Author Topic: Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising (Updated November 3, Chapter 3 COMPLETE!)  (Read 75764 times)

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
'If you always use the same tactic, go after the leader without fail, what does that make you?'

'...dead?'

'Well, I was going to say 'predictable', but in this case, predictable means 'dead', so yes, you're right.'

Bonus nerdpoints to whoever can ID where that paraphrase came from! It's not too far from the original source material :3

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
That's from Wedges post training speech in Starfighters of Adumar isn't it?

Anyway I guess now I know why you said we'll be seeing the 'W' model soon.  Now will Okuu be forced to pilot the Gundam early, or will this be a curb stomp?

And I love "mysterious figure Lilly White" already.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
I should have complimented you on this before, but my god, I just love this story. The art is great, and the shades of poli-sci in the background appeal to me quite a bit. I can't wait for more. :*

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
That's from Wedges post training speech in Starfighters of Adumar isn't it?

Somehow I'm not surprised it was you who got that.

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
Re: Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising (Updated August 30, 4 new pages for Chapter 3.)
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2010, 05:51:36 PM »
I'm loving the involvement of highly responsive to prayers and how the characters from it have been drawn. This is great stuff.

Re: Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising (Updated August 30, 4 new pages for Chapter 3.)
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »
...Lily White, the mysterious keeper of dark secrets.

This being the same Lily White who becomes the second-most-difficult Stage 4 miniboss ever by way of pure childish excitement.

And here I was thinking this couldn't get any more awesome. Silly me.

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
Re: Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising (Updated September 5, 2 new pages for Chapter 3.)
« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2010, 07:10:18 AM »
Couple more pages.  The new designs every few pages have been keeping me busy, but it seems like the story's being well-received.  Thanks for checking in, everyone.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
Re: Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising (Updated September 5, 2 new pages for Chapter 3.)
« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2010, 12:46:03 PM »
"And which do you prefer - tactics, or strategy?"

« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2010, 10:47:54 PM »
Tactics versus strategy? They're a part and an inevitable whole; you can't have one without the other.

Yaaaay, action coming up. :D And also perhaps spellcards; it'd be a good time to bring them up, I guess.

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
Re: Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising (Updated September 10, 3 new pages for Chapter 3.)
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2010, 02:17:15 AM »
3 pages added.  It was quite the workout.

Re: Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising (Updated September 10, 3 new pages for Chapter 3.)
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2010, 01:05:09 AM »
Oh crap I've seen bits of this in poolswimma before.

Welp now I know the source BV

« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2010, 01:25:35 AM »
Somehow I get the feeling Yukari's mecha is gonna be awesome.

Still a masterfully constructed story. Somehow it gets better every two or three pages.

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
Re: Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising (Updated September 20, 4 new pages for Chapter 3.)
« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2010, 10:44:37 PM »
I'd like to take a moment to explain an oddity of style change since the first Chapter.  May or may not be a retcon, not sure.

As I've gone along a number of Real-robot aspects started to have appeal to me (I think I used to lean strongly towards the Super robot aesthetic).  Things like the size of the mecha, where the weapons are stored, and their general role in a battle.  (Though several Super elements like magic are still present)

It's about the size of the mecha from Chapter 1.  In a total math failure I realized at some point that 18 meters isn't nearly as big as I thought it was-- the length of a fighter jet is actually pretty close to the height of the average Gundam.  So this is pretty much wrong-- the spiders are actually supposed to be smaller than most other mecha, which I think the recent pages reflect slightly better.  I think I actually did intend to have the Real-robot size from the beginning, just that my knowledge of real-life war machines was SORELY lacking (and probably still is).

Amusingly enough, if you just go by how the machines looked with my skewed sense of perspective, Okuu's guess way back in early Chapter 2 is actually a lot closer than Rin's guess.  (5 stories is around 18 meters)

At the end of Chapter 3 I'll probably post some stats for each machine so I can keep track of this stuff (And maybe so others can call me out when I screw up).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:46:57 PM by Graph »

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
Re: Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising (Updated September 26, 2 new pages for Chapter 3.)
« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2010, 07:39:05 AM »
Couple of new pages.  I redrew parts of page 28 because of screwing up the logistics (No!  The spider isn't supposed to be facing this way!) it's hard to think straight when it's this hot.

Those of you living in notoriously warm parts of the world, take care.  Don't forget to thank your Convenient Cirno if you've got one.

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
Re: Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising (Updated October 5, 3 new pages for Chapter 3.)
« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2010, 12:26:16 AM »
3 more pages.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2010, 12:51:54 AM »
Alas Yamame.  If only you had painted your mech red you'd have been fast enough to dodge.

Loving it as always, and I'm especially looking forward to seeing the AMs start popping up.

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2010, 01:15:20 AM »
Alas Yamame.  If only you had painted your mech red you'd have been fast enough to dodge.

Funny you should mention it, the reddest person from MoF or SA is probably Shizuha...

Hah... it's pretty tough to shake off that mild-mannered image she has!  Then again I like the weirdness of that, and it's not like we had a lot to go off of with Yamame either.  I'll consider it if I must have a Red Comet in play... though the Scarlet Comet is pretty appealing too.

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
Another 3 pages.  The next update should wrap it up for this Chapter.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
'Toriya'? Is that their battlecry?
Heh.

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
Re: Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising (Updated November 3, Chapter 3 COMPLETE!)
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2010, 08:01:01 AM »
Okay!  Chapter 3 is done, finally.  I also included profiles on some of the mechs, although they're just based on what we've seen so they might have some extra surprises in store that aren't listed.

Going to draw some ESR stuff before moving onto the next chapter.

« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2010, 09:16:51 AM »
And so the plot thickens. Flour does a good job at that.

Your mecha designs are a bit weird to me, but it's pretty cool. Also, your avatar makes me think that you need Yuugi riding in on an awesome horse or something. Or Koishi riding in on an awesome dolphin.

Speaking of Koishi, I wonder what she's doing? Money on her being the Char clone.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2010, 06:59:49 PM »
I liked Parsee's little meltdown, that was cute, in a funny way.

I especially liked the detail you put into the mech schematics, and the flavor text explaining the ace pilots' differences.

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2010, 06:15:15 AM »
I'm petitioning that the top left panel of this page becomes an emote. I love it.

http://s874.photobucket.com/albums/ab304/GraphyteR/ch3pg38.png

« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2010, 06:27:24 AM »
Personally, I prefer Parsee's expression on the top right panel and Tewi's trollxpression in the middle panel.