Author Topic: 東方百画志 ~ The Wish Under Celestial Star (Possibly dead?!)  (Read 103107 times)

luna

Re: Wish Under Celestial Star (Touhou RPG)
« Reply #180 on: July 22, 2010, 08:38:27 PM »
Oh... Great. A Touhou RPG.

I'm thinking about making one too, but I'm too busy doing other projects. But you can ask anything for me. When I am around here, I can help you. [Yes, I'm a RMVX Scripter, if you ask me]

But yes, this seems nice to do. I am making a danmaku game on RMVX, using a kind of active battle system, but the default rpgs are also good.

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2010, 06:22:21 AM »
Before I get shot, I think you should make a floor that has apple trees with a number of them having Bad Apples that you throw at enemies and of course good ones that can be used to replenish HP.

This is an obvious hint to a possible idea  :V . You can play this version of the song for the floor too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROg5VaxiJt8&feature=watch_response

Good news: Not that one remix made of it, nor is it a remix of that remix either!

Bad news: Bad Apples are unhealthy? And I'm about to get shot?

Okay where's that firing squad?

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #182 on: July 25, 2010, 07:46:26 AM »
I would only shoot you so I can steal the idea for my game. However Yuka's mansion is something that is not going to be ready soon.
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #183 on: July 25, 2010, 07:51:21 AM »
I had a question. How do you plan on compensating for exp with characters joining your party later in the game? EXP based on a main character? EXP based on floor #? Based on average level?, etc. I'm just curious, it's not a very difficult thing to solve but I was wondering what your take on fixing it was for some strange reason.

I think it's already planned, but just in case not, please make the NG+ feature like Laby's somewhat where you can choose to unlock all party members WITHOUT bringing over items and exp levels, or do multiple/all of the above if the player chooses. It's nice playing with the whole cast after beating the game without feeling like you're "cheating" or playing "ezmode" by carrying over items.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2010, 08:00:56 AM »
Before I get shot, I think you should make a floor that has apple trees with a number of them having Bad Apples that you throw at enemies and of course good ones that can be used to replenish HP.
While that's kind of a neat idea, I have to admit that I've got the game planned from start-to-finish in terms of what the floors are and who appears where and so forth, barring any major changes.

I had a question. How do you plan on compensating for exp with characters joining your party later in the game? EXP based on a main character? EXP based on floor #? Based on average level?, etc. I'm just curious, it's not a very difficult thing to solve but I was wondering what your take on fixing it was for some strange reason.

I think it's already planned, but just in case not, please make the NG+ feature like Laby's somewhat where you can choose to unlock all party members WITHOUT bringing over items and exp levels, or do multiple/all of the above if the player chooses. It's nice playing with the whole cast after beating the game without feeling like you're "cheating" or playing "ezmode" by carrying over items.
1. Everyone levels up roughly the same.  If I can find a good way to handle it it might be based off of an average or something ala Labyrinth, but right now it's predetermined based on the level I expect the player to be at when they unlock them - but I know that's not necessarily the fairest way to do it.  Hmm.

2. Yeah, I know.  I'm still not entirely certain how I'm going to implement the NG+; it may literally be an extra option that you're asked at the start of a new game, "Do you want to start with everyone unlocked?" or something, once you've completed the game, in which case there wouldn't really be EXP/items to carry over, but... yeah, we'll see how I actually implement it once I'm further along.

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #185 on: July 25, 2010, 08:03:58 AM »
While that's kind of a neat idea, I have to admit that I've got the game planned from start-to-finish in terms of what the floors are and who appears where and so forth, barring any major changes.

Aww.  :ohdear:

Guess I'll just swap out the music myself  :V

luna

« Reply #186 on: July 25, 2010, 02:09:41 PM »
Well, well... I've not seen one of in-field screenshots, just a in-battle one, but well... Will really you use the default battlers from the RMVX RTP? [I think they don't fit, but it's just my opinion.]

And second. Which kind [style] of characters are you using? [Because I've not seen any in-field screenshots, there's too many pages  :derp:]

Thank you very much for the attention.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2010, 03:39:18 PM »
Well, well... I've not seen one of in-field screenshots, just a in-battle one, but well... Will really you use the default battlers from the RMVX RTP? [I think they don't fit, but it's just my opinion.]

And second. Which kind [style] of characters are you using? [Because I've not seen any in-field screenshots, there's too many pages  :derp:]

Thank you very much for the attention.
Right now I am using the default battlers for regular enemies.  I might change them up, we'll see.  If someone wants to suggest something better, sure.

Second, I'm pretty sure Rinnosuke's sprite is sitting in a screenshot somewhere, and that's... all you're gonna see.  Much like the Reimu avatar was in Labyrinth, the game doesn't do a lot like that and prefers a simple marker for the hero and events.  If you mean for cut-ins and portraits though, I'm focusing on Alphes-style (SWR/UNL/etc) artwork.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2010, 06:20:20 PM »
So Rinn is officially THE main character eh? I suspected as much (or did you already say that? I forget, it's been awhile since I read the first few pages). What's his dream/the reward for winning? Becoming female? >=D (oh god you have to admit that should be done in some fangame somewhere >=P)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2010, 03:55:41 AM »
So Rinn is officially THE main character eh? I suspected as much (or did you already say that? I forget, it's been awhile since I read the first few pages). What's his dream/the reward for winning? Becoming female? >=D (oh god you have to admit that should be done in some fangame somewhere >=P)
His wish?

Well, that's actually important to the plot, so I'm not going to surprise it.  Although him becoming female would be a riot, I don't think that'll be it.

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2010, 03:57:53 AM »
His wish?

Well, that's actually important to the plot, so I'm not going to surprise it.  Although him becoming female would be a riot, I don't think that'll be it.

You should have a character chime in with that just for hilarity.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2010, 04:47:15 AM »
Not that I'm serious, but it'd be pretty sweet if he became female mid game like a class change, and suddenly is not-quite MANosukke (but op and all that) >=P

あさらぎシジェ

• MS Paint Lasers incoming!
  • Surprisingly different
    • [あさらぎ Works]
« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2010, 05:16:42 PM »
Not that I'm serious, but it'd be pretty sweet if he became female mid game like a class change, and suddenly is not-quite MANosukke (but op and all that) >=P
Rinnosuke = Cecil now?
I can dig it.

What I'm really wondering is how far you plan to go with everyone being playable.
By that I mean
Genjii, PC-98's unnamed fairies/midbosses, general fairies, Rika's tanks, yin-yang orb, Lily Black, Meimu and Mitori and other fan characters, Renko and Maribel, ZUN, etc.

Lily Black is a must for me if Lily White is playable. She was even included in Touhou Soccer!
And, Three Mischevious Faries and Kasen will need to be playable too now I guess!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:18:54 AM by unlableable »
Oh, by the way. I've found some new tea.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2010, 06:22:40 PM »
What I'm really wondering is how far you plan to go with everyone being playable.
By that I mean
Genjii, PC-98's unnamed fairies/midbosses, general fairies, Rika's tanks, yin-yang orb, Lily Black, Meimu and Mitori and other fan characters, Renko and Maribel, ZUN, etc.

Lily Black is a must for me if Lily White is playable. She was even included in Touhou Soccer!
And, Three Mischevious Faries and Kasen will need to be playable too now I guess!
There -is- in fact a limitation to what I can do.  The game simply breaks past a certain point and I can't do a thing about it.
A few of those will be appearing as midbosses.
Several of them I don't even count as characters (The Yin-Yang orb its own character?  Seriously?).

With that said....
Rika does use her tanks, a number of fan characters will be showing up (Though limited to bonus bosses), Renko and Maribel are present and playable, and Lily Black will indeed be appearing, although maybe not how you expect.
The fairies I had already planned for, but despite the I Had Never Possibly Expected This happening and them being about to get spellcards, no.  They're non-combatants and are staying that way.  They play a fairly minor, but vital role, within the game, which I won't talk about just yet.
I'm not even going to attempt to plan for Ibaraki Kasen right now.  It'd be pointless.  But depending on how long development takes, she may get an appearance.  I will say that, if Rinnosuke's inclusion didn't make it obvious (Along with what I just said above) I am not ignoring the expanded-works cast.  Hell, even Akyuu's present (Playing Gamesaver, again)

...ZUN being playable?  Stop giving me ideas.  I might actually consider that one.  We'll have to see how big Touhou 13's cast is though, as I've got a couple other people who are sitting at the "I have x slots left before the game breaks, reserved for 13 cast members, but I've got backup plans" situation right now.  assuming of course we ever get 13
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:25:42 PM by Garlyle »

あさらぎシジェ

• Surprisingly different
    • [あさらぎ Works]
« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2010, 10:57:13 PM »
yin-yang orb, ZUN
I was obviously kidding about certain ones.  :V
...ZUN being playable? I might actually consider that one.
If ZUN is in then I see no reason the yin-yang orb can't be included.
Just be glad I didn't say Five Magic Stones. :V

I said Renko and Maribel though because they're, like, IN DA FUTURE, and aren't in Gensokyo and stuff and stuff.

But I do want a Lily Sisters team!
That was probably what I was mostly asking.  :3c
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:22:43 AM by unlableable »

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #195 on: August 11, 2010, 05:55:40 AM »
Would you describe this game as more of a super mega version of PoDD (plot similarities) or a super mega version of Touhou labyrinth?
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #196 on: August 13, 2010, 03:04:38 PM »
Would you describe this game as more of a super mega version of PoDD (plot similarities) or a super mega version of Touhou labyrinth?

Podd??
Is this a game I should try?
What does it stand for?

Inactive person

• カナ●アナベラルは俺の嫁 異議は認めない
  • I'm never on :V
« Reply #197 on: August 13, 2010, 03:21:04 PM »
Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream.  The 3rd Touhou game.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #198 on: August 13, 2010, 04:50:01 PM »
Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream.  The 3rd Touhou game.

I assume that's not the podd being referred to since this game is obviously not a shmup at all.

(plot similarities)

Ok seriously, despite the lack of edit note, THAT WAS NOT THERE BEFORE >=P
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:52:57 PM by Ghaleon »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2010, 02:22:45 AM »
A little of both.  Much more leaning towards Touhou Labyrinth.  The plot similarities to PoDD are actually very thin once we get into things and are slightly accidental but also not entirely unintentional as well.

...I'm now reminded I should be working on this @_@ I need to stop getting involved with tabletop gaming.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #200 on: August 14, 2010, 08:59:38 AM »
A little of both.  Much more leaning towards Touhou Labyrinth.  The plot similarities to PoDD are actually very thin once we get into things and are slightly accidental but also not entirely unintentional as well.

...I'm now reminded I should be working on this @_@ I need to stop getting involved with tabletop gaming.

And wiki editing..bish!

I'd encourage you to take it easy but you said not to so *snaps whip*

あさらぎシジェ

• Surprisingly different
    • [あさらぎ Works]
« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2010, 05:15:28 AM »
Tabletop gaming?
For shame!
FOR SHAME!

Shame on you.
Fun as tabletop gaming may be, working is infinitely more enjoyable!
RIGHT?
*licks butcher knife*

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2010, 01:42:06 PM »
You people scare me ;____;

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #203 on: August 17, 2010, 10:32:12 AM »
Say, question time, approximately how many spells will each character have?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #204 on: August 17, 2010, 12:15:09 PM »
Say, question time, approximately how many spells will each character have?
Each character averages 4 spells, with a few having 3 or 5 (Those who only have 3 spells get advantages in return - for instance, Daiyousei's only got three spells and they're not too powerful, but the chances of her ever running out of MP is ridiculously tiny because her costs are really low).  There might be one or two exceptions in the future where a character simply has to have more, but yeah.

There's also a Last Word spell for each character, which requires you to (Cut out due to nonimplementation at present so it might change).  They cost half of a character's maximum MP and are limited to once per battle, but their effects are anything from huge damage/healing output to extremely effective status effects.

Still debating the possibility of combo attacks as well, though expect only one or two per character if I do.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: 東方百餓志 ~ The Wish Under Celestial Star
« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2010, 07:29:28 PM »
soo uhh, a few months back you said you were done the first floor and was working on the 2nd, is that still the case or did you undo enough stuff that the first floor isn't quite done again yet? How far into the 2nd are you? Any luck toning the difficulty so that it's closer to in-between too easy and zomgwtf?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Re: 東方百餓志 ~ The Wish Under Celestial Star
« Reply #206 on: September 03, 2010, 09:16:03 PM »
I never said I was done it.  It's been constantly sitting at a state of "almost done but needs tweaking" as I try to get everything done, and yes I've basically had to do it twice over, and I keep realising more things that need fixing (Most recently: that EXP after level 70 or so stops really growing in how much you need which is bad when I'm honestly expecting people to reach the end at level 150 or so), so I'm not ready to declare it 'done', even though for all intents and purposes it is completely playable all the way through to the stairs up to 2F at the moment.

I'm also building 2F as I tweak things.  Pretty much all the graphics are prepared, which is the irritating part for me; everything else is pretty fun.  About a quarter of 2F's playable cast is in a functional state, and about half of 2F has been mapped as well, plus all of the items for the stage have been built up.

I'm planning on making a serious case of headway over the next week or two, whenever I can find the time.  I'm getting just as irritated at this project Not Being Done as you guys probably are, haha~

Also I should really make a proper title screen.

Also also I did a major overhaul of the opening post so it's got a lot more information in one place @_@
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:17:47 PM by Garlyle »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: 東方百画志 ~ The Wish Under Celestial Star
« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2010, 02:27:25 AM »
Nah I'm not getting irritated.

I reread the first post and noticed:
your battle music will change randomly based on who's in your party, so you shouldn't have to worry too much!
Is it possible to stuff in your own tracks in case you don't like a particular mix for one of your party members? Part of me expects yes since non commercial games tend to just use mps/ogg/whatever files to store their music. But you mentioned actually making them loop properly, which means that may not be the case...

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2010, 04:09:22 AM »
Nah I'm not getting irritated.

I reread the first post and noticed:
your battle music will change randomly based on who's in your party, so you shouldn't have to worry too much!
Is it possible to stuff in your own tracks in case you don't like a particular mix for one of your party members? Part of me expects yes since non commercial games tend to just use mps/ogg/whatever files to store their music. But you mentioned actually making them loop properly, which means that may not be the case...
This is up to the question of whether or not I pack up all of the data or just leave it open.

If I pack it up, it obviously prevents people from looking through the data files for spoilers and stuff, along with potential issues of theft (It's sadly more common in the RPG maker community than you'd think); if I don't, then people have the freedom to swap out the music and graphics for their own.

あさらぎシジェ

• Surprisingly different
    • [あさらぎ Works]
« Reply #209 on: September 05, 2010, 03:37:25 PM »
Thanks for the bump - you may not have been getting irritated, and well neither was I, but I was getting worried.
I get paranoid about stuff I can't watch updates flow by for.

In my opinion, I think packing it up is a better choice.
I prefer to enjoy the epicness or total mess the creator puts together than try to improve upon it myself.