Author Topic: [Music+Art] Making Melody Needs Love! Battle's Palette (OC Theme) (2/22/12)  (Read 186693 times)

Anunsew

• No errors for 5 seconds!
  • Currently fueled by Infinite Love!
Just playing around
« Reply #300 on: November 06, 2011, 02:43:01 AM »
Just playing around a movement

Still a bit stumped on what I need to do for my next track, so I'm just playing around for now.  :ohdear:

Anunsew

On a completely unrelated note
« Reply #301 on: November 07, 2011, 04:31:05 AM »

Waha!
It's my "war" track for Graph's Touhou Mecha VN. I wanted to do something atmospheric for some time, but I'm not really good at them.

Anunsew

( 東方 OC Request) Eclipsed Light within the Radiant Darkness
As requested by: pikayo from Youtube

Another OC piece! I tried a different approach this time.

It's hard to believe the immense amount of request backlog that I'm fighting with. It's like laundry. You know you have to do them, but it's really demotivating if you look at the pile...

Not that I'm complaining of course. OC requests ensures that I'm as sharp as ever when I need to make a musical composition. :3

Anyway, this theme focuses more on leads and basses (not much different from what I usually do though), but with a little more variation of tone and beat.

I don't really understand what genre I'm going for though...

Anunsew

SEIHOU ARRANGE BWAHAHA~
« Reply #303 on: November 23, 2011, 06:05:42 AM »
ディザストラスジェミニ [Mei and Mai's Theme]

Disastrous Gemini from Shuusou Gyoku.

Okay. It's supposed to be orchestral, but it doesn't sound too realistic. Agh, the limits of synthesized samples...

Anyway, this was done completely with thFont string samples and orchestra drumkit (as well as some wind instrument samples from the same soundfont, like clarinets...).

It's surprising how suited thFont can be for these kinds of pieces. Since they have these fuzzy noise sound, it makes it a little more realistic without adding any additional effects. :P

Disastrous Gemini is one of the neglected themes of SSG. I mean, come on, it's a twin's theme! It doesn't get much more moe than that. :3

Seriously though, I love Seihou themes. XD
Listening to this theme...reminds me of old compositions, especially during the medieval era.

Ex-Nue

• ".........."
  • 凸(゚ヮ゚)凸
Re: [Music+Art] MMnL! Seihou Arrange: Disastrous Gemini (11/23/11)~!
« Reply #304 on: November 23, 2011, 08:17:17 PM »
War theme (re-eq'd)

I got this idea forming in my head listening to this, can I make a request for a stem of this?

Anunsew

« Reply #305 on: November 24, 2011, 10:45:49 AM »
@Ex-Nue
Here you go.

I hope this is what you wanted. I just googled "Music Stem" after seeing your post. :P
The tracks are split by mixer, in Mp3 256bitrate. Unfortunately, I have to normalize all of them to avoid clipping, thus the audio is softer than the final mix.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 10:47:59 AM by Anunsew »

Ex-Nue

• ".........."
  • 凸(゚ヮ゚)凸
« Reply #306 on: November 24, 2011, 11:16:35 AM »
Thank you.  :D

I'm ok with them being softer.

See ya in 6-7 hours.  I need some sleep. :/

Anunsew

December makes me sleepy
« Reply #307 on: December 09, 2011, 02:18:40 AM »
...zzzz
*shakes self awake*

Anyway, I've been busy for a while, but here's a draft release of something (for an OC request). Been messing around with thFont stuff, especially the Sawtooth and Blow Tenor. Also experimenting with TR909 drumkit in thDrums.

I've been reading some composition stuff, and learning new ways to create melodies and counterpoint. I'm also trying to let go of the contemporary tremolo bassline which I've been using for two years already. Studying ZUN's midis helped a lot, but I'm also into other composers as well... XD

What I'm really busy at is Allegro. I've been learning a few things about the Allegro library, and it's been fun doing stuff besides composing. If I just had more time, I'll...:D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:21:13 AM by Anunsew »

Anunsew

~
« Reply #308 on: December 12, 2011, 02:49:00 AM »
( 東方 OC Request) Lights Behind the Petals
As Requested by: ArmWarmerSponge from YT

Since I've been studying some stuff about melodies, I'm starting to have a different outlook on how to compose the themes. I still don't have the same dynamic styles like the other composers, but I'm learning.

Re: [Music+Art] MMnL! Lights Behind the Petals (OC request) 12/12/11
« Reply #309 on: December 13, 2011, 12:38:05 AM »
Sounds good.

I see you have been playing with synth basses. You probably already know this, but synth basses are more flexible than acoustic basses in that you can go crazy with effects. The most common and genre neutral effects are probably distortion, stereo delay and heavy chorus. I recommend you to try them out if you haven't done so already, specially stereo delay.

Oh, and happy birthday ! BV
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:41:40 AM by Master Bigode »

hourai

• reimu's gf
« Reply #310 on: December 13, 2011, 12:49:21 AM »
 (˚∇˚)
I need to download all of your arranges.
You're just really amazing;;
LEND ME SOME OF THOSE MUSIC SKILLS.

also
Happy Birthday !!

maiden's cappuccino

Anunsew

« Reply #311 on: December 13, 2011, 03:54:04 AM »
I see you have been playing with synth basses. You probably already know this, but synth basses are more flexible than acoustic basses in that you can go crazy with effects. The most common and genre neutral effects are probably distortion, stereo delay and heavy chorus. I recommend you to try them out if you haven't done so already, specially stereo delay.

They also seem to fit better in some mixes than pianos. I haven't used much effects in them (only tried reverb and stereo delay/wet echo so far) but the distortion effect seems promising. I don't really understand what you meant by heavy chorus though. >.<

(˚∇˚)
I need to download all of your arranges.
You're just really amazing;;
LEND ME SOME OF THOSE MUSIC SKILLS.
I'm not really skilled (look at my earlier works, they're not exactly what you'd call 'good'). I just practice and read a lot about music.

It also reminds me that my first page doesn't have an updated list of my arranges... :ohdear:

Oh, and happy birthday ! BV
(˚∇˚)
Happy Birthday !!

Thanks a lot! XD

« Reply #312 on: December 13, 2011, 01:57:15 PM »
Usually, people use chorus as a send with low pre-delay, LFO rate and feedback to increase the stereo width of a sound without changing its character much, but with synth sounds you can use it as an insert effect to change how the sound flows.

Irate Researchers

• The Collector of Useless Facts
  • Consider the following...
    • Devart
« Reply #313 on: December 16, 2011, 04:29:53 AM »
Ah, so I found you, the one whom Miki stated created a theme for her.

Season's greetings.

Anunsew

« Reply #314 on: December 18, 2011, 07:46:45 AM »
Ah, so I found you,
*paranoia alarms sounding
the one whom Miki stated created a theme for her.

Season's greetings.
*turns of paranoia alarm*
Season's greetings to you too. You seemed to have gone to some lengths tracing me. :p

Usually, people use chorus as a send with low pre-delay, LFO rate and feedback to increase the stereo width of a sound without changing its character much, but with synth sounds you can use it as an insert effect to change how the sound flows.
I don't know much about LFO, but I can kind of understand the pre-delay + feedback (FL's Fruity Delay VST has that option) effect on the stereo. I'll try messing with the Chorus send effect...

Decided to check out VST called VOPM. It's supposed to emulate YM 2612...though I still have to see (and hear) it for myself. I'm currently focused on efficient video buffering for my game engine...but that's totally irrelevant to this thread. >.<

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #315 on: December 18, 2011, 04:09:59 PM »
LFOs are lots of fun to mess with. Great for applying to many effects; I say it's a good idea to really play around with them on sends, instruments, even final output.

VOPM is nice, but I find the interface a bit complex (though it is FM synthesis, so it's understandable).
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Irate Researchers

• Devart
« Reply #316 on: December 19, 2011, 03:53:53 AM »
Season's greetings to you too. You seemed to have gone to some lengths tracing me. :p

Well, actually...

Miki boast -> ZUN-style artist -> Youtube (nice work, btw) -> This forum

It's not that long of a trail, although there was some time between each stage.  Verification and the like.  Considering in the span of half a week, I was able to find someone who does such music by request, I'd consider that good luck.

Moreso, considering that you replied.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #317 on: December 20, 2011, 07:30:36 PM »
Oh, I forgot to comment on your latest work!

Definitely liking the synth bass and the melody is a considerable improvement. Bass is a bit muddy at times, though, and the panned drums seem like I'm listening to an Amiga game soundtrack.

I would also replace the ZUNpet with some other lead, as I find it doesn't fit too well.
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

« Reply #318 on: December 23, 2011, 11:14:53 AM »
@The_EP
Thanks for the comment. :3

It's becoming more busy lately, with the holiday season and all, but I still find time to set up shop and write music. Anyway, I've been experimenting with the synth samples, but thFont is not making it easy for me (panning and volume differences between the sample's octaves), but I figured how to do a workaround without invoking too many soundfont players (via FL's automation; multiple instances is just waiting for a CPU underrun...).

Drum pans are actually unintended. I guess I didn't pay attention to the drum samples too much during the mixing phase. It turns out that the thDrum TR-909 (SC-55) samples are not recorded mono like the Room and Power kit, so I need to manually feed them to a mono channel before connecting them to the master channel. I'll try to avoid the weird drum pans in the future. (On the other hand, I kind of like Amiga sounds...)

Ah, the bass sounded muddy because of the HP filter I was messing around with. I set it up too high (around 100~200Hz, IIRC) at the Master bus (not a good idea now, in retrospect), On the other hand, it taught me that filters have to be applied INDIVIDUALLY to each track, instead of using a universal 40Hz+11Hz cut at the Master bus. >.<

I always seem to learn the hard way. It sucks not being a genius,

..currently listening to prog rock and goth rock music to get some fresh perspective in music...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:24:26 AM by Anunsew »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #319 on: December 23, 2011, 05:38:03 PM »
@The_EP
Thanks for the comment. :3
Not a problem. ;)

Anyway, I've been experimenting with the synth samples, but thFont is not making it easy for me (panning and volume differences between the sample's octaves), but I figured how to do a workaround without invoking too many soundfont players (via FL's automation; multiple instances is just waiting for a CPU underrun...).
I usually invoke a few synthesizer AUs instead and then add effects and layering on top, as sampled synths just sound like crap IMO. In your case using VOPM, Synth1, and SUPERWAVE P8 (maybe FM8 and ChipSounds if money and hardware permit) would be a good idea for doing just that rather than relying on SF2s.

Drum pans are actually unintended. I guess I didn't pay attention to the drum samples too much during the mixing phase. It turns out that the thDrum TR-909 (SC-55) samples are not recorded mono like the Room and Power kit, so I need to manually feed them to a mono channel before connecting them to the master channel. I'll try to avoid the weird drum pans in the future. (On the other hand, I kind of like Amiga sounds...)
Hehe, that is odd. Usually drums are panned in the centre of the mix with other things either at centre or to a side (such as the hi-hats). And yeah, I too like the Amiga sounds, but that involves figuring out how to write music in tracker notation instead :V

I always seem to learn the hard way. It sucks not being a genius,
Well, on the other hand it's a lot more fun to learn that way! :getdown:

..currently listening to prog rock and goth rock music to get some fresh perspective in music...
And then you pick up a bunch of Follin influence in the process :V
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

« Reply #320 on: December 24, 2011, 04:36:52 AM »
@The_EP
Follin, huh? I guess I can afford to be ambitious...

Also, I've discovered that the TH soundfont contains so many oddities that I gotten used to them. In fact, the habits I've developed from thFont is making it hard for me to use anything else. >.<

Anunsew

Messing around again...again...
« Reply #321 on: January 21, 2012, 02:37:57 AM »
カナベラルの夢幻少女(Canaveral's Illusionary Girl)
Also known as ssg_10.mid, but only a few people probably calls it that. <_<

Messing around with fm synths is driving me insane. Good thing I didn't have any sanity in the first place.
Used the following VSTs:
tb_peach_1_3
Chip32
tb_toad_1_3

And of course, it sounds amateurish. >.<
It's getting hard concentrating...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:39:43 AM by Anunsew »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: [Music+Art] Making Melody Needs Love! (messing around again...)
« Reply #322 on: January 21, 2012, 07:06:36 PM »
Pretty good start, I say!

Seems you just used a PSG noise generator for the percussion. Many FM chip-equipped computers, consoles, and arcade units, though, were often equipped with PCM ROMs to read drum samples off of. Other issue I have would be the background saw.

FM synths are not for the faint at heart, indeed, but the results are worth it.

Haven't heard of those VSTs, though.
Bad command or file name

Irate Researchers

• Devart
Re: [Music+Art] Making Melody Needs Love! (messing around again...)
« Reply #323 on: January 23, 2012, 09:59:11 PM »
If I might ask, what is your policy on theme requests?

Anunsew

Some stuff (FM synths again~)
« Reply #324 on: January 28, 2012, 02:10:17 AM »
Ah, I've been feeling quite unwell lately, and am currently undergoing some...er, scheduled medications.
Fortunately, my condition doesn't limit my ability to use a computer, just my stamina (mental and physical). >.<

So now, I spend time refining what I've learned from FM synths. XD
All of them are recorded  2xOversampling at 48kHz (96 kHz) with a LP filter at 11kHz and rendered at 96kbps.
Because that's what SoundTeMP used for Ragnarok tracks, bwahaha :ohdear:

Tank Girl's Dream
I switched to using tb_toad for drumkits, since using PSG noise for all percussives is really limiting.
I used ZUN's TH2 midi for this, so it's written differently, hence the intro.

Ghostly Band ~ Phantom Ensemble
I wanted a little more challenge after finishing EX-Rika's theme, so I tried something more daring. Prismriver's theme is really hard to do in FM because of the lack of polyphony, until I remembered EP's post waaaay back. Something about really high bpm...

Anyway, I managed to make it sound nice despite roofing my polyphony limit. >.<

Maiden's Capriccio ~ Dream Battle
Truth be told, I hate this theme. Don't get me wrong though, I love Capriccio (but Oriental Love will always hold the key to my heart), it's just that Dream Battle feels lacking compared to the original version.

I applied some of the stuff I learned from Phantom Ensemble here, and learned how to use ArcSine waves properly (for air instruments).  Unfortunately, it's *very* hard to do pitch bends properly. I still have to figure out the proper way to do it without the support of an effects handler...

AND THAT SAW REALLY SOUNDS LIKE A CAR HORN DAMMIT

Beloved Tomboyish Girl
An old classic, I just had to do this one at least once in my life. XD
I was actually deciding between this and the PoFV version, but I still lack the confidence to tackle the other version (which is longer and more complex).

Crystallized Silver
Messing with slides. I like how this one turned out, despite it having little difference from the original midi version. I'm starting to get a handle of the percussives here (using toad's crunch effect).

If I might ask, what is your policy on theme requests?
Request...and, er wait. I still have a backlog of requests for OCs, but I prioritize direct requests from active game projects.
Unfortunately, my health being as it is, I'm finding it hard to find inspiration for good music. My music has been a little bleak and bland lately. >.<

So far, my time is heavily consumed by migrating my code to C++ as well as finishing Katawa Shoujo...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 03:10:43 AM by Anunsew »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: [Music+Art] Making Melody Needs Love! Wheee~
« Reply #325 on: January 28, 2012, 02:53:08 AM »
Clever experimentation! I just bought a cheap Yamaha FB-01 over here, so I'll also be experimenting with FM, except with hardware.

I would still like to hear PCM drums - that can be done with a few (2-6) drum samples and a bitcrusher / downsampler VST.

I think some different operator parameters and algorithm patterns can be used between the counter-melody, harmony, and melody at times. At other times it seems as if there's too much of one operator, and not as much of the others.

One trick many used to get around polyphony limits (especially on the C64) was to very quickly arpeggiate notes in chords. For instance compare the initial chord in the Desert Dream Amiga demo to its C64 demake.

Bad command or file name

Irate Researchers

• Devart
« Reply #326 on: January 28, 2012, 06:45:42 AM »
I'm not sure if it'd help for musical inspiration, (then again, I am a bit of an oddball...)  But I like to listen to the work of others.

Of course, the closest to touhou-style would probably be from Flashygoodness...  who often works on indie games.   If that method strikes you as ideal, I'd happily link the music gallery.

Sadly, mine would have also been for OCs.  Granted, considering I've read the profiles of all of the ones you did themes for (and converse with the creators,) mine would be a tad...  different.

Anunsew

« Reply #327 on: January 29, 2012, 06:15:19 AM »
Sadly, mine would have also been for OCs.  Granted, considering I've read the profiles of all of the ones you did themes for (and converse with the creators,) mine would be a tad...  different.

Can you elaborate what you mean?  :3

Irate Researchers

• Devart
« Reply #328 on: January 29, 2012, 08:07:47 PM »
Well, one is a warlock who uses Eldritch magic, which is corrupting him.  He's been locked away in an invisible floating spire for past crimes, (specifically, killing his girlfriend by accident, and nearly summoning an Old God onto Earth in a bout of madness,) and has only been able to watch everyone else outside his airborne prison.  He's a little bit envious of everyone outside, and spends most of his time doing elaborate rituals to attempt escape.  Aftereffects of failed rituals cause nightmares in youkai. 
(his incident he causes follows)
These nightmares cause some familiar incident-solvers to hunt for the source of the nightmares, running across the spirit guardian of the magic seals, the warlock's only underling, and a clockwork sentry before reaching him.  He battles the assailants a bit before asking how they reached him, and, upon discovering they pummeled the forces keeping him in, he gleefully breaks out of the tower.  Upon finding that his prison was yet inside a sealed LAND, he uses his power, in rage, to take control of all the youkai he can, descending into madness, and becoming a puppet of forces that should remain forgotten.  He sets the forest of magic on fire while in their thrall, and is about to burn a path of destruction until the heroines beat him into sensibility.  Beaten and dejected, he stifles the fires, and returns to his now-unsealed tower, determined to make amends for his mistakes, should the need arise.

The other is an energetic dragonfly youkai, who is obsessed with the outside world, but isn't all that bright.  She's gathered a collection of lost military hardware, mostly lost through the Bermuda Triangle, and has built a small fleet of miniature helicopters.  She considers herself the head of the warlock's youkai forces (she's the only one of his forces...)  And believes him to be her best friend, much to his dismay.   She discovered his tower when one of the rituals went awry, allowing her, then a humble dragonfly, to become a youkai.  Her overall theme is helicopters and aviation, and she would love to establish a militant force, but lacks the intelligence to organize and lead one.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:16:39 AM by Irate Researchers »

Irate Researchers

• Devart
« Reply #329 on: February 04, 2012, 07:15:35 AM »
I am currently working on obtaining artwork of the warlock in question.