Author Topic: Ask a Writer! This Week - an unmatched sock!  (Read 36722 times)

Joveus Molai

• Bear the Word, and the Word will bear you.
Re: Ask a Writer! This Week - Roukanken!
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2014, 04:18:13 AM »
Alright! Thanks again Rou for joining us! Looks like the next guest is UnendingEmpire. As I'm still in the middle of my trip, what applies to Rou applies to Unending.

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
  • Cultured Tastes Since 1994
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2014, 08:19:08 PM »
I'm ready when you are :) might bring another one-shot from FF to here if only to bump my one-shots thread alongside this ^_^;
EDIT: Scratch that, that'd be a necro post.  Guess I'm starting a new thread, lol
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:21:08 PM by UnendingEmpire »

Joveus Molai

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2014, 08:59:43 PM »
For clarification: Unending was chosen as the next guest since my post specified that the next post after Roukanken's last one would be picked. However, as I wasn't as clear on the matter as I should have been, I would be happy to pick Esi as the next guest in compensation if everyone is OK with it.

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2014, 10:40:50 PM »
Quote from: Joveus Molai
What got you into writing fiction?
I'll be honest, I have no idea.  I know I've always enjoyed creating things, starting with music at a young age then moving on to stories.  Never anything written though, at least not at the time.  I guess the best way to answer this would be to say that I've always been creating fiction, but writing it was mainly just a form of maturing for me.  That, and it's way easier to keep track of a story once you write it down ^_^;
What sources outside of Touhou do you draw inspiration from?
It depends.  You can't write a horror fic if your source of inspiration is freakin' Lucky Star, after all.  Since I tend to do a lot of comedy with slight yuri undertones, I guess my biggest inspirations would be the comedy anime I watch.  Namely, Zetsubou-Sensei and WataMote are two big ones for me, though I'll often toss in this or that slice of inspiration from another thing.  Obviously, if I write a crossover, the big source of inspiration would be the thing I'm crossing over with, lol.
Which Touhou character is your favorite to write? The most difficult write?
I have a few favorites for different reasons, though I've taken an odd liking to Raiko lately.  For mile-a-minute no-holds-barred comedy, I'd say my top two are Suika and Shinmyoumaru.  One's a loli drunkard who could probably beat Atlas at arm wrestling, and the other is a naive princess who, at least when I write her, has a very "VERY ENTHUSIASTIC!  ALL THE TIME!" thing going on.  Beyond that, Mokou is nice to write once in a while, and I've gotten plenty of praise for my Sanae too.  The most difficult one to write might be, at least from the ones I have written and that I can think of, Yukari.  How do I properly portray somebody whose very purpose for being is something I can't get a grip on?  Yukari's all sorts of mysterious, so I try to write her as little as possible since it gives me a hard time. ^_^;
Out of all the stories you've written (Touhou-related or not), which one is your favorite?
I had a Touhou fic called "A KaguMoko School Story" about an alternate-universe city called Tohohana.  It's an AU I've visited a few times since then, but the KaguMoko story was well-written and flowed kinda nicely.  Add a couple of OCs for good measure, toss in this or that big plot twist, adapt Mokou & Kaguya from canon to our world as best as possible, and the whole thing just sort of comes together.  I also had another one called "The Ultimate Showdown: Kaguya Vs. Mokou" which was a full-blown comedy fic.  That's probably a close second if not a full tie because of the weird scenarios I got to use, running gags in the story (at Reisen's expense), and a smooth flow from the two being enemies to friends to something more.  So pretty much every KaguMoko story I actually finished. ^_^;
Outside of Touhou fiction, what other works have you written fiction for?
Surprisingly, just two, at least that I can think of.  Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, for which I recall having two fics (both starring Sayaka, the best magical girl) and a Touhou crossover, and Yu-Gi-Oh, though that fic was more like "write one chapter and forget it exists" ha-ha.  I've planned to do ones for Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon tons of times, but somehow I never seem to get them started.  I even make maps of my own Pokemon regions and figure out the decks of each Yu-Gi-Oh duelist, but getting all the ideas together and turning them into a story only seems to happen with things about magical girls, be they from here or Gensokyo.
What do you find to be the most rewarding aspect of writing? The most challenging?
The most rewarding aspect of writing is hands-down seeing what others think.  The "this was good" reviews, the "this part needs work" ones, even the "I'm sorry, but this just sucked" reviews are all ones I enjoy reading.  It's a nice feeling, even when I'm being told I did a bad job, because I at least know people are reading it, so I didn't just write for absolutely nothing to happen.  The most challenging part for me, as my answer to the last question may imply, is getting a fic started, especially in the last year or so.  When I do get one started, I have trouble keeping ongoing fics that last more than three chapters, so I stick to one-shots these days.  Even then it's a bit tough, since most of my mental plot bunnies have been reduced to smut or blatant fetishism that I wouldn't feel comfortable posting even if it was really a nice story.  I hope to work on fixing this soon. ^_^;
If there is one aspect of your writing you would want to improve, what is it?
I'm always told my pace is a bit fast.  But I'm okay with that.  The one aspect I'd like to improve is how deep I can make each character.  My deepest character is easily Sanae, but a lot of them are quite a bit shallower when I write them.  Reimu, for one, is pretty much just the grouchy "give me donations" type.  Suika, despite the praise I gave her earlier, is little more than a drunken ball of "I'm gonna go do this because I wanna do this."  Alice isn't much beyond the typical tsundere, and the worst offender is, of all people, Patchouli.  As of when I'm answering this question, my Patchouli has literally no personality at all.  I'd like to get better with portraying each girl differently if nothing else.
When writing Touhou fiction, how do you usually approach official canon material? Do you build on top of it; do you go around it; or do you try and stay within it as much as possible? Something else?
It depends on the fic.  A lot of times, I'll just go "You can take your canon and shove it, here's what I wanna do" to a certain extent, most notably in how my Mokou and my Kaguya have visited the Netherworld at least twice each.  But some things in canon I really prefer to keep canon.  For one, though it barely counts as canon, I like to have a small pond behind the Hakurei Shrine where Genjii lives if I should ever need him.  Another canon I kind of like is how Kagerou apparently has a thick coat of fur.  I haven't done anything with it yet, but...I might down the line.  Then there's some stuff where you sort of have to do what you want, like with Ruukoto.  Where's Ruukoto?  Did Reimu deactivate her?  I guess in summary, I just take the canon bits I like, then look at the ones I might need. ^_^;
What are some of your favorite things to read, including but not limited to books?
Anime subs.  I also like reading Touhou doujins (rarely NSFW) with my downtime if I legitimately have nothing to do and get to thinking "Huh, maybe I should read this or that doujin again."  I might actually read some Miko Miko Suika after I answer these.  Short of that, two big ones for me are strategies for Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, the two things I most competitively follow.  I don't really do as much reading as I should...
What particular genres do you enjoy reading? What particular genres do you enjoy writing?
I'm all for the comedy genre.  I've been told a lot of times I have a nice comedic spark about me, so I want to try and use that to my advantage to cover my flaws when writing and hope a little deep down that nobody notices the flaws since they're too busy laughing.  So for writing, my favorite is the comedy genre, usually with slight yuri undertones.  I also enjoy writing slice-of-life fics a fair bit too.  For reading, as long as I like the premise, I'll read up just about anything.  If I had to put out a guess though, my two favorites would be comedy and fantasy.  Which would explain a few things to me.
Do you have any big projects we can look forward to on the horizon?
Regrettably, no.  I don't really have the concentration (or stability right now) to write a longer-lasting, grander-scale fanfic or anything of the sort.  But rest assured, if I do end up having a big project underway, it'll probably take weeks for me to shut up about it. ^_~
Is there a word of advice you'd like to give to aspiring fiction writers?
Don't give up!  The biggest problem with a lot of fanfic writers - myself verrrrrry included - is that they'll start a story, then just...stop.  Might be after one chapter, or might be after twenty, or maybe they'll stop mid-draft and go "Okay, yeah, I'm done."  This is the worst way for a fic to die; slowly and quietly.  If something doesn't feel right, or the flow of your story feels off, just taking a second look.  Ask yourself, "Does this part have to be here?"  If it does, maybe you just have to re-write it a bit.  If not, maybe rewind a little further back and see where you can pick up without hurting the story.  A story is, in a sense, a part of the person who writes it, so you'll have to take good care of it just as you would your arms or ribs.  That also means seeing what damages how well it flows.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2014, 02:41:04 AM »
For clarification: Unending was chosen as the next guest since my post specified that the next post after Roukanken's last one would be picked. However, as I wasn't as clear on the matter as I should have been, I would be happy to pick Esi as the next guest in compensation if everyone is OK with it.

I can wait another week, no problem. Or two, if someone slips in and beats me to the punch! :O

@UE: What sort of published literature do you like to read? Do you have a favorite author?

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2014, 03:14:51 AM »
@UE: What sort of published literature do you like to read? Do you have a favorite author?
I haven't read any published literature in quite a while besides what I mentioned earlier, if that counts.  I'm typically a fan of novels of varied types, since as somebody who loves to create worlds, it's nice to see what worlds others create.  As far as authors, I guess I have a couple.  Two authors I always like reading from are Stephen King and...oh bugger, I forgot his name.  Guess I'll just end this answer with Stephen King then, and a strong recommendation for Christopher Moore. :)
Seriously though, Lamb has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read.

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2014, 01:47:14 PM »
Is there a method to how you describe characters and objects? For me, I usually find myself using scents to describe location (e.g. pungent aroma of spices, slight wafts of incense, the musky scent of mildew, etc.)

What do you do to counteract "white room syndrome"? You know, when you're trying to describe a location, but it kinda falls flat because of the lack in detail.

How much effort and planning do you place in your writing?

What's your preferred POV?

How much experience do you have in writing?

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2014, 04:29:52 PM »
Quote from: Unfortunate
Is there a method to how you describe characters and objects? For me, I usually find myself using scents to describe location (e.g. pungent aroma of spices, slight wafts of incense, the musky scent of mildew, etc.)
I use whatever I feel is important from the perspective of the characters in question or how the characters themselves may see it, albeit in my own words.  I'm also a fan of using numerous adjectives that really mean the same thing (e.g. dimunitive, tiny, and little all for Shinmyoumaru) if I'm referring to something multiple times.  If I think the smell might be important to the story somehow, I'll go ahead and add that too.
What do you do to counteract "white room syndrome"? You know, when you're trying to describe a location, but it kinda falls flat because of the lack in detail.
Whenever that happens, I'll either take a second look around how the room looks in my head and add little details (one example is how my Sanae's bedroom has lots of little anime figurines and such from our world) or I'll make sure to focus extra-hard on how the characters are described while in the "white room" in question.
How much effort and planning do you place in your writing?
Not as much as I rightfully should ^_^; at least not for effort.  I like to think the planning part is one of my strongest points, but then when it comes time to actually write it all down...not so great anymore.  There always comes a point where the planning just outright stops and I begin to wing it (the examples are all over my FF page) word by word, but I'd give myself a 4/5 on planning and a 1.5/5 on effort.
What's your preferred POV?
That seems to depend on a couple of things, including if I'm getting "POV" right here.  Shows how great a writer I am, lol.  If that's "point of view" like I think it is, then I'll usually do things from a third person view around the main character, now and then going to see what someone somewhere else is doing if it's important.  But an exception seems to have appeared lately, and her name is Raiko Horikawa.  For one reason or another, writing Raiko from a first-person view just feels so...raito right.  Because of this, she's rapidly becoming one of my favorites to write for, as I stated earlier.
How much experience do you have in writing?
According to my FF page, almost three years.  But I'd say that play-by-post roleplays (not to be confused with the parsing ones we have here, even though they're way more fun for some reason) also count as writing in their own respect, so if I add up my RP experience with all my fanfic experience...something like seven years total, I believe? 

Joveus Molai

Re: Ask a Writer! This Week - Unending Empire!
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2014, 04:30:31 AM »
Joveus' note: Whew, I'm finally back home from my trip!

Q: I see you're also running a Quest featuring Murasa. In your opinion, what are some of the biggest differences between writing for a Quest and writing more conventional fiction?

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2014, 03:56:59 PM »
Q: I see you're also running a Quest featuring Murasa. In your opinion, what are some of the biggest differences between writing for a Quest and writing more conventional fiction?
As far as I can tell, there's one vital difference, but boy it's a big one.  In a conventional fanfic, at least for the most part, it's all you.  Your plot, your cast, your ideas only until you reach the point where you start "hearing" the characters in question in your head.  In a Quest...not so much.  Sure, the parser is still in charge for the most part, but even though that'd be me in this case, I'm in almost no way in charge of where the plot goes.  It's still my duty to keep things moving, of course, but without other players, a parsing RP would just be stuck and would die a slow and quiet death.  A couple examples are below.

1: When the players decided to draw Byakuren's face over Miko's on the 10,000-yen bill they started with.  I wouldn't have thought of it, since it's sort of my headcanon that Miko's been crudely pasting her face on all the 10,000s to make the depiction more accurate.

2: The items everyone agreed to buy at Kourindou.  If it were me, the megaphone and boomerang wouldn't be there, but there are some aspects where the parser's in charge, and some where the players are.

The fact that parsing RPs have proven more fun to me in some ways than the play-by-posts I'm used to could also be seen as a difference since some would argue that "a Touhou RP where you can't have OCs sort of counts as fanfiction" but I'm on and off with that one. ^_^;

Joveus Molai

« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2014, 04:12:38 AM »
  And that's it for this week's...

**~ASK A WRITER!~**

Let's have a round of applause for our guest, UnendingEmpire.

*Thunderous applause, cheers*

We wish Unending the best in future endeavors.

Good luck, Unending!

---

And now it's that time of the week!

Indeed. It is time to choose our next guest on...

**~ASK A WRITER!~**

The administrative team apologizes for last week's confusion. The poster of next message after this one requesting to be the next guest will be chosen as next week's guest.

Maybe they should pay the staff better--

Kosuzu-chan! Not now!

So, if you'd like to be the next guest on our show, let us know! Remember, first come first served!

And after we've selected our next guest, we will adjourn to give our writing team some time to prepare.

So step right up! And be our next guest on...

**~ASK A WRITER!~**

*Applause*

---

Joveus' note: Thanks for being with us, UnendingEmpire!

In case the instructions were not clear:

If you'd like to be the next person interviewed, please make a post saying so. The first person to do so after this message will be the next person to be interviewed.

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2014, 05:19:14 AM »
paging esi

paging

paging esi

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2014, 06:44:12 AM »
While I would be interested in a turn, I was under the impression that this week's turn was already promised out.  If it has been, I do not wish to step in front of that arrangement.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:50:45 AM by Achariyth »

Joveus Molai

« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2014, 07:18:21 AM »
While I would be interested in a turn, I was under the impression that this week's turn was already promised out.  If it has been, I do not wish to step in front of that arrangement.

I'm under the impression that Esi declined the offer:

I can wait another week, no problem. Or two, if someone slips in and beats me to the punch! :O

If, however, this is a misinterpretation on my part, then Esi will be chosen next.

If not, then it looks like it'll be you, Achariyth!

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2014, 12:49:04 PM »
Actually - I'm about to start my new massage job - I'm putting myself together now to go in for orientation! I'm going to have to decline. Maybe when things are a little less hectic and I'm not thinking so much about range of motion and origin/insertion points and muscle tonality and actually thinking about literature I'll be better suited for this. Go ahead, Achariyth!

Joveus Molai

« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2014, 12:53:52 PM »
Alright then, it looks like our next guest is Achariyth!

Achariyth, please expect a PM within the next couple of days containing a list of interview questions.  :D

Joveus Molai

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2014, 03:27:09 AM »
Hello hello, and welcome to Week 5 of...

**~ASK A WRITER!~**

*Applause*

For this week, our guest is a veteran Touhou writer, having written for such websites as the Space Battles forum. He is the author of works such as Mise en Place, Songs of the Illusory Veil, and most recently, All's Fair in Love and Thievery.

Let's have a round of applause for this week's guest: Achariyth.

*Thunderous applause, whistles, cheers*

Q: What got you into writing fiction?

Quote from: Achariyth
I?ve always wanted to.  In high school, I was planning a number of science fiction stories to the point that every single one got bogged down in development hell.  But it wasn?t until college, when I started getting into anime, when I decided to actually write stories as opposed to plan them.  It seemed that back in ?97, if you were an anime fan, you wrote fanfic.  Please do me a favor though, and politely pretend that I didn?t write anything prior to my Improfanfic days.

Q: What sources outside of Touhou do you draw inspiration from?

It?s hard for me to write fantasy without revealing my heavy admiration for Stephen Lawhead?s Pendragon cycle, to the point of actively rewriting ideas stolen from it out of stories.  But I read a lot and spend a lot of time flipping through Wikipedia, so I?m constantly coming up against fun facts and filing them away for later.  There?s a real ?look at this cool thing I found!? aspect to what I write.

As for setting, food and religion are constantly in the background.  My Gensokyo resembles Appalachia in some respects, mainly because the only herblore books I?ve found are from that area.

As far as writing process, Gene Wolfe, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Orson Scott Card, John C. Wright.  Reading Gene Wolfe is an education in vocabulary, John C. Wright, ideas, philosophy, and humanity.  Gaiman, King, and Card, more the nuts and bolts approach to storytelling.

Q: Which Touhou character is your favorite to write? The most difficult to write?

Mokou seems to weasel herself into a lot of works that she really shouldn?t be in, as does Alice.  But Alice doesn?t have the sheer flexibility Mokou has as a character.  Writing Kaguya in love was difficult, especially since I wanted a reason for Kaguya to be in love that wasn?t solely authorial fiat.

I have a tough time keeping characters in a specific role.  Once the spotlight shines on them, they seem to want to start chewing the scenery.

Q: Out of all the stories you've written (Touhou-related or not), which one is your favorite?

I?ve been partial to In the Light of the Eternal Moon, but that was a flop.  I?m sure Patrick Rothfuss would like his ideas back as well.  Mise en Place should have been titled Unlimited Food Porn, but that title was taken.  It tends to serve as my business card.  If I?m going to break into a new audience, I lead with Mise.  I liked the ideas in All?s Fair in Love and Thievery, but I?m more hesitant about the execution.  But it?s my second (short) novel, even if the characters and the story ran away from me.

Otherwise, it?s difficult rereading what I?ve done.  It?s like listening to a recording of me playing bass.  I hear the fret buzz and my mistakes instead of appreciating the performance.

Q: Outside of Touhou fiction, what other works have you written fiction for?

Ranma ?, Tenchi Muyo, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Negima, and, if you know where to look for it, El Hazard.  I?ve also written for Improfanfic, a now defunct collaborative fanfiction and anime-style fiction site.

Q: What do you find to be the most rewarding aspect of writing? The most challenging?

Quote from: achariyth
Getting started.  I am what?s known as a pantser, as opposed to the more common outliner.  I write by feel.  So I find myself rewriting my openings over and over until I get the one that opens up the floodgates for me.  And as I mature as a writer, I do a lot more rewriting to get to that point.

As for the rewarding part, I love the flow of writing.  Having characters surprise me with little grace notes that come out of nowhere is fun, even if they have a tendency to say, ?I wouldn?t do that, are you crazy?  I?d do this instead.?  Those character surprises are immensely satisfying.

Q: If there is one aspect of your writing you would want to improve, what is it?

I am conscious of a lack of variety in my sentence structure.  I also need to produce.  You can?t build a career on six months for a short novel of 40k words.

Q: When writing Touhou fiction, how do you usually approach official canon material? Do you build on top of it; do you go around it; or do you try and stay within it as much as possible? Something else?

Canon is a source of inspiration, but I subscribe to the unreliable narrator school of thought with anything written from Aya or Akyuu?s point of view.   Canon is a guideline, but I find myself pulling from other sources to fill out the areas it doesn?t address. 
Chances are, for any given chapter, I?ve likely spent a day or two researching some minute aspect of the background and setting, such as currency or local crops, instead of writing.

Q: What are some of your favorite things to read, including but not limited to books?

I?m the type of person who reads cereal boxes if it?s all that?s available.  That said, my Kindle will likely bankrupt me.

Q: What particular genres do you enjoy reading? What particular genres do you enjoy writing?

I?ve been reading science fiction, fantasy, historical fiction, histories, and even some westerns and men?s adventure stories.  Indie space opera as well, but that?s more of a mixed bag.  Some days, I?ll find something as mind-blowing as John C. Wright?s Awake in the Night Lands.  Most days, what I find is on the level of your better quality fanfiction.

I'm still feeling out the various genres in which I want to write.  I lean towards science fiction and fantasy in general.

Q: Do you have any big projects we can look forward to on the horizon?

I don?t have anything new planned as I?m concentrating on finishing stories starting with Secret History Files, Mise en Place, and Godshatter.  There's also a Danmakuverse story inspired by Fu Manchu that has to get finished as well.  I?ve started so many new things over the past few years that I need to wrap up stuff before I start anything new.  So Kasen's screaming at me to finish something so I can start on a three chapter story about her training little Reimu.  (Yeah, right.  Three chapters?  Anything I've start with three chapters in mind spirals on me.)

Q: What, precisely, is the Danmakuverse, how is it different from canon Touhou, and what is it like writing stories for it compared to writing stories for canon Touhou?

The Danmakuverse is a shared setting written with Captain Vulcan, Mephiles666, and Wolfsbane706.  We all write our different corners and try to tie the stories together.  It?s a different take on the round-robin many authors do, even though we do have a classic version in the setting.  As for differences in canon, well, it?s more of an alternate universe in a slightly more urbanized Gensokyo.  Writing for it is like writing canon fanfiction, there are rules and history I have to be aware of.  What did Meph write about tengu?  Is my take on Akyuu going to contradict Vulcan?s story that takes place later?  And so on.

A major phase of my writing was done in collaborative works, so I?m used to thinking in such ways.

Q: Mise en Place was your 'debut' work on PSL, so to speak, and was very well received. Do you have cooking experience yourself? If not, where did you do the research to get familiar with cooking terms and a chef's routine?

At the time, my kitchen experience was limited to watching Good Eats and working a microwave.  Anthony Bourdain?s Kitchen Confidential captivated my imagination, and I ended up leaning heavily on that book, David Chang?s Momofuku, and Colman Andrews? Ferran to try to make the kitchen feel real.  Now, well, I have been taking cooking lessons and I hope to actually make some of the dishes on Mystia?s menu soon.

Q: Given your fanfiction.net page, you seem to have written a number of stories for other franchises as well. In your experience, is writing for Touhou/Danmakuverse particularly different than writing for other franchises?

There?s a freedom to Touhou that?s not in other settings.  You write Love Hina, and it has to be about romance.  Naruto and Bleach, action.  Sailor Moon, well, you can side-step romance, but that leaves the monster of the week magical girl setting.  Gensokyo with its all female cast, peculiar setting, and a flexible approach to canon means that I can do much more, from religion and mythology tales, to history tales, to slice of life, action, and much more.  I don?t have to write romance, but matters of the heart do tend to creep in.

Q: What were the sources of inspiration for some of your stories, such as Mise en Place, All's Fair in Love and Thievery, and Songs of the Illusory Veil: Southern Cross?

For Mise, the inspirations were Kitchen Confidential and Ocean?s 11 filtered through the molecular gastronomy of Ferran Adria.  The chef as rock star and con artist.

Love and Thievery had been floating around my mind for a long time.  Lupin III was my introduction to anime, and I?ve always wanted to do a heist caper.  When the latest Lupin III series, The Woman Named Fujiko Mine, came out, I had a working title: The Woman Named Yakumo Ran.  Ran was always going after Kaguya?s treasures for Mokou; Kaguya?s the only Touhou girl that has treasure worthy of a heist movie.  But it wasn?t until I read a version of the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter where Kaguyahime was going to leave the character that became Mokou?s father at the altar that Kaguya?s plot came about.  The heist had to have meaning.  Kaguya leaving the poor sap at the altar would have made the heist pointless.

Southern Cross was written on location.  At the time, I was a soldier on temporary duty in a nice island chain in the middle of the Pacific.  The idea came to me as I rode back from a dive in a white boat like the one in the story.  So I stole a lot of details from the island where I was staying, muddied up my biography a bit, stole the boat bunny idea from John Ringo, and started writing, fearful that someone was going to cry, ?Mary Sue!?  No one has, so far.

As for others, I?m a very sticky fingered writer.  I tend to steal ideals from what I?m reading at the time.  Fortunately, I?m walking away from the outright theft seen in Eternal Moon.  Or maybe I?m just better at filing off the serial numbers?

Q: Is there a word of advice you'd like to give to aspiring fiction writers?

Start small.  Find out what you can do.  Some people can crank out the Wheel of Time, some people are better suited to short stories.  Don?t swing for the fences right away.

Find a beta/prereader/editor.  The feedback and the extra set of eyes will help you write better and will catch the annoying typos and mistakes that creep into any story. 

Follow Heinlein?s Rules.  Modified for fanfiction, they are:  You Must Write.  Finish What You Start.  Refrain from Rewriting, Except to Prereaders? Orders.  Post What You Write.  Start Working on Something Else. 

And that's it for our questions!

Now we'd like to open it up to the audience. Please ask our guest anything related to writing you've always wanted to ask.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:30:10 AM by Joveus Molai »

Joveus Molai

Re: Ask a Writer! This Week - Achariyth!
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »
Ah, here's one I've always wanted to ask...

Q: How would you go about writing a good romance, especially if you don't have experience with the matter yourself?

« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2014, 01:54:35 AM »
Q: How would you go about writing a good romance, especially if you don't have experience with the matter yourself?

I'm still figuring that out, especially since I am not a romance writer normally.  Pat of the reason I love writing Touhou stories is that I can write stories about girls without have to deal with all the posturing and preening that both sexes do whenever you get them together.  And then I go write a story where romance is a central part.  Figures.  I'll leave it to the reader if Love and Thievery is good enough to lend any credibility to my words.  Unfortunately, try as I might, I couldn't come up with a form of general advice.  I can only say what I did for that story.  Please forgive the rambling.

Worldbuilding the relationship between Yori and Kaguya depended on credibility.  Fanfiction is full of canon characters falling in love with original characters Just Because.  I wanted to avoid that.  However, I had to deal with the fact that Kaguya had been courted by an emperor.  There's no way a village boy from Gensokyo could compete with that prestige.  However, all of her suitors in the fairy tale fawned over Kaguya, giving her nothing but flattery and everything she wanted.  So Yori had to be able to tell Kaguya no.  That novelty kept her interested beyond the original attraction.  And then I added competition from other girls to raise his status in her eyes.  In a sense, Kaguya's pride drove her interest.  From Yori's side, I had to keep him from worshiping Kaguya without making him Mr. Perfect Mary Sue.  So much of how he acts toward Kaguya is based on advice he's getting from his father.  But since he's really the MacGuffin of the story, I kept most of that interaction off-screen.  To work out the reasoning for why the relationship should work, I ended up reading up on evolutionary psychology.  I don't necessary recommend that; characters aren't blind robots following a program no more than any flesh and blood man or woman is.  But Kaguya needed firm reasons to stay in the relationship that, on the surface, she had every reason to leave.

Now, if there's a sequel, and I have mulled over it, it would likely feature Mokou, and it could not play out in the same way.  Kaguya's pride and boredom with men were the main obstacles to her relationship.   Mokou's would deal with the immortal girl's fear of loss.  Given her rougher nature, Mokou would be perfect for a comedy of manners.  So instead of evolutionary psych, I'd be reading Georgette Heyer's romances. The different characters' personalities demand the different approaches.

Distilling everything down to my assumptions, the romance has to make sense in how men and women act towards each other, it has to make sense for the characters involved, it has to make sense for the story, it has to develop past the infatuation stage, it has to deal with setbacks, and it must end in marriage or have the ability to.  These characteristics are what I need to enjoy a good romance, but that's just my opinion.  I could be sleeping on the couch tonight.

(Seriously, I spent a few hours thinking this one through and came up with more exceptions to any advice I came up with than advice.  Good question, tough question, and it's one I wouldn't mind if it were opened up to general comment.)

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2014, 02:36:15 AM »
Do you find you have an easier time writing when you just sit back and let it come to you, or do you meticulously plan everything out in advance before you finish the first draft?

« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2014, 03:30:25 AM »
Do you find you have an easier time writing when you just sit back and let it come to you, or do you meticulously plan everything out in advance before you finish the first draft?

I often have a sense of where I need to go in a scene or what highlights I need in a story, but when it comes to connecting those dots, I let it come to me.  Part of the delight of writing comes from the surprises that come up when putting pen to paper.  (It's also why I have been known to complain about characters taking over scenes.)  But i need a rough map, even if it's just in my head, as I go.  However, if I develop that plan too far, I lose interest in the scene.  It's a balancing act that dooms me to a lot of rewriting.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2014, 01:46:28 AM »
So what are the bits you struggle with the most, and how do you deal with it?

« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2014, 02:51:25 AM »
So what are the bits you struggle with the most, and how do you deal with it?

For starters, I absolutely must use pen and paper.  I'm a poor typist and easily distracted, so working on a keyboard slows me down to a glacier's crawl.  Additionally, transferring a draft from pen and ink to a word processor gives me a chance to rewrite and refine.

Deadlines are a must.  I might (read: do) blow them (a lot), but I need that pressure to produce, otherwise I don't finish anything.

I find that I can get caught up in picking just the right word for a sentence or the right description to the point where it knocks me out of my writing flow.  When that happens, I'll write a short note on what I want to convey and come back to it later.  If, for some reason, that block is a showstopper, I'll back up a few paragraphs in the scene and try again.  Sometimes, writer's block isn't caused by your mind running out of ideas; it's your mind telling you that what you've written isn't working. 

Some things I struggle with, such as humor, I avoid.  Others, like group conversations, get rewritten or restructured to minimize that part of a scene, such as by giving part of the group something to do in the background so I can streamline the conversation to fewer voices.  For those times when I get in over my head, such as plotting a heist or a romance, I'll browse through the Writing Excuses podcast and listen to a podcast on the topic.  Listening to other writers discuss how they deal with similar situations helps.  And even if I don't get an Eureka moment, I now know other ways not to approach the scene.

Currently,  I'm struggling with trying to write tight scene endings and varying my sentences beyond the three or four forms I normally use.  If anyone has suggestions, please feel free to share.

Joveus Molai

« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2014, 07:54:01 AM »
Q: Do you have any plans on becoming a novelist, or at least publishing a novel/similarly lengthy work?

« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »
Q: Do you have any plans on becoming a novelist, or at least publishing a novel/similarly lengthy work?

Yes.  Not immediately, though.  I'm still working on my skills.  There's an idea in writing that it takes about a million words for a writer to mature in their craft enough to be publishable.  I'm about a third of the way  through that and still learning from my mistakes.  I'm mulling over an urban fantasy dealing with nephalim and angels, a Knights Hospitalier in space idea, and an old fashioned Golden Age mega fleets of spaceships shooting at each other while planets blow up type of space opera.  But the muse is fickle, so my first original novel might be something entirely different.

At the same time, I'm waiting for the massive shock that the publishing industry has received to settle out.  Indie publishing, through Amazon, Smashwords, and other sites, and electronic distribution are upending the traditional publishing model.  So until the shocks settle and we find out whether or not traditional publishing is still around in its current form in the next few years or if Random Penguin, MacMillian, and the other Big 5 publishers succeed in either legislating indie publishing away or shifting the idea of ebooks from a good the consumer owns to something more like a software license, most writers are cautioning newbies like be to wait a couple of years. 

Meanwhile, there's some interesting experiments happening.  One such is Kindle Worlds, or yet another attempt to monetize fanfiction.  Or for the less cynical, crowd-sourcing media tie-in franchises.  I do wonder what would happen if ZUN opened up Touhou for licensed non-canon works.  How many of us would try to get our stories legitimately published, with professional editing and covers provided by a publisher?  How many of us would succeed in a situation where fanfiction now had a gatekeeper?    Interesting times...

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2014, 01:35:55 AM »
As my time in the spotlight starts to come to a close, I'd like to turn the tables a bit.  Due to the cares of life, I haven't been able to keep up with the Touhou fanfic community like I'd want, and the recommendation lists don't seem to be keeping up with the new names I've seen.  So, what should I be reading?  Who's doing cool stuff?  Who's telling a good story?  What's fun to read?

(Please have the good grace not to self-recommend.  I'll still answer any writing questions as well.)

Joveus Molai

« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2014, 08:00:28 AM »
As my time in the spotlight starts to come to a close, I'd like to turn the tables a bit.  Due to the cares of life, I haven't been able to keep up with the Touhou fanfic community like I'd want, and the recommendation lists don't seem to be keeping up with the new names I've seen.  So, what should I be reading?  Who's doing cool stuff?  Who's telling a good story?  What's fun to read?

While there are many skilled authors and wonderful stories in Patchouli's Scarlet Library, the writing team personally would like to recommend some of hungrybookworm's material:

Gratitude
Lunar Orbit
Drizzle

Kosuzu, in particular, found hungrybookworm's work to be easy to read and quite entertaining.

Alas, I do believe it's been one week...

So that's it for this week's episode of...

**~ASK A WRITER!~**

A big round of applause, please, for Achariyth!

*Thunderous applause, cheers*

Good luck with everything, Achariyth!

---

And now it is time to choose our next guest for...

**~ASK A WRITER!~**

If you'd like to be the next guest on our show, let us know! Remember, first come first served!

And after we've selected our next guest, we will adjourn to give our writing team some time to prepare.

So who will be our next lucky guest on...

**~ASK A WRITER!~**

*Applause*

---

Joveus' note: Thanks very much, Achariyth!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2014, 11:01:11 AM »
I'd like to nominate the second most important writeperson after myself on this forum: Ruro.

Joveus Molai

« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2014, 02:28:53 AM »
Well, I hadn't originally planned on accepting nominations...if everyone thinks nominations are fair, and--more importantly--if Ruro agrees to be nominated, then I suppose Ruro will be the next guest.

Joveus Molai

« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2014, 03:58:56 AM »
If there are no objections to the nomination system, I will be PMing Ruro shortly.