Author Topic: The MoTK VN Project - I turn your stories into visual novels!  (Read 30718 times)

Alright so as I mentioned this in the parlour thread earlier, I am offering to make Visual Novels out of people's Touhou fanfiction works, although other kinds of stories are fine too. Basically you people will supply me with stories and media and I'll put it all together.

This thread will be for requests. When you make a request, include the title of your story in your post.

Once you've made a request, there are some things you will need to do first before I can make your story into a VN.

What I need
  • A story or script: You can use your existing stories or make a new one, doesn't really matter to me. To make things easier for everyone, save your story with notepad++ because it keeps track of line count on the side margin. Also give the file the same name as your story.
  • Images: Basically you'll need two kinds of images, backgrounds and cutins of characters. You'll also need a title screen image. The number of images you use is entirely up to you. If you want nothing but a single image in the background, that's fine with me. (although that would kinda defeat the purpose...)
    Backgrounds should all be the same size. 800x600 is ideal, but you can have different resolutions if you want. Cutins should also be consistent in size, and fit in the background (don't make them too small or too big, unless you want them to for whatever reason)
    You can either team up with an artist, draw them yourself, or just use images from the internet. Nothing is going to be sold for money, so there shouldn't be much of an issue of using other people's stuff.
  • Music: This is more or less optional, but a VN without any sound is pretty boring. It would be best to look through your story and think of fitting music to use.
  • Sound effects: Also optional. If you can't find all of the sound effects you need, just make a note of it in the storyboard I can see if I can make do with what I have.
  • A storyboard: This is to outline how everything will happen. The basic format should be something like this:

Start
    Fade in
    Play musicZUN
    Show background1
    Show lines 1 to 10 (in the notepad++ document with your story)
    Transition to background2
    Show line 11
    Show Happy chen
    Play CHEEEEEN sound effect
    etc
    (funny enough this is basically how Ren'Py code works)

Now this might be kinda time consuming, so you don't have to outline every little thing. You can shorten it up a bit an generalize at some parts. For instance you can say stuff like, "generally use Chen!happy except whenever she is sad use Chen!sad" "whenever Ran chengasms play CHEEEN sound effect" etc, and then leave all the hard work to me :V.
    You can also specify things like transitions, text color, fonts, screen effects (like all the flashy stuff in Umineko), whatever else you can think of, and I'll do my best to incorporate it into the VN.
    Oh yeah another note, you can also specify the text to either be at the bottom of the screen, or cover the whole screen.
  • An overall outline: This is only necessary if you want to make a multipath story where the reader makes choices and stuff. Basically I need a flowchart of what choices lead to what paths and so on.

I think that's about everything. If you really want to be fancy you can add things like custom buttons or menus, otherwise I'm going with the Ren'Py defaults.

Once you've accumulated everything on the list, zip it up in a .rar or .zip file, upload it onto the internet (preferably mediafire), and PM me the link.

Now get crackin'!

Current Projects
Down On The Corner by Tengukami - DONE! Get it here
Guest of the Moon Princess by Tengukami - Writing complete, waiting for storyboard&outline
Ran - In progress, currently image searching
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:15:50 PM by Suikama »

Gpop

Re: I turn your stories into visual novels!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:16:03 AM »
I'll definitely be interested in this, but I'll give out more info on it once I'm back on a PC.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 04:33:59 AM »
Hmm, I should have a production name, like Suikama Studios or something :V

I suck at names though hurrr

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 04:46:45 AM »
Robo Unicorn Productions? :V

Also. I should make a fanfic just to do this.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 04:50:24 AM »
There was something here once. Wonder what...

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 04:58:46 AM »
You know you want to
oh baby :smug:

I'd still need the stuff from you though :V

Robo Unicorn Productions? :V

Also. I should make a fanfic just to do this.
Eh, not that original considering how popular RUA is now :V

Chaore

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 05:05:49 AM »
You do original things?!  :o

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 10:09:29 AM »
Shouldn't we need to make different "route" for the story? Lika most of visual novel, the plot changes according to our action?
I'd like to do Touhou Dark War, since it has dialogues all over. But see how it's going, I think it's just as dark as Tsukihime or Higurashi...

I'll stalk you until it's done Suikama (:<

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 05:54:49 PM »
Shouldn't we need to make different "route" for the story? Lika most of visual novel, the plot changes according to our action?
I'd like to do Touhou Dark War, since it has dialogues all over. But see how it's going, I think it's just as dark as Tsukihime or Higurashi...

I'll stalk you until it's done Suikama (:<
You don't have to have different routes. Not all Visual Novels have different routes, like Higurashi.

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 07:05:07 PM »
Well just to make it more fun to "play", than just "read" :D Just a suggestion tho.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 05:06:37 AM »
I'm currently working on outlining a VN. I'm glad you're serious about this. And I'm also glad I read a pile of "Choose Your Own Adventure" books when I was in grade school.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Yamachanadu

• Apparently pre-Yamatrend
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 03:43:02 PM »
y'know what would make an awesome VN?  Douchebag in Gensokyo, you know you want to do it. :V
<%convider> with the nose on top it looks like a lovecraftian sam fisher

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 08:35:24 PM »
Bring me the materials and then we'll talk

Yamachanadu

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 02:00:32 AM »
Arg, the lack of search function is not helping me.  Someone else with more forum-fu will likely link you the story.

Yes, I'm a horrible, horrible lazy person.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:04:34 AM by Yamachanadu »

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 02:24:46 AM »
Arg, the lack of search function is not helping me.  Someone else with more forum-fu will likely link you the story.

Yes, I'm a horrible, horrible lazy person.

He probably didn't mean (just) the story, though. But the things mentioned above: cut-ins, backgrounds, music, sound effects, etc.

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 02:27:52 AM »
I don't care what you do or how you use it, I just want you to make use of the song "Superfast Jellyfish"
Wotters gonna' wot

Yamachanadu

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 03:21:05 AM »
Quite aware, I wasn't really serious but more people reading that fic can't possibly be a bad thing.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 04:45:46 AM »
DiG -

OH GOD WHAT IS THIS WHY DID I MISS THIS I DAMN NEAR KILLED MYSELF LAUGHING

thank you for posting that. Please continue with the original conversation at hand, la la laa

Also, DiG in VN format...

Keine : Thank me? Why?

Options: Put it in
Put it in
Put it in
Flex arms, then put it in

[ruro]Due to lacking a sense of humour, this is one of the reasons I hate DiG so much.[/ruro]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:19:36 AM by Signum Rurouni »

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 05:09:50 AM »
With the permission of Chaore of course, I think we should turn Chen's Day Out into a visual novel.

Think about it.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 10:42:10 AM »
Once I start updating Gensou City Chronicles, that could turn out awesomely as a VN.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 03:53:22 PM »
White Rose in VN form would be the longest, hardest, most annoying project ever :V

However, Sweet Dreams would not. Hm. Augh, I wish I wasn't so bad at art so I could draw my own cut-ins. :<

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 04:08:10 PM »
ಠ_ಠ

I can't make digital art to save my life. :< Or any editing program more complex than MSPaint, anyway. Cut-ins and the like are beyond me. It is sad.

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 04:10:12 PM »
Someone direct Formless God to this thread

I know he's done cutins before V:<

Chaore

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 08:33:04 PM »
With the permission of Chaore of course, I think we should turn Chen's Day Out into a visual novel.

Think about it.

I'm flattered, but CDO isn't a fic. :V

Spidere

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 10:03:18 PM »
I'm flattered, but CDO isn't a fic. :V

Yes, I know, but it would make a great visual novel. Or RPG. I'm just saying, mostly because I may not contribute actions, but I still read every new post mostly because it's very interesting, seeing a "what if" story like that.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 12:26:25 AM »
A thought occurs: RPG stories would be really neat sources for VN plots and routes. Maybe they don't all have to be followed to the letter, but RPG's stories tend to be interactive fiction, as opposed to PSL's static fiction. The former is way more viable to convey in VN format, if only because the choices and routes have practically been prewritten already.

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 12:30:23 AM »
A thought occurs: RPG stories would be really neat sources for VN plots and routes. Maybe they don't all have to be followed to the letter, but RPG's stories tend to be interactive fiction, as opposed to PSL's static fiction. The former is way more viable to convey in VN format, if only because the choices and routes have practically been prewritten already.
Eh they're both equally viable really

You get the real time interaction for RPG stories, and the sound, graphics, and visual effects for kinetic (non-pathed) stories

Anyways it's totally up to you guys :V

Spidere

Re: The MoTK VN Project - I turn your stories into visual novels!
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 12:41:06 AM »
C'mon Chaore! Give it the go ahead!