Author Topic: How did you find out about Touhou?  (Read 34337 times)

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
Re: How did you find out about Touhou?
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2009, 04:08:00 AM »
Personally, I found out through a combination of the McRoll'd video (trying to find the source of the music), a couple pics of Wriggle Nightbug (trying to find who the character was) and finding Cirno's Perfect Math Class on youtube.

Cornchip

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2009, 04:17:41 AM »
Well... A while back i was going through a bunch of Mario TAS's (ranging from Kaizo to 64) and somehow ran into Mario stole the precious thing.

Needless to say I looked for the original song which happened to be in the related videos, and right after which I saw Overdrive done by the same group so at this point I'm asking myself "Who the hell are these people." After a few minutes of looking around I quickly found out "Touhou." Not knowing what it was I wiki'd it finding out it was a game, go back to youtube find a gameplay video, and "omgwtfbbqmuffins" ensued... The rest is easy enough to figure out.

Dingzhu

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2009, 04:27:09 AM »
My friend talked about it to me.

Ironically, now I'm obsessed, and he didn't really like it at all. :V

« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2009, 04:32:35 AM »
I find it funny that a lot of people found touhou through youtube but youtube didn't exist yet when I discovered touhou. Youtube really was one of the major evolution of web 2.0. With this and wikipedia it's way easier to gather information.

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2009, 05:15:14 AM »
I find it funny that a lot of people found touhou through youtube but youtube didn't exist yet when I discovered touhou. Youtube really was one of the major evolution of web 2.0. With this and wikipedia it's way easier to gather information.

Yeah, when I got into it, there was basically this site, and nothing else. All of the information on Touhou was either on the site itself or in the forums, and it wasn't much. If I remember right, it was just a full script translation for EoSD, a partial one for PCB, basic scoring instructions for the three Windows games, and a spellcard compendium on the forums. Touhou was so mysterious; I think that was part of the initial appeal for me.

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2009, 07:20:48 AM »
Yeah, when I got into it, there was basically this site, and nothing else. All of the information on Touhou was either on the site itself or in the forums, and it wasn't much. If I remember right, it was just a full script translation for EoSD, a partial one for PCB, basic scoring instructions for the three Windows games, and a spellcard compendium on the forums. Touhou was so mysterious; I think that was part of the initial appeal for me.

nee.in that time,you tube haved few fanmade videos from Touhou.one of them, have a background music who after knows is Sound Horizon. i search about them and i love it...and discover the existence of the doujin games like Melty Blood and Fate...i discover and re-discover Onmyousa too.thanks to Touhou,i discover indirectly Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and take more interest for Japan folclore, and with this,discover MoNoNoKe...And ended found interesting the samurais.(XD oh fangirl...)
and thanks to Touhou,i begin to play PC games.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 07:25:30 AM by VIVI »

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2009, 07:21:49 AM »
(and for some reason i can`t delete my mistake...u_u)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 07:25:47 AM by VIVI »

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2009, 07:38:57 AM »
nee.in that time,you tube haved few fanmade videos from Touhou.one of them, have a background music who after knows is Sound Horizon.

Mm.. I might know which one you're talking about. Is it 霊夢の世界 -The world of Reimu-? This video actually got me interested in Sound Horizon. :D It's the only old Touhou video I know of that is set to one of this band's songs.

TL777 ✌

• Fuwa fuwa desu~~~
  • Do you know what time it is?
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
I learned about Touhou from a certain video that involves a certain clown and a certain vampire's theme.  :P

Wilhelmina

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »
A couple or three years ago, I came across Marisa Stole the Precious Thing video.  I looked it up and saw a video playthrough of IN (with an awesome arrange of Mokou's theme) I was like "okay not gunna even try".  I think I looked at imageboards without knowing what or where they were and then fast forward to last year!  I just met a new friend and she got into touhou (dunno when) and I was like "COOL" and yeah.

the end

Onozuka Nikuyokura

• Powdered Sugar-Loli of Frosty Goodness
  • I'mma catch me an Iku Fish.
    • AWBW Forums
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2009, 03:52:08 PM »
Found a video of Earthbound with the hardcore remix of "UN Owen-?" in it. That led to me watching a Ronald McDonald video later and recognizing the song.

That later led to me showing a person who goes by "Kitsune" the video after which he told me he knows of the song from a game. He linked me to the Flandre battle which linked me to the Hitbox Patch with linked me to my first Touhou games (6 and 11)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2009, 05:39:19 PM »
This again?

Was looking up TWEWY stuff on youtube, came across this, said "what the hell is that awesome music", found Kefit's Flandre clear, grabbed games, and have been getting angrier every day for over a year now.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2009, 03:50:34 AM »
2007.  I was away on an internship, and when MJP came to visit he'd be playing PoFV on his laptop.  I got a kick out of the music, the fact that all of the <strike>playable</strike> EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE CHARACTERS is a lady and DEAD PARROT but decided there'd be no way I'd ever have enough ADD to even follow the game, no less play it.

This all went into hibernation until 2009, where I stumbled upon a picture in some message board that was cute, got me to look into what a Touhou was again.... and here we are now.

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2009, 06:53:14 AM »
I remember one of the posters on another board talking about Touhou and capturing spell cards years ago, but at the time it didn't really interest me. I watched some Touhou related stuff on youtube [Precious Thing, McRoll, etc.] but still didn't think about it much.

Earlier this year, I really got into Vocaloid, and I ended up watching the Vocaloid version of Overdrive, which peaked my interest in the series.

Finally, around the beginning of June or so, I finally started playing the series, starting from EoSD. Now I play it on and off with no chance of hell of ever getting past hard mode.

Yeah, not a very exciting story.

On a completely unrelated note, I actually did one of my college presentations on Vocaloid. No, I don't have a life.

« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2009, 05:59:49 PM »
Around 2006 or 2007, I became obsessed with Cave Story, and had to play any and all Japanese doujin and indie games.  So I posted a thread on 4chan asking what some good indie games were.  Someone posted a link to PCB.

I loved the characters, and the way ZUN seems to pull compelling ones with imaginative back stories and designs out of his ass every single game (at least up until the most recent one).

I couldn't understand anything that was going on, because a translation patch hadn't been created yet, all I knew was that I loved youmu and yuyuko.

And it slowly built up from there

« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2009, 12:50:11 AM »
Like a lot of others it was through youtube. About a year and a half ago, someone sent me a video of Overdrive (he didn't know from what it was either) Thought it was kind of cool and searched for other IOSYS videos and reached Marisa Stole the Precious Thing. Being a yuri fangirl it made me very curious, googled a bit, found the games and fell in love :P
Normal: 2,4-12
Extra: 4-8,10-12
Hard: 4,6-8,10
Lunatic: 8

« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2009, 12:50:41 AM »
Referred by a user on another forum in a thread about bullet hell games. Started with Imperishable Night and now I've got most of them.

« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2009, 08:35:16 AM »
Hmm, let's see. Saw the "Marisa Stole the Precious Thing" video but wasn't interested (but I love it now, go figure). I noticed "There certainly are a lot of these 'touhou' hentai pictures on this site" but then came the yukkuri hentai and I was repulsed. Finally I ended up on a YouTube video of one of the many covers of "U. N. Owen Was Her?" I ended up seeing a video of a playthrough of EoSD extra stage, did some research, and decided to try that game. I eventually discovered the wiki, imported EoSD and IaMP, and here I am.

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2009, 06:05:45 PM »
Saw Mario Stole the Precious Thing on YouTube, thought the music in the background was pretty catchy, but didn't think much of it after that.

Later on, I was in a chatroom for another forum I go to, and noticed the word "JAAAAAOOOOOOOOOO~" as the room description one night. I asked where it was from, and a friend linked me to the Patchy/Meiling M-1 clip, and then to a non-HD version of this video.

And here I am now, almost two months later.  :V

Lunatic Red Eyes

« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2009, 10:28:42 PM »
I was also McRoll'd :(... but surprisingly, I actually had the Suwako version of McRoll, then there was a link to the real song on that video, and it just went from there  :).

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2009, 01:12:10 AM »
TV Tropes. In exact order,

Crowning Music of Awesome > Video Game Section > Touhou Page > U.N. Owen was Her? > Holy crap must play this > Surely I can do thi- > WHY AM I LOSING LIVES TO THE ICE FAIRY >  ;.;

Hops203

• Yo, where all the white women at?
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2009, 02:06:13 AM »
I logged on, I saw, I asked, I downloaded. Nothing special.

« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2009, 03:46:49 AM »
I remember seeing a video of Shoot the Bullet and wanting to play it. I downloaded the Imperishable Night. From then on (4 years ago) I've been playing Touhou with long hiatuses and then around a year ago finally downloading every single Touhou game.

Also, first time I've heard U.N. Owen: (link)

Toki Hakurei

• Aegis Reflector
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2009, 02:53:58 AM »
1. Randomly watched a few Japanese vids on YouTube.
2. Heard about it from a friend.
3. Watched the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVAs out of boredom.
4. Discovered Touhou Wiki.
5. Discovered that Sakuya is Dio Brando only in loli non-vampire maid form.
6. Read JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Parts 1-3.
7. Played Embodiment of Scarlet Devil for the first time.

And that is the story of my life.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 02:56:07 AM by Toki Hakurei »

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2009, 06:14:38 AM »
I found out by trying to figure out what the powers and the characters to Megamari. I forgot if it was Cirno, Touhou, or Megamari that lead me here. It was one of those three.

Suwako Moriiya

• I am a terrible poster
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2009, 07:10:42 AM »
s of it in a dream. it said.
;you shall go to youtube and write touhou; and i waked up and said WTF was that.
 i checked it and whoah, that was some nice games.
i downloaded touhou 6 embodient of scarlet devil, and became in love with the games.
later i saw suwako in silver forests ;kero Destiny; and was sold.

[tso]I probated you for a week because of your awful posting, and then you come back and not only keep it up, you fully admit to piracy.  Bye~[/tso]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 08:10:43 AM by Yagami Hayate »

Tamara

« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2009, 10:17:54 AM »
I saw the video Nitori GET DOWN and I did a bit of a search on Nitori, got interested and later downloaded the games, loved them and that's where I am today.

[tso]Admitting to pirating the games is not a wise idea here.  Please refrain from this point forward.[/tso]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 12:44:34 PM by Yagami Hayate »

KJman456

« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2009, 10:49:33 PM »
I watched a Nico Nico Kumikyoku video with Marisa Stole the Precious Thing in it. So, yeah, it all started from there. :D
First post BTdubbs!

Cabble

• Ask me about my Cat.
  • Not unwilling to shank you.
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2009, 11:48:45 PM »
I thought that the BGM music for mcrolled was pretty cool, so I looked it up. I got no results somehow, so I clicked one of the related videos, flowering night. Needless to say I became addicted. I went to a fan forum for a game I don't play anymore, and saw they played touhou on. The rest as they say is history. (I asked what platform it was for :V)
I had a teacher who used to play radiohead during class once.

ONCE.

« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2009, 10:04:18 AM »
Around Winter 2005, I followed a friend from our home channel into #shrinemaiden on Pyoko and played around with the Touhou IRC gashapon figurine collection game. From there I looked up the characters I was dispensing, and then discovered the games.