Author Topic: I am working on a fangame and would like some guidance and music  (Read 15434 times)

Hello everyone, I am working on making a Touhou fangame and would like some assistance. First of all, I would like to know how I could upload and share my game online (non-profit of course). What I am asking is "can I use a file sharing site?" I am not familiar with the services of the internet. Secondly, I would like someone to develop some short musical tracks for my game, it would be most appreciated. Thank you all, any assistance is most appreciated.

Silent Sinner in Scarlet

• Chiptune musician in PMD98
  • I will remain silent on that question.
    • My musician profile on CD Baby
Re: I am working on a fangame and would like some guidance and music
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 03:00:12 PM »
Will you be OK with chiptune music? Because I have done a handful. If, on the other hand, you need more modern music, then I would be no good option until I get more comfortable with Avid Pro Tools.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 09:32:09 PM »
Yes, Thank you, that is most appreciated. I indeed feel like this game should have chiptune music. Would you prefer it if I provided a list of the themes that I would like remade? Lastly I want to know what exact words I should provide within the game to give you proper credit. Thank you so much.

Silent Sinner in Scarlet

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 12:02:04 AM »
Yes, Thank you, that is most appreciated. I indeed feel like this game should have chiptune music. Would you prefer it if I provided a list of the themes that I would like remade?
Yes. It is even possible some of those themes are already made either by me or by someone else, depending on the desired chiptune style: NES/Famicom (HertzDevil?s domain), SNES/SFC, C64/Amiga (PigDevil2010?s favorites), PC-9801 (my field of expertise, but also handled by Pedipanol, ShinkoNet, HertzDevil, and a few others).

Lastly I want to know what exact words I should provide within the game to give you proper credit. Thank you so much.
Just call me Silent Sinner in Scarlet. If that is too long, then just call me SilSinn.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 01:32:34 AM »
Thank you, I'm not sure what style of chiptune I would like, it's up to you. I would recommend making short themes, the stages are fairly short, so the player might not hear the entirety of the song. I would also recommend just making the better parts of the songs, as I said, the stages are short, and the theme would restart for every stage, so trying to build up the song would not work like it would in a longer game. (I do not remember the precise name of all of the songs) The themes that I would like remade are : "Heian Alien" (Houjuu Nue's theme(which will also be the theme for the title, credits, and one stage, this should be longer than most of the others)), as well as a calm toned "Tomboyish Girl in Love" (Cirno's theme), Alices stage theme ("The Doll Maker of Bucuresti (I am fairly certain that is not how it is spelled/maybe not what it is called)"), "Crystalized Silver" (Letty's theme), "Lost Remote" (Koishi's stage theme), "The Maid and the Pocket Watch of Blood" (Sakuya's stage theme), Patchouli's theme ("Locked Girl" is all I remember regarding the name), Septette for the Dead Princess (Remila's theme), Youmu's stage theme("Mystic Oriental Temple" I think) Border of Life (Yuyuko's theme) "Cinderella Cage - Kagome Kagome" (Reisen's stage theme), The stage 6 theme from Touhou 8("Voyager 1969" I think)"Flight of the Bamboo Cutter - Lunatic Princess" (Kaguya's theme) "Because Princess
Inada is Scolding Me" (Minoriko's theme) "Apparitions Stalk the Night" (Rumia's theme) "Desire Drive" (Seiga's stage theme) Yukari's stage theme (I can't remember the name, but this should be somewhat longer than some of the others, I intend to use it in a long stage) "Necrofantasia" (Yukari's Boss theme, which might also be longer) and lastly, Luna Clock LunarDial" (Sakuya's theme, but it would only be used in a fast stage(Not necessary if it's too much of an inconvenience) I'm sorry for the long post and the sloppiness of the list. I thank you.

Silent Sinner in Scarlet

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 01:35:06 AM »
Like, how many seconds per loop?

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 02:15:26 AM »
Well seconds per loop is not something that I had thought out very much, but I think that most of the songs should be 25 second per loop, "Heian Alien", "Septette for the Dead Princess", "Border of Life", "Flight of the Bamboo Cutter - Lunatic Princess", Yukari's Stage theme that I can't remember the name of, and Necrofantasia should all be maybe 50 seconds per loop. As I said, please use some of the more distinct parts of the tracks, I don't think they should be as long as the originals. Thank you.

Silent Sinner in Scarlet

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 02:41:42 AM »
OK.

You gave me a list of 19 tracks. I am not familiar with two of them (Koishi?s and Seiga?s themes) so it will take me very long to do them (unless I can find someone else who would be willing to do them for you in my stead). Nue?s theme is familiar to me, but because there are no MIDI references for her, I would have to do hers by stark-naked ear alone (it would be the first time I do her theme ever), so it might take me quite long (but not as long as those two above). That leaves 16 tracks that would, in theory, be a piece of cake since collectively HertzDevil & I already did their full versions before (in the same PMD98 chiptune format), so it would be merely a matter of revisiting their source codes (he released his sources under a CC-BY-SA license, and I still have my unreleased sources), removing certain notes & patterns, and re-compiling them to match the target loop lengths (and for the Cirno one, a calmer tone would mean slowing down the tempo a bit, somewhat lowering the overall pitch, and simplifying the percussions ? no big deal).

Last question would be: What audio format (WAV, MP3, OGG, M4A) do you want their unrepeated loops in?

I may start after Reitaisai (this weekend) and would work on them alongside my own full-length stuff (because some of my stuff overlaps with your request). Agreed?

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 03:37:35 AM »
I appreciate this, I am almost certain that WAV will work for me, though I have little to no knowledge in this field, if it isn't so much of a bother, would it be fine if I could have one track so far in WAV, just to see if it will work? Thank you.

Silent Sinner in Scarlet

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 03:41:19 AM »
OK, but you will have to wait until after Reitaisai (May 5th) before you get a sample WAV. I think I would start with Rumia?s theme because it is the shortest one in its full form (so it will require less editing to bring it down to 25 s/loop). Cheers!

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 05:16:35 PM »
As for how to share your game, I think itch.io is a good place for that.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 09:09:15 PM »
OK, but you will have to wait until after Reitaisai (May 5th) before you get a sample WAV. I think I would start with Rumia’s theme because it is the shortest one in its full form (so it will require less editing to bring it down to 25 s/loop). Cheers!
Thank you, I only wanted a sample WAV to see if it would work, but I do not have many doubts that it would not, the sound effects I am using are WAV, so I am near certain that it will work. I am not entirely done with the game yet, so don't worry about how long it takes
I am not familiar with two of them (Koishi’s and Seiga’s themes) so it will take me very long to do them
Just a small question, how long is "very long"?

Silent Sinner in Scarlet

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 09:54:14 PM »
Not sure, probably as far as Redditaisai (if not as far as Comiket). Depending on how long it takes me to do Heian Alien (which I would like to tackle before the other two, since I am more familiar with Heian).

If this timespan is too long for you, please understand I am also working on my first cover album (half of the music is done right now) and I might also be working with an uncle on musical arrangements for profit (for which I was tasked with learning to use Pro Tools). And I also have four FANDOM wikis (none Tōhō-related) to administer (especially because they have recently become targets of vandalism and sockpuppetry).

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 10:16:24 PM »
Not sure, probably as far as Redditaisai (if not as far as Comiket). Depending on how long it takes me to do Heian Alien (which I would like to tackle before the other two, since I am more familiar with Heian).
I'm not sure when those events would be, but knowing this is reassuring. I'm sorry to bother you, but I thank you, I wouldn't know the first thing about music.

Silent Sinner in Scarlet

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 10:26:57 PM »
What is your target release date?

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 10:46:42 PM »
What is your target release date?
I am not the most concerned about the release date, but I thought it would be nice to get it out before Touhou 17 comes out, there is a small reference, but it's not important. Honestly, I'm fine with waiting longer, it means I can make the finishing touches.

Bro

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 11:57:00 PM »
Nue?s theme is familiar to me, but because there are no MIDI references for her, I would have to do hers by stark-naked ear alone (it would be the first time I do her theme ever), so it might take me quite long (but not as long as those two above).
Here's a link to a MIDI (with download) of Heian Alien.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt-0mxTpGTs

There are quite a few other transcriptions of her theme that exist, although this ^ one is the only one I could find with a MIDI download.

Silent Sinner in Scarlet

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 08:16:19 PM »
I am not the most concerned about the release date, but I thought it would be nice to get it out before Touhou 17 comes out, there is a small reference, but it's not important. Honestly, I'm fine with waiting longer, it means I can make the finishing touches.
TH17 will come out about the same timeframe as Comiket. Redditaisai (July 27) will occur before Comiket. So there may be a slim chance that the full list of tracks could be available by then.

Or, in case I don?t make that deadline for the two hardest tracks, then you could release a demo of your game ahead of TH17 (using half of the other 16 or 17 tracks) and later release the full game.

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 12:10:08 AM »
TH17 will come out about the same timeframe as Comiket. Redditaisai (July 27) will occur before Comiket.
Thank you for the information
Or, in case I don’t make that deadline for the two hardest tracks, then you could release a demo of your game ahead of TH17 (using half of the other 16 or 17 tracks) and later release the full game.
Well, this game is just my attempt to make a game, I do have other ideas that I feel like I could do, I could work on those if I get the rest of this first game done before you are finished with those tracks. Thank you.

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 06:37:10 PM »
Is it too late to change my request? I am having second thoughts about this game and would rather try something else.

Silent Sinner in Scarlet

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 12:03:16 AM »
Is it too late to change my request? I am having second thoughts about this game and would rather try something else.
Well, it is your project and I still haven?t started doing the edits, so if there is something you want to change (like replace Rumia with another yokai), then just say it; Comiket is still far away so there is room for adjustments.

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 12:43:23 AM »
I'm glad you haven't started the edits yet, because I have changed my mind and started a new project. I don't know exactly where this one will go, but I can give a general idea of what kind of themes I would find ideal. Ideally, I would like the following, possibly in different tones because this game will have story and revolve around the characters with these themes: Minoriko's stage and boss theme (the stage theme would be for Shizuha), I know these characters are recent and it might take a LONG time for these themes to be remade, but I would like the stage 5, stage 6, and extra stage boss themes from Touhou 16. These themes would only be used rarely, so I don't need more than one tone for them, they should both have a mysterious tone: Eternity Larva's theme, and Doremy Sweet's theme. I apologize that because they are recent, you might not find MIDIs and it might take a while, but not I am just saying these themes would be ideal because they are the characters I have in mind.

Silent Sinner in Scarlet

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 01:47:40 AM »
Maybe the Aki themes could be done, although I cannot guarantee anything.

Almost all TH16 themes you asked for are probably beyond my grasp since I never played anything beyond TH09 and never listened to the original music that came after TH12 (and since I am no fond of software piracy these days, I do not feel like being in the mood of searching torrents merely for the BGMs alone). But I at least do have a full MML source for the TH16 stage-6 boss theme (I believe she is Okina Matara; if so, ShinkoNet did the full version of her theme on both Nico Nico and YouTube and released the source code on PasteBin), so at least I could do that one in particular, guaranteed.

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2019, 03:56:20 AM »
Maybe the Aki themes could be done, although I cannot guarantee anything.

Almost all TH16 themes you asked for are probably beyond my grasp since I never played anything beyond TH09 and never listened to the original music that came after TH12 (and since I am no fond of software piracy these days, I do not feel like being in the mood of searching torrents merely for the BGMs alone). But I at least do have a full MML source for the TH16 stage-6 boss theme (I believe she is Okina Matara; if so, ShinkoNet did the full version of her theme on both Nico Nico and YouTube and released the source code on PasteBin), so at least I could do that one in particular, guaranteed.
Good, The Aki sister and Okina themes were the important ones. I'm not sure if it helps, but I did a quick search for the MIDIs and I think I might have found them, though I'm not sure if they're usable or anything. Eternity's theme is called "Midsummer Fairies Dream" and Doremy's theme is called "Eternal Spring Dream" I found them both as MIDIs on youtube, both by the same user. I would lastly like to make a correction though we have shifted topics: Koishi's theme is called "Last Remote" not lost remote.

Silent Sinner in Scarlet

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 04:37:52 AM »
Is Last Remote a stage theme or a boss theme? Because Pedipanol did a cover titled Hartmann?s Youkai Girl (and the source is out there), but I am not sure if that is stage or boss theme of Koishi or some other similar TH11 yōkai.

If you can link me the MIDI links (or the YouTube links to the videos having the MIDI links on their descriptions), I will appreciate it, but still MIDIs provide no info regarding how they should loop (where is the loop point, for example).

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2019, 01:10:17 PM »
If you can link me the MIDI links (or the YouTube links to the videos having the MIDI links on their descriptions), I will appreciate it, but still MIDIs provide no info regarding how they should loop (where is the loop point, for example).
Right now, I am in a hurry, so I might come back sometime to respond to this part.
Is Last Remote a stage theme or a boss theme? Because Pedipanol did a cover titled Hartmann’s Youkai Girl (and the source is out there), but I am not sure if that is stage or boss theme of Koishi or some other similar TH11 yōkai.
Last Remote is Koishi's stage theme, "Hartmann's Youkai Girl" is her boss theme. I do not currently need this theme anymore, now that I've given up, or at least put on hold, the previous project.

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 12:22:58 AM »
Alright, I have a more complete list of the 13 tracks I need, I do not need Eternity's theme for this. First, I need Minoriko's stage and boss themes (more specifically, Minoriko's boss theme "Because Princess Inada is Scolding Me" as something you would hear as a title, another as an ending, and a calm toned track as well.) , Okina's boss theme (which you mentioned earlier), the stage 5 boss theme of Touhou 16 ("Crazy Backup Dancers") and Doremy's boss theme "Eternal Sping Dream." The next tracks are just what would be ideal, but could be replaced with something else if it is more convenient: Satori's boss theme ("Third Eye Maiden"?), Sakuya's boss theme ("Flowering Night" because it's short and the context is actually about cleaning), Ichirin's theme (or any of Marisa's), Mystia's theme ("Deaf to All but the Song"), Chen's theme, Aya's theme, Okina's theme again (maybe more light-hearted). All of the themes should be about 25 seconds in length. I feel like I should clarify something else, I do not wish for you to do anything that would loop the songs, I can do that myself, I just don't know if it would work with what I'm using if it were not made in a specific way, it should work if it's a simple WAV file.

Z_A

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 08:45:52 PM »
Hi. I might be able to lend you a hand, in some form. First, have a listen to my arrangements on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-595154314/tracks I can very likely adapt some of those tracks for your game if you want, as well as arrange some more if the style is okay for you.

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 10:20:17 PM »
Hi. I might be able to lend you a hand, in some form. First, have a listen to my arrangements on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-595154314/tracks I can very likely adapt some of those tracks for your game if you want, as well as arrange some more if the style is okay for you.
I think Silent is working on tracks or is planned to, but if you would like to help, that would be appreciated. Also, I have other ideas for games, this first one is mostly a test to ensure that I can make one. If you want to help with tracks for other games, I would be grateful.

Also, about my previous list, after some cuts, I no longer need Satori's theme, and I don't need a second remix of Okina's theme.

Z_A

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2019, 06:08:37 PM »
Well... we got in touch and he offered that I help you instead (provided that you find my music acceptable for your game).