Author Topic: Touhou 12-14 Gameplay-Altering Patches  (Read 44025 times)

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
Touhou 12-14 Gameplay-Altering Patches
« on: June 02, 2013, 05:38:17 PM »
Index
Supernatural Influence: Info, Download (Current Version: 0.99)
UFO Autobomb Patch: Info, Download
TD Autobomb Patch: Info, Download
TD Boss Rush Patch: Info, Download
TD Boss Rush v2 Patch: Info, Download
DDC Autobomb Patch: Info, Download (Trial), (1.00a), (1.00b)
DDC Boss Rush v1 Patch: Info, Download (Trial)
DDC Boss Rush v2 Patch: Info, Download (Trial), (1.00a), (1.00b)
DDC Pacifist Mode: Info, Download (Trial), (1.00a), (1.00b)

Yeah, figured I'd write one for DDC too.

I've started looking through the game's code because... well, that's just what I do, and figured I'd work on a simple project to give my search some direction and focus. Beats digging through code at random. ;) As with all of my (...recent) patches and hacks, it is to be run in DDC's folder and creates a new patched exe rather than modifying the original one.

Of note is Sakuya's bomb (Sakuya A, that is). While it "activates" just fine, it will eat up bullets afterwards without being affected in the least (effectively making Sakuya invulnerable for a pretty long while). Once the border shrinks away you still get 3 bomb fragments back no matter how many bullets you hit. Because the patch ONLY removes the test for the bomb key on being hit by a bullet and absolutely nothing else, I'm under the impression Sakuya can "deathbomb" even when under the influence of her bomb. Or... this could be common knowledge and I'm just out of the loop about Sakuya's bombs. ;P

No matter. Enjoy!

Edit: Confirmed. Sakuya A's bomb does not go away if you "deathbomb" while it is active. Damn that's OP. XD
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 06:40:37 AM by EthanSilver »

Latest works
The Strongest

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
Touhou 14 Boss-Rush Patch
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 05:06:47 AM »
Next up as one of my more interesting findings... a boss-rush mode (and patch). Yep, damned thing was tucked away in the bowels of the demo. Is ZUN planning on something, or is this just some debugging aid I've stumbled on? Beats me. Haven't had a chance to dig around yet to work it out. This was just too cool not to make a patch right away.

Like the autobomb patch, run the executable in the same folder as the DDC trial ("th14.exe") to produce a patched executable ("th14-bossrush.exe"). Run it and start a new game.

Latest works
The Strongest

Drake

Re: Touhou 14 Autobomb Patch (And More!)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 05:55:32 AM »
There is no way that's a coincidence, it changes more than just cutting to the bosses. I imagine it's for debugging, but man that would be sweet.
Regardless, it's possible that he won't remove it for the final version, in which case it would be fantastically easy to have the full-game boss rush.
Great find.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
Touhou 13 Boss Rush Mode
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 06:11:17 AM »

Oh crap. TD has it too. I'm willing to bet several other games might as well. :) I'll be releasing a few new patches tomorrow it seems (getting kinda late over here)...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 06:00:50 PM by EthanSilver »

Latest works
The Strongest

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
Touhou 13 Boss Mode Patch
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 06:01:29 PM »
Ten Desires Boss Mode Patch

Unfortunately only TD has it. The other games don't seem to. GFW has something that looks similar in memory and is handled identically in the stage-setup code but modifying it didn't seem to impact the game any. Plus areas in the code that look up and use this value don't seem to be doing anything boss-rush-ish.

TD's "boss mode" is well-implemented. Starting a new game will allow you to fight all bosses back to back up to Miko. Playing the extra stage will allow you to fight Mamizou right away (skipping the stage and dialog entirely). I've also tweaked stage practice mode so it behaves like the regular game but with only one boss (the selected stage's). Spell practice behaves just like it originally does. As with all patches, run it in your TD installation directory.

Well, back to digging around DDC's code...

Latest works
The Strongest

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 06:02:41 PM »
By the by, thanks for the eXceed3rd English patch. I remember the old one. It was pretty ... amusing.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »
Well, I didn't know that was tucked away like that. Huh. It's amazing what can be found with some code digging.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
Touhou 14 Boss-Rush Patch v2.0
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 05:30:17 AM »
I've made a few tweaks to DDC's boss-rush patch.

This new version does 3 things:
  • It gives the boss-rush patch its own score file, seperate from DDC's.
  • To compensate for the lack of stages to gather power in, each power item is worth 0.05 instead of 0.01.
  • It also gives the boss-rush patch its own replay folder. However you'll have to reset the replay once after it starts to make it properly enter "boss mode". (I'm not quite clear why this is yet.) I should note replays desync pretty bad on my end and I've read about a lot of people with replay synchronization problems as well, so this is probably not a very meaningful change to the hack anyway.

I'll probably do something similar for TD's patch as well.

By the by, thanks for the eXceed3rd English patch. I remember the old one. It was pretty ... amusing.
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it - the old english patch often left me scratching my head trying to follow the plot. It's more of a rewrite than a translation so I could've gotten some of it wrong; I wouldn't recommend using it to back up any discussions about the game. ;)

Latest works
The Strongest

Re: Touhou 13/14 Autobomb/Boss-Rush Patches
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 02:56:26 PM »
Cool stuff man.  I was actually wishing there was an easier way to play with Kagerou and wasn't expecting anything to happen until Drake got to messing with the full release, so this totally made my day.  Also, I noticed a couple bugs with these - two of TD's nons are broken - Yuyuko's first doesn't even exist, and Yoshika just sits back and watches during Seiga's first, making it pretty trivial.  Also, it seems that timing out the final of any boss will result in a game over, and continuing will make you get stuck in the stage, which is an especially big problem for Yoshika, or if you wanted to get more practice time in by pacifying or something.

Mordon

• Bunny Lord
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 05:47:22 PM »
May I link your patches and/or this topic in our forum?

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 06:03:51 PM »
May I link your patches and/or this topic in our forum?

He hasn't logged in for 1 month, but I think he'd agree as long as you give credit and/or link his site.

Btw, if it'll specifically for the boss rush there's also the SA/UFO boss rush made by Drake that has even been added to the Touhouwiki's Tools page.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 06:05:59 PM by Wriggle »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 03:00:08 AM »
EthanSilver does not approve of linking the patches. You must link to his site (in his sig) or to this thread.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 12:52:30 AM »
He hasn't logged in for 1 month, but I think he'd agree as long as you give credit and/or link his site.
I've been around. Just lurking to see if Arknarok was going to reply to the KK translation thread. ...Also kinda got sucked into Hellsinker for a... little while... longer than I expected. >_>

Regarding linking... I don't really mind people linking directly to the patches but for larger-scale distribution, like on someone's site for instance, I ask that the page on my site be linked to rather than the patch itself distributed directly. I'd rather the most up-to-date and bug-free versions be the ones made available to avoid certain issues I've run into in the past.

While on the subject of updates, I'm throwing together an update to the TD version (which, among others, will implement the DDC changes as well). Look forward to it! :)

Latest works
The Strongest

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 12:56:25 AM »
I've been around. Just lurking to see if Arknarok was going to reply to the KK translation thread. ...Also kinda got sucked into Hellsinker for a... little while... longer than I expected. >_>

Regarding linking... I don't really mind people linking directly to the patches but for larger-scale distribution, like on someone's site for instance, I ask that the page on my site be linked to rather than the patch itself distributed directly. I'd rather the most up-to-date and bug-free versions be the ones made available to avoid certain issues I've run into in the past.

While on the subject of updates, I'm throwing together an update to the TD version (which, among others, will implement the DDC changes as well). Look forward to it! :)

I see. Thanks for the reply! (I'm from his forum as well)

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 09:24:22 PM »
I've updated the Ten Desire patch to be the same way the DDC boss rush patch currently is.

- The game uses its own score.dat file (scorebr13.dat).
- Power items are worth 5 instead of 1, to compensate for the lack of stages.

However, I haven't added support for replays since they seem to be as broken here as with DDC. I may tackle the various bugs boss-mode has in a later patch, though, and attempt to get replays and other issues that have been mentioned in this thread to work like they should. Eventually. :)

Page
The patch

Edit: Wow I suck. Posted local links. ^^; Fix'd.

Latest works
The Strongest

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 08:54:48 AM »
Great patches. I love them.

But I found a bug in your TD Boss Patch v2.

If you end a stage in the Spirit World, you stay there. Until you restart the game. I got the bug while I was playing as Sanae, but I expect it can be achieved with the other characters.

I also played Extra, and the bug was still in affect. I played in other difficulties, and it was still there. It lasted until I closed the game.

Yep, you have a very game-breaking bug here.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 07:58:04 PM »
Yep, you have a very game-breaking bug here.
Actually I have no control over the "boss-rush" mode. As mentioned in earlier posts my patch only makes something already in the game but normally inaccessible, accessible (and alters a few basic game mechanics to balance out things a bit). Since the boss-rush mode was left out of the final game the occasional bug is to be expected (ex, timing out a spellcard) - ZUN wouldn't have had any reason to give it a nice shiny coat of polish if it wasn't meant to be used by anyone else.

Latest works
The Strongest

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
Touhou 12-14 Gameplay-Altering Patches
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 02:43:15 AM »
New little hack for DDC.

Page
Patch

I was messing around with bullet-related code and decided, just for the hell of it, to remove all enemy bullets from play. I suppose this could be used to explore alternative scoring "routes" through a stage, PoC-wise. Lasers are not removed, as different code handles those and I haven't looked into it yet, so parts of stage 2 and 3, and much of Sekibanki's fight, are still deadly. I don't really care to work on those until the full version is out though (seeing as there's so little time left, it'd be wasted effort).

So hey, dunno if this is fun to anyone, but I figured I may as well share it. :)

Now that DDC has been released, I've updated all of the patches for the trial to run on the full version. The links can be found in the first post.

Note that, in regards to the boss-rush patch, Cirno is now considered the first stage boss and Hime is no longer accessible. Replays don't work with it, either. As I've said before, there's nothing I can do about this - this is how ZUN implemented things; I'm just making them accessible. I do intend to look into writing a fix to skip over Cirno eventually as Hime is arguably much more fun to fight against...

Oh hai shrinemaiden.org; I'm back from a trip down at ye 'ol disassembly mines and I've brought gifts!

Sitting somewhere in DDC are several interesting hidden features. The boss-rush one, we're all familiar with now (...sorta - still not clear on what that's really for and if it's really JUST a boss-rush. ...there's some weird stuff in the code relating to it...). But wait - there's even more!

At 00457830 is code that appears to be setting up a sound test. The plain-text function (used to display the FPS counter, for instance; it's at 0040BDC0) is used to display "Sound Test", "S.E. #", "Quit", and a ">" as a cursor.

At 0041E400 hides a much more intriguing beast. Namely, a sprite-viewer. About two functions down is some kind of position display (written to the screen using the plain-text function in the format "Pos XXX YYY"), which is probably related.

Neither of these are accessible, of course (ohai #ifdef DEBUG...). But something tells me that's only a matter of time. >_>
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 05:53:15 AM by EthanSilver »

Latest works
The Strongest

Jx31

• Hot Garbage
Re: Touhou 12-14 Gameplay-Altering Patches
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 02:37:49 AM »
EthanSilver, is something wrong with your site?  I can't access it at all.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 05:31:48 AM »
EthanSilver, is something wrong with your site?  I can't access it at all.
Seems fine to me right now. You may have caught it being down momentarily while my host was doing some cleanup or something to that end. Are you still unable to reach it?

Aha! Found out and confirmed what the boss rush thing is while taking a little evening stroll through a disassembly of DDC...

It's a happy coincidence that things result in a "boss rush" - the game sets "boss mode" when in spell practice mode (which didn't exist in the demo when "boss mode" was first discovered; 004dd680 set to 4 - the test is at 045E51A). The reason it works out so well is because during a full stage the game is scheduled to load up all of a boss's nonspells and spellcards whereas spell practice mode only queues up a single specific spellcard. Once all queued-up attacks are done, spell practice mode signals the game to "move to the next step", which generally means "nothing more" so we return to the menus. When the full game is loaded, the "next step" is the next stage (and eventually the ending), so the entire game ends up playing start to finish by daisy-chaining boss battles together in a glorious boss-rush sequence.

So to sum it up, this isn't some super-awesome feature inexplicably left out by ZUN - just spell practice mode operating under unexpected conditions. :) Odds are IN has a similar approach but DDC and IN are built on two completely different engines. There's no guarantee, but I suppose it's worth looking into sometime later...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:33:53 AM by EthanSilver »

Latest works
The Strongest

Tengukami

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 10:20:47 AM »
I love this thread. Not only for the patches; I like reading about ZUN's actual code. It's really eye-opening.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Jx31

• Hot Garbage
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 02:18:37 PM »
Seems fine to me right now. You may have caught it being down momentarily while my host was doing some cleanup or something to that end. Are you still unable to reach it?

Yeah, I still can't reach the site.  I guess it's an issue with my ISP since it doesn't sound like anything is wrong on your end.

Tengukami

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 02:27:32 PM »
Yeah, I have no issues reaching his site.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 08:49:57 AM »
I keep stumbling on small things that could be fun to mess around with, and wanted a better solution than making a patch just to change one byte here or there. Sleep-deprived, I managed to cook up something earlier this afternoon.

Presenting "Supernatural Influence".

This runs user-creatable modules written in a simple markup language that describe how to apply modifications to a game. Currently I'm distributing a few basic "cheat" modules (for the most part) for Touhous 12 through 14 but I expect the list to quickly fill up and start containing more unusual things. ;)

Please read the readme included with the program. Modules (*.sim) are plain text files editable with any text editor. As with all my patches, this applies the modifications to a copy rather than overwriting the original - backups are still a wise idea despite this. Just in case my sleep-deprived mind hasn't slipped one gear too many while handling some really sensitive chunk of code. >_>
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:55:37 AM by EthanSilver »

Latest works
The Strongest

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 01:32:35 AM »
P.S. In the OP, it says Pacific mode instead of pacifist.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 02:18:35 AM »
I've added the info page for Supernatural Influence and released a quick little update. Nothing major, mostly interface-related changes and support for string-based modifications. I've also added a way to change the DDC score file's name in the DDC module to "show off" the latter change.

P.S. In the OP, it says Pacific mode instead of pacifist.
Woops, my bad. Thanks, I fixed it just now. :)

Latest works
The Strongest

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 05:11:23 PM »
Woops, my bad. Thanks, I fixed it just now. :)

Did you get the one on your website too? Just noticed it now.

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 11:36:45 PM »
It seems that the DDC patches only work with 1.00a version of the game.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 06:52:30 AM »
It seems that the DDC patches only work with 1.00a version of the game.
I've made mention of this before, I think, but when the 1.00b patch came out I decided I'd wait about a month or two in case ZUN would release another patch so I wouldn't waste time rewriting the patches only to have to do it again shortly after. I lost track of time but what the hey - we're probably good to go at this point. You'll find a version of each patch for 1.00b in the original post and on my website. Likewise, I've added to SI a module for DDC 1.00b - nothing new over the 1.00a modifications though.

Speaking of SI, it's now at v0.99. Some documentation has been included with it along with a couple of new modifications for Touhou 12-14. The changes (and full list of included mods) can be seen on the Supernatural Influence page.

Well, now that I've patched my copy of the game to 1.00b I have to rebuild a month or so's worth of code dumps and listings. Argh...! I wish ZUN'd take care to program his own familiar games properly. Without any bugs. :)

Latest works
The Strongest

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 07:16:02 AM »
Didn't you say on another site you wouldn't autobomb MoF or SA because that would trivialize the two games?
Because I'm pretty sure that's what happened when I tried the autobomb version of DDC. Wow. What happened to Lunatic mode