Author Topic: New Writers Contest  (Read 37763 times)

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
New Writers Contest
« on: November 22, 2010, 08:01:34 AM »
I have a bad habit.  A terrible habit.  One that a lot of people share.  I'll be perusing the fiction boards and I'll see a story that's good, but has a few flaws.  And sometimes, I'll kick myself into action and post, but I always feel bad posting about the flaws.  Especially if the work is mostly good.  It seems like nitpicking.  And I know from experience having random people critique your stuff always stings a little.

But praise alone can't help a writer grow.  The paper I learned the most from was the one I got a D on.  That's what taught me how to write in college, and similarly a bit of nitpicking or sometimes even complaining can help an author learn a lot about writing.

Of course most writers hunt out commentary, scarce as it may be.  Hunting down a proof reader can help a lot.  But it's hard to approach random people for proofing, and it's still only one voice.  As a writer lots of voices are always useful to get a feel for your audience.

Thus some of us have kicked around an idea we hope will get constructive critiques to the people that could use them the most, our newest and greenest writers.  Not that we don't need critiques as well.  Everyone can use a bit of constructive criticism.  But with this we hope to advance the library as a whole, so we can all work together to improve our respective styles.

Thus I present:

The New Writers Contest!

I'm sure you're now wondering how a writing contest can help you with your writing.  Well that's because, in addition to deciding who wins the contest, the judges will be doing a full critique of each fic submitted.  This critique will be PMed to each contestant, so no matter what you'll get some useful feedback.  You don't need to worry about your work sitting there with no visible readers.  At least, not here.

Of course this is a contest.  And no contest is complete without a prize.  The person who wins this little challenge will receive Spechul Membah .

Now firstly we have to give the new writers a fair chance.  So sadly those who have won a Weekly Writing Challenge in the past are not eligible.  In addition, these are busy times, and while we aren't looking for terribly long works, we don't want people to feel rushed either.  So the dead line will be February 1st.

Lastly we don't want to leave people with no sense of direction.  On the other hand we don't want to overly limit writers too.

Robert A Heinlein once said there were only three stories.  'Boy meets Girl,' 'The Little Tailor' and 'A Man Learns a Lesson.'  A person could, by using variants of these, create every story ever.  For example, girl meets girl, or a man doesn't learn a lesson.

Thus the two topics to help you along:
?Two friends meet?
and
?A Touhou Learns a Lesson.?
In addition feel free to tweak the topics slightly.  For example ?Two friends part? is a legitimate topic as well.  These are more to give you ideas then a solid rule for judging..

We look forward to your entries.  Whether you enter just because you can, or to finally drag a real critique out of the board, we're happy to be able to read your work and help you become better writers.    Because skilled writers benefit all of us.

Re: New Writers Contest
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 07:52:51 PM »
I'm definitely going to give this a shot. Seems like a great idea.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 08:02:33 PM »
I'm in.  When we've finished our stories, do we just post them in this thread?

☆ Check my profile for links to my sites! ☆
[21:12] <OneLoveOnePurvis> *Black as hell and bitter as love. That is coffee.*
[17:42] <Amra> Himiko's one of the people that's really cute but sometimes art shifts into like hard jojo-style
[17:42] <Amra> as she does something out of character

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:13:58 PM »
Aight, let's do this. Though, I'm a bit hesitant to call myself a "new" writer...

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 08:15:23 PM »
I'm in.  When we've finished our stories, do we just post them in this thread?
Yep.   No point in writing a story to hide it away right?

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 08:21:32 PM »
I have a question. Does it have to be Touhou-related, or is other stuff allowed too?
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 09:21:10 PM »
Sounds like fun. I'll know whether I can do it by February 1st.

Also, never feel guilty about critiquing me. I can be pretty direct and even harsh because lets face it; fanfiction is already a waste of time. Bad fanfiction is a boring waste of time, which is much worse. So I certainly don't want to bore you while wasting your time.

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 09:27:16 PM »
fanfiction is already a waste of time.

having fun creating something that people have fun reading is a waste of time

yeah okay

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 09:31:41 PM »
I have a question. Does it have to be Touhou-related, or is other stuff allowed too?
Hm...

Since the contest is about writing in general as opposed to the weekly writing contests I think it can be allowed.  However part of writing is knowing your target audience as well, so non Touhou work on a Touhou board will inevitably be at a disadvantage.

Also as a more general thing we're looking more for stories of moderate length.  Nothing White Rose sized.  You can learn a lot more polishing the details of a short story and we can give much more focused advice there.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 09:32:53 PM »
So, you're looking for something longer than, say, my shorts.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 09:38:30 PM »
So, you're looking for something longer than, say, my shorts.
Those shorts are actually of pretty good length.  Between that and say 5 times that.  It depends on your personal style as always.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 09:45:20 PM »
having fun creating something that people have fun reading is a waste of time

yeah okay

Don't misunderstand; fun itself is in many ways a waste of time. I'm not going to be able to take back the time I wasted playing Super Mario Bros., watching CSI reruns, or reading fanfiction, but I did those things because they were fun rather than practical or productive.

At the very least, I want to make sure that I'm not boring when trying to do fun things.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 02:02:33 AM »
If your story doesn't exceed the character limits for a single post, you're fine. If you go over, too, that's okay, but try not to make your story max out five different posts. That's just .... overly extravagant.

The first, and only time, I won the Weekly Writing Challenge was because I had a story end up breaking the character limit when I realized that nothing said they had to be short stories - just posted within the time limit.

But don't assume that quantity makes up for quality; it was already close with what I had, and future entries that broke the character limit per-post didn't just automatically win.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:12:55 AM by Tokikofex »

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 02:43:50 AM »
I'm new writer here. How can I join this contest? Just post my story here?
Alice Margatroid

Now writing:
Negative Explosion Chapter 3

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 03:00:25 AM »
I'm new writer here. How can I join this contest? Just post my story here?
Indeed.  Polish it up as best you can, then post it in this thread.  Just remember only one entry per contestant please.  ;)

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 08:36:45 PM »
Eeeeeh, I'm sorta tempted but I'm no good at keeping a story together and usually write on the fly and only if I have to.
If I feel motivated the maybe, just maybe something will pop up
My first attempt at storywriting, looking for critique

Avatar schizophrenia? I don't know what you're talking about.

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 09:16:27 PM »
Eeeeeh, I'm sorta tempted but I'm no good at keeping a story together and usually write on the fly and only if I have to.
If I feel motivated the maybe, just maybe something will pop up

this is pretty much how I do it and people seem to like my stuff

Kaisou

• RuhBAYOMbee
  • YEET!!!! *throws pollen puff*
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 06:29:22 AM »
Ooh, this looks like fun! I wanna join! But it's going to be a first-time writing thing, so I'll do my best! What's better about this is that the deadline is so far, so it doesn't feel like a chore! Oh, and it's something I want to do!

Can we receive help from anybody at all? Like any kind of help at all? I feel so dumb for asking this :ohdear:
Hi. Might put something new here but idk.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 06:38:21 AM »
Depends on the help you need, of course, but yeah.

I mean, it's not like us 'old' writers don't rely on and draw on our peers for inspiration and proofreading.

Except for me, cuz I'm antisocial awesome like that

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 02:14:49 PM »
Just a word of advice:

Don't write like this guy. (Contains mildly NSFW language.)

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

jaxter0987

• Umiiro Shoujo ni Miserarete
  • Umi is love, Umi is life
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 04:17:40 AM »
 :ohdear: I feel like an idiot for asking but...

Question: "Two friends meet" as in story about how, say marisa and alice, meet? or can it be about two people that are unlikely to be friends meet, say nitori and yuugi?

and "a Touhou learns a lesson" a touhou character? maker? fan?player?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:19:58 AM by jaxter0987 »

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 04:37:10 AM »
"Two friends meet" as in story about how, say marisa and alice, meet? or can it be about two people that are unlikely to be friends meet, say nitori and yuugi?
Either one is just fine. 

and "a Touhou learns a lesson" a touhou character? maker? fan?player?
I was going for character, but if you think you can make an interesting and involving story using one of the later feel free to try.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 04:37:39 AM »
I'unno...the aspect of me having fun while writing for a contest is appealing but, knowing me, I'll take it WAY too seriously and end up like I was with NNWM...which is something I don't want to do...

So yeah, I'm on the fence about this...
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 04:44:51 AM »
I'unno...the aspect of me having fun while writing for a contest is appealing but, knowing me, I'll take it WAY too seriously and end up like I was with NNWM...which is something I don't want to do...

So yeah, I'm on the fence about this...
Well you aren't eligible for the prize because you've taken the weekly writing challenge three times (beating me every time  :V), but feel free to toss in a short work if you want a general critique.  Not sure how helpful I'd be but some of the better judges might have some good pointers.

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 05:39:04 AM »
I think I'll write something for this.  :derp:

Kaisou

• RuhBAYOMbee
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 05:47:06 AM »
Oh, I just thought of another question after rereading this.

Since the contest is about writing in general as opposed to the weekly writing contests I think it can be allowed.  However part of writing is knowing your target audience as well, so non Touhou work on a Touhou board will inevitably be at a disadvantage.
What if it has an original character, but the character's with the Touhou characters?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 05:51:23 AM »
What if it has an original character, but the character's with the Touhou characters?
Just avoid the pitfalls of original character use and creation and it should be fine.

Kaisou

• RuhBAYOMbee
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 05:57:20 AM »
Just avoid the pitfalls of original character use and creation and it should be fine.
You mean like the Touhou character going out of character when confronting the original creation? Or the super long creation time?

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 05:58:49 AM »
You mean like the Touhou character going out of character when confronting the original creation? Or the super long creation time?

the original character being a self insert mary sue, the original character being inexplicably perfect with paper-thin flaws, the original character being the focus of everyone in the setting for some reason, etc.

Kaisou

• RuhBAYOMbee
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 06:15:25 AM »
Ah, that makes perfect sense. OK, I shall try to avoid those!!

Being honest for myself, the last two are the easiest to avoid, but the first is kinda hard because I'm still kinda unclear on what a Mary Sue is. Anybody replying to this post doesn't have to tell me, I'm reading about it right now.