Author Topic: Metroid Prime Federations Force! The Metroid game we all wanted ???  (Read 4407 times)

For almost a decade, long time Nintendo fans have been waiting for a true Metroid game.

Metroid is one of Nintendo's most beloved and respected franchises spanning almost 30 years of legacy.

The foundations of isolation, atmosphere and exploration in unknown planets are what made Metroid great. With the release of the Wii U and its greater technological capabilities thousands of fans were expecting a new and improved Metroid game.

However, we got this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfn4dZIW7Ms

Fellow Maidens, this is the next Metroid game, the one, all of us wanted! 

A Metroid game that doesn't star Samus, nor has any Metroid elements! ( Besides the Galactic Federation )

A Metroid game with gameplay based out of Prime Hunter's gameplay!

Exciting right? Start the Hype train!

Of course i am being extremely sarcastic. This worries me...  :ohdear:

Is this the future of Metroid?

Think about the damage Other M made to the series, for years we haven't had a new game because of Other M.

Now we get this, the game that was going to " revive " the series.

This game is getting massive amounts of hate. On countless websites we see fans argueying about this game...

Do you think Nintendo will scrap this game? I certainly hope so, because of the damage this game would do if it get's released under the name of Metroid.

All in all the future looks bleak for Metroid at this point.
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby

Re: Metroid Prime Federations Force! The Metroid game we all wanted ???
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 01:31:55 AM »
Indeed, just like Megaman it looks like the fans will run the Metroid franchise now.

I hope Nintendo doesn't try anything funny with AM2R, like they did when they stole the Mario Maker idea from that flash game.

AM2R and Mother 4 as well as Megaman X Corrupted

Those are a few of the fangames i have in mind lately.
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS

Drake

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 01:42:43 AM »
I wear black today. Words cannot describe all of the feelings that I am feel

I hope Nintendo doesn't try anything funny with AM2R, like they did when they stole the Mario Maker idea from that flash game.
Custom Mario hacks have been a thing for over a decade. They didn't steal any ideas, especially not from any one particular game.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 01:56:17 AM »
What about:

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-shuts-down-fan-made-full-screen-mario-project/

?Full Screen Mario? also included randomly generated levels as well as a level editor "

Isn't that the whole concept of Mario Maker?

Drake

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 02:38:59 AM »
That's just Nintendo protecting their IP. That's nothing special, and is fully within Nintendo's rights to take down. It's a pretty clear copyright violation. This example was also more than just a pet project; he was using the game to promote himself, and did so very successfully. We don't even know how much he got in donations -- it's pretty safe to say that he profited from working under violations of copyright. We can talk about whether Nintendo should have taken it down, or whatever, but that isn't the point here. You said that Nintendo "stole" the idea of Mario Maker from this guy, which is not only factually incorrect, it's entirely the opposite: he used Nintendo's IP to make his thing. Plus, as I said, fanmade custom Mario games have been around for ages. This guy didn't reinvent the wheel or anything.

As far as anyone's aware, Mario Maker started as an internal development tool for the NSMB games, which makes total sense dev-wise. They almost certainly had a level editor already when developing the games, and Mario Maker would be essentially just a stripped-down and prettied-up version of the thing.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 02:43:36 AM by Drake »

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 02:46:15 AM »
I apologize for using harsh words such as stolen, but i am super sad a the moment with these news.

So basically he did the same as Soysauce.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 03:25:22 AM »
I'm just going to be honest here. I loved Metroid Prime: Hunters (I did not so much like the other players online or how ridiculously easy it was to hack or just use AR, mind, I mostly played offline despite it being more multiplayer focused) as well as Other M. I loved the rest of the series, the Prime games even more so, I've been playing them from the very beginning, still play them all today, and after hearing of a new Metroid, this game may have my interest as well (I have not watched anything related to it just yet so I cannot judge)

I would just like to ask, less about this one and more of the previous, what is it about these games that people did not like? Because I'm of the other opinion myself, I'm just interested in why it may be that other fans find these games to be bad or disappointing. I'm not trying to be the "I like them so your opinion is wrong" person, I would just like to know what everyone else thinks.

Well, back on this game anyways, I'll have to watch it later when I've got some free time, then I'll be able to give my thoughts on it. But "doesn't star Samus" and "gameplay from Hunters" does not sound so terrible to at least one fan here.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 04:28:55 AM »
I could be wrong, but I believe most people's problem with Other M was how they handled Samus. From what I've heard they took an iconic "strong" woman, a rarity in Nintendo's lineup of "damsel in distress" main female characters, and made her weak and whiny. It basically killed everything people liked her for. Now the new game completely ignores her. I just get the feeling that Nintendo completely misses a key aspect as to what made Metroid so iconic.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 04:39:09 AM »
I skipped the Wii, so I haven't played a 3D Metroid since Metroid Prime. I liked Metroid Prime a lot, but I don't think Samus was much (if any, frankly) of the reason I liked it. She could have been anybody or nobody and that game would have been exactly the same. Of course, skipping those games means I didn't play Hunters so I don't know what it means that this game is taking gameplay cues from that game, so what do I know?
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 10:58:51 AM »
Other M, in a vacuum, was a good game. The problems most people have with it are that it was notably different from Metroid customs, and that Samus was characterized as being unexpectedly weak emotionally. The authorization system was also rather silly at times (Varia Suit).

The one aspect of the game I took major issue with was how you were sometimes required to run toward the camera. This is inexcusable gameplay. Other than that, though, I had a lot of fun with the game, and actually replay it every year or two.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 11:05:17 AM »
Other M was fine when it was just being its core gameplay.  But its characterization and storytelling at best was not what people quite expected from Samus (and at worst could be argued to be glorifying an abusive relationship), and there were times where it wasn't being its core gameplay (spot the thing segments, or just spots where suddenly you had to go super slow for 'tension') where the game suffered quite a bit.

Anyway, this... yeah.  I don't know.  It really feels like it's something that isn't Metroid but has the label slapped on it to help it sell or something.  It's probably not bad, but it has so far left a bad taste in my mouth.

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 11:29:20 AM »
Actually i haven't played Other M in a while, but from what i remember, it's a backstory game. We get backstory on Samus, and Adam.

Samus has been through a lot so her reactions have to be expected like they happened ( except Ridley ) .

But that's my opinion.

SpeedySPCFan

• We are all controlled by something greater... MEMES!
  • Game reviewer or something.
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 01:58:04 PM »
I've played almost every Metroid game, at least partially, and I've had fun with most of them, but... this? I can't see it being anything worthwhile. It's a blatant cash-in with little relation to the series it's based on, and it doesn't even look fun on top of that. If anything it's yet another generic shooter with a theme slapped onto it. And then Metroid Blast Ball... I don't even know what to make out of it, I honestly thought it was some weird 3DS e-shop title by Nintendo before finding out it was a Metroid game. Looks pretty boring either way. Good going Nintendo.

Good going. :V
"Here, with the Strana Mechty wolf, we see what may be the epitome of a warrior, cunning matched with instinct and stealth, joyned with a final, terrifying attack. For this mighty creature, I name you. You are Clan Wolf." - Nicholas Kerensky (quote from BattleTech fiction)

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 01:32:32 AM »
Kotaku got an interview with Federation Force's producer. The "universe expansion" thing is kind of what I figured when the game was announced, but he was still a bit dodgy on the whole (particularly in regards to the graphics).

At least Samus and Metroids are in the game at some point.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Drake

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 02:15:02 AM »
I'm seriously worried about how similar it looks to Hunters. How can you make a similar game nearly ten years later on a newer console that looks just as bad?

There?s no scanning aspects in this game
0/10

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 02:53:49 AM »
Aparently a dedicated Nintendo fan has even started a petition and so far it's being succeseful. Look!

https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-petition-for-cancelation-of-metroid-prime-federation-force

More than 10000 in a day, i am curious to see Nintendo's responding to this, if at all.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 03:03:11 AM »
yes lets just throw away millions of dollars of development spent on a spinoff game that isn't even being made by the real metroid developers :v

Drake

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 03:21:05 AM »
There are a bunch of different possibilities here. One being that another main Metroid title is being developed, but Nintendo reeeally wanted some usable gameplay and so stuck this game in E3 instead since it's closer to release (although apparently still very unfinished). Really though if this were the case I would have loved just one screen saying "Retro Studios New 3D Metroid 2017" or something. Probably all it would take to drench my pants.