Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey (+Persona Q) Thread - New EO Games For Everyone!~  (Read 121563 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Etrian Odyssey (+Persona Q) Thread - New EO Games For Everyone!~
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2014, 09:53:07 PM »
Ha ha amazing. I love this game. Now I'm going to have to look up the rest.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2014, 02:46:27 AM »
From what I've read about the questions:
Spoiler:
The first question cuts it down to boys or girls.  Then the second question cuts that group into half.  I picked girls and the choice was between indoor or outdoor types.  And then the other questions are about picking your soul mate from that group.

I went in blind and answered honestly and got Margaret.
Spoiler:
I ended up getting Shinjiro I WANTED NAOTO OR RISE!!! I'm playing the P4 route.
Spoiler:
The second boss was funny and awesome it talked about God and it was a priest at that and plus it had a ban this gimmick it was funny and easy because it's weak to electricity.

Also... I'm enjoying the 3rd Labyrinth although I'm not enjoying the messed up FOE.... no seriously WTF.

Just wanting to say also POISON IS OP against FOEs also if you're tight on yen then grinding Labyrinth 2 and 3 power spots are your best bet.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:13:15 AM by MewMewHeart »
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2014, 02:54:02 AM »
Spoiler:
I got Ken
and then blamed Garlyle despite him not actually having any connection to my choices.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2014, 03:20:16 AM »
Spoiler:
I ended up getting Shinjiro I WANTED NAOTO OR RISE!!! I'm playing the P4 route.
Spoiler:
The second boss was funny and awesome it talked about God and it was a priest at that and plus it had a ban this gimmick it was funny and easy because it's weak to electricity.

Also... I'm enjoying the 3rd Labyrinth although I'm not enjoying the messed up FOE.... no seriously WTF.

Just wanting to say also POISON IS OP against FOEs also if you're tight on yen then grinding Labyrinth 2 and 3 power spots are your best bet.

Spoiler:
That boss was super cool. Incredibly, hilariously weak, but cool. I wonder what his story significance is?

Everything is OP against enemies in this game. Light and dark as so ludicrously high-power that I don't really ever fight anything any more unless it's immune, poison and stat debuffs shred every boss so far with no problems, linked attacks seem amazing especially since they rapidly refill your navigator gauge, etc. It's fun to be able to actually abuse status for once in a Persona game, but I think there's a reason bosses were usually resistant or immune in the other games.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2014, 07:03:07 AM »
Spoiler:
That boss was super cool. Incredibly, hilariously weak, but cool. I wonder what his story significance is?

Everything is OP against enemies in this game. Light and dark as so ludicrously high-power that I don't really ever fight anything any more unless it's immune, poison and stat debuffs shred every boss so far with no problems, linked attacks seem amazing especially since they rapidly refill your navigator gauge, etc. It's fun to be able to actually abuse status for once in a Persona game, but I think there's a reason bosses were usually resistant or immune in the other games.
If I remember correctly most of the bosses in Persona games were immune to Light and Dark, also I can never land a link attack due to my party setup which is sad hmmm... that reminds me.

Spoiler:
Did anyone do the first Elizabeth fight quest? Because I think I OP'd it up with only her killing Koromaru with his weakness.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2014, 01:35:14 PM »
If I remember correctly most of the bosses in Persona games were immune to Light and Dark, also I can never land a link attack due to my party setup which is sad hmmm... that reminds me.

Spoiler:
Did anyone do the first Elizabeth fight quest? Because I think I OP'd it up with only her killing Koromaru with his weakness.

Most, if not all, of the bosses are still immune to light and dark, but it's still too good. Or maybe Naoto is just too good with her huge speed to always get off a spread instant-kill before enemies can act, but at any rate the game's system makes those moves way too easy to use. Maybe they should've had hugely increased MP costs or something so that you can't spam them as much.

Spoiler:
I did beat her, pretty effortlessly unfortunately. She spent way too much time giving me minor statuses and herself minor stat buffs and just generally not ever attacking all that much, so I was never in any danger. The bosses seem to have a real problem with that.

So far the hardest fight by far has been the third dungeon FOE, which has such a huge evade/dodge rate (at least for the level my guys are) that I couldn't reliably land Vile Reach-boosted Toxic Slices on it, so the battle dragged on way longer than I wanted and wore down on my resources more than usual. It was one of the few times Naoto's speed was a liability, because she kept going before protagonist, who is my Sukunda user. And he self-heals quite a lot, so the fight can really go long if you miss too much. I did win, but it drained enough of my resources that I had to leave the dungeon and would be inclined to try to avoid them in the future as a result, which means they're at least doing their job as puzzles. Unlike the second dungeon ones I won't just plough through these rather than solving puzzles.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2014, 02:39:49 PM »
Agility Bind, Paralysis, and Panic all zero out evasion, by the way.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2014, 05:56:59 PM »
Fun fact about the second stratum gimmick that you should look into:
Spoiler:
If you go back and go through all the rooms in order again you can retake the quiz and see the scenes with different characters.
  To be specific about how it works,
Spoiler:
The first question as mentioned divides into (mostly) boys and girls, the second divides that further, and then the next ~5-6 questions that are asked will all have an answer that has an 'obvious' link (EG "How would you bond with your partner?" "Fightfight down by the river" for Yosuke); once you pick one of those it seals the deal.  If you didn't there'll be a really obvious question in the last room)

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2014, 07:51:16 PM »
Most, if not all, of the bosses are still immune to light and dark, but it's still too good. Or maybe Naoto is just too good with her huge speed to always get off a spread instant-kill before enemies can act, but at any rate the game's system makes those moves way too easy to use. Maybe they should've had hugely increased MP costs or something so that you can't spam them as much.

Spoiler:
I did beat her, pretty effortlessly unfortunately. She spent way too much time giving me minor statuses and herself minor stat buffs and just generally not ever attacking all that much, so I was never in any danger. The bosses seem to have a real problem with that.

So far the hardest fight by far has been the third dungeon FOE, which has such a huge evade/dodge rate (at least for the level my guys are) that I couldn't reliably land Vile Reach-boosted Toxic Slices on it, so the battle dragged on way longer than I wanted and wore down on my resources more than usual. It was one of the few times Naoto's speed was a liability, because she kept going before protagonist, who is my Sukunda user. And he self-heals quite a lot, so the fight can really go long if you miss too much. I did win, but it drained enough of my resources that I had to leave the dungeon and would be inclined to try to avoid them in the future as a result, which means they're at least doing their job as puzzles. Unlike the second dungeon ones I won't just plough through these rather than solving puzzles.
I like the third labyrinth's gimmick also is it more or does the 3rd labyrinth give off a
Spoiler:
Corpse Party vibe

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2014, 08:17:15 PM »
Finally died for the first time against the second FOE in the third dungeon. Yup, that's a pretty hard monster. I did fuck up and mis-target a resurrection at a key moment, but I probably would have lost eventually anyway.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2014, 11:10:19 PM »
Finally died for the first time against the second FOE in the third dungeon. Yup, that's a pretty hard monster. I did fuck up and mis-target a resurrection at a key moment, but I probably would have lost eventually anyway.
Was it the
Spoiler:
Baby Foe?
Or something that might make me scream? Hmm... also I might switch up my team soon since I need to level more people often.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:12:54 PM by MewMewHeart »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2014, 12:33:02 AM »
Was it the
Spoiler:
Baby Foe?
Or something that might make me scream? Hmm... also I might switch up my team soon since I need to level more people often.

No, it is much, MUCH worse. I'm not kidding, the second FOE makes the
Spoiler:
baby
look tame. I love this dungeon. :D

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2014, 05:09:06 AM »
Oh hey garlyle I found you on the etrian odyssey tumblr network :v

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2014, 08:59:18 AM »
Oh hey garlyle I found you on the etrian odyssey tumblr network :v
entirely possible 8D

there's quite a few of us on tumblr

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »
I know but it's cool to run into MotK people around the Internet regardless :p

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2014, 08:32:24 AM »
I caved in and bought Persona Q, even tho i swore never to play EO games again after playing EO 1-4 and Untold.
I can't resist it, the temptation is just to stronk. Even in my Persona F.O.E.!
Okay, now that's out of my system. Good.
Anyway, should i pick P3 or P4 MC? Is there a significant difference?

Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2014, 01:14:06 PM »
I caved in and bought Persona Q, even tho i swore never to play EO games again after playing EO 1-4 and Untold.
I can't resist it, the temptation is just to stronk. Even in my Persona F.O.E.!
Okay, now that's out of my system. Good.
Anyway, should i pick P3 or P4 MC? Is there a significant difference?
It's up to you.  Which hero you pick determines which team you have for the duration of the first stratum (You have access to everyone after the first stratum), how various scenes play out, dialogue, and other minor details (including different versions of the battle theme).  Eventually you'll want to play both sides and can NG+ onto the other (there's even a super bonus boss if you do), but just go with your gut.  Note that whichever you play will be a 'blank slate' character like they were in P3/4, but the other hero will get voicing and personality as an actual character.

You will always have to have your chosen MC in the party though, it's worth noting.  You can of course include the other too, but it's up to you.  P3MC is heavily magic-oriented; P4MC is much more of an all-rounder.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2014, 02:25:28 PM »
From a battle-oriented standpoint, I generally hear that P4MC is so balanced it hurts, whilst P3MC has good magic/speed/luck making him great for a lot of tasks and a better unique skill (but has to deal with an annoying dark weakness)

But that in the end, even P4MC is still one of the better characters, so you can really just pick whichever you want to and you'll be fine.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

CF7

« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2014, 02:39:31 PM »
Ok thanks. Funny, i always built P3MC as a magic user. Let's go with that. =)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2014, 02:16:50 AM »
Oh god what the hell the FOE on stratum 3's third floor just cast
Spoiler:
Diarahan
how is that even fair ahhh

I will give PQ major props for managing to make FOEs scary again later on.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2014, 02:58:45 AM »
Oh god what the hell the FOE on stratum 3's third floor just cast
Spoiler:
Diarahan
how is that even fair ahhh

I will give PQ major props for managing to make FOEs scary again later on.

Are you talking about
Spoiler:
the red doll
? If so I think it either only does that once a battle or has an extremely low chance of casting it, because I've fought it two or three times and only saw it do that once.

Agreed, the later ones are more threatening, if only because they
Spoiler:
seem to love tossing around Mamudoon and Mahamaon and TPK out of the blue. Fortunately after the first time that happens you can just bring the appropriate pin...

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2014, 03:12:19 AM »
I usually have the P3MC as my poisoner, fire, thunder, and physical user which I know is a weird combination.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:20:50 AM by MewMewHeart »

CF7

« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2014, 09:43:35 AM »
So far having buckets of fun. My first TPK was to
Spoiler:
those 5 swords
on the second floor of the first stratum. I expected to fight some, maybe 3, but not 5. That was too much. They all spammed toxic slice and that was not fun.
Party is MC, Akihiko, Mitsuru, Yukari and Ken.
P.S. Chibified Mitsuru is too damn cute.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:55:15 AM by CF7 »

CF7

« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2014, 03:57:25 PM »
Had my sweet revenge against swords with them being str-bound, sleeping and frozen to death.
Cleared the second floor of Alice labyrinth.
Not sure if i am going to swap my team around when i unlock P4 cast, but MC is my main magic. Akihito and Mitsuru  are my hybrid physical/magic attackers. Yukari basically just heals hp/statuses/binds and shoots things otherwise. Ken is actually pretty useful with sizable chunk of enemies being weak to light, and due to how sub-personas and boost mechanics work, he's casting Hama practically for free in every battle. And Fuuka's special skill is awesome. % based healing every turn for just 1 point is just too good.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2014, 10:46:30 PM »
Fair warning to everyone who hasn't cleared the third dungeon yet, be very careful transcribing the clues to one of the puzzles correctly. That should go without saying, but based on the way they're written it's easy to mess up, and if you do there's basically no way to solve the puzzle. You'll probably know it when you see it.

Spoiler:
It's the quadrant puzzle. I somehow missed the + at the very beginning of the first equation, which made it so the pairs didn't line up correctly. Without the entire equation starting with a + or - the obvious solution was that the letters referred to locations (the rooms?) and the + and - were directions (certain doors?), but obviously that solution doesn't work for many reasons. I wandered around for like an hour before the game started bombarding me with clues.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2014, 01:18:03 AM »
Fair warning to everyone who hasn't cleared the third dungeon yet, be very careful transcribing the clues to one of the puzzles correctly. That should go without saying, but based on the way they're written it's easy to mess up, and if you do there's basically no way to solve the puzzle. You'll probably know it when you see it.

Spoiler:
It's the quadrant puzzle. I somehow missed the + at the very beginning of the first equation, which made it so the pairs didn't line up correctly. Without the entire equation starting with a + or - the obvious solution was that the letters referred to locations (the rooms?) and the + and - were directions (certain doors?), but obviously that solution doesn't work for many reasons. I wandered around for like an hour before the game started bombarding me with clues.
Is it the one that
Spoiler:
Naoto figures it out you know the one with the schedule
or another one?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2014, 02:30:14 AM »
Is it the one that
Spoiler:
Naoto figures it out you know the one with the schedule
or another one?

It's not that one, it's a later (much harder?) one. Although she seems to do that with all of them if you wait long enough.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2014, 02:39:13 AM »
It's not that one, it's a later (much harder?) one. Although she seems to do that with all of them if you wait long enough.
I'M TOO LAZY FOR ALL OF THESE PUZZLES SO GAME PLEASE COME HELP!  :V

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2014, 05:36:18 AM »
that one is terrible and dumb and having naoto solve it for you is right and proper

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2014, 05:40:48 AM »
I'm kind of sad I didn't have the right information to be able to figure it out, because I want to know if I would've been able to get it. I think I had the right idea at one point but wrote it off because of incomplete clues, but that might just be hindsight. And even after I had all of the pieces of the puzzle I got some things reversed the first time