Author Topic: STG Thread 6: WELCOME TO VIOLENT CITY  (Read 129049 times)

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
Re: STG Thread 6: WELCOME TO VIOLENT CITY
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 07:20:58 PM »
Alright, lets clear TSS!

*tries

Nope, fuck this game.  Enemies blend into backgrounds (I was convinced the graphic designers were trolling me when I reached Stage 3 and I saw orange enemies on the orange desert sands), enemies/reversal attacks have too much HP and you'll get hit if you don't have a Level 1 conveniently charged at the right time to destroy what's necessary, enemies will always take the most inconvenient paths (the path I hate most being "I'm going to fly off the bottom of the scree- NOPE I LIED NOW I'M MOVING TOWARD THE MIDDLE AND AM ABOUT TO TACKLE YOU RAWR!), getting hit by an enemy (whether because they blended into the background, they took an inconvenient path, or you made an honest mistake) basically spells instant death due to lack of invincibility time, and reversal attacks will sideswipe you if you even dare look away from the opponent's screen and focus on your own for a moment (and if you do see that hyperspeed reversal coming your way, again, better hope you have a Level 1 conveniently charged at the moment).  I just sense a lot of cheapness coming from this game that I don't get from PoFV (and I suppose it's for a reason, seeing as TSS is an arcade game and designed to feast on your wallet).  PoFV is mean, but at least when it decides to fuck up my shit, I feel like I have at least a few precious frames to make a crucial decision.  I don't feel like I'm getting that from TSS, and it's being far too manic for my tastes.

Congrats to Zengar for the clear, and for putting up with all of these things I can't stand.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Matsuri

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2010, 07:27:34 PM »
It is a little cheap at times, but fortunately it's a super-short game, too. :P

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2010, 07:42:03 PM »
Is Stage 5 the end?  I got there once, got roflstomped, then tried again and got roflstomped by Stage 3 and gave up.  Regardless, super-shortness is no excuse for artificial difficulty* (rather, nothing is an excuse for artificial difficulty unless that's your entire shtick and your game prides itself on it, but I'm not the kind of person who would play IWBTG anyway).

*To clarify, the only part of TSS I'm calling "artificial difficulty" is the color scheme.  It pisses me off that much.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Matsuri

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2010, 07:45:45 PM »
Not really seeing where you're coming from-- I never really had an issue with anything in the game outside of occasional cheapness, especially near stage 6 and 7.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2010, 08:23:52 PM »
Improved my score a bit!

I'll see if I can get a better time. If not for Memory...

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 09:57:27 PM »
Oh my friggen god Queen Memory is so hard. I can only make her almost die ;_;
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Matsuri

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 11:54:42 PM »

:3

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2010, 12:21:29 AM »
The main character of TSS is fucking adorable before she transforms. :V

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2010, 01:30:54 AM »
The main character of TSS is fucking adorable before she transforms. :V

Then she becomes hot, kind of.

Also, the victory/lose quotes in TSS are goddamn awesome.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 02:33:59 AM »
Goddamnit RaDe

Goddamnit DOJ

Goddamnit Ketsui

I suck at everything today. >:V I don't think I got a single 1cc between all three of them despite playing for hours. Maybe I should take a break for a few days.
Let's fight.

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 03:40:06 AM »
so here's the deal: I'm going to make this week a Break Week bonus round.

I spent a good 15 mins recording this segment, cropping it, and optimizing it enough to fit under shrinemaiden's size criteria for posting images. FUCKYEAH.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:43:48 AM by SFKhoa改 »

YouTube - Website - Blog - Ask me anything
You can do anything you set your mind to, but only if there's slowdown.

ebarrett

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2010, 03:43:42 AM »
so yeah I just came back from another planet, when does TSS week end? failed to spot the scoreboard so I'm a bit lost here

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2010, 03:44:23 AM »
That gif is fucking great. What game is it from?

Matsuri

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 03:45:42 AM »
so yeah I just came back from another planet, when does TSS week end? failed to spot the scoreboard so I'm a bit lost here

Yeah, I'm not making one for it, out of laziness. :V

This break week will end on Monday.

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2010, 03:53:42 AM »
That gif is fucking great. What game is it from?

It's when you no-miss, no-bomb the first loop of Ketsui and this appears right before you enter Ura Loop.

Bananamatic

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2010, 11:32:55 AM »
every break week is dimahoo week Y/Y

Formless God

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2010, 01:09:05 PM »
Late response.

Do you have another game running at the same time?
No.
Google says it's a .NET-related problem, but I'm not sure of what to do with this mess :V

[WELCOME TO SPECIAL ROUND]
SAVED SO HARD

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2010, 02:27:38 PM »
shadowbringer - 1,513,241 - All - Story Mode - 5m00s

input file (for lagless mame)

decided to focus in scoring, after seeing how much time I've spent against Mevious (which in turn gave me an opportunity to chain)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Bananamatic

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2010, 02:32:10 PM »

Formless God

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2010, 02:41:08 PM »
Mushihime Arrange. Got to S5's second half before losing all lives, on my first try BV
Then again the stages are all streaming, and the slowdown is really absurd.

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2010, 03:13:34 PM »
Running into stuff when the slowdown suddenly stops is really hilarious too.
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

Matsuri

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2010, 03:28:03 PM »
now let's 1cc this shit

wtf the bullets reverse back and forth

that's like the biggest dick move ever

Bananamatic

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2010, 03:44:45 PM »
This game proves that a hard attack doesn't require a cheesy name, complex patterns or 50 bullet colors

Actually, I think I found out something - the final either slowly advances to the left or to the right. Too bad I have no idea how to find out when it does which pattern.

Formless God

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2010, 04:14:31 PM »
a hard attack doesn't require a cheesy name, complex patterns or 50 bullet colors
Grudge Bow :V
Patterns, names, bullet colors aren't all that bad anyway. It's the slowbro and static danmaku that kills the fun :/

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2010, 04:16:55 PM »
shadowbringer - 1,641,300 - All - Story Mode - 4m39s

input file (lagless mame)

This game proves that a hard attack doesn't require a cheesy name, complex patterns or 50 bullet colors

Actually, I think I found out something - the final either slowly advances to the left or to the right. Too bad I have no idea how to find out when it does which pattern.

okay, okay, I think we all understood that you like Dimahoo. So, allow me to make some advertising, too.. (I got past Steel Golem once, with pods..)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Matsuri

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2010, 04:21:37 PM »
podless 1cc

jesus isn't the game hard enough with the pods ugh ruldra is insane

Bananamatic

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2010, 04:22:31 PM »
and he still didn't 1cc Dimahoo IIRC

so far, looks like the final wave is right-right-left-left-repeat
you still need to find the initial gap though

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2010, 05:08:02 PM »
Tried out Shoot 1UP on Xbox Live Indie games.

This is interesting and fun. I completely suck at keeping my ships alive when they're expanded though, and that's the most score rewarding way. Unlocked game for 80 Microsoft Points once the trial was up. 1ccs Normal first try with a score of around 42,000,000. I wonder if that's a good score. So then I tried Normal again and 1cc'd with a little over 87,000,000, though I ended up with 1 ship left several times on the final bosses. Stage 2, 4, 5, and 6 were complete suck on that 87,xxx,xxx, run too, so I wonder how much better I could do.

Formless God

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2010, 05:14:36 PM »
How do I score in Deathsmiles ?
I know activating POWER UP! makes the enemies release a crapton of repel bullets and items. But I could never hit the first Extend! until very, very late Final :ohdear:

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2010, 07:53:20 PM »
You sorta need to plan out the best route for scoring. Also, never power-up at the 500 mark. Always power-up when you're at the full 1000.