Author Topic: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!  (Read 466228 times)

Tao-Sensei

• Wants to be Icemilk.
  • What do you mean I can't be Icemilk?
Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!
« on: December 30, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »

(Go Forza!)

Old thread.

Official site.

Video of some spellcards!

Anyways, the demo for Hopeless Masquerade, the 13.5th Touhou game is, is finally released! There are three demo characters available, which are Reimu, Marisa, and Ichirin. I think the game is really fun, and has some very interesting mechanics. One thing I found interesting was the popularity meter, being that the game is all about the popularity of religions, and how the person with the highest percent of popularity wins if the timer run out. I can't wait to see who else gets in the game, and the fact that Shou and Byakuren are both not in the backround of the Palaquin ship stage when everyone else is makes me somewhat suspicious...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 12:50:12 AM by Tengukami »

Re: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 01:15:20 AM »
I can't wait to see who else gets in the game, and the fact that Shou and Byakuren are both not in the backround of the Palaquin ship stage when everyone else is makes me somewhat suspicious...

Based on the introduction (which Unzan was also in, IIRC), I think there's a high likelihood that the other playable characters are Shou, Byakuran, Miko, Futo, and Seiga (er, someone said she was there? She'll probably have Yoshika as an assist). That makes for 3 Myouren characters and 3 Taoists, which seems about right, to me.

I also highly expect Sanai to be there. It'd be... odd if Kanako's group didn't get any representation, after all. Still, this isn't entirely certain.

Spoiler:
I'm hoping Kogasa will be a hidden character, as a surprise :P  Also, while I usually say it as a joke, if there were ever a game story for Meiling to be shown as a dragon and Mima as the Hakurei Shrine Goddess, this would be the best chance for that. HIGHLY doubtful, of course, but if there's any chance at all, this would be one of the most opportune ones, I think.  At least, for Mima. That said, the voice in the prologue doesn't seem to match Mima's personality, so it's probably a new character
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:18:06 AM by Tiamat »

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Sweetness and love~ ♥

_cf

• playing with training wheels
  • "Touhou" is japanese for "silly hats only"
    • my Pixiv
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:25:13 AM »
I can't get enough of Ichirin's opening(s), idle pose and AAAA combo. So shounen!

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 01:40:42 AM »
Marisa's broom surfing makes me think of her as being an extreme sports junkie.  Which is now becoming my new, amusing headcanon.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 01:47:27 AM »
Sounds perfectly Marisa-ish to me.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 01:54:59 AM »
I warned you about the starfall crossups. I warned you.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 02:40:20 AM »
I noticed that different equipment settings have duplicate skills for different directions. Does this level up the skill/spell or something?

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 02:42:29 AM »
certain skills have different properties depending on which direction you set them to

for instance Ichirin's giant punch from the sky special when set to back special will place the fist right in front of you, having it as down will put it farther in front, and having it as forward puts it way out in front of you

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 02:44:52 AM »
Ooh. That makes more sense.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 03:25:08 AM »
Just thought of this, but there may be another possible member of the Taoist faction, someone who is conspicuously missing from the group at the Hakurei Shrine.  And seeing how China is (er... was) a Taoist nation...

Part of me suspects one of the playable characters will be Hong Meiling.

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 03:54:52 AM »
Does everyone have a rundown on the different variations on specials?

Reimu's 2Skill2 seems pretty great for continually harassing while diving, 6Skill2 allows for easy followups, and 8Skill2 obviously has the high damage output, while 4Skill2 doesn't seem very useful. Does it have the best invincibility or something?

Chain combos are really difficult when  half the time your hitbox ends up above or below the enemy.

And how strict is the timing for simultaneous presses? It seems to have to happen on the exact same frame or it just causes one of your standard attacks to come out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:57:10 AM by iK »
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

Formless God

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 03:57:27 AM »
Oh shit I'm actually looking forward to this now

The inertia needs to go, though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:59:30 AM by Kilgamayan »

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 04:02:55 AM »
About simultaneous presses, I don't think it's strict at all.
One of your normal attacks come out when you don't have enough MP.
Signature

SeasideCharizard

• Mysterious Flying Donation Box
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 04:04:06 AM »
Does everyone have a rundown on the different variations on specials?

Reimu's 2Skill2 seems pretty great for continually harassing while diving, 6Skill2 allows for easy followups, and 8Skill2 obviously has the high damage output, while 4Skill2 doesn't seem very useful. Does it have the best invincibility or something?

Chain combos are really difficult when  half the time your hitbox ends up above or below the enemy.

And how strict is the timing for simultaneous presses? It seems to have to happen on the exact same frame or it just causes one of your standard attacks to come out.

If you mean for X + Y and A + B, I couldn't even get them to come out and I ended up just using the combined button, so I would say it's about that strict.

If you mean for specials though, it's not strict at all considering you can kinda hold the direction to do it.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 04:26:36 AM »
From the old thread

Quote from: Sungho
Marisa's Full-Speed Dash B attack should be made into a gif or something.

Cartwheel powaa, da ze!

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 04:37:46 AM »
One thing I found interesting was the popularity meter, being that the game is all about the popularity of religions, and how the person with the highest percent of popularity wins if the timer run out.

This thing of popularity meter reminds me some reality shows, Big Brother Touhou :V

Anyway someone knows how this system works? I saw a "yes" and "no" gauge close to the character's photo and its life bar.
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 04:42:46 AM »
I've been banging my head on how to translate Marisa's special ability "三度目の粉饰魔". Just now I found out it's a reference to the Republicans' nickname for Al Gore, "serial embellisher".

So Marisa's ability is something like "The Third-Time Embellisher", "The Third-Offense Embellisher" or even "The Third-Strike Embellisher", since there's a "three strikes rule" in American criminal law.

It's very far from something everyone knows in Japan, and in fact all related Japanese search results on the internet are the same passage of text. I'm really surprised to see ZUN make an American election joke out of the blue. The Something Awful people got it right when they figured out the popularity system, and immediately linked it to the presidential election.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 05:33:54 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 04:45:17 AM »
I've taken it upon myself to write a guide of sorts to those who need it / don't understand how to play yet.

Buttons

There are six face buttons in total. Since I assume you're using a keyboard, I'll use the keyboard buttons instead of the gamepad buttons.

Z - Light Melee Attack
X - Heavy Melee Attack
C (Z+X) - Special Button 1

A - Light Danmaku Attack
S - Heavy Danmaku Attack
D - Special Button 2

The special buttons have four different functions to them. Your special moves, Spell Cards, and Last Words are all activated using the corresponding special button + any direction, and you may customize which specials / spell cards are activated by pressing whichever direction + whichever button you may want, and you may do so for each individual character. It's sort of like Super Smash Bros., except you have two buttons for a total of 8 specials instead of one button.

C/D+Up
C/D+Down
C/D+Left
C/D+Right

Mechanics

The bar at the bottom of your screen is your stamina. You require stamina in order to use special moves. Blocking (I think) gradually decreases your maximum stamina.

In order to use a Spell Card, the blue portion of your health bar must be completely covering the white portion, then you have to press the Special Button + Direction of the spell card you want. Entering the button combination once 'declares' that you are using the spell card. The background will get all fancy and you'll be glowing slightly. Using the combination again performs the spell card. Spell Cards (on the character customization screen) has a shinier outline than normal cards, so whichever combination you set the shiny cards to, those will be the combination required to use Spell Cards.

There is a favor percentage below your health. It can go up to 100% and down to -100%. Favor is what wins you the game if you fail to deplete your opponents health. Once you have 100% Favor, you will be able to use your Last Word. Last Word cards (on the character customization screen) has a red outline, so whichever button combination you set your red card to, that will be the combination required to use Last Word.

With the Last Word, there is no need to 'declare' the attack. It will automatically use the Last Word the first time you enter the combination, so be careful not to get confused.

Character-Specifics

Each character has their own passive ability.  There are different ways to use these passive abilities depending on which character you are using.  Since there are only three characters for now, I will go over the ones I know.

Marisa - She has the ability to augment every fourth spell she uses into a more powerful version of that spell.  Every time you use a spell, one star (out of three) at corner of your stamina bar fills up.  When you have three stars, the next spell you use is more powerful, and the stars return to emptiness.

Ichirin - She has the ability to enter a rage mode of sorts.  When you take damage (or take hits in general, I think blocking works too), the Japanese symbol at the corner of your stamina bar grows larger and redder.  When it gets large and red enough, it starts to flame, and Ichirin and her cloud will turn red.  During this mode, (I believe) your attacks are stronger (at least it feels like they are).

Reimu - I have no idea what her orbs do right now.  Needs confirmation.  She can, however, jump from one side of the screen to the other by double tapping towards the edge of the screen.

Menu

I will now explain the Profile menu.

In order, the list is (according to what they do, not what they are actually named):

Customize Characters
Button Configuration
Profile Icon
Create Profile
Copy Profile
Delete Profile
Rename Profile

Extra

By pressing the F buttons while in a match, different effects occur:

F1 - Instantly gives your player 100% Favor and your opponent -100%
F2 - Same as above, but swapped for Player 2.
F3 - No clue as of yet (something about guarding, from very weird testing)
F4 - Turns on Practice Mode, In which your Health recovers after being hit and your stamina recovers faster than normal. It also gives you a full special bar.
F5 - Sets the maximum health during practice mode.
F6 - Sets the maximum stamina during practice mode.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 05:00:30 AM by Valzion »

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 04:54:28 AM »
If you mean for X + Y and A + B, I couldn't even get them to come out and I ended up just using the combined button, so I would say it's about that strict.

If you mean for specials though, it's not strict at all considering you can kinda hold the direction to do it.

I meant the button presses yeah.

Smash Bros. has me very accustomed to directional specials lol

On popularity: Rushing forward builds slight approval (Think Guilty Gear Tension), while continuously retreating builds a negative penalty.  Landing hits seems to build high approval, while getting hit grants slight disapproval . High-power hits grant more approval. First hit sways the approval by  a fair amount. Counter hits incur a great negative penalty for the receiver, while they grant high approval for the attacker, and you get more negative if you get countered when doing higher-powered moves. Getting countered when doing a Last Word resets your approval to +/- 0% as per usual, but grants your opponent something like +50%.

So basically, greater risk = greater approval if it works, but greater penalty if it doesn't.

On Reimu's Ability: She seems to have taken the liberty of stealing Yukari's wall-teleport for this game.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 05:02:58 AM by iK »
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 05:14:18 AM »
So I've learned bnbs for both Reimu and Ichirin. Ichirin seems more like a hard hitting slow character, while Reimu is more balanced for me so I guess she's once again my main until the full game comes out :V

Formless God

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 05:45:28 AM »
What do the red and blue auras do? They seem to appear whenever I have too much of the corresponding color on the gauge. My Blazing Star also seems to do less damage during red, but I'm not fully sure.

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 06:04:37 AM »
Based on the introduction (which Unzan was also in, IIRC), I think there's a high likelihood that the other playable characters are Shou, Byakuran, Miko, Futo, and Seiga (er, someone said she was there? She'll probably have Yoshika as an assist). That makes for 3 Myouren characters and 3 Taoists, which seems about right, to me.

I also highly expect Sanai to be there. It'd be... odd if Kanako's group didn't get any representation, after all. Still, this isn't entirely certain.

Spoiler:
I'm hoping Kogasa will be a hidden character, as a surprise :P  Also, while I usually say it as a joke, if there were ever a game story for Meiling to be shown as a dragon and Mima as the Hakurei Shrine Goddess, this would be the best chance for that. HIGHLY doubtful, of course, but if there's any chance at all, this would be one of the most opportune ones, I think.  At least, for Mima. That said, the voice in the prologue doesn't seem to match Mima's personality, so it's probably a new character
I did mention it, yes. Although looking at it again... I may have gotten it wrong due to the hair not looking entirely like Seiga's, Someone also mentioned a fourth side (humans, which marisa is on.) in the old thread, which made me notice something else interesting though. Here's a picture with numbers beside them:

1. Byakuren
2. Shou
3. Reimu
4. Unzan
5. Miko
6. Futo
7. Seiga
8. Hakutaku. Considering there's kinda only one Hakutaku in Gensokyo... This may mean Keine in?

Incidentally, there is a person on there (unnumbered due to just now noticing) that resembles kaguya, but that's prolly coincidental. However I could totally see Tewi trying to come up with a religion scam. Church of Inabaology?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 07:25:11 AM by ProjectMars »

SeasideCharizard

• Mysterious Flying Donation Box
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 06:22:25 AM »
What do the red and blue auras do? They seem to appear whenever I have too much of the corresponding color on the gauge. My Blazing Star also seems to do less damage during red, but I'm not fully sure.
I think they cause effects in terms of damage reduction or increase, but I'm not sure either.

Church of Inabaology?
It can fit a hundred people just fine.  :getdown:
Definitely sounds like Tewi, though. She's an Ancient Duper for a reason, after all.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 06:29:00 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VWV4XlyAMA

Marisa BnB for 2.9k, pretty simple, works anywhere. Taken from that combo video, but surprisingly it works anywhere.

Blue aura lets you make certain cancels, like 5b into 2b.
Not sure what red does.

in terms of using the button macros or just pressing two at once, I honestly find it less confusing to just press two at once instead of having to keep track of six buttons.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 06:52:10 AM by Kanzaki.RAmrako »
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 07:00:59 AM »
Blue Aura
Increases Attack Chaining Routes.(or more simply, lets you make certain cancels)
Increases Spirit Regen.
The third one, I think it is Chip Damage Up. Either that or Increases Enemy's Spirit Depletion on Guarding.

Red Aura
Decreases Spirit Regen.
Increases Spirit Depletion on Guarding.
Signature

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 08:24:21 AM »
The 13.5 experience:

Oh shit, the timer is almost down.

omg attack attack derp derp derp derp

I lose almost all of my life.

The opponent has 80% life.

Timer runs out.

I win due to approval.

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2012, 10:03:20 AM »
I've been updating wiki.rei.mu with combos for Ichirin.

So far I came up with 5AAA 8A 4C 3 5B 2C (4C in corner), 2.7K, 100% Stun

And 8B 4C 3 5B 4C