Author Topic: An amazing incident is resolved, Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013 a success!  (Read 27774 times)

Keine Kamishirasawa

• The Great Sealed Historian
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!

everfeather

• Patron saint of ferrets
Re: An amazing incident is resolved, Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013 a success!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 05:00:07 PM »
In addition to a general thanks to everyone who showed up to the convention, and made it successful, I would like to specifically take a moment to thank Kilga and the others who made the touhou festival successful. It would have otherwise been quite a disaster.

That being said, what happened on my end was I was told the earliest I could come pick up my arcade machine to bring it to the panel was at 9:30, which I thought would give me plenty of time. Turns out it took over an hour to just bring it to the panel, which put me as absent for over thirty minutes of the beginning of the panel, so I can't thank you guys enough.

That being said, I want to thank everyone who showed up to the doujin swap portion of it. And I would like to apologize to anyone whom I may have traded a music CD with no cd inside. Currently I believe I have found everyone except for a girl reisen cosplayer whom I traded fanatic hardcore Red Label too. If you could please point her to my direction, or if there was someone else I had missed, please email me at everfeather@gmail.com

Thank you again everyone who showed up

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 05:24:05 PM »
All in all I had a great time at the convention thanks to everyone who showed up! :D It was really good meeting all of you - both old friends and new faces.

I was a bit confused with the information about the QnA session. Based on initial descriptions I also thought it would be press-only QnA but it turned out to be free QnA. Other than that I didn't really have anything against the programming so far - mostly because just as everfeather said above, Kilga SilentSword and co. made this into an organized effort and things all worked out :)

As much as this con was "all about us" - the fandom, I hope we all remain united under the flag of ZUN, now proudly hanging over us all, and I look forward to seeing you all again at the next con! :3

EDIT: I was the Lily for Sunday, Tenshi for Saturday, and Marisa for Friday (And for those of you who I met at Drunk_Aya's suite, I was Lily for the Friday night gathering and Sanae for Saturday night gathering). Enjoy con pics here. I also have a facebook version for those who need it (BUT WHO NEEDS FACEBOOK HURRDURRDURR)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:36:08 PM by DeltaSierra4 »
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »
There was touhou at AWA?

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »
There was Vic Viper at AWA?

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 05:48:17 PM »
There was touhou at AWA?
inorite

the drunken conga line to waffle house saturday was epic

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 05:55:37 PM »
Yeah, I missed all of you basically. I was either drinking, eating, playing Project Diva or stalking Yuu Asakawa the whole time.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 05:57:05 PM »
Yeah, I missed all of you basically. I was either drinking, eating, playing Project Diva or stalking Yuu Asakawa the whole time.
Vocaloid too stronk

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 05:58:39 PM »
playing cards against humanity and quao was the best thing ever

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 06:31:17 PM »
Don't forget ice cube bombs :P (hint: It wasn't me!)
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 06:35:23 PM »
We gotta do it again at whatever con we decided was next. (I ran into TSO earlier in the day and let her borrow my sukusuku hakutaku. Then some chump had a bigger one. Sigh. )

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 07:09:58 PM »
Initial big thanks to Mint and Everfeather for the time and effort they put into organizing and running the Touhou content this past weekend. I'll be writing up a piece about my experiences soon - I'd like to have it all done tonight, but it might not come until tomorrow night - and I'm going to spend more than a few words on these two guys. Based on what I've seen of people's reactions so far, they haven't received a tenth of the credit and appreciation that they deserve. It's easy for people to point at me because of how visible I ended up being, but there was far more to making this weekend such a smashing success than me spending Saturday and Sunday shouting a whole bunch.

If anyone's gonna thank anyone for the Touhou programming, start with those two. (And then move on to AWA staff. But that's another bullet point for that write-up.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:12:06 PM by Kilgamayan »
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Ruka

• Lab Syndrome
  • "Even a failure produces valid results."
    • Ruka Sari Sari
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 08:17:11 PM »
I kinda stayed hidden in the open for the most part, but thanks to everyone that was there also.

Two things on my mind now:

1. Someone clear up what's going to happen in AB.

2. So why did ZUN go to AWA and not another con again? The rumor I heard was that he signed up as an attendee first before being a guest.

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 08:33:18 PM »
You should probably look here.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 08:38:38 PM »
1. Nothing out of the ordinary yet.

2. From what I understand, put simply, AWA approached him in a way he appreciated. ZUN's not big on celebrity status, he wants to be just some dude and have fun with other dudes and dudettes. Several cons have tried to get him before, but AWA respected this about him more than the rest.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Ruka

• Lab Syndrome
  • "Even a failure produces valid results."
    • Ruka Sari Sari
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 09:28:08 PM »
1. Nothing out of the ordinary yet.

2. From what I understand, put simply, AWA approached him in a way he appreciated. ZUN's not big on celebrity status, he wants to be just some dude and have fun with other dudes and dudettes. Several cons have tried to get him before, but AWA respected this about him more than the rest.
Yeah, I did wonder at points if we somehow overwhelmed him a bit. I'm just glad that the overall impression was fairly good.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 11:13:14 PM »
I kinda stayed hidden in the open for the most part, but thanks to everyone that was there also.

Two things on my mind now:

2. So why did ZUN go to AWA and not another con again? The rumor I heard was that he signed up as an attendee first before being a guest.
For point 2, the CEO of AWA knew ZUN and personally asked him if he wanted to come and he came on his own dime. I have requested an interview with him to get the whole story :3

Phoenix_lostarr

• mrgrgr
  • Rising from the ashes of an old dream~
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 12:29:33 AM »
Does ZUN actually know English? Or will you, or the interviewer, use Japanese?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 01:25:53 AM »
Sola was my interpreter as ZUN doesn't really know a lick of English nor I Japanese. Ko, his handler, was also on hand to help him with translation work and explaining stuff to ZUN and was present at all the panels. Due to the brief timeslice we were given for the interview and not wishing to hold him up we wrote the questions out beforehand. Sola and ZUN basically just conversed the whole time and then I thanked him on behalf of us for showing up and putting up with our crazy nerdiness and to enjoy his flight back! So right now we're just recovering and I'm awaiting the translations before I write anything up.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 02:28:33 AM »
Really kicking myself for not being able to attend since it sounds like a truly incredible occasion, but that's life I guess.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 05:45:42 AM »
Yeah, I missed all of you basically.

what

Captain Onimaru

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 07:40:58 AM »
My friends and I all had a blast this year. We've been doing this for a few years and never did we think it would become so busy this soon. It seems like just yesterday that there were no more than 50 or so Touhou cosplayers attending the con. Many of us have described it as a surreal experience.

I personally got to do everything I wanted to do this year and then some. I got my personal copy of Imperishable Night signed after all these years. I got to meet ZUN and have a picture taken. The scroll project the others and I worked so hard on was a huge success, all of our panels went off without a hitch and I even managed to grab one of those wonderful shirts. Not only that, but ZUN himself was having a blast. I don't think it could have been any better.

...but it actually did get better. You see, ZUN is known to be quite the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure fan. Near the end of the con, 3 of my friends and I brought a hand made replica of the Stone Mask from part 1/2 in hopes that we could get him to wear it for a photo while we struck some iconic poses from the series. We had been planning this since the moment we knew he was coming. To our joy, he invited us in with open excitement upon seeing it. He later posted the image on his Twitter.

We have successfully turned ZUN into a creature of the night.
Cheers to my wonderful friends who made the impossible possible!

http://twitpic.com/dfgkaj

This was by far the best con experience I will likely ever have.

Also, big thanks to Mint, Everfeather, Kristina, DJ Quietly, our friend Julian, AWA staff, the MotK crew and panelists as well as all of our guests and attendees for making all of the Touhou events happen flawlessly! You guys are awesome!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:36:05 PM by Onimaru »

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
  • I take many forms, and this won't be my last.
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »
"Touhou @ Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013: A Tribute to ZUN"

An CMV-style abridging of major events that transpired over the course of the weekend related to Touhou that I put together. I hope you guys enjoy it~! :blush:

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 07:59:26 PM »
This gonna take me awhile. Hmmm.

Okay, so, as many of yall have been told, this was my first time flying. I didn't take well to it. It's kinda terrifying. When I got to the airport, I managed to find where I was supposed to be, then after much searching realized plans had fallen through. So I got to a payphone and called UK's cell, which was my emergency number. I was directed to the lotto booth by gate N3, where I would have to trust to luck to hook up with Kilga.

This actually worked out rather well, because Kilga was wearing his kitty hood I had seen in a picture previously. So it was easy enough to approach him, yell "KILGA YOU SON OF A BITCH!" and then stab him with a paper shiv I was carrying. Now some may wonder why I was carrying a paper shiv and I'll tell you why: I was intending to shank my original contact, which was UK. It was labeled OTP along the blade. I think I improvised well enough. After that, I shouted at other people in the group, trying to figure out who was who and break some tension; namely my own. Some chit-chats happened, then Xavier came to collect us and herd us onto a shuttle. He was quite the dashing sort!

Eventually we were herded onto the shuttles, and I wondered aloud if we were being kidnapped. But no, they were just taking us to the hotel. It was a nice, relaxing ride. Silent for a little bit, until I cracked some jokes with Totaku and got the ball rolling a li'l bit. Afterward we got charged 25 dollars a head, which I didn't expect and I am still miffed about (that is way fucking pricey). However, though sheer force of will, I pulled a two tens for a five scam on the driver and got some of my money back. Or rather, I asked him to make change for a ten (I didn't have fives to spare), and he gave me two without taking my ten. Now, I'm dyslexic, so I wasn't sure if my math was wrong or his, so I just left.

Then I was ushered to room 808; or as The Suite as it'd be known. There  got to take a break, chillax, and meet Overcoat. This meant I could finally give him the five bucks owed him! And then decked him in the kidney while he bearhugged me. I also met a lot of other people, but the names are faces are all a blur to me. I am sorry, guys, just so many faces. After awhile, I figured out where my room was; which involved more or less yelling at others until they told me, because I wasn't able to pick up the details until then. This would be a running theme for me, yelling at people. I also visited what I am going to term Jerry's Room; because Jerry was there.  Jerry was a treat this whole time. UK was also there, as well as IoSpace, who I didn't know and turned out to be a hidden treasure the whole time. There were other peoples too, but goddamn I cannot remember any of them. Sorry. Then I finally figured out where I was supposed to be and went there. There I met the others; some of them anyways, and ended up trying to get some sleep in a fold out bed with Larry. This was a valiant effort, but it didn't work out for me. I toss and turn too much due to arthritis. I got maybe 4 hours of sleep, tops? Also didn't get supper, but that was fine. Missed meals are a regular occurrence in the life of Purvis.

Morning came! I ended up slipping off to get a much needed shower to wake myself up, while Kilga slipped out to do god knows what (It turned out to be getting breakfast). I ended up pacing around outside a bit waiting for Kilga to get back so I could learn the day's plan. In doing this, I discovered that the hotel had a complementary all you can eat breakfast. This would become a bastion of sanity in my world for the next three days. That had biscuits and gravy, and scrambled eggs/omelettes made to order! And a fucking cranberry juice dispenser! I had never seen one of those in my life before. But I'll tell you what, I drank a goddamn gallon of the stuff while I was there. But before that, I was able to link up with Kilga, and got a rough idea of his plans. So I went along with them for awhile. These plans mostly were getting prereg badges ASAP, which I was down with, then getting in line to get into the dealer's room, so he could get his con shirt. I tried that for like ten minutes, then my arthritis, already agitated by trying to share a bed with Larry, decided it didn't like standing there for the two and a half hours it was gonna take. So instead I went and sat against a column, tried to plan out what panels I wanted to see, and let my muskals ease up. This would be a recurring theme. Then I took to wandering a bit, and passed Gandalph and Jon; or at least I think it's Jon =[. We parted ways, then met again like five minutes later, and I decided to follow them because I figured they would have a phone. This turned out to be a wonderful decision!

You see, these two are most righteous chaps, fun as hell to talk to and properly chill. Gandalph had his laptop, so we spent some time messing around in MoF and DCC (I did the worst!). Then we attended a panel about attending cons like a boss, which was pretty much a couple of dudes running a panel where they told old war stories in exchange for a free badge. And talked quite a lot about how to sneak liquor into cons. After that was raiding the Artist's Alley, which was largely Gandalph exchanging dollar coins for stuff and marveling at the food trucks inside; though John and I went halfsies on a two for one deal on prints so I could have a gift for Kilga; after he gifted me with a lovely Kisume figure. I tried to break off to see a panel about Ghosts in Japan, but that fell through because the room hit capacity. So instead I followed them to a panel about anime in the eighties, which was hella awesome.  We left in the middle of it, though, to get an early dinner at subway (My other food-based savior. Five dollar foot longs were nothing to sneeze at!), and then get in line for ZUN's Q&A two hours in advance. This put us about like 15th in line.

The line gathering was long and painful on my arthirtus, but there was cool conversings with Gandalph, then with IoSpace and...um, three other folks whose names I have absolutely forgotten. The Yoshika cosplayer, his friend with the colorful hair, and...I can't recall the third. Shit. Sorry. Anyways, eventually, after several line reorganizations, we got inside and I got to sit down. The panel itself was fun. Some good questions, some groanworthy ones that always get asked, and in general just outpouring support for the Big Man. Then after that was the infamous Touhou Death March. And this will be a treasured memory, because it's exactly what I wanted to do: gather up as many people and wreak havoc. The crowds split before our might, and none remained unconquered. When asked what were were doing, I gleefully called back that we were going to go pillaging. When we crossed the pedestrian walkways over the street, I shouted "We've taken the bridge!" It was a great time. Shame I wasn't actually hungry, so I just got a large Baha Blast from Taco Bell, and a refill before leaving. On the way out, we hassled a Dark Link cosplayer who rolled into the wrong neighborhood (as in, we joked with him while passing by).

After that, we seized for ourselves. I watched a little PoFV, and played some, before heading back to the hotel room. We had some visitors! I can't quite recall who they were or what was talked about, but I got to introduce some peoples to Pepper Steak. It was good times. Then I ended up collapsing onto Kilga's bed for an hour because I was beat and also sore. Once the guests were chased off, I had to evict poor Larry onto the floor, I was just too sore from all the walking.  For this I owe him much. We then talked about MMOs for a little bit, until sleep overtook us.

And I'll finish the rest of this later.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 08:54:20 PM »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 12:30:22 AM »
Oh shit, Purivs was there!? I want a do-over :<

This is what you get for being a hermit, Vicolai!

I was totes looking for you when I heard you were there (on Saturday afternoon). But no joy.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 12:50:48 AM »
This is what you get for being a hermit, Vicolai!

I was totes looking for you when I heard you were there (on Saturday afternoon). But no joy.
Let's see, I was at the concert then dinner, then watched the Georgia-LSU game, followed by copious drinking and hanging with TSO.

Next time I'll go to a convention not during football season lol.

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 01:50:22 AM »
This weekend was an extremely enjoyable and eye-opening experience in which I will not forget during this lifetime. It was a great and wonderful experience to meet all of you, which made this convention leagues better than anything else I've ever done. I met and quickly spoke to Zun (TWICE!!! ^^) as well as get my Symposium signed by the man himself.

All the panels that I attended were different in the best of ways! It's truly humbling to see how far and deep the Touhou community runs as well as how dedicated people are for hauling themselves from all over just to come and meet this one individual.

I was Tenshi on Friday and Saturday and thanks to everyone who made this weekend truly unforgettable!

I finally got ahead!

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 03:20:01 AM »
Thanks to a lot of heroics on AWA?s end (seriously I can?t thank you guys enough!) I was able to get a direct interview with ZUN. Originally he had declined any and all private interviews but the CEO of AWA stepped in on my behalf and arranged for us to have a small interview with him. Sola and I stuck mostly to more general gaming and personally oriented questions as he had respectfully requested not to discuss Touhou directly.

Is there some link about that interview?
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 03:34:33 AM »
I /just/ got the translation notes from the interview tonight from Sola, so sometime later this week I will have it up as part of my writeup.