characters there have actually anything to do with the rest of the world. Remilia, Yuyuko, Utsuho and even Kanako were real threats and have their own place in the plot for that. Kaguya is just... there... and then everyone decides to kick her ass because she looked at them funny. And after the game they're just there once again. It feels like those people are there but don't really have a place in the whole setting, with the possible exception of Keine (also: Yes, I know they're aliens, but Morya Shrine is as well and doesn't feel that way)
1) cruel and vengeful? After being defeated, Remilia visits Reimu (as shown in both endings, and mentioned in EoSD's Extra Stage), and canon *coughSSiBcough* tell us that Remilia is overconfident, prefers melee to danmaku (shown in SSiB as well) and yes, does whatever she wants to at the moment.

2) this can mean two things: one, Kanako won a fight against Suwako (by merit of superior strategy, or power alone, or adverse conditions regarding Suwako's abilities or the army of the place she was running, etc.. dunno.) one time, but may either lose or win again in a future fight (though in the first time, it seems that there were armies involved, and Kanako has crippled Suwako's army's weaponry by making them rust). Or two, Kanako has a large enough advantage over Suwako, meaning that this matchup is really in favor to Kanako (thus meaning that Kanako, due to such overwhelming advantages, has considerably better chances of winning, and/or that in a series of direct duels she would have more wins than losses). Not that Suwako is to Kanako what Ran is to Yukari; one example that I could use for comparison is Suwako being a shark, and Kanako, a lion. And they're both on land.
(since I mentioned Kanako interfering with Suwako's army and later having acquired the Moriya Shrine by "right of conquest", Kanako's abilities may, or may not be more focused on support rather than single, direct combat and thus, giving way for a third option. If this is the case, Suwako could even have a favorable matchup and not wanting to reclaim the shrine due to lack of interest. Anyways, I don't have such answers, but so far I don't have reasons to deny that Kanako had the ability to defeat Suwako back then, whatever her means and/or conditions were)

3) the plot of IN mentions that the youkai are affected negatively if the moon doesn't grow fully (which it doesn't do, because Eirin has replaced Gensokyo's moon with a fake one that doesn't grow full because this is the requirement needed for lunarians to travel to the Earth, and Kaguya and gang are willing to avoid them. They just didn't knew that Gensokyo is hidden well enough for the need to cut out the lunarians' way from the Moon to the Earth, however Eirin was right about taking safety measures; even after IN, moon viewing ceremonies are held in Eientei in order to magically avoid the lunarians' eyes, or ears..); most humans wouldn't notice, but the youkai do, and the youkai and humans are mutually important in Gensokyo (since if they don't fight themselves, their powers diminish and they become more vulnerable to outside threats.. such as Kanako -- even though she attempted to conquer the Hakurei Shrine because she cared for the balance of power based on faith. All your faith are belong to us.).
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2009, 06:00:11 AM »
In Touhou Youyoumu, Alice returned in Stage 3. In Touhou Kaeidzuka, Yuuka returned as a playable character.

.... Nah. I don't think ZUN's really forgotten about his earlier games.

I think.

Come back, Mima!

Please!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 06:02:33 AM by Alwaysnew »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2009, 08:19:57 AM »
Oh boy, seems like people forgetting Alice was playable in IN, you lot are only mentioning her in PCB. No explanation why she teams up with Marisa.

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2009, 09:28:30 AM »
Oh boy, seems like people forgetting Alice was playable in IN, you lot are only mentioning her in PCB. No explanation why she teams up with Marisa.

They're neighbours.

WRATHIE_Beatrice

« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2009, 01:04:16 PM »
and witches.

« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2009, 01:07:30 PM »
I wouldn't call Alice a witch. She's a magician. No witchy hat or using mushrooms as spell components, etc.

Gpop

« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2009, 01:56:09 PM »

And even fewer people remembers that she was playable in both IaMP and SWR, and helps out Marisa is SA =/.

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2009, 02:24:03 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperishable_Night#Development
ZUN found it particularly difficult to find a youkai character to pair Reimu and Marisa with. In the end, ZUN picked Alice from the pre-Windows games to be Marisa's partner since he thought Alice was a "Youkai version of Marisa", and thus reintroduced her in Perfect Cherry Blossom. Yukari was selected to be Reimu's partner because their personalities were similar and would make sense to be together.[2]
Translations.

shinyjam

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2009, 03:18:40 PM »
He turned to Imperishable Night because he felt the game did not provide much room for character development despite having such a rich cast.
He care about character development, important quote.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »
And blondes.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."