Author Topic: ZUN should have a donation box.  (Read 53314 times)

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
Re: ZUN should have a donation box.
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2009, 08:55:04 PM »
Still, I have yet to see anyone adverse to being given free monies. I think that's the main idea here - donations as a show of support/appreciation.

Rather than giving him money for free I'd rather have the opportunity to actually buy the games. That would be more interesting and straightforward.
rofl bye

« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2009, 01:29:29 AM »
Still, I have yet to see anyone adverse to being given free monies. I think that's the main idea here - donations as a show of support/appreciation.
Rather than giving him money for free I'd rather have the opportunity to actually buy the games. That would be more interesting and straightforward.

Well he is selling the games and it is possible for us to buy them, just not locally. I think this conundrum brings us all the way back to step 1 doesn't it? I'm not going to mull over the exact same points I already posted before again, it's pointless. XP

If I remember, in his blog he stated that he had to move to a larger house because he couldn't hold all of his fan's stuff...

I remember hearing the same thing elsewhere too, otherwise I'd suggest doing something extra special for him like what the Cave Story community did for StudioPixel for the extra insistent. (Cave Story's a freeware game mind you, so there was no other way for them.) It'd be the next most logical method to get him a direct gift, as he wouldn't need to bother with the transfer rate.

The question would be just what to get Zun that wouldn't just be an inconsiderate space waster. I suppose he likes beer and everybody always jokes around that he makes the games better when he's drunk. Lets mail him a thank you note and fuel him with beer so that U.F.O. can be just that much better of a game. XP

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2009, 02:12:05 AM »
I wouldn't be too sure about mailing beer, unless we have some option to have it mailed and have a guarantee it'd arrive in decent condition. He is a bit of a beer connoisseur, and I don't think beer does good being in a possible hot and shaky air mail service.

Or am I going about this wrong?

« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2009, 06:05:15 AM »
Eheheh, I wasn't really serious about it, as it's a creepy weird idea but beer is imported all the time. This is because even with the same brand, different breweries have different unique tastes due to differences in the brewing process, such as what yeast they use. I hear European Budwiser is better than American Budwiser for example. I'm not sure entirely how it works but I'd assume they use a refrigerated compartment or something. Even if not, alcohol can be stored at room temperature can't it? I'd look for a specialty importer in japan, if possible.

If anybody really wants to send Zun beer for any god forsaken reason, I'd suggest sending the note first to let him know its coming then delivering it direct. Be sure to do some research on what the best beer is though, as it'd be a bit of a waste otherwise. Perhaps a slap in the face even, if he has a truly refined palette. I suggest taste testing for best results.

Edit: Oh hey, here's a slightly relevant topic right here on these forums.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 06:14:52 AM by Tonepoet »

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2009, 11:36:03 AM »
I was thinking asking if we asked if he was interested in maybe some of the odd-ball specialty beers availible in the US but tricky to get to Japan in good condition like Dogfish Head or Samuel Adams. I'm sure he could be interested in something like that... :)

My understanding about beer-making, and actually cheese making too, to a point, is that they keep their own cultures, which effects the beer. I guess it'd make sense that different breweries would have different tasting beer.

I do agree with contacting him first. I'm sure even the deepest beer head that would have some random 6-pack show up would be alittle suspicious about it. :)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2009, 04:52:54 PM »
Dogfishhead 60 minute IPA is amazing. I remember seeing a pic of him with Grolsch. If he likes that, he'd love Dogfishhead.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2009, 06:32:40 PM »
Ya know, now I'm interested to see if he'd take us up on the offer. Problem is, I dunno much about beer other than how it's made (yea, Modern Marvels!). I have the problem that alcohol dehydrates me, and that causes some rather nasty headaches for me. I usually drink very little because of that, and never really got to have this "buzz" peeps talk about.

bennelsey

• Touhou fan-game Developer
  • Will make Touhou fan-games for food
    • EastGap
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2009, 11:30:07 PM »
I'd prefer make a derivative work with his name credited as inspiration than giving him "a few bucks" from the original price. I just hope the Aki Anthology to be a success at C76, it would be the best way to thank him from international fans.

Which is exactly why im making a Touhou fan-game
Zun will appear first and my name will be second to God

That beer-sending idea is pretty good, but exporting will be a pain

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2009, 12:19:06 AM »
Jesus christ :words:

Just buy the damn games if you really want to support him.  I don't see how "yeah I stole all your games but I think they're neat here's 20 bucks we cool?" is even remotely a logical idea.

Hell I haven't even opened my copies of IN and IaMP and hold onto them as collectable items.  I think that's the best way to thank him, to go through the amazingly hard effort of logging into paletweb or asking N-Forza for a copy of his shit :V

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2009, 10:38:53 AM »
Look guys, you are all forgetting to take it easy.

Fact: he ain't a beggar, he ain't gonna take your moneys, or read your emails (rather lightly at that consider you just admitted to pirating to his game, and that it is a foreign IP, ten bucks on him using geoIP network checks)

Fact: what TSO said, I think he appreciates the thought of people playing his games, regardless of the idea, but the fact you pirate his shit and that he lets people 'have free control over what the character are and can be' means he doesn't give a shit or that he needed money desperate or aims anywhere high, like a CEO of ZUN company, managed by TOUHOU.

<-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2009, 11:03:14 AM »
I do like the beer gift idea though.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2009, 11:49:07 AM »
If we can all like buy him different beers ala regional areas, and such, we can like send him that.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

flurk

• I'M IN YOUR SHMUP
  • GRAZING YOUR BULLETS.
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2009, 06:58:21 PM »
if we could all coordinate perfectly so that all our beer arrives at his doorstep on the exact same day, ZUN'd jizz in his pants.

... i would like a candid vid of that as well.

"Eh, who needs brains in danmaku? Power, that's all you need!" -Kirisame Marisa

« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2009, 10:30:33 PM »
if we could all coordinate perfectly so that all our beer arrives at his doorstep on the exact same day, ZUN'd jizz in his pants.

christ, man, he's a fan of beer. That doesn't mean he's sexually attracted to it. :<

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2009, 11:09:16 PM »

christ, man, he's a fan of beer. That doesn't mean he's sexually attracted to it. :<

'jizz their pants' is the hip way of saying 'would be excited', i think

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2009, 04:16:34 PM »
Yeah the donations thing was a dumb idea, it was just a spur of the moment thing I guess.

I would get behind sending ZUN a case of fine beers, except I don't drink so I don't know anything about what's good or not. Also, how the heck are we supposed to know his address? :V

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2009, 09:13:02 PM »
Yeah the donations thing was a dumb idea, it was just a spur of the moment thing I guess.

I would get behind sending ZUN a case of fine beers, except I don't drink so I don't know anything about what's good or not. Also, how the heck are we supposed to know his address? :V
I'm sure there's some way to find it, or does he pretty much get everything from cons? And all of a sudden I had this silly image of someone carting around a small fridge filled with beer like a merchant character from Ragnarok Online. :)

« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2009, 06:06:57 AM »

I'm sure there's some way to find it, or does he pretty much get everything from cons? And all of a sudden I had this silly image of someone carting around a small fridge filled with beer like a merchant character from Ragnarok Online. :)

I believe that was in an IOSYS video.

More seriously, I did buy the games, but I'd still love to send ZUN some local beer. Apart from the address problem, though, is import duty on alcohol going to be a factor? Yes, I know you can mark it as a gift, but you never know whether Japanese Customs might get nasty (Customs services all around the world have a way of doing that).