Author Topic: Rou's Random Shorts  (Read 181424 times)

Re: Rou's Random Shorts
« Reply #240 on: April 18, 2011, 05:53:55 AM »
I have to say you got her pretty much spot on, as far as I can tell. Great job. :3

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Rou's Random Shorts (A Polite Request To The Human Village Of Gensokyo)
« Reply #241 on: July 16, 2011, 03:37:15 PM »
Dear Residents of The Human Village Of Gensokyo,

I am writing to you in order to lodge a formal complaint. Apologies in advance if my language is stunted - I am bad at inexperienced with polite language, and I am being advised on my choice of words by my mistress.

As a proprietor of a public service for which I am not paid or commended, I understand that my opinions and thoughts are not held in particularly high regard. I learned this personally when, during one of my rounds at your village, I was asked if I would like a scratch behind the ears and a glass of milk. I accepted, but that?s not the point.

That said, there are a variety of lifestyle choices popular in the Human Village that make my job much harder than is necessary. I would be very grateful if you were to take some of my considerations into account the next time you think about chomping down on a full lamb chop.

Carrying corpses Post-expiration transport and disposal is already a strenuous occupation even before considering these complications. In the last six months, I have had to take three weeks off of duty because the heavy lifting has induced hernias. After exploring alternatives to no success (apparently you humans don?t like it when I take people into the underground one limb at a time) I have been left with no choice but to make offer a series of furious demands polite requests.

First: I would suggest a toll to be paid by the family for all instances of corpse-carrying post-expiration transport and disposal. Though I do my duty for kicks out of the goodness of my heart, with sufficient funding I could potentially purchase equipment that would make my occupation easier and safer. You expect me to pull corpses out of lakes by myself? Seriously?

Second: If possible, the corpse deceased should be brought to the edge of the Human Village for easy pickup and disposal. There has been a history of difficulty in trying to carry particularly fat generously weighted persons out of their houses when they?re wider than their goddamn doorways.

Third: Again, if possible, the dead guy deceased should be given a bath, or at least a good bit of washing before they are picked up by me a fully-qualified Post-Expiration Transporter, or PET for short. Though not necessary, this makes their departure much easier for the grieving family and means I don?t have to make the trip into the Blazing Fires wearing a nose peg and getting death glares from the oni.

Fourth, and finally: I would request that you pay further attention to your weight diets. I am not asking for you to fast or skip meals, but simply for you to stop stuffing your faces between every freaking meal count your calories more carefully. Even after death expiration, many human bodies maintain most of their weight, and it is hard to work when the deceased is obese overweight massive flabby huge gratuitously sized. There are many other benefits to this idea - maintaining control of your stomach diet will make you more athletic, more likely to help you get laid attract wholesome companions, and generally extend your life (as much as your tiny human lives can be extended, anyway).

To conclude, I would find my work much easier if you stopped being so goddamned fat larger than the cows you?re meant to be looking after wider than the radius of your average nuclear detonation so thoroughly spread ouFUCK IT SATORI-SAMA I?M SICK OF ALL THIS FANCY SHMANCY LANGUAGE

DEAR MASSIVE HUMANS

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A VEGETABLE BEFORE

IF I THREW A POTATO AT YOUR FACE WOULD YOU DIE OF SOME SORT OF ALLERGIC REACTION, OR WOULD YOU DO WHAT YOU ALWAYS DO AND SWALLOW IT WHOLE WITHOUT EVEN TASTING IT

SERIOUSLY, HAVE YOU EVER TRIED CARRYING A BLOATED CORPSE SEVERAL MILES IN A CAT CART

DOES WONDERS FOR YOUR BONES, TRUST ME, MY CHIROPRACTOR SAYS I?LL NEVER STAND STRAIGHT AGAIN

AND IT?S THANKS TO ALL YOU HUMANS AND YOUR SWEETS AND YOUR CANDY AND YOUR SECOND AND THIRD AND FOURTH HELPINGS

I?D QUIT, BUT THERE?S ONLY ONE THING YOUR SPECIES IS ANY GOOD AT AND THAT?S DYING

WHERE ELSE AM I GOING TO FIND FUEL FOR THE FIRES OF HELL? EVERYTHING ELSE KEEPS COMING BACK TO LIFE, GODDAMMIT

SO HERE IS MY GODDAMN ULTIMATUM

IF YOU DIE, AND YOU ARE SO GODDAMN FAT I CAN?T CARRY YOU IN MY CART, I AM LEAVING YOU TO ROT

I?LL GIVE YOU THREE DAYS UNTIL THE LOCAL YOUKAI MAKE OFF WITH YOU AND STRIP THE MEAT FROM YOUR BONES

THAT?LL BE A NICE IMAGE FOR THE KIDS, WON?T IT

MIGHT BE A GOOD INCENTIVE TO PICK UP JOGGING OR TURN DOWN THAT THIRD SLAB OF STEAK, DON?T YOU AGREE

HOPEFULLY THAT GETS THE MESSAGE ACROSS BETTER THAN ANY OF THIS POLITICALLY CORRECT BULLSHIT EVER DID

Thank you for taking my ideas into consideration. I apologise for the inconvenience.

Yours sincerely,
Rin Kaenbyou
Post-Expiration Transporter
Earth Spirit Palace
Former Hell

-----

I wanted a break from all the dramatics that were flaring up in everything else I've been writing, before you ask. -_-

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #242 on: July 16, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAA

OOOOOOHH GAAAAAAAAAWD AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAHAAHAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAA

Metaflare

• Happening Cat of the Middle of Nowhere
  • Welp is not a good nickname
« Reply #243 on: July 16, 2011, 05:28:22 PM »
Pffahaha

Oh, Rin, you silly kitty  :3

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #244 on: July 16, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »
Okay, that was good.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2011, 07:18:43 PM »
Rin is now even more awesome.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #246 on: July 16, 2011, 07:25:34 PM »
XD Ohmygodyes.

De La Witch

• She is, the most interesting witch in the world.
  • "Keep borrowing my friends."
« Reply #247 on: July 16, 2011, 08:36:51 PM »
Would you like some cheese with that whine Ms. Kaenbyou?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:46:13 PM by The Big Testarossa »

« Reply #248 on: July 16, 2011, 08:53:19 PM »
Would you like some cheese with that wine Ms. Kaenbyou?
Nah, she just ate
Spoiler:
Nazrin

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Rou's Random Shorts (The Trump Card)
« Reply #249 on: August 21, 2011, 11:07:18 PM »
Welp. I didn't get to be first to write a full-blown 10D story, but I still like this.

WARNING! SPOILERS FOR TH13 - TEN DESIRES AHEAD!

-----

?...And with that repayment scheme, you should be able to pay off the loan within a few months.?

Mamizou leaned backwards in her chair, hands behind her head with a smirk running across her face. She?d worked with these numbers for longer than she cared to remember, and she?d learned every intricacy of her art. The elderly man across the table slowly worked up a smile.

?Oh, that?s wonderful news. I was afraid paying for the funeral would be too much, but...? His eyes grew watery, and he rubbed at one in order to save face. ?I didn?t realise you would ask for so little in return.?

?As long as I?m turning a profit, I?m happy.? Mamizou leaned forward again, placing her hand over the man?s palm, pressing down lightly. ?And besides, your wife was one of my mother?s best friends. I?d never be able to live with myself if I robbed her husband for loving her so much.?

The man nodded, his hand curling up beneath Mamizou?s. He looked her in the eyes, past the frames of her glasses, and smiled again.

?You have your mother?s eyes, child. And her kindness, as well.?

?Thanks. I?m sure she?d have loved to hear that,? Mamizou replied, her voice trembling slightly. She gripped her client?s hand for a moment, only letting go when he rose from his seat. He bowed towards her once in thanks, then made his way out of the building.

Mamizou sighed.

?This charade has become somewhat ridiculous.?

She could go back to the old dialect now, the speech she?d always felt more familiar with. She?d never liked how the language had changed over the years - the new dialects kids spoke with nowadays felt impure, basic in comparison to the old tongue. She?d get awkward stares from the people of Sado if she spoke like this in public, though - young women weren?t supposed to speak like grandmothers.

She stood up, pressing out the creases in her dress with her hands. How many years had she spent in this office? How many times had she repainted the walls, replaced the furniture, added in the latest high-tech gadget that all the kids were squealing over? There was nothing left of the old shack she?d built all those years ago, with the name FUTATSUIWA FINANCES written lovingly in bright red paint. Now it was all about professional sign makers and internet presence.

Her eyes fell on the computer at her desk. She despised the thing - it was invaluable, but it felt so mechanical, so predictable, so dead. That was how the whole world felt nowadays, when she thought about it. Science marched on, and all the world?s little mysteries were being solved one by one.

Where did that leave her? Wherever it was, she was liking it less and less with every passing day. This life was becoming difficult to maintain, what with the rise of photography and digital images. Eventually someone would catch on to her secret, and-

?Ah??

The chimes at her front door pulled Mamizou out of her thoughts. A customer? Back to playing the youth, then. She was skipping to the entrance before the man had even opened the door.

?Morning! Welcome to Futatsuiwa Finances, running in the family for 300 years! How can I help you to-?

No. Something was wrong about this customer. At first, Mamizou couldn?t put the feeling into words - nothing about the customer seemed out of the ordinary. He was getting on in his age, but then again the elderly were the largest age group in Sado by far. He dressed well but not sharply, in a suit that had seen better days, and he was fiddling around with a series of financial papers covered in threatening red ink. She had seen a million customers like this over the years.

That was when the realisation struck her. This customer was too ordinary, too generic, too run-of-the-mill. There were no quirks, no unusual traits, absolutely nothing that Mamizou wasn?t expecting. She was seeing exactly what she expected to see.

Which meant...no, it couldn?t be. That had been so long ago, and there was no reason for her to visit now. Even so, she couldn?t help but pull her head around, looking behind the man for that telltale sign. For a moment she even considered asking him to take his suit off, but she found what she was looking for before she had to resort to that measure.

A black snake was coiled around the back of his neck. At first glance, it looked like a tattoo, but Mamizou caught its tail slithering left and right. That confirmed her suspicions right away.

?...Nue?? The name came off of Mamizou?s mouth with difficulty, like it had grown rusty from decades without use. The man flinched for a moment in response to her call, then smiled. The voice that came from his mouth did not belong to a man.

?Damn. All these years, and I still can?t fool you.?

The snake vanished, and moments later the illusion of an elderly man faded away. Standing in its place was a young woman in a short black dress, with a set of miscoloured wing-like appendages popping out of her back. She was still smiling, but it was a smile with a hint of disappointment behind it.

Mamizou needed a moment to respond. She?d grown so used to this new life that it felt almost alien to have a youkai right in her face. Eventually she found her voice, dropping the act once again.

??Tis a futile gesture to trick a trickster, Nue. And there?s no harm in offering a simple ?hello?.?

Mamizou locked the door behind her old companion, then made her way around the room to make sure every window was closed and blinded. Nue helped herself to the seat opposite the desk, unable to sit back properly thanks to her wings.

?When I found out you were working in finance of all things, I had to pick my jaw off the floor,? Nue said with a chuckle. ?Whatever happened to the mightiest tanuki in Sado? Remember that time you scared those kids senseless by bringing the cave paintings to life??

Mamizou frowned. She remembered them all too well, the olden days when she?d frighten and help the humans of Sado in equal measure. Now her prankster days were nothing but a memory, never to be repeated again.

?If only it were still so simple, Nue. Surely you know how the world has changed over the years? I fear we live in an age of skeptics. When it became clear none would fall for my tricks, I decided to simply merge in. You youths have a saying about it - ?If you can?t beat them, join them?, if I recall correctly.?

She closed the last window, making sure that no-one could see inside. Only the dim bulb above Nue?s head lit the room now. It was time to drop this disguise.

For a moment, she almost forgot how to return to her original form. She?d acted as a human for so long that sometimes she fell for her own story. Yet as she tapped into that inner reservoir of magic, that hidden potential she?d left untouched for so long, she felt the memories rushing back.

A pair of ears popped out from the top of Mamizou?s head, brown to match the colour of her hair. A long striped tail slid out from behind her, and she gave it a wriggle like she was brushing off dust. It was refreshing to be able to take on this form again, and she took a moment to appreciate herself in the mirror.

?Every generation makes it more difficult to maintain this disguise. Pray, have you any idea how difficult it is to claim to be your own daughter? It requires more effort and magic than any of the illusions I performed in my youth.? She grabbed at a nearby coat hanger. ?When you talk to your mother knowing full well she is an inanimate object, you begin to realise how low you have fallen.?

Nue?s expression didn?t change much. In fact, she seemed outright surprised by Mamizou?s plight. Mamizou was about to ask how Nue was so unaware of this when the youkai answered the question for her.

?Sorry, didn?t really notice. I was sorta napping for a century or three, and when I woke up I was in that new-fangled Gensokyo place.?

Mamizou?s ears twitched. She had heard vague whispers about Gensokyo, but news never made it to Sado without a few lies thrown in. Her curiosity piqued, she sat down at the desk and leaned forward.

?Gensokyo? Yakumo?s last stronghold of youkai and magic, correct??

?Something like that,? Nue replied with a shrug of the shoulders. ?Hard as hell to get in or out - I had to disguise myself as a 5000-yen bill on top of a donation box and wait until someone on the outside world stole me. Real pretty place, though, and it?s pretty much nothing but youkai.?

Mamizou nodded along as Nue spoke, something warm rising up in her heart. She felt herself falling back into the good old days again, the days when youkai could roam freely and do as they wished. The thought of a nation where the old ways still held true was enticing, but she would have to leave those thoughts for later. For now, she had a guest to entertain.

?So, if this Gensokyo is so idyllic,? she said, pouring Nue a glass of sake from the bottle on her desk, ?what reason could you have to leave? Are you, perchance, looking to talk this veteran into an early retirement??

Nue didn?t reply right away, staring downwards into the glass of sake. That was Mamizou?s clue that this wasn?t just a casual reunion. She poured herself a glass, thinking she was going to need it very soon.

?Actually...? Nue started, biting her lip, ?I wanted to ask for your help.?

Mamizou smirked. ?Ah, so Gensokyo still functions under a human economy? Fear not, for my rates are quite genial, especially for a close friend like yourself-?

?We need you to take care of Toyosatomimi.?

Nue blurted out her request at once, cutting Mamizou short. The tanuki blinked once, took a deep breath, then calmly placed her glasses on the desk.

Then she took the most pressing action necessary, and downed her glass of sake in a single gulp.

?I hope you haven?t come all this way for a simple jest,? she said as she placed the glass down again. ?Miko Toyosatomimi is dead, and she has been for centuries. Don?t tell me you have fallen for another prankster, Nue.?

?Spirits were coming from the netherworld, the heavens, everywhere to see her come back,? Nue said, her voice deadly serious. ?It?s her, for sure.?

Mamizou frowned. She poured herself another drink. Nue had yet to touch hers.

?So perhaps Gensokyo has been visited by a saint. What harm does that cause you? Would Buddhists not see youkai as allies rather than enemies??

Nue shook her head violently. ?She?s not a Buddhist, Mamizou. She never was. All of it - the Mononobe, the Soga, the whole damn crusade - she set all of that up for power. She?s embraced the Tao, and she?s so powerful that every youkai in Gensokyo?s terrified of her.?

?Even yourself?? Mamizou sipped at her second shot. She could be a heavy drinker when the time called for it, and this sounded like the sort of situation she?d want to take on with a little Dutch courage.

?I?ve been holing up with the Buddhist monk that?d been trying to seal her,? Nue answered, giving her glass a shake and watching the ripples intently. ?Miko hates Buddhists, and the Buddhists love the youkai. Put two and two together, and every youkai in Gensokyo?s got a reason to sleep with one eye open tonight.?

Mamizou sped up her drinking, chugging her glass. It tasted bitter on her tongue, like most cheap sake did. She didn?t like where this conversation was headed.

?So what do you expect me to do? I?m a memento of a bygone era, not some prodigal magician. My glory days are long since behind me, and even then challenging a saint would have been a challenge.?

Nue?s face fell, her expression growing desperate. She pushed forward, spilling sake onto the desk.

?But your name still means something to the youkai. You?ve got influence, respect. You can lead them, and you might be able to convince Miko not to press an attack.?

Her hand closed over Mamizou?s, unnaturally warm. It squeezed tight, and for a moment Mamizou swore she saw tears in Nue?s eyes.

?Please, Mamizou. I owe these monks a favour. I can?t go back empty handed and watch Miko slaughter them all. I need you right now...?

Mamizou couldn?t help but feel her heart shudder at the sight of an old friend trembling in fear. She was asking for too much, Mamizou told herself. Why would a saint bow down to a washed up tanuki, of all people? This plan was going to fail, for sure.

And yet...she sort of wanted to go along with it.

Maybe it was the alcohol getting to her head. Maybe she was too old and just looking for a brave way to die. Or maybe, just maybe, she was realising how ridiculous this new life of hers was, and how much she wanted to go back to the old ways. Maybe this would go wrong, and maybe it would get her killed if Miko really was as aggressive as Nue claimed she was.

But she would rather die a youkai than live a human.

Mamizou hung her head in contemplation for over a minute. For every second she thought without an answer, Nue?s grip on her hand grew tighter until Mamizou felt her circulation cutting off. At last, the tanuki looked back up with a slightly tipsy grin.

?You are a cruel girl, playing with an old woman?s heart like that. I can?t be expected to listen to sense in the presence of such a pretty face.?

Nue?s face shifted to surprise, then to elation. ?You mean...you mean you?ll...? She looked down, realising the damage she was doing to Mamizou?s hand. She snapped back, her voice shuddering out of nerves rather than fear now. ?Oh, sorry. Got a little carried away, is all.?

?No need to apologise,? Mamizou said as she stood up. She shook her hand. It still worked. Good enough. She stretched, walking into a nearby closet. ?I will have to make some preparations before we depart. I have debtors whose loans I will need to clear. I doubt credit cards serve as legal tender in Gensokyo, so my money will be useless anyway.?

?Huh?? Nue tilted her head, seeing Mamizou?s tail popping out of the doorway. ?You aren?t gonna come back to Sado after you?re done??

The tanuki continued her rummaging through the closet, picking out various belongings. Some of her old vintage sake bottles - no way was she going to leave those behind - and a book of promissory notes in case there was any business to be had in Gensokyo.

?My sincerest apologies,? she yelled out into the main room. ?I thought for a moment you would have appreciated my company.?

Nue allowed herself a little chuckle beneath her breath. ?The temple already has a mouse, a tiger, and they just took in one of those mountain youkai the other day. I figure we have room to keep one more pet.?

Mamizou grinned. She couldn?t remember the last time a conversation had made her feel so happy. She felt genuine again, like she was really herself rather than living the lie she?d held to for 300 years. She kept burrowing through her old belongings, looking for a few mementos to hold on to.

?Out of interest, Nue, how did you come to Sado? I would hope you didn?t opt for your typical ?mysterious flying object? routine.?

She wasn?t able to see Nue?s reaction, but the tiny ?eep? that came from outside the closet was proof enough that she?d hit the nail on the head.

?Perhaps you should try something more subtle for your return journey?? Mamizou said, with the tone of a disappointed mother. ?An eagle, mayhaps, or a porpoise.?

That brought about a loud moan from Nue. ?But those forms are so booooring...?

?Yet they are practical. Do you know the extent of technology outside of the border? No doubt there will be dozens of videos of you scouring the internet right now.?

Picking the last of her belongings out of the closet, Mamizou saw Nue slumped in her chair with a bright red face. The girl was ambitious, Mamizou thought to herself, but she had never learned restraint. That was why she?d taken so many beatings over the years, and why Mamizou had needed to nurse her back to health so many times.

The tanuki shifted back into her human form, her ears and tail fading away like they?d never existed. She hastily wrote up a note saying that she was tired of Sado and wanted to try life on the mainland, and that all debts were to be considered repaid and cleared. She travelled light, taking only one bag of belongings with her - and almost all of that was sake for the journey.

The snake on Nue?s neck had reformed, so now the rest of Sado would see her as whatever they expected -  most likely, an elderly man who Mamizou was discussing business with. Now that Mamizou knew what she was looking for, though, the illusion had lost its effect. Neither of them really minded.

?Well, then,? she said, holding one hand out for Nue and unlocking the door with the other. ?Shall we pretend to be young again??

?Hey,? Nue replied as she shoved the door open with her free hand. ?Who said anything about pretending??

-----

I really like Mamizou as a concept for a character. Favourite 10D character by far, though I've been trying to think of a way to play with Miko...

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #250 on: August 21, 2011, 11:29:48 PM »
Age is just a number, anyways, Nue! You tell her!

« Reply #251 on: August 21, 2011, 11:45:43 PM »
This is a pretty awesome backstory-dealy. :3

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Rou's Random Shorts (An Unwanted Gift)
« Reply #252 on: October 27, 2011, 09:51:07 PM »
Welp. The image got stuck in my head, and I had to write it. Just another day at the office, really.

[This is not really connected to TEiPW canon. It's been a while since I wrote Satori, and my image of her has probably changed a lot since then anyway.]

-----

Obligation was something Satori hadn?t worked her head around quite yet.

She wasn?t used to visitors, let alone friends. The demons of the underground still feared her, giving the palace as wide a berth as they could manage. She was fine with that - she thought the oni were a brutish race anyway, and she was more than willing to let them keep their distance. She never even bothered to lock the front door on the basis that no-one ever tried to break in anyway.

So when the kappa girl had kicked the door open without a care in the world, Satori hadn?t really been sure how to react.

??Ey! You?re that satori girl, right??

The uninvited guest stepped in without waiting for an answer, two large boxes held under her arms. Satori?s first instinct was to read her thoughts, looking for any sign of aggression, but all she found was a cheerful curiosity. The kappa looked her up and down, stopping in particular to look at Satori?s third eye. She carefully put the boxes on the floor, one hand already fidgeting. Satori caught the idea forming in the girl?s head before she could act on it.

?Please don?t touch it,? she said, stepping backwards. ?It?s rather sensitive.?

The kappa?s eyes widened, and she offered a small bow in apology. The hat almost fell off her head as she leaned down, and only quick reflexes stopped it from coming off entirely.

?Agh, I keep forgetting about that!? she muttered to herself. ?Manners can be a matter of life and death sometimes...? Satori pondered her meaning for a moment, but as usual the answer came to her through the stream of consciousness the girl was giving off.

Why do we need the water bowls, anyway? What if I just put a lid on mine under the hat? Then I wouldn?t have to worry about the water spilling, even if I?m upside-down!

Satori nodded along, as if the girl was talking to her in person. Years of holding conversations with her pets had left her struggling to tell where conversation started and thought ended.

?Surely someone has attempted that before??

?Probably, but I just need to do it better. I figure I can-? It took the kappa a moment to realise she hadn?t put all of her thoughts into words. She gave Satori a small round of applause, putting on a wry grin. ?You really are as good as they say, aren?t you??

Satori shrugged. ?It hardly requires any talent. It?s just who I am.? She took another look inside the girl?s head, intent on ending this conversation as soon as possible. She found most youkai to be poor conversation partners. ?So I?m to understand you bear a gift as thanks for letting you observe Utsuho for a while??

?Oh?? The kappa looked down at the boxes on the floor again, her mind jumping back to life. ?Oh, yeah! Yeah, this is sort of a thank you for letting us study your nuclear reactor.?

?She has a name,? Satori growled.

?Yeah, but she?s also got a control rod for an arm. One of these things means more to me than the other.?

That did nothing to impress Satori, and she continued with her disapproving glare at the kappa. Perhaps she would dig a little deeper into the girl?s head, find some material that would make her cringe as payback. She hit an old childhood memory, and cruel satisfaction flooded her mind.

?So, am I to understand you tried to invent a machine to stop you from wetting the bed??

The kappa just about leapt out of her dress.

?Wha?! How did you-? She made the conclusion herself before she finished the sentence. She started stepping backwards towards the door, lacking all of the bravado she?d shown on the way in. Maybe she felt weaker when she didn?t have her mechanical gizmos right beside her.

?OK, OK, I?m leaving! Just don?t tell anyone about that, okay?!?

The kappa was polite enough to close the door behind her on the way out. Satori heard her squealing as she ran for the tunnel back to the surface. These incidents really were not helping with her public image, Satori thought to herself.

The thought passed quickly. Animals wouldn?t judge her based on hearsay, and frankly she didn?t care much about any other creature Gensokyo had to offer.

The boxes lay on the floor, both wrapped in elegant bow ties. This was probably a formal offering from some higher authority in the kappa race as thanks for her co-operation. Satori was only just curious enough to open the box, undoing the ribbon carefully. It was just as well Rin wasn?t nearby, or she?d have torn these packages apart the moment she saw them.

One box was heavier than the other, she quickly discovered. She decided to leave that one until later, opting for the lighter box first. There was a single piece of clothing inside, and as she touched it she felt the unnatural clinginess of something artificial. It wasn?t cotton, or silk, or any sort of material she?d even seen clothes made from. It felt cold to the touch.

She pulled the outfit out of the box in full. It was meant to cover her entire body, offering only holes for her hands, feet and head. A zip at the back brought the whole thing apart so that she could step into it, but the suit looked too tight for her to wear while she was still clothed. It seemed to have been made to her size exactly. Well, at least that explained why Rin had been worrying about ?giving her details to the kappa? earlier. She didn?t understand why her pets still tried to keep secrets from her even when they knew she could read their minds.

Her curiosity definitely aroused now, Satori opened the second box to find an assortment of items that had little meaning to her. Two plastic shoes that looked like ducks? feet, something made of rubber that was meant to go over her eyes, a curved tube with a mouthpiece at the end, and a metal cylinder that weighed more than all the rest of it put together. Another tube ran out from the tank, ending in another large mouthpiece. She tested it, biting around the grips made for her teeth and blowing into the device. Nothing much seemed to happen. She tried inhaling instead. There was air inside, but it had a strange aftertaste that made it seem about as natural as the rest of this mechanical nonsense.

As she spat the device out, she lifted up the tank. It was incredibly heavy given that it apparently contained nothing but air, to the point where Satori struggled to lift it. She found a small pamphlet underneath the cylinder, written in floral handwriting that confirmed her suspicions of this being a formal gift.

Dear Satori Komeiji,
Many thanks once again for your co-operation in our continuing scientific efforts to determine the source of the Moriya Shrine?s nuclear power.

Again, no mention of Utsuho by name. These kappa were starting to get on her nerves. Never mind their habit of using a dozen words where one would suffice.

We present to you as a humble offering this little piece of kappa technology. Recently refined and perfected by some of our most accomplished inventors, it is designed to allow any youkai to experience the underwater world of the kappa.

From what she?d heard of the kappa, ?refined and perfected? meant ?blatantly stolen from beyond the border?. Next came a 5-page explanation on how to actually use all of this equipment, written in condescending language that a child could understand. She would have appreciated it if the refusal to call Utsuho by name hadn?t made it clear the kappa didn?t care in the slightest. This was a gift being offered to her out of obligation, not out of gratitude.

She?d been tempted to grab both boxes and throw them into the blazing fires, along with all the corpses Rin had been collecting. To hell with gratitude. The whole thing was a barely veiled insult to her intelligence, and she had half a mind to stop the kappa from stepping into the underground ever again.

But three days later the boxes were still sitting by the main entrance, their contents untouched. Rin had made off with the ribbons long ago, but after a failed attempt to bite into the tank she?d left the rest of the ?gift? alone.

It was this damned obligation that was holding her back, Satori thought to herself. She felt like she was supposed to use the gift, at least once. Even if the whole thing was just the kappas? way of mocking her.

Eventually, she came to a compromise. She?d go for a dive like they wanted her to, then write them a jarringly polite letter noting every complaint she had about the device. That would even the odds slightly.

?Rin, I?m going out for a while.?

Satori lifted the boxes with a heave, carrying them under both arms like the kappa had done bringing them here. She heard the pattering of tiny feet behind her as a cat ran between her legs. She blinked, and as quickly as that Rin Kaenbyou was lying beneath her in her humanoid form. Her face was twisted in a look of shock.

?Master, am I hearing things? You?re going out??

Satori nodded, trying to save face. The last thing she needed was for her pets to know she was giving in to this outside pressure.

?It?s something personal, Rin. I?d rather not talk about it.?

She stepped over Rin, keeping her expression blank, but as she reached the door she became painfully aware that these boxes were heavier than she?d thought. She dropped them, looking back for a moment, before finally sighing in defeat.

?Actually, you had better come with me. I need to find a lake...?

-----

At first Satori wasn?t sure if getting out of the underground would be trivial. She had garnered quite the reputation among the oni, and there were probably plenty of unruly youkai who wanted to claim her scalp. She decided against stepping through the old hell?s side alleys - they meant she was less likely to be noticed, but they also meant that if she was unlucky enough to be jumped there wouldn?t be any way out.

Her steps were quiet as she passed through the main streets, the box blocking most of her vision. She was basically following Rin?s lead, looking down at her feet and matching her step. The kasha was dealing with the weight much more gracefully than Satori had, and though she never said a word Satori could hear the pride in her thoughts as clear as day.

Soon enough they were in the Drunkards? District, named for the array of bars that ran across it. Alcohol was the only business in the old hell that turned a profit, and it was rare to see these streets so much as half-full. Regrettably, today was no exception, and Satori had to follow behind as Rin shoved past the demons blocking their way.

?Heads up, guys. Evil mind-reader comin? through.?

Satori cringed. The box had been blocking her face until now, and for a while she?d almost thought she would get away unseen. Now that Rin had mentioned her some of the oni were turning in her direction. Satori pressed her face against the box, hoping that they?d either not recognise her or not care.

?Shit! It?s Komeiji, guys!?

Oh, who was she kidding? This always happened when she tried to leave the palace.

The thoughts of the oni came together as a mass of ideas in her head. She?d spent so long around them that she?d learned to ignore them for the most part. They became the static noise that she had to listen to every time she ventured outside.

Static noise that was quickly shifting to terror.

?Shit, shit, shit! I?m not letting her hear a thing about me!?

?Aw, man, if she tells my wife that I- no, can?t think about the chick I met last night! Can?t think about her!?

?She can?t know about the stash I stole from that asshole across the street! He doesn?t even know I?m the one who took it! It?s the perfect crime, goddammit!?

The crowd split into two, a pathway opening up for Satori and her pet. She hung her head low as she travelled through, the news passing across the sea of oni within minutes. The Drunkard?s District took up almost half the city block, so she got to spend more than enough time hearing the frenzied thoughts of the frightened masses.

It was a relief to her senses when they stepped into the tunnel towards the surface, and the voices in her head finally fell silent. She stopped for a moment on the wooden bridge that linked the surface to the underground, placing the box at her feet and leaning on the railing.

?Rin, was that really necessary??

?Nope,? the kasha answered as she twirled around, ?but damn, was it fun to watch. Didn?t you look? All those big manly men squirming in terror because of one girl!?

Satori frowned. ?Someday, one of those oni might find the nerve to bring a club to my head so his secrets stay hidden. Do you really think it?s a good idea to give them more chances, Rin??

Rin?s tails wrapped around each other as her ears drooped. For a moment, it looked as if she was going to leap off the bridge into the river out of shame.

Wait. The river?

Satori was struck by the idea. She looked down into the stream beneath her, its pale green waters lapping off into the distance. It was surprisingly clear, and much deeper than she?d originally assumed.

?Rin. Where does this river lead, exactly??

Even before Rin had started on her answer, Satori was already opening the box she?d been carrying. She pulled out the rubbery outfit the kappa had given her as a gift. Apparently, they called it a wetsuit - which seemed quite paradoxical, given that it was meant to keep its owner dry.

?Eh? Well, uh, can?t say I know...think it ended in some sorta underground reservoir or something. No-one?s ever really looked.?

An unexplored area of the underground? Now she was getting interested. She looked up out of the tunnel, towards the surface. It was still a long trek before they would step out into the sunlight. Why bother if she had her testing ground right here?

?Rin, get the gear ready for me,? Satori said as she walked into a distant corner of the cavern, away from prying eyes. ?There?s a manual that should explain everything you need to know.?

Rin tilted her head as Satori walked away from her. This was the first time she?d seen the contents of the box since that one attempt she?d made to eat them, and their purpose was something she?d never cared about. She would figure it out - it would be hard not to when the kappa had laid out the instructions to the letter.

When she found a corner so dark that she could barely see her own hand in front of her face, Satori was content that she wouldn?t be seen. She undressed hastily, leaving her clothes in a neat pile at her side. Unzipping the back of the wetsuit, she stepped into it, feeling the rubbery material cling to her skin. The hardest challenge was finding a way to put it on over her third eye, but eventually she managed to slip it and its tendrils out from within. There was no space for them under the wetsuit, and the water wouldn?t irritate her third eye anyway.

She couldn?t do the zip back up from here, though. She walked back to the bridge, holding her clothes under one arm and laying them on the bridge next to Orin. The cat was currently fiddling with the tank, turning various knobs to set the pressure properly. Satori watched her movements, just to make sure she was keeping to the instructions. Everything seemed in order as the kasha stood up, brushing her hands together.

?Rin. Get that zip for me, would you?? Satori asked, pointing to her back as she sat down. She pulled on the fins as Rin tended to the wetsuit. Satori caught a glint of worry running through the kasha?s thoughts, frowning. ?If you?re concerned, you should at least tell me.?

?I know, I know,? Rin moaned. ?But do you even know what you?re doing? What if these diving thingies don?t work? What if you get trapped down there??

?I am the master of the Palace of the Earth Spirits. If there?s one thing I won?t accept, it?s not knowing about the underground I live in.? Satori spoke with total conviction as she brought the mask over her eyes. ?That, and I?m not willing to owe a favour to those damned kappa if I don?t have to.?

Rin?s concern never faded, but a feeling of understanding took precedence in her mind. She understood that this was something Satori was going to do, one way or another, and she at least had the grace not to get in her master?s way. She was a good pet, Satori thought to herself as she strapped the tank on. It was as heavy as she remembered, and she gave up on standing with it, sitting on the bridge instead.

?Tell me, Rin. How do I look??

The kasha?s eyes fell on her master, looking her up and down nervously. The words didn?t come to her mouth, but Satori caught the thoughts easily enough.

?I look like an idiot, you say? Excellent. Remind me to bring that up when I write my formal complaint to the kappa.?

She slipped under the railing of the bridge, sitting on the edge overlooking the river. The drop was less than a foot, so small that Satori?s feet were dipping into the water. She bit down on the mouthpiece, taking a few test breaths. Still had the same clinical aftertaste. That meant it was probably working.

She took a deep breath, and pushed herself off of the bridge.

As she splashed down into the river Satori was amazed by how clear the water was. The mask was doing its job, and as she made a few practice kicks she found the fins were giving her a good bit of power as well. There was no stinging cold from the water thanks to the wetsuit. That left only the tank, and as Satori took another breath from it she almost hoped that it wouldn?t work.

It did.

Dammit. How am I supposed to complain if nothing is broken?

She surfaced quickly, giving Rin a quick thumbs-up so it was clear she was fine. Rin offered her a little smile back in return, smirking.

?Don?t have too much fun, now.?

Satori would have offered a rebuttal if she didn?t have a mouthpiece stuck in her mouth. She slithered back under the water, letting the current guide her down through the river. Now that she?d gone so far as to actually dive in, there was no reason not to go all the way.

She?d find something to complain about. She just had to look carefully...

-----

The small lanterns hanging over the bridge weren?t much use to Satori as she swam further in. The space around her grew tighter, and the air pocket above her came to an end. Now she was totally dependent on the tank to stay alive, but she comforted herself with the knowledge that if she happened to die the kappa would never hear the end of it.

Her eyes grew used to the lack of light after a few minutes. In the underground, a light source was usually a luxury, and most youkai had learned to work without it. It was an inherent magic, but in the satori it had never been particularly strong. Satori could see far ahead enough that she wasn?t swimming into walls, but she couldn?t do much more than that.

The tunnels twisted and turned in unnatural ways, as if they had a life of their own. There were small side paths, but nothing that really pulled her away from the main passageway. She ran a hand along the wall, long since run smooth by the water?s flow. Even now the current was helping her along, leading her to wherever the water happened to be pooling.

Satori felt almost numb as she swam further in. Not from the cold - the wetsuit was still protecting her from that. More than anything she wasn?t used to the silence. There wasn?t a single living creature nearby for her third eye to pick up. The only sound she could make out was her own breath, and the gurgles as her bubbles slipped away from her.

It was a welcome change, especially after the barrage of oni she?d had to walk through earlier. Her third eye had closed slightly in relief, as if it had finally been given a chance to sleep. She lazed along in the water, letting the current do most of the work.

She noticed that at some point the tunnel had bent downwards, leading her deeper underground. Now she really had no idea where she was going - this was taking her well beneath the underground, and given that the water was still cold on her face she couldn?t be anywhere near the blazing fires. So where did that leave?

Curiosity drove her on as she drifted further into the tunnel. She?d found books in the palace, left by their former owners, explaining the layout of hell in its entirety. It was made of nine circles, it said, each to house a different sin. None of these circles had been seen since, though - when the site of hell had changed, almost all of the architecture had been magically moved along with it. Only the remnants of the blazing fires remained, and they had only been reignited in recent years thanks to Utsuho.

But the stories had also mentioned rivers running through the former hell. Was this one of them, perhaps? She had no way of knowing for sure unless she followed this path to the end. She continued onwards, looking for any sign that something was unusual about this cavern.

She found one soon afterward, as the walls around her became much less natural. Jagged crystals poked out of them, each giving off its own eerie light. A chill, stronger than that of the water, began to run across her body. Without the wetsuit she would have frozen to death for sure. She folded her arms, keeping her bare hands safe from the cold, letting the current carry her around.

At last the tunnel turned upward, and Satori swam up to follow it. She?d emerged in the basin of a lake, its water impossibly pure and unspeakably cold. The surface was covered in ice, save for a small hole in its centre. Satori felt the water?s grip tightening on her, and the chance to step out of it was one she couldn?t refuse.

?Haaah...?

She spat out the mouthpiece as she surfaced, pulling herself onto the ice. She?d been swimming for a good twenty minutes, and she wasn?t used to physical exertion. She fell backwards onto the frozen surface of the lake, the ice easily supporting her weight.

What she saw above her forced her to look twice to make sure she wasn?t seeing things.

?Are those...stars...??

Satori pulled off the mask, blinking once, twice, three times. Her eyes needed a moment to grow accustomed to the bright lights, and the shimmering glints above her made her think she?d made her way to the surface. But that was impossible - she?d been diving deeper, not rising higher. As her vision came into focus, she found that it wasn?t starlight after all - the entire ceiling was made of brilliant crystals, like the ones that had been growing in the tunnel.

Along the walls, she saw human shapes carved into the stone, arms reaching out as if for mercy. Names were written alongside each marking to name its former resident, but they had all been moved along with the rest of the old hell. The names were written in a language Satori neither knew nor cared for.

Satori began to walk across the lake?s surface, struggling with both the weight of the tank and the cumbersome fins on her feet. The crystal ran across the whole ceiling, and the shapes in the walls all pointed towards the centre. It was only looking back from the surface that she could see that the hole she?d emerged from was itself shaped like a torso, as if someone had been encased within it beforehand.

That fact brought the realisation to her.

?This is...the ninth circle??

The books had mentioned it. She?d made her way through the river of lamentation, and emerged in the frozen lake that held the greatest traitors of humanity. Somehow she had managed to find her way to the ninth circle of hell - or at least, where it had been once. Any sign of the ruler of the old hell and his prisoners was long since gone, but the brilliant ice had been left behind. It was colder than cold, and even above the surface Satori had to hug herself to stay warm.

It was worth it, though, for the crystals. They were ice, Satori assumed, but magically enchanted ice that would never melt. As an unintended side effect, the light danced across them beautifully, a dozen rainbows running across the ceiling at once. Perhaps it was an ironic punishment, and the prisoners were never allowed to witness the wonder that hung right above their heads.

She wasn?t sure how long she sat there, staring upwards into the shimmering lights. She forgot herself, entranced by the beauty and the silence of the place. She was alone and content, all of her wants and needs forgotten.

The rumbling of her stomach brought her back to the reality of the matter.

?...That?s right. I can?t stay here, can I??

It must have been at least half an hour by now, maybe longer. Rin would be worried sick if she didn?t come back soon. Satori braced herself for the oncoming cold as she stepped back into the water. The return journey would be harder now that she was fighting the current, but she had more than enough air left in the tank to make it back to the bridge.

She offered the ceiling one last look before she dove under the water. The lights seemed to fall from above, like the room itself was crying at her departure.

Not to worry, Satori told herself. She?d be back. Even if she had to dress like a moron to do it.

-----

?Nyaaah...?

Rin paced up and down the bridge, her tails swishing left and right. She?d had no way to keep track of time, and every second felt like it lasted an age. Disaster scenarios played out in her head on endless repeat, and she had half a mind to dive in after her in case her master needed rescuing. How hard could it be to stop breathing for half an hour, after all?

?If anything has happened to Master Satori, I?m gonna tear that kappa a new one, I swear! I?ll...I?ll...?

Rin?s vow of revenge was cut off when she saw bubbles popping up from the water. Her heart rose as her master?s form came into view, and as she popped out from the water Rin had to resist the urge to jump off the bridge and hug her right then.

?Sorry for taking so long,? Satori said as she spat out the mouthpiece, hauling herself onto shore. ?I got a little distracted down there.?

Rin was at her side in a moment, offering her master a towel. She?d run down to the palace and picked it up while Satori was diving, figuring her master would need it when she surfaced. Satori accepted it gratefully, drying her hair as she threw her mask to the side.

?So, are we gonna file that complaint tonight?? Rin said with a hint of anticipation. ?I know a lotta words that sound innocent but are really really offensive to the kappa. Y?know, words like-?

?I?m not going to complain.?

Rin?s arms rose to her sides. ?Wha? But you said that we were gonna-?

?It was worth it, in the end,? Satori interrupted with a smile. ?Maybe you?ll get to see it some day.? She pulled the rest of the gear off, leaving on only the wetsuit, and dumped the lot in the box they?d came from. She threw her clothes into the box the wetsuit had come in, and started hauling it back down the tunnel. ?Now we?d better be getting back. I feel like making myself something fiery for dinner tonight.?

Rin could only look on stupefied as her master strolled down the cavern back home, a definite spring in her step. What had she seen down there that had changed her mind so suddenly? She was wearing that knowing smirk of hers, the one she always wore when she knew a secret she wasn?t supposed to.

All of those answers could wait a while, though. For now, her master was getting ahead of her.

?H-Hey! Wait for me!?

Rin grabbed the box, running with it as she made to catch up with Satori. She had all sorts of questions, and the strange feeling her master wasn?t going to be giving much in the way of answers. How was that fair? No-one could keep a secret from her, and yet she was allowed to hide whatever she wanted?

Not that it mattered that much. When it came down to it, Rin was a creature of basic pleasures. She liked bowls of fresh milk, naps in the afternoon and scratches behind the ears, and the master gave her all of that whenever she wanted it. If a few secrets was the price she had to pay for that, she?d pay it three times over.

Rin only noticed she was smiling when she?d just about caught up with Satori, moving in front of her as a makeshift bodyguard. It was time for them to make their way past the smelly, violent hordes of oni again.

And as long as it meant being next to her master, Rin couldn?t help but look forward to it.

locoroco1

• Amateur Spriter/Author
« Reply #253 on: October 28, 2011, 12:10:26 AM »
Cirno, that girl who manages to appear in every story, even if she isn't directly there.
I made(edited) these:
My Short Stories

Drake

« Reply #254 on: October 28, 2011, 03:14:06 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_%28Dante%29#Ninth_Circle_.28Treachery.29
coincidence, really

Man, Satori's certainly a pretty big ass in this one :V

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #255 on: October 31, 2011, 05:57:58 PM »
rou have I told you how much i love you

"Moving on" was such a fucking beauty. Why the fuck have I not found this thread yet?

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Re: Rou's Random Shorts (A Polite Request To The Human Village Of Gensokyo)
« Reply #256 on: November 06, 2011, 06:27:54 PM »
Dear Residents of The Human Village Of Gensokyo,

I am writing to you in order to lodge a formal complaint. Apologies in advance if my language is stunted - I am bad at inexperienced with polite language, and I am being advised on my choice of words by my mistress.

As a proprietor of a public service for which I am not paid or commended, I understand that my opinions and thoughts are not held in particularly high regard. I learned this personally when, during one of my rounds at your village, I was asked if I would like a scratch behind the ears and a glass of milk. I accepted, but that?s not the point.

That said, there are a variety of lifestyle choices popular in the Human Village that make my job much harder than is necessary. I would be very grateful if you were to take some of my considerations into account the next time you think about chomping down on a full lamb chop.

Carrying corpses Post-expiration transport and disposal is already a strenuous occupation even before considering these complications. In the last six months, I have had to take three weeks off of duty because the heavy lifting has induced hernias. After exploring alternatives to no success (apparently you humans don?t like it when I take people into the underground one limb at a time) I have been left with no choice but to make offer a series of furious demands polite requests.

First: I would suggest a toll to be paid by the family for all instances of corpse-carrying post-expiration transport and disposal. Though I do my duty for kicks out of the goodness of my heart, with sufficient funding I could potentially purchase equipment that would make my occupation easier and safer. You expect me to pull corpses out of lakes by myself? Seriously?

Second: If possible, the corpse deceased should be brought to the edge of the Human Village for easy pickup and disposal. There has been a history of difficulty in trying to carry particularly fat generously weighted persons out of their houses when they?re wider than their goddamn doorways.

Third: Again, if possible, the dead guy deceased should be given a bath, or at least a good bit of washing before they are picked up by me a fully-qualified Post-Expiration Transporter, or PET for short. Though not necessary, this makes their departure much easier for the grieving family and means I don?t have to make the trip into the Blazing Fires wearing a nose peg and getting death glares from the oni.

Fourth, and finally: I would request that you pay further attention to your weight diets. I am not asking for you to fast or skip meals, but simply for you to stop stuffing your faces between every freaking meal count your calories more carefully. Even after death expiration, many human bodies maintain most of their weight, and it is hard to work when the deceased is obese overweight massive flabby huge gratuitously sized. There are many other benefits to this idea - maintaining control of your stomach diet will make you more athletic, more likely to help you get laid attract wholesome companions, and generally extend your life (as much as your tiny human lives can be extended, anyway).

To conclude, I would find my work much easier if you stopped being so goddamned fat larger than the cows you?re meant to be looking after wider than the radius of your average nuclear detonation so thoroughly spread ouFUCK IT SATORI-SAMA I?M SICK OF ALL THIS FANCY SHMANCY LANGUAGE

DEAR MASSIVE HUMANS

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A VEGETABLE BEFORE

IF I THREW A POTATO AT YOUR FACE WOULD YOU DIE OF SOME SORT OF ALLERGIC REACTION, OR WOULD YOU DO WHAT YOU ALWAYS DO AND SWALLOW IT WHOLE WITHOUT EVEN TASTING IT

SERIOUSLY, HAVE YOU EVER TRIED CARRYING A BLOATED CORPSE SEVERAL MILES IN A CAT CART

DOES WONDERS FOR YOUR BONES, TRUST ME, MY CHIROPRACTOR SAYS I?LL NEVER STAND STRAIGHT AGAIN

AND IT?S THANKS TO ALL YOU HUMANS AND YOUR SWEETS AND YOUR CANDY AND YOUR SECOND AND THIRD AND FOURTH HELPINGS

I?D QUIT, BUT THERE?S ONLY ONE THING YOUR SPECIES IS ANY GOOD AT AND THAT?S DYING

WHERE ELSE AM I GOING TO FIND FUEL FOR THE FIRES OF HELL? EVERYTHING ELSE KEEPS COMING BACK TO LIFE, GODDAMMIT

SO HERE IS MY GODDAMN ULTIMATUM

IF YOU DIE, AND YOU ARE SO GODDAMN FAT I CAN?T CARRY YOU IN MY CART, I AM LEAVING YOU TO ROT

I?LL GIVE YOU THREE DAYS UNTIL THE LOCAL YOUKAI MAKE OFF WITH YOU AND STRIP THE MEAT FROM YOUR BONES

THAT?LL BE A NICE IMAGE FOR THE KIDS, WON?T IT

MIGHT BE A GOOD INCENTIVE TO PICK UP JOGGING OR TURN DOWN THAT THIRD SLAB OF STEAK, DON?T YOU AGREE

HOPEFULLY THAT GETS THE MESSAGE ACROSS BETTER THAN ANY OF THIS POLITICALLY CORRECT BULLSHIT EVER DID

Thank you for taking my ideas into consideration. I apologise for the inconvenience.

Yours sincerely,
Rin Kaenbyou
Post-Expiration Transporter
Earth Spirit Palace
Former Hell

-----

I wanted a break from all the dramatics that were flaring up in everything else I've been writing, before you ask. -_-
Rin is Kar
Spoiler:
t
kat :comedycentral:

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Rou's Random Shorts (Swaps of a Certain Kind)
« Reply #257 on: November 15, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
I'm writing! And it's not water! And it's wait what is this

-----

Rei had just about had it with these goddamn leaves.

Every day, he stepped out of the shrine and brushed them into a neat little pile in the corner of the courtyard. Every night, they blew outwards and spread all about again as if he hadn’t done a thing. This had been happening all throughout autumn, but sweeping was a habit so deeply engraved into his morning ritual that he did it almost without thinking.

“Well, I guess this’ll teach me serenity or whatever it was the damn turtle was yapping about.”

Taking the nearby broom in both hands, Rei began to sweep the leaves out of the way for the umpteenth time. The cold autumn wind slipped under his robes, and he was grateful for the sarashi underneath. An extra layer was a welcome luxury at a time like this. He had a habit of cheating and wrapping on larger sarashis the colder it became; by winter, he was usually mummified below the neck. He didn’t care much, given that it worked.

As the leaves returned to their rightful place. Rei took a moment to brush a layer of sweat from his forehead. Always good to get some exercise. He’d been neglecting his training recently, but for him that was nothing new. He’d made it through everything Gensokyo had thrown at him until now, so things were unlikely to get much harder given all the incidents he’d already ‘resolved’.

Sometimes, though, it was the day-by-day that dragged on. He found himself missing the inconvenience of flying across Gensokyo to curb stomp another big-headed youkai who got on his nerves. It was annoying, but it was a welcome change to days of brushing away the same damn pile of leaves. Seriously, this was getting ridiculous. It couldn’t be accidental now, surely-

“Hayayayaya!”

The painful cackle that flooded Rei’s ears explained everything at once. He’d had a vague suspicion of the truth, but for the sake of his own sanity he had denied it. As the culprit landed in the courtyard with a flutter of his wings - blowing about the leaves as he did so - any doubt in Rei’s mind vanished.

Ayato Shameimaru stood on one leg, brushing at his face with the fan that served as his weapon of choice.

“Morning, Rei. Saw you hard at work as usual, and figured you could use some company to pass the time.”

Rei’s eyes turned to what had once been the fruits of half an hour of sweeping. He threw the broom to the side, his last ounce of patience for the job disappearing.

“Is that tengu-speak for ‘I’m going to hold your courtyard hostage until I get an interview’?”

“Oh, what are you implying?” Ayato stepped backwards, clutching his chest like he’d been wounded. “I assure you, any improvement to your morning regimen that takes place after this interview is entirely coincidental.”

Rei wasn’t sure why he’d even asked. There was no way Ayato would have given a straight answer anyway. Beneath his play of offense, Rei could see the childish smirk the tengu was giving him. He sighed, arms folded.

“Well, you’d better get started, then. The sooner you finish up, the sooner you fly off into the distance and leave me alone.”

The tengu nodded, kicking off the ground and taking to the air. He stopped a few inches in front of Rei’s face, hanging upside-down. The tokin hat he always sported clung to his head regardless, a small wind current holding it in place. That let Ayato use both his hands for his frantic note-taking.

“So, Mr. Hakurei. What’s your opinion on Remy Scarlet’s upcoming soiree?”

“The little vampire brat?” Rei still had a mental image of the kid running about in his head. He wouldn’t stop insisting he was the son of some famous lord from beyond the border, and he’d nearly caused an ecological disaster just so he could walk around in the day. That had been a fun case to ‘resolve’, if by resolve he meant ‘ritually humiliate in a spellcard duel’. “Unless dinner’s on the house, I couldn’t really care less about him.”

Ayato nodded, scribbling. “Blatant disrespect for nobility,” Rei heard him note under his breath. There was no point in objecting - when Ayato wanted to shame you on the front cover of the Bunbunmaru, no force on earth could stop him. Rei had tried everything he could think of, but every attempt just made the resulting headline more scandalous.

“Second question, then. There’s been a lot of skepticism about Yakumo’s promises to finally close the border to the netherworld. As the closest thing Yakumo has to a representative in Gensokyo, what’s your say on the matter?”

Rei groaned. Yukari Yakumo (he’d only held onto the name so that he could maintain a theme with naming his servants) had been avoiding his duties as Gensokyo’s protector as usual. The pathway to the netherworld had hung open for years now, and despite saying several times he would ‘get around to it’, the youkai of boundaries had done nothing to resolve the problem. There was no real dilemma - the spirits of the netherworld were usually too content with their peaceful lives to enter Gensokyo, and the youkai of Gensokyo appreciated being alive too much to meet with death himself. It just made an annoying little tear in the sky, that got more annoying for Rei when he was expected to answer questions about it.

“Yukari’s told me nothing about it. I assume he’ll wait until the last minute before he fixes it. That’s his usual MO, anyway.”

Ayato’s scribbling doubled in speed. “Untrusted by superior, yet supports his laid-back demeanor...curious contradiction.”

Without meaning it, Rei’s hands clenched into fists. He reached into a pocket on his robe, his hand resting on a trio of sealing talismans. Not to be thrown right away, but it was always good to be prepared.

“Alright. One last question, and we’ll be done here.” Ayato’s grin jerked upwards, shifting to the almost cruel grin that Rei had learned to fear. The tengu had saved his best question until the end.

“What’s the deal with your on-again-off-again relationship with Mr. Kirisame? You’ve been seen in the Forest of Magic recently...”

Rei felt bile rise in his throat. Of course this question was going to come up. Visit a friend once or twice out of boredom, and all of a sudden you’re lovers through and through. He almost fired off his warning shots, but a better riposte came to him beforehand. He smiled.

“We’re about as close as you and that wolf friend of yours.”

That had the intended effect of getting on Ayato’s nerves. An eyebrow rose (fell? It was hard to tell when he was upside down) as his hand suddenly drew a violent line across the notepad.

“Hey, watch what you’re saying. I can’t stand that Momiji guy! I swear, he’s got rabies or something. One time, I tried to get an interview with him, and-”

He was distracted. This was as good a chance as any. Rei pulled the talismans from his pocket, flinging them at the tengu while he was unprepared. Instinct allowed him to dodge the first two, but the third caught him square in the chest. The resulting impact sent him flying out from the courtyard, and probably straight down a good chunk of the stairway that ran down the mountain.

Rei felt his shoulders loosen. There was always a great relief in swatting away a frustrating youkai. He wondered what sort of scandalous headline would be gracing the Bunbunmaru tomorrow. “Hakurei Brutalises Innocent Reporter In Love Feud”? Whatever it was, it was something to look forward to. There was no way it would be as dull as the rest of the chores he had to do today.

He looked about the courtyard again, at the leaves he had finally swept away before Ayato’s intervention. With a heavy shrug of his shoulders, he walked back into the shrine, leaving the yard in disarray. Technically, he had swept the leaves away, and he was willing to let himself off on a technicality.

Like every encounter he’d had with the tengu, this called for a strong drink.

-----

“This isn’t another firework, is it?”

Alexander Margatroid appreciated his time alone. He usually greeted anyone who interfered with his solitude with a bullet to the face, but there was only one individual he was willing to offer his time to. The individual in question was currently hauling him through the forest, giving no heed to the various murky puddles he was splashing through on the way.

“What? Like I’d ever bore you with something as simple as a firework, Alex? This is so much better.”

Marcus Kirisame’s voice chirped with anticipation. It was that eagerness that dually made him so interesting and so irritating. Alex looked down at his one-blue jeans, now mostly an ugly shade of brown. Marcus’s robes had fared no better, but he didn’t care in the slightest. Had he been raised in a barn? No, that seemed a little too civilised for someone who ate mushrooms for a living.

After a too-long trek through what must have been the worst path in the entire forest, Marcus’s house came into view. In a lot of ways, it reflected the man who called it home - rough around the edges, with a lot of useless junk stored away inside, but it was that roughness that gave him character. If he’d been as orderly and refined as Alex, he might even have been worth considering a rival - as it was, he was a troublesome but sometimes interesting acquaintance.

There was no lock on the door, and Marcus barged right in without bothering to wring the mud from his robes. It had caked by then, and thankfully he at least had the decency to leave his shoes at the door. Alex followed, wishing he’d brought along one of his puppets to clean up after him.

He quickly remembered why Marcus was unafraid of potential thieves. His floors were littered with countless artifacts, to the point where walking from one room to another was almost a safety hazard. It was impossible for Alex to tell which of these trinkets were junk and which were priceless, and he had a strange feeling Marcus wasn’t so sure either. Unless he knew exactly what was useful, and the rest of it was just a distraction...no, that was ridiculous. There was no way that Marcus could have devised such a cunning plan, surely.

“Pretty sure it was around here somewhere...”

The wizard crouched down besides one of the many piles of trinkets, shoving his hand in and feeling around. Apparently, he’d actually memorised where everything of interest was hidden in this trainwreck of a house. That was impressive, but at the same time disturbing. Finally, he pulled out a small silvery trinket and presented it to Alex.

“It’s a...” Alex peered closer, trying to make head or tail of the device. It wasn’t a magical artifact of any sort; nor was it a piece of equipment he would use for building his puppets. That meant it fell out of both his areas of expertise - all he could see was a small metal cylinder with a hole at its top. “...it’s the most pathetic flute I’ve ever seen in my life.”

Marcus took offense to that, his glare piercing through Alex’s eyes. “Hey, I’ll have you know this is an ultra experimental super-high-frequency Fairy Flute!”

“Is that what Nicolai told you?” Alex asked, rolling his eyes. Marcus had been spending more and more time with the kappa of late, getting more and more interested in the sciences they’d been forwarding to Gensokyo. Personally, Alex had never seen the appeal - magic could accomplish much more than the sciences when you did enough work, so why opt for the cheap way out?

“Yes, well.” Marcus twirled the whistle between his fingers with uncanny ease. “Nicolai says that it plays a note at a frequency so high that even most youkai can’t hear it. Only fairies can make it out because they’re so close to the earth, or something like that. He used a lot of big words I didn’t really get when he was explaining it.”

Alex had a strange feeling ‘big words’ started at seven letters and above when Marcus was involved. He put a hand to his temple, grumbling. He’d been called away from his research to watch Marcus play with woodwind instruments?

“So I suppose you want me to be on point if your kappa friend is wrong and you blow out your own eardrums.”

“Well, that’d be nice,” Marcus said as he started to make his way towards the door, “but I figured you’d wanna see what happened if it went right. I’m not sure how the fairies are meant to react to a sound like this.”

Alex couldn’t admit he was very interested in the idea, but he followed Marcus outside regardless. Now that he’d come this far, there was no point in taking the trip home without anything to show for it beyond a ruined pair of trousers. He stepped with care around the mountains of junk Marcus called his belongings, stepping beside him in the clearing outside his home.

The trees around him bristled with the sadness of autumn. Though the leaves never fell from their trees, they still took on an almost eerie shade of red in time with the season. Alex had never been concerned by it - after all, a tree was hardly much of a threat unless it fell on him.

Marcus primed the whistle (or flute, as he insisted on calling it), putting it to his mouth and taking a breath. Out of a careful paranoia, Alex put his hands over his ears just in case Nicolai’s claim was false. Memories of that one incident involving the alarm clock that turned out to be an explosive still haunted his mind. That had been quite possibly the worst birthday present of his life.

As Marcus played the whistle’s only note, Alex was glad to find that his brain was not seeping out through his ears. Pulling his hands away, he found that the flute was making no audible sound whatsoever; as Marcus finished playing, he looked at the instrument with a puzzled face.

“Huh. Nothing’s really happening. Is this thing broken or-”

Marcus’s ponderings were cut short as a massive THWUMP broke the morning silence. Alex jerked around, hands primed to pull at unseen strings if necessary. There was no need for conflict, though - the unseen intruders were in no state to fight. A trio of young fairies had fallen - presumably from Marcus’s roof - and were lying in a heap right at his doorstep. Three voices began to bicker at once.

“Dammit, Arty! You were supposed to keep us quiet! This is your fault!” the largest of the three yelped, his long blonde hair running into his friends’ eyes.

“My fault?! Sirius didn’t say anything about him having a Fairy Flute!” a smaller fairy whined, his hair in loops poking into the ground and up to the sky.

“How was I supposed to know it would be that loud? And you’re the one who fell first, Sol!” the third fairy muttered, his black hair covering half of his face.

“Shut up! I just did it because I knew you two were gonna fall, and I didn’t want you to feel bad!”

Their argument continued, the three of them evidently forgetting they were being watched. Marcus grinned, reaching into a pocket in his robes and walking towards them. Alex already knew what he was reaching for, even before he pulled it out. He twirled the small wooden box on one finger as he stode along, lining himself up so that the ensuing barrage wasn’t going to damage any of his own property.

The forest wouldn’t be quite so lucky.

“Hey, you three. How’s about getting off my property?”

Marcus pointed the box at the tangled trio, their wings flapping in vain. They looked at the point of light forming at the centre of the box, then at each other, then back at the box.

By then, it was too late.

“MASTER SPARK!”

The laser that burst from the box was a brilliant white, occasionally flickering with every colour of the rainbow. Alex had to shield his eyes from the sheer intensity of the blast; when he looked back seconds later, there was no sign of the three fairies at the doorstep. There was also no sign of the patch of forest that had been directly in the line of fire - a straight line had been torn through the trees, and a new pathway had just been added to its already puzzling labyrinth.

Marcus shrugged. “Might make getting outta the forest easier, I guess. And it’s not like anything good was ever achieved without a little collateral damage...”

Alex felt his muscles stiffen. That laissez-faire attitude was intriguing and infuriating all at once. Being in Marcus’s presence was at the same time an interesting experience and an utter waste of time.

“Anyway, while you’re here, want me to get you a drink?” Marcus asked, one hand behind his back as he pocketed the flute. “Picked up some nice mushrooms on this morning’s collection. I can make a batch of that brew you always liked...”

He was lucky he could make a damn good cup of tea, or he wouldn’t have been worth Alex’s time.

“I think that should make up for my crushing disappointment, yes.”

-----

BLAME SAKANA HE GAVE ME THE IDEA

[i may write more of these because they're entertaining in a very strange way]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:32:56 AM by Rou You Can »

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #258 on: November 16, 2011, 12:52:21 AM »
... I love you. [And Sakana as well.]

I may or may not have some more requests for you as a result of this... Because this is pretty cool. Funny too~ <3

« Reply #259 on: November 16, 2011, 05:11:28 AM »
oh god that was awesome

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #260 on: November 16, 2011, 06:43:16 AM »
I regret nothing. And it's strangely entertaining to see our familiar girls as guys for once  :D

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #261 on: November 16, 2011, 07:37:15 PM »
Says you. I think I'm scarred for life.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #262 on: November 16, 2011, 07:42:29 PM »
I dunno, I could get along with Ayato fairly easily.

Ulterior motives? Never.

>___>

<___<

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #263 on: November 16, 2011, 10:12:46 PM »
Now with 100% more fitting avatars/names/texts for the occassion.   :]

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Rou's Random Shorts (Hold Harmony Sacred)
« Reply #264 on: December 09, 2011, 12:24:09 AM »
The moment I saw him step out of the palace, I knew the scales had tipped.

I had long since learned my brother?s little ticks. There was a weight in his eyes, as if he was struggling to keep them open, and his shoulders had sunk towards his chest. He was looking off into the distance as he walked away, muttering beneath his breath. I left him to himself, following behind for a few minutes until we had cleared the palace. I was no more than five paces away from him, yet he never gave me so much as a glance. That was how my brother always acted when he was deep in thought, forgetting the world around him existed.

It took a small prod on the shoulder to pull him out of this trance.

?What??

Though he only spoke a single syllable, the aggression hidden behind it was obvious. As he turned towards me I feared for a moment he would strike, but his hands unclenched when he recognised me. Like him, I was dressed in the formal robes of the Imperial council, but my penchant for adding a hint of colour to an otherwise bland outfit gave me away.

?Ah, Futo. My apologies. The negotiations have been...difficult.?

Difficult was not a word my brother often used. Frustrating, yes. Long-winded, definitely. But he had too high an opinion of himself to ever call his duty ?difficult?. That was another warning of what was to occur.

?Is Emperor Youmei still acting stubborn?? I asked, keeping my nerves to myself. ?The Soga appear to have him under his thumb-?

?Emperor Youmei died this morning.?

It took a few seconds for his words to sink in. Every emotion I could conceive struck me in an instant - anger, fear, sorrow, hatred, and countless others. I could not show this, though. It was essential that a member of the Imperial nobility left their emotions to one side, even the women.

As I sat in silence taking in his words, I caught my brother?s eyes falling down upon himself. He looked at his hands, growing agitated, brushing them against each other like he was trying to rub something off. They darted across his robe, searching for a stain, but from what I could see his attire was spotless. It was unlike my brother to be so concerned of such trifles. His behaviour now reminded me more of paranoia than of anything else. A thought was coming to me - a heartless one, but one based solely on fact.

?How did he die?? I asked. It was a question for my sake as much as his. I expected my brother to answer instantly, taking on the level of disconnection that had brought the Mononobe clan to its position in the first place.

Much to my dismay, he hesitated, looking away as if to think his answer over.

?Disease, of course. You know that of the epidemic spreading across the country, I presume.?

I nodded. The illness had claimed dozens of lives in the last few weeks, among them venerable members of the Emperor?s council. It was easy to believe that the Emperor himself, old as he was, had also succumbed to the disease.

And yet, something seemed amiss. There had been no reports of ill health in the Emperor of late, and my brother had visited him as early as last night. His hesitation was more damning than any word he could have uttered.

On that alone I knew that this was more than the simple passing of an emperor. This was the tipping point of the battle that had gone on for years, the point where at last the first drops of blood would be shed.

My brother regained his composure, looking towards me with a solemn smile. ?We will make the most of this situation. While the Emperor is replaced, we have time to begin our own counterattack. Soga has lost his control over the throne for now, and Prince Anahobe has offered me his support. If fortune smiles on us, Shinto will return to its rightful place throughout Japan.?

?And assuming that the Buddhists disapprove of you throwing them out of the country?? I was blunt, as I often was when acting as my brother?s consort. He had never quite grown used to that, the question always forcing him to flinch and take a second to reconsider. I wondered, for a moment, how things might have changed if we were in each other?s positions.

He was silent for a long while after that, his hands clenching into fists once again. ?I shall fight for my beliefs if need be, and the rest of the Mononobe will fight alongside me. If words will not win us the throne, then steel will suffice.?

The look of intent that went along with those words made something stir in my chest. Without thinking about it I stepped away from my brother, just out of arm?s reach. I stared at him, ready for him to lash out at any moment. He wouldn?t, of course - he had no idea what was really going on - but the thought of it still concerned me.

?Futo,? he said, his voice losing all emotion. ?You should leave. Find a village that will take you in. Do not tell them who you are. Do not reappear until we have taken the throne. Do you understand??

I knew it was his way of showing concern for me, but the empty tone he spoke with left me unimpressed. I had seen less and less of him since Emperor Youmei?s rise to the throne, when the squabbling between himself and the head of the Soga family had begun. The desire to see the Buddhists removed from Japan had absorbed him, slowly at first, until now he could think of little else. Even looking after me had become an afterthought.

On top of that, his actions had grown more and more extreme. Initially he kept his concerns for the court, but over the years he had become more aggressive, and now there were stories of Buddhist shrines across the country being burnt down in my brother?s name. The epidemic had started soon afterward, and the Soga were quick to blame it on my brother?s actions.

There was no doubt how the Soga would react to this.

?...Yes, brother. May the gods smile on your campaign.?

Looking back on it, I wonder how I left him so easily. We parted at the gate, going our separate ways, as if nothing was wrong in the slightest. At some level, deep down, I knew that I would probably never see him again. He would die, and the rest of the Mononobe clan would die alongside him.

And yet, as I found myself beginning the long walk towards the Soga encampment, I realised that I honestly didn?t care.

-----

It took two days off the beaten track to make it to my destination. Taking the straight path would have brought me there in half the time, but would have attracted too much attention. I was, after all, a member of the Mononobe, and the guards were likely to have me executed on sight following the Emperor?s death. My meetings with Lord Umako had been kept strictly secret, to the point where only the highest members of the Soga council were aware of my allegiance with them.

The journey took me through the dense foliage of the nearby forest. It kept me safe from detection, but left me vulnerable to the whims of the wild. The nights were filled with the whispers of the beasts, but the mornings were filled with their roars. I could not stop to sleep, lest something devour me while I was unaware.

Theoretically, I should not have managed it. No force on earth should have allowed a young woman such as myself to trek through unforgiving terrain for days on end without need for rest, let alone need for food or drink. If I were to ever tell the story to Lord Umako, he would have dismissed me as a liar or a charlatan.

Fortunately, I had tapped into a force beyond the mortal realm. For years, unbeknownst to my family, I had trained myself in the way of the hermit, reaching a state of physical perfection that seasoned warriors could only dream of. This power lay not with the Shintoism of the Mononobe, nor with the Buddhism of the Soga, but with a third faction entirely.

I was a follower of the Tao.

Running on a power fueled by years of asceticism, I finally arrived at the Soga encampment no worse for wear. My robes were stained from various swamps I?d been forced to tread through, though. Physically I looked a mess, but I knew there was no need to worry for my health - least of all about this epidemic that was spreading about. I stuck to the forest, walking around the encampment away from the front gate. Entering head-on was exactly what I?d taken this detour to avoid.

Circling around, I came to a stop at the distant end of the encampment. The rear entrance, of course, was almost as well guarded as the front entrance. I looked up towards the sky, seeing the sun hanging over my head. I nodded to myself. She would be taking her walk any second now, surely. I kept my eyes locked on the entrance, waiting for my cohorts to emerge.

Eventually, the pair of them stepped out, having what seemed to be a jovial talk to one another. From here, they looked like two ordinary young girls - one in a long green dress with the pleasant but empty look of a noblewoman, and another in a blue dress with flowers running across her vest.

I knew for a fact that the second girl was anything but ordinary.

Being seen was still a poor idea. Tojiko, the girl in the green, was still unaware whose side I was on. It was her companion that I was depending on here. I waited behind a nearby tree as they walked past, then gently tapped at its trunk with my knuckles.

For Tojiko, the sound was far too faint to be heard. Her companion, though, turned towards the forest with a single raised eyebrow. I poked my head out for a moment to catch her attention. She nodded, then turned back to Tojiko.

?Sorry, can you head back in? I?ve got something I need to take care of.?

Tojiko nodded, seeming a little clueless as to what was going on. She wasn?t of the same calibre as myself, that much was obvious. She strolled back to the encampment, while her partner walked towards me.

Through the trees, of course. Seiga had never been the sort to make unnecessary detours around things if she could avoid it.

?You look lousy, Futo.?

As informal as always. Seiga was brilliant, but she was anything but noble.

?I presume that the news from the palace has beaten me here,? I answered, ignoring Seiga?s remark with a well-practiced calmness. The Tao had helped with it, but life as a noblewoman had taught me more about staying calm than any asceticism.

?Yup. Word is your brother?s trying to raise an army to fight over the throne. Umako?s going nuts about how the disease is a sign that he?s outta whack, and they?re pretty much set to wipe the Mononobe out.?

There was no concern in Seiga?s voice, despite the fact she was telling me that my whole family was probably going to die. I never figured out whether it was because she knew I harboured no love for my bloodline or if she honestly didn?t care.

?Anyway,? Seiga said, taking my hand. ?I?m guessing you want to talk with the big man.?

I nodded. Seiga led me around through the forest again, coming to a stop at the side. A heavy curtain stood between us and the other side - more notably, several wooden logs carved into stakes had been erected to stop charging infantry. Seiga cared for none of these, passing through them as if she was made of air.

Following on behind her was something that I still wasn?t calm with. Taoism had taught me to do many things, but the art of walking through walls was one that only Seiga had mastered. She was several hundred years my senior, and my main tutor on the way of the Tao. As I held her hand her power was channeled into me, and I became as immaterial as she was. We passed through the border together, taking physical form again when we had emerged on the other side. A small part of me wondered what would happen if she let go halfway, then quickly decided that was a subject too macabre to dwell on.

We had emerged behind one of the small temples the Soga used for religious practice. I?d been the one to suggest it, telling Lord Umako that having a Buddhist temple within the encampment would both cement his position and improve his soldiers? morale. He?d taken the advice to heart, much like everything else I?d told him. Despite being the sister of one of his most hated enemies, he considered me his most trusted adviser. I?d proven my worth to him many times over the years, appearing more and more often as the war between Buddhism and Shintoism grew stronger.

He was entirely unaware that my allegiance was with a third party.

Seiga stepped into the temple, once again proving she was beyond petty human concepts such as doors. While I waited for her, I removed the damning robe that would reveal my identity, letting my hair down as a final countermeasure. She emerged a few minutes later with a flowing orange robe, fitting for a Buddhist monk. She at least had the decency to let me change in private, reappearing to take away my dirty clothes when I was done. That would be enough to hide me from the common guard, at least.

From then on, she led me towards the war meeting. Already Lord Umako was surrounded by half a dozen of his consults, his face bright red as each of them offered their reports.

?Moriya Mononobe?s forces are continuing their advance, sir. Our numbers are great, but our rations are dwindling. If they cut our supplies-?

?Sir, the epidemic has struck our forces! Reports mark 200 as ill, with 50 casualties! Morale is-?

?Sir, the attacks on nearby temples are growing more frequent. Monks are being executed where they sta-?

?We have to move now, before they get the upper hand! If we wait for the palace?s consent, we risk-?

?Ridiculous! If we move without the Emperor?s mandate, we?ll be traitors ourselves! We have to-?

?Lord Moriya may be too forceful here, sir. There will be too many casualties if we-?

Six voices were speaking at once, each merging into the other. More than once I heard Lord Umako call for silence, but his words clearly held little strength at his own table. He was a poor leader - strongly opinionated, but lacking the conviction to fight for his beliefs.

That had made my job much easier.

I took my seat at the far end of the table. This was not my place to intervene, and the best I could do was watch as the council continued its bickering. Seiga had already wandered off to do whatever it was she did in her spare time. The arguments continued, neither side gaining an edge, until at last a voice emerged from the side.

?Would you all take your turns with your complaints? I understand that Lord Umako does not share my gift.?

A young, but powerful voice jumped into the fray, and the council fell silent in an instant. Its owner stepped forward, taking their seat across from me, a long hooded cloak keeping their face hidden from all. Many would have considered this an act of defiance on the intruder?s part.

When the intruder in question was the young prince Shoutoku, no-one would have made that accusation.

?M-My apologies, my lord!? one of the distant councilors uttered, bowing deeply. Shoutoku gave a vague nod in his direction, not letting the hood slip away from his face. A pair of brilliant grey eyes shone out from underneath it, catching the looks of everyone at the table.

The prince was famous for his ability to hear ten conversations at once, and offer the appropriate advice to each and every one of them. He looked towards each of the councilors, issuing orders on Lord Umako?s behalf.

?Pull supplies from the nearby villages. Offer them protection from the disease spreading across the country.? He moved to the second councilor. ?Inform the troops that the disease is a decay of the soul, and that it can be overcome with devoted meditation.? To the third, ?Let it be known that we will fight for our beliefs, and that enlightenment is attained only through action.? The last three, he addressed at once - ?We will meet them at Shigisan, and we shall defeat them in the name of Emperor Youmei. The Mononobe will pay for their insolence.?

The six councilors nodded along, quickly rising to their feet and journeying off to perform their duties. Only Lord Umako, the prince and myself remained at the table. I allowed myself a smile.

?If I had known you would be in charge here, my lord,? I said, towards the prince, ?I may have known there was no need to make the journey here after all.?

The prince smiled back. The two of us shared a unspoken joke at Lord Umako?s expense. The head of the Soga family had slumped backwards into his chair, weighed down by the armour he?d been wearing since rumours of war had begun. He looked towards me with a hint of concern.

?Perhaps the prince has us prepared for conflict, but only you are skilled enough to lead us through the storm that follows. What shall we do when the Mononobe are routed? How do we maintain the throne??

I had thought the answer to this question over in the two days I?d spent traveling here. It had taken some serious consideration, but I was just about content with my answer. I looked towards Lord Umako, my expression deadly severe.

?With Mononobe defeated, we will install Sushun on the throne.?

Lord Umako raised an eyebrow. ?Sushun? But he does not approve of the Soga family. How do you intend to keep him in check??

?Quite simple,? I answered, my expression never faltering. ?You will wed me to him, and I will deal with any issues myself.?

That was enough to take Lord Umako aback, a rare look of surprise rising to his face. Prince Shoutoku didn?t respond, but he offered a very small nod in my direction.

?...Well, I cannot deny that your planning is brilliant, Futo,? Umako sighed, ?but are you certain you want to take on this role? As a member of the Mononobe, you will likely be unpopular in the palace.

I shook my head. ?My deeds here will exonerate me of suspicion. Besides, if Buddhism is to flourish as we desire it to, we must have our own hand in the way of the Emperor.?

Lord Umako looked at me, still stunned, before finally nodding.

?The Mononobe lost a great adviser when you came to me, Futo.? He rose to his feet, the armour shuffling about. ?I will see to the troops. Lord Moriya will regret the day he dared to oppose the Soga.? With that, he strode off towards the main encampment, ready to give another speech to instill the Buddhist way in his army. I was alone with the prince, and everyone who could have walked in on us was busy with other duties.

The prince grinned as he pulled down the hood, revealing that he wasn?t much of a prince at all.

?I always imagined the head of a family like the Soga would be harder to manipulate.?

Miko was relieved to bring the hood down, allowing her hair to stand as it naturally did. Two points stood on end, like an extra pair of ears that helped her to hear so many conversations at once. Her voice was softer now, more feminine, but she?d taken on the alias of a man for political reasons. Buddhism still frowned on female monks, so having a woman leading the charge for Buddhism was paradoxical.

?All this talk about Buddhism, and their ego blinds them to our actions,? I answered, returning the grin. ?Pitiful, if you think about it.?

That seemed to hurt Miko, and as we walked to the other side of the table a darkness came across her face.

?Isn?t it? Look at them all, bickering over whose religion is right and whose is wrong. Our history is stained with bloodshed, with countless men and women dying over the smallest of disagreements. I?ve seen so much of it, and it breaks my heart.?

She reached out over the table, taking my hand and squeezing. Without thinking about it, I squeezed back.

?If there were any other way, I would have taken it,? Miko continued, sorrow staining every word. ?I didn?t want this to come to blows. I?d hoped your family would just accept Buddhism, but they remain loyal to the old gods. At the very least, it may serve as an example to those who come after that Buddhism is the best solution.?

It disturbed me slightly that Miko?s words seemed to be drifting past me. She seemed to have more remorse for the impending demise of the Mononobe than I did. Not worth thinking about, I decided. Soon, my heritage and this battle would be a thing of the past. It was the future we had to focus on.

?How is your research going?? I asked. Miko thought it over for a moment, looking unsure whether she should answer, but finally did.

?I have been looking into cinnabar of late. The dose would kill an ordinary human, but with my practice of Taoism I should survive it. If my theories are correct, it should leave my body permanently preserved.?

The search for immortality had been Miko?s greatest endeavour. She?d come to me through Lord Umako, though he was totally unaware that we both happened to be Taoists. She?d been the one to suggest spreading Buddhism to keep the nation in check, while we tapped into the powers of the Tao in secret.

Miko squeezed my hand again. ?I can?t risk leaving humanity to itself, Futo. If I die, the fighting will break out again. Thousands, millions will die because they can?t come to an agreement...so I?ll make them agree. Maybe my methods aren?t the purest, but the end justifies the means. The people will bow to an immortal saint, and peace will reign forever.?

She looked distant, still not looking me in the eye, and her words carried a vague uncertainty. I took a deep breath, before once again pressing at Miko?s hand.

?And I will gladly serve beneath you in the name of peace.?

Miko looked at me, seeing my earnest expression, and tears came to her eyes almost immediately. I suspect that nothing other than her standing as a noble stopped her from embracing me right then. To the rest of the world, we were two nobles with the nation's fate resting on our shoulders.

But behind it all, we were just two girls ready to fight the world to make our dreams come true.

-----

I basically wrote this with the goal of making Miko look sympathetic as a character rather than being AGH AGH EVIL like she's usually portrayed. In that regard, I think I managed to do relatively well.

De La Witch

• She is, the most interesting witch in the world.
  • "Keep borrowing my friends."
« Reply #265 on: December 09, 2011, 01:11:46 AM »
Yes, you did do a pretty good job invoking sympathy in Miko, even though it seems like Futo isn't as morally inclined as Miko is, and despite the fact I'm still not totally sold on the, "make war to make peace" method. Anyways, good writing as always Rou.

« Reply #266 on: December 14, 2011, 07:32:31 PM »
The character you gave Futo is interesting, and you really managed to show how devoted they are to their goal. However, as you know, I wish for more! Too tired to say anything else...

« Reply #267 on: December 15, 2011, 06:52:16 PM »
Just read the latest.

Best 12d fanfic I have read yet.
I have...a terrible need...shall I say the word?...of religion. Then I go out at night and paint the stars.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Rou's Random Shorts (Divine Day Off)
« Reply #268 on: December 15, 2011, 11:58:20 PM »
?Nothing like a summer morning, is there??

The voice caused Kanako to flinch. For the last half hour, Suwako had been doing her best impression of a garden ornament, lying sprawled out across the courtyard without making so much as a sound. The only movement she?d made was waving her arms and legs up and down, like she was making snow angels without the snow.

It brought Kanako back into focus. The mornings were always slow at the shrine, so she had too much time to herself. She would stare off into the distance, eyes glazed over, lost in reminiscence. Suwako?s voice was at just the right pitch to rip her out of that trance. Whether that was intentional or accidental, Kanako had never been certain.

?I suppose it?s good for business,? Kanako answered, straightening her back as she sat up, crossing her legs. ?The tengu know I can just rain on their parade whenever I want, so they?re grateful that I keep my power to myself.?

Suwako giggled, sliding along the ground as if she was swimming. She came to a stop right in front of Kanako, her hat?s googly eyes staring up at her fellow god?s face.

?C?mon, Kanako. It?s not all about business anymore. We got past that stage about the time we finished Hisoutensoku.?

Kanako grimaced, loosening her shoulders with some effort. She glared, snatching Suwako?s hat and holding it upwards.

?What?s with this whole ?we? thing? I don?t remember agreeing that you were in charge of anything.?

Suwako?s eyes turned to the hat immediately, and in a single motion she had risen to her feet and hopped upwards. She snatched it back, a sly grin running across her face.

?What about that time you asked me for advice on the Yatagarasu??

?Executive decision,? Kanako answered, folding her arms as she stood up. She was a head and a half taller than her companion, and loomed over her to make sure every inch counted. ?You would have complained that I?d left you out of the loop if I hadn?t run it past you first.?

Suwako put her hand on Kanako?s shoulder, stepping on her toes to stand as tall as possible. ?That means I am in the loop, though, doesn?t it??

Kanako had no answer to that. She turned around, shoulders rigid again, making her way back into the shrine proper. She had to prepare a contingency plan in case Hakurei decided she wasn?t keen on sharing the faith.

She nearly tripped over Suwako?s foot as the earth goddess swerved around her, her expression darkening.

?Seriously, Kanako, could you lighten up a little?? she asked, even the eyes on her hat glaring straight into Kanako?s face. ?You?re being a real downer, and I don?t like having great mornings like this wrecked by a worry-wart.?

Kanako sighed. Suwako hadn?t been in charge of the shrine for centuries. She?d forgotten the daily stresses, the constant fear that another god would show up and take your believers away, all the little things that kept Kanako awake at night. Today was good, but what about tomorrow? What if one of the other old gods had the same idea she?d had, and decided to take root in Gensokyo and rip away all the work she?d put in over the years?

Suwako had been like this, once. Kanako remembered the days of old, when her rival had stood eye-to-eye with her, a spotless symbol of womanly beauty. Now she looked like a child who?d been taken in out of pity. She?d forgotten the responsibilities of a goddess, and Gensokyo had worn away at what little maturity she had left.

?What do you want me to say, Suwako?? Kanako growled. ?Do you want me to just sit back and hope that everything works out??

?I want you to stop seeing enemies that aren?t there.?

Suwako grabbed her by the hand, spinning her around. Looking out from the courtyard, at the top of the Youkai Mountain, Kanako could see all of Gensokyo in its full glory. The lush forests, the pure lakes, the brilliant flower fields - everything here was verging on perfect, the sort of beauty that the outside world couldn?t hope to achieve.

?Look out there, Kanako,? Suwako demanded, her voice gaining a strength Kanako hadn?t heard from her for centuries. ?Do you see anyone trying to steal from us??

Kanako blinked once or twice, the question blindsiding her, before shaking her head.

?Do you have any reason to think that things are going to go wrong??

Again, Kanako could do nothing but shake her head. Suwako tugged at her sleeve.

?Then why do you have to act like it all the time??

Her words made a childish sort of sense, Kanako thought to herself. She?d been comfortable when she was fighting to take control of the shrine, when there was an obvious threat to take care of, but the comparative peace of being in command of the shrine was something she?d never quite accepted. When it had been time to make the jump to Gensokyo, the new wave of potential threats and dangers had brought her back to life, sharpening her senses to a level they had never reached over centuries of dominion.

Kanako?s shoulders tightened again, feeling like they were ready to snap off. Her lips stuttered open and closed, looking for something to say, but no words came out. Suwako took that as consent, and hauled her into the shrine.

?You?re taking a break, Kanako, and you?re going to enjoy it.?

Kanako could have broken away at any time. Hell, with the amount of faith running through her, she could have flung Suwako so far that Hakurei would be scraping her off of the Boundary. But as she tried to come up with a good reason for it, her brain stalled entirely. Had she really been so tense all this time?

She made no attempt to fight back as Suwako hauled her in front of the kotatsu. It was one of the few luxuries they?d managed to keep from the outside world, and with the help of the kappa they?d even managed to give it a working power source. Not that it was on, of course - the heat was so stifling that if the kotatsu was on as well the pair of them were likely to melt.

?I know how you feel, Kanako,? Suwako yelled as she walked off into the kitchen. ?I?ve been there. For decades I had to fight off a whole buncha wise guys who wanted to take my land and make it part of their super-country. Japan? I had to worry every day whether the next guy to come along was going to be the one, whether I was gonna lose everything.?

Kanako felt herself shrink as the words hit her. She was ?the one? that Suwako was talking about, and the goddess?s words stung with accusation.

?And y?know what? It happened. You showed up, and beat me fair and square. Everything I was scared about happened, and I lost everything.?

For a few seconds, there was silence other than the sound of Suwako rummaging through the backrooms for something. Kanako bit her lip, eying the door, wondering if it was a good idea to leave before this discussion got too morbid.

?But that was when it hit me,? Suwako continued, her voice regaining some of its former life. ?I?d spent so much time worrying about losing what I had, I never took the time to actually appreciate it. I mean, no offense, but I did pretty well for myself. A  kingdom to myself, the best steel anyone could muster, and control of the Mishaguji? That?s not an achievement to make light of, if you don?t mind me blowing my own horn.?

Finally she re-emerged from the backrooms, holding a bottle in one hand. Even before she?d opened it Kanako knew it was sake - she recognised the fancy calligraphy the tengu spread across their alcohol in an attempt to hide how brutal their drinking sessions became. In her other hand she held a pair of cups, which she laid down on the kotatsu as she undid the bottle?s lid.

?And think about it. Not only did you beat a fine little goddess like me, but you also managed to save the shrine from the brink of collapse with a risky move to Gensokyo. There were plenty of things that could?ve gone wrong with it, but you got around it all and now we?re pretty much the biggest force in the country.?

The lid came off with a gentle pop, and Suwako carefully poured its contents into one of the cups. She pushed it along the kotatsu, coming to a stop right in front of Kanako.

?So how about it?? Suwako asked, back to her childish self. ?A toast to your success??

It was a trick question, Kanako thought. Gensokyo wasn?t the sort of nation where you had one drink and stopped it there. This would lead to a second bottle, and a third, and by the time the tengu arrived in the evening for the usual feasting she would already be wasted. (Of course, she could have chosen not to be drunk, but the patrons appreciated it more when she played along.)

Finally, with the look of a child gulping down unpleasant medicine, Kanako snatched up the glass and downed its contents with a single chug. The alcohol worked its way through her body quickly, and she felt herself loosen up, like her worries were taking being sieved out of her. A grin rose uncontrollably to her face.

?Heh, sorry. Forgot you?re supposed to make the toast before you take the drink.? She held her cup out towards Suwako. ?Lemme try that again.?

Suwako returned the grin, pouring herself a drink as soon as she?d refilled Kanako?s cup. ?That?s the spirit. Wasn?t so hard, was it??

Kanako nodded. When she got a drink or two in her system, the pride washed away, and she was back to the haughty warrior god she?d been all those years ago. Usually that was why she didn?t play along with the feasting - that was Suwako?s job. She was meant to act mature and divine, staying away from worldly pleasures like alcohol.

But maybe that had been a bad move, Kanako thought to herself. It had put her on a different level from her patrons. They couldn?t relate to her when she refused to take part in even their most basic pleasures. It was a realisation that hit her harder with every glass of sake.

She was out of practice, she decided. If she wanted to be able to keep up with the tengu, it was a good idea for her to warm up. Surely another bottle wouldn?t hurt...

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #269 on: December 16, 2011, 12:36:08 AM »
Awesome as always man. 8)
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure