Author Topic: Our Newbie Moments  (Read 6703 times)

Tigers, FTW!

• Raawr~
  • My tiger! My tiger!
Re: Our Newbie Moments
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 08:58:01 AM »
Front Mission 3:
Knew nothing about weapon's range and I got some Japanese version for my old PSX, so I shot a wanzer from 4 blocks away with a shotgun, -12 on the torso part, countered with a Machine gun barrage and- *Boom* Since I lost a lot of torso HP to some ballistics wanzer before.

Counter-strike (Console, forgot what it was lol):
Don't know how to buy, died to some easy AI bot with a headshot from a Glock

Even in COD4:
I stand in front of a claymore without even knowing what it is for (Not a military maniac back then) and- *Boom* "Oooh! It was a mine!"

As written in AT4 Operator manual:
"Aim towards the enemy, and shoot"

But in Touhou:
"Shoot towards the enemy, don't aim"

Luneth

• Down down, a clip round you, fall in drops, set a trap
  • Down down, a clip round you, get the trick of it.
    • I live here.
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2010, 12:13:14 AM »
Also, way back when Red/Blue first came out, I couldn't figure out how to leave my house. I think I had to go back in the store (fortunately, we hadn't left the parking lot yet) and an employee showed me that the mat at the bottom of the screen was the front door :derp:

Loll, I can so imagine that happening. Sadly, I can also imagine the kind of impression that leaves on an experienced gamer.
Y'know, I think I've always been pretty epic at games. I catch on fast. I beat Wario Land 3 before I could read. (I was abouut four.)
Seriously though, after I beat the game and the levels had numbers above them (wut teh heck is 2:23:10??) it took me another three years (Oh, I think I'll go play some old games I already owned.) to figure out they were time trials.
I played Pokemon Gold/Silver waay before I could read. And, I somefreakinghow got the idea that, to heal your pokemon, you have to:
1: Talk to nurse joy and tap A until she stops talking.
2: Walk over to your PC, and turn it on.
3: Don't even do anything, just spam B until it turns off.
If you didn't do this, your pokemon would not heal. Pfft, what? XD (And of course, when I finally got bored of the game 6 months later I had a level 100 Feraligator, and some other level 80s. None of which, unless the show said their names, I could read.) I know, I'm pro right?

Let's see... Other times... (Because obviously I've been quite the Newbie.)
Well a lot of it was somehow beating games without knowing how to read. I mean, Pokemon, Wario Land 3, some Hamtaro game based on words=actions, everything. o_O
Oh. I learned how to beat level 9 CPUs in both Melee and Brawl before realizing that shielding was in fact, not useless.
In Super Mario 64, thanks to my always-telling-me-lies cousin Drew, I thought there was an extra Bowser boss, where to get to him you had to jump over the wall in the back courtyard. Needless to say I'd spent a good 30 minutes total climbing up trees and triple-jumping. (A few years later I mentioned this to someone, which then lead to my "Newbie Moment".)
I know, long posts are so fun, but since I've been a gamer since I was 4, I do have a lot of newbie moments.
Oh. And last but not least, it took me 10 years to figure out how to play Minesweeper. (I am indeed 14.((Until January 2nd!@%)))

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2010, 12:39:19 AM »
In Super Mario 64, thanks to my always-telling-me-lies cousin Drew, I thought there was an extra Bowser boss, where to get to him you had to jump over the wall in the back courtyard. Needless to say I'd spent a good 30 minutes total climbing up trees and triple-jumping. (A few years later I mentioned this to someone, which then lead to my "Newbie Moment".)

Those kinds of things are always fun, whether you're on the giving or receiving end (moreso in hindsight for the latter).  I was told to access a secret level in SM64 by jumping into the lavafall in the volcano at juuuuuuuuust the right angle.  I don't think I've ever heard Mario scream so much in my life.

On the giving end of newbie hoaxes, I once gave a friend the Gambol code for IIDX Empress that makes notes damn near impossible to hit (I didn't tell him it does this) and told him to beat a song with it and that that was the unlock all code.  Though I was nice and gave him the real code 5 minutes later.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2010, 02:48:15 PM »
even though i have been playing them for over 3 years, i'm still a newbie with RTS games. one time i got defeated when the opponent sent 3 soldiers into my base. :derp:

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2010, 07:06:53 PM »
Oh, and I had this bright moment: playing through a shoot'em up when I wasl ike six year old, I didn't know how to shoot and thought bombs were shooting, so after they run out I had no idea what to do next except dodge everything. Pacifist'd all the way to stage 1 boss and got stuck there because that shoot 'em up doesn't feature pacifistable bosses

Hsien Rae

• I'll Take One Step Forward and Moonwalk Back.
  • Henshin A Go-Go, Baby!
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2010, 01:27:42 PM »
Playing through the whole of Mega Man, Without knowing there was such a thing as weapon Change.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »
I have so many to share because I became a gamer at the age of 3~
Please wait warmly while the girls are I am preparing tea.