Author Topic: Ideas and Story Snippets - "I had this idea for a Touhou fanfic..."  (Read 48063 times)

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
Re: Ideas and Story Snippets - "I had this idea for a Touhou fanfic..."
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2013, 10:37:31 PM »
I woke up with this idea that won't go away. Kokoro picks up your choice of:

1. The Mask
2. Kamen Rider Mask
3. Power Ranger Mask
4. Joker Mask
5. Ironman mask
6. Visored/Hollow Mask (Bleach)

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2013, 10:48:30 PM »
You're not the first/the only one who got the idea of her wearing "The Mask" XD But I've yet to see any fanart of it.

Joveus Molai

• Bear the Word, and the Word will bear you.
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2013, 11:17:53 PM »
Something I've been thinking of doing, because I've seen none of it elsewhere, is writing about Byakuren doing wizard things.  Things like teaching magic or arcane research or simply transmuting a new structure using only dirt or grass a building materials.  Anything where she's actually using magic and not just being The Heart.  Any guidance on how to make a story along these lines?

Well, perhaps you could start by trying to answer the question: why is Byakuren trying to use magic?

Remember that Byakuren originally researched body-enhancement magic in order to prolong her life. She doesn't do that as much nowadays (IIRC), since she's more focused on her temple and her clerical duties. So why's she going back to magic? What's the trigger? Perhaps the answer to that question could get you started.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2013, 11:22:45 PM »
Something I've been thinking of doing, because I've seen none of it elsewhere, is writing about Byakuren doing wizard things.  Things like teaching magic or arcane research or simply transmuting a new structure using only dirt or grass a building materials.  Anything where she's actually using magic and not just being The Heart.  Any guidance on how to make a story along these lines?

While I wouldn't be as cut and dry as Fonzi is, you probably do want to put some thought into Byakuren's style of magic.  Remember she's an eastern witch, not a western one, and she's over a thousand years old.  Her powers will be more shamanistic with ritual elements then the nice clean alchemy and spells of modern magical thought.  Though writing of course has always been considered to have massive power.  Finally she probably used vulgar magic more in her past.  Now she seems to be using Buddhist spells and her innate enhancements more.

The main issue in the writing will of course be "what is Byakuren doing with her power?"

« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2013, 03:32:36 PM »
(Sorry for the delay in replying; besides the site maintenance, I needed to give the second half of my reply some thought.

Well, perhaps you could start by trying to answer the question: why is Byakuren trying to use magic?

I've thought of that in terms of what motivates her: 1) Peace between humans and youkai, 2) Mahayana Buddhism, and 3) the latest incident.

Combining 1 and 2 (peace and Mahayana) she could teach humans how to be magicians (there has to be some who aren't as intolerant as Akyuu) so that not only would they be less fearful of, and therefore less hostile towards, youkai (the magicians in the Forest of Magic seem to be doing just fine, so the thinking goes) but they'd also be liberated from many physical concerns.  If she decides to share immortality she'd likely get in enough trouble to base a story off of?

Going with 3, reacting, would be done manly to show off what she can do with her magic rather than how society reacts to it.  This kind of story requires me thinking up a situation (anything from "hair cur by prankster" to "Yuuka AND Ex-Rumia AND a shoggoth are running amok, again") and figuring out how she'd use magic to solve it.

You probably do want to put some thought into Byakuren's style of magic.

I've been giving this thought for weeks, to the point of actually researching Buddhism (not just on the web but through The Teaching Company courses).  What caught my mind the most is how the metaphysics emphasize interconnected causations.  The analogy I use is cell biology; each cell both is and isn't individual, and all are interconnected as part of a greater whole.

Which leads me to wondering how her "evil" magic is different from her Mikkyo.  All I know is that she learned the how-to of immortality from studying youkai.

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2013, 05:49:20 PM »
Maybe something simple like Marisa becoming her apprentice in magic awakens some nostalgia.

Or all the other magicians disappear mysteriously and only a magician can solve an oncoming incident, forcing her out of retirement.

Or Yumemi comes to research her brand of magic.

Or Rikako manages to drain all ambient magic, rendering external use of magic useless, leaving it up to Byakuren whose brand of magic is self-enhancement magic to help everyone. Queue epic fist fights.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:01:23 PM by Gappy »

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2013, 04:52:06 AM »
Sorry for the necropost, but I dreamt two nights ago and thought of a Touhou x Rune Factory (specifically, Tides of Destiny) crossover fic. The basic plot goes like this:
Sanae Kochiya was minding her own business when a mysterious light enveloped her and knocked her unconscious. When she wakes up, she finds herself in another, unfamiliar world-- and without a body! Fortunately, the world's residents are hospitable and try to help her with her plights. One day, a masked stranger confronts her and says there's been a mishap. Who is he? Why did Sanae end up in this strange new land, especially without a body? And how will the residents of Gensokyo react to her mysterious disappearance?

So, any opinions?
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2013, 11:46:04 AM »
Idea: A story where the central schtick involves a prominent (and otherwise immortal) member of the Touhou cast coming down with a terrible disease.

Problem: I can't think of a way to implement it where the drama can't be summarily cut off at the pass by timely strategic deployment of an Eirin.

HELP ME EIRIN USERS.

Joveus Molai

« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2013, 02:17:40 PM »
Idea: A story where the central schtick involves a prominent (and otherwise immortal) member of the Touhou cast coming down with a terrible disease.

Problem: I can't think of a way to implement it where the drama can't be summarily cut off at the pass by timely strategic deployment of an Eirin.

HELP ME EIRIN USERS.

IN spoiler:
Spoiler:
What if the sick person is Eirin herself? She's a Hourai immortal after all.

PHYSICIAN, HEAL THYSELF

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2013, 06:25:40 AM »
IN spoiler:
Spoiler:
What if the sick person is Eirin herself? She's a Hourai immortal after all.

PHYSICIAN, HEAL THYSELF

While that is actually a really good idea, no, the sick person in this case would not be Eirin. Which makes things complicated.

Joveus Molai

« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2013, 11:29:41 PM »
While that is actually a really good idea, no, the sick person in this case would not be Eirin. Which makes things complicated.

Hmm, let's see...

Mokou: Kaguya withholds Eirin's aid to troll Mokou (it's not like Mokou will come to permanent harm anyway)

Yukari: Her dislike of Lunarians causes her to refuse Eirin out of stubborn pride.

Tenshi: No one likes her enough to help her out.

Yuyuko: Since Yuyuko's a ghost, her "illness" is something beyond even the Genius of the Moon.

Kaguya: Orders Eirin to stand down because she finds the experience of getting sick to be novel.

Remilia: Stubborn pride again.

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
  • Cultured Tastes Since 1994
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2013, 06:49:11 PM »
Or you could just go pre-IN so Eirin is still on the moon.
Hell, you could reach all the way back to the PC-98 era, or even earlier, though that sort of narrows your choices down to Mokou, Mokou, or...Mokou.
Since we're not sure how long she's been in Gensokyo as opposed to Kaguya and co. it's safe to the pyro got there first.  You can't befriend a loner overnight, after all, so Keine must have known her for quite some time.

But that's just me ^_^;

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2013, 08:29:21 PM »
Okay, since people are misunderstanding what I meant by 'a character', lemme just state in this case it's
Spoiler:
Alice

« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2013, 08:36:47 PM »
Eirin doesn't make house calls, and it would be risky to leave said sick person alone in order to visit Eientei for medicine.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2013, 08:41:46 PM »
Eirin doesn't make house calls, and it would be risky to leave said sick person alone in order to visit Eientei for medicine.

Doesn't Udongein do all the delivery work for her anyway, though?

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
  • Cultured Tastes Since 1994
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2013, 09:05:09 PM »
Why not just set it between PCB and IN?  That way, you have your character, and Eirin isn't even in Gensokyo yet so she obviously can't do anything.
Or you could
Spoiler:
just set it in PC-98 time, and have her in Makai instead.

« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2013, 09:15:32 PM »
Doesn't Udongein do all the delivery work for her anyway, though?

If nobody's able to contact Eientei, then no one will be able to make deliveries anyway.

Besides, if you can't think of a way to explain why they aren't going to Eirin, then don't even bother explaining it. I'm okay with suspending my disbelief if it makes for a good story.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2013, 09:31:58 PM »
Or you could
Spoiler:
just set it in PC-98 time, and have her in Makai instead.

Makai/the PC-98 era factors into this, but the current time frame puts it in present Gensokyo because reasons.

Fuck it, I should just write this.

Joveus Molai

« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2013, 12:24:16 AM »
...yeah I completely misunderstood what you were asking for, Alliterator.

Sorry. :negative:

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2013, 12:27:31 AM »
...yeah I completely misunderstood what you were asking for, Alliterator.

Sorry. :negative:

It's quite alright, I never thought people would interpret the question the way they did. :P

« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2013, 05:42:55 AM »
Marisa, while stealing something or another from Patchy, gets arrested by Kotohime.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2013, 03:35:58 PM »
Eh, a Touhou-Hetalia crossover.

Hetalia info here.

My idea:

Gensyoko is in Japan, right?
So, Gensyoko is Japan's little sister.
After Gensyoko was sealed away by the youkai living on her lands in 1885, she has been living in Gensyoko since.
It's essentially a "Slice of Life" kind of idea, with Gensyoko interacting with the Touhou characters.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2013, 07:29:46 PM »

"I once sank an entire ship in my sleep. I think it was called the Titanic."

"MURASAAAAA!"

"Sure, I'll pick up some milk from Kourin's. One second while I get ready for take-off."

"MURASAAAAAA!"

"I kinda got tired of things one day and decided to try crossing the Sanzu River. We never made it to the other side. I may or may not have sank the boat."

"MURASAAAAAA!"

"So yeah, I sank the sanzu ferrywoman's boat....can we possibly use the temple as a substitute boat in the mean time?"

"MURASAAAAAAAAAA!"

Nicktendonick

• guess the IRC ban wasn't a big enough hint
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2013, 05:17:32 PM »
<_<

>_>

Alright, time to throw my cards on the table and bring one up that I have in the works but haven't posted anywhere. I actually wrote up a description of it earlier for myself, and here is "The reaper of Gensokyo"

The Reaper of Gensokyo- 
"After a Celestial vaporizes the current reaper shingami of Gensokyo and makes the shingami no longer able to do its duties, The Afterlife decides a replacement must be called in to reap the lost souls of Gensokyo. And thus, the boy Liam Alibus is tasked as that replacement. A young trainee Shingami with only 14 years as a mortal and rest in shingami training is thrusted into Komachi and Shikieiki?s care and sent to reap Gensokyo?s lost and unwilling souls.
A cute young boy in Gensokyo. This can?t end well."

To quote, "A male Touhou OC, heaven help me". The story originally came to mind when I thought about how there's reaper shingami and ferrymen shingami, it seems Komachi is Genskoyo's ferryman, and Eiki's Gensokyo's judge, so I thought to myself "Shouldn't there be a reaper of gensokyo" and the story started to come up in my head.
Liam isn't all too powerful, and well, reminds me of Kourin's role in Touhou. Somewhat important, but not enough to appear in the games.  He'll start at the bottom, and eventually (past this story) reach stage 4 tier.

Liam's role is to be a audience surrogate, to ease and introduce people to the crazy world of Gensokyo and it's residents, and introduce people to my version of gensokyo.

The viewpoint of the story does jump around from character to character (for example, chapter 1's viewpoint is Eiki, 2's is Liam, 3's is Komachi, 4's is Wiggle) in a bit of a round robin, but the focus will usually be on Liam's story of him adjusting and getting use to Gensokyo and being a shingami (as well as wondering if he's cut out for the shingami cloth)

Storywise, this would take place a few years before the first game even begins, and while the story is Liam's coming of age story, it's also a epilouge to what happened to the previous generation of incident solvers (or mostly, why they aren't active anymore), as well as foreshadow things for all the later stories I want to tell in this fan-verse.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 05:21:28 PM by Nicktendonick »

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2013, 05:32:55 PM »
Kaguya decides to add yet another rare artifact to her collection, The Holy Grail.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to currently exist.  Eirin has a discovered a way to remake it though.  All they need to do is a little ritual involving 6 other magicians and 7 summons....