Author Topic: The tragedy of long life  (Read 13980 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
The tragedy of long life
« on: December 01, 2011, 09:58:50 AM »
Read this while listening to this.
Danbooru banner warning for the "read"

Come to think of it, there are plenty of mortals among our Touhou girls. Which is sad.

KFCbbQ

• Taking over the world.
Re: The tragedy of long life
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:31:10 AM »
Sometimes even the player of fate becomes the victim of fate. How ironic...

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:19:53 AM »
Brain is still confuse from listening to Floating Cloud Accoustic's Celtic U.N. Owen rendition instead.
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:24:25 AM »
Well that was definitely put in the right pool.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 11:35:38 AM »
That was just wow.

Very sad indeed.

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

iK

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 11:37:19 AM »
I've seen MariAri variants of the idea as well, but something struck me- Reimu Yukari version would have an interesting take on it given the characters' relationship.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 11:43:30 AM »
I've seen MariAri variants of the idea as well, but something struck me- Reimu Yukari version would have an interesting take on it given the characters' relationship.

Funny you should say that...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:50:31 AM by Yukarin »

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

iK

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 12:27:42 PM »

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 12:57:05 PM »
What no follow up where Remi goes to the library to find Patchoui dying from a long life of alchemic abuse thus leaving her all alone for the double soul crush?

Angelfire

• Oh, you can't help that.
  • Mostly everyone's mad here.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 01:01:37 PM »
Without beginning or end

The ring stretches on into the infinite.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 01:32:31 PM »
First time I read this, I tried to hold manly tears as well. I had hard time doing so.

Sometimes even the player of fate becomes the victim of fate. How ironic...
I never looked at it that way until you mentioned it. Indeed ironic.

What no follow up where Remi goes to the library to find Patchoui dying from a long life of alchemic abuse thus leaving her all alone for the double soul crush?
Probably the author broke in tears as well after finishing this comic, and didn't want to hurt him/herself any further as well as the readers.

About the Marisa Alice drama due to death. It won't happen if Marisa becomes a youkai though. I thought that was her initial goal? Or that probably isn't going to save her I guess.

While we are at it, this one is also extremely beautiful and depressing: (many might have read it already).
http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/420164/absurdres-comic-death-gap-hakurei_reimu-hat-high_h

Read it fully.

iK

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 01:49:15 PM »
I found that one rather heartwarming compared to Rou's piece. Yukari seemed to carry no regret at the end and the worst I could really call it is Bitter-Sweet. Still a nice strip.

Ivan The Mouse

• Don't worry, Yoshika... you will (ahn~♥) protect me...
  • Law Abiding Unless Provoked
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 03:16:12 PM »
Let me ask this: Why do people have to die?
Nope, not looking for an answer. Just asking. I know the many hypothetical and philosophical answers, yeah.
But nope, those answers ain't helping.
Sometimes, we are looking for answers that we want to hear.
So that's why, no matter how much this topic has been discussed to death by the many philosophers throughout the ages, I still can't help but to ask:
"Why?"

...The only thing that saved me from crying like a bitch when reading the article was I was listening to hard rock.
But that doesn't mean I didn't feel any kind of wound.

...Ha ha. Don't mind me. Just waxing pseudo-metaphysical.
Your sig is too big :V ~TSO

Sality

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 10:10:16 AM »
while listening to this.

I cried like a bitch, and there I was thinking that I already have tragedy-of-long-life-resistance; Seriously, thanks for proving me wrong.
That Song fits too well, I have to say.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 12:29:33 PM »
Oh, this comic.

Didn't get me then, didn't get me now. Do I have a soul at all? :ohdear:

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 01:07:54 PM »
Oh, this comic.

Didn't get me then, didn't get me now. Do I have a soul at all? :ohdear:
No one stated it needs to get you (nor it judges if you have a soul or not :V). There are plenty of 'tragedy of long life' artworks and not all of them have the same emotional feeling. And for each person, emotion is different. I just tried to see if I could enhance it with music.

There is also one with Remilia's birthday which was also pretty nicely put. http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/354627/absurdres-cake-comic-flandre_scarlet-food-gustav_-

But yea, makes me wonder if Marisa is going to live longer than average humans once she becomes Youkai, yes or no. Probably almost all 'human' classified characters in PMiSS will most likely live a regular human lifespan.

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 02:19:19 PM »
Well, if Marisa learns the two or three spells that Alice and Patchouli probably already knows, then she will likely live as long as them,
however long that may be.

shurcle

• You can nom on yourself sometimes!
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 04:13:59 PM »
Well, if Marisa learns the two or three spells that Alice and Patchouli probably already knows, then she will likely live as long as them,
however long that may be.
I don't think spells are the only thing that keep them alive.
Considering Marisa already "copied"  non-directional laser from patchy.

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 05:05:17 PM »
Marisa's searching for the secret to long life. She's been searching since... um... I know at least Imperishable Night, but possibly even before then.  She's still searching as of her ending in Ten Desires.

She's young so she has lots of time to find it.

As an aside, Yukari rushes to tell Reimu about the 60 year flower incident because she's not sure she'll get another chance thanks to Reimu's (relatively) short life span.  And tries to trick Reimu into eating Mokou's guts to become immorrtal, though I dunno how serious she was about that.

I don't think Sakuya will kick the bucket anytime soon though  (even if she hypothetically isn't a Lunarian). Akyuu thinks she's using time power to slow down her age. Assuming she has prior warning to it, her IN ending implies she would train up a successor, although I'm not sure how she'd pull that off since the ability to control time can't be acquired by training.  Maybe poor Meiling will end up with the job (like she did in that birthday comic.  Hopefully with enough preparation from Sakuya to at least be a little ready for it)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 05:27:02 PM by Tiamat »

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 02:47:39 AM »
I feel like Sakuya will live for a long time. It seems to be implied that Sakuya is not in her teens.

@shurcle:
The two or three spells she needs to learn are these, from Perfect Momento in Strict Sense:
There are two types of magicians: those who were born as magicians and humans who became magicians.
At the point when they completely become magicians, their growth (aging) stops (*1).
Magicians by birth can use magic from the beginning; like humans, they grow, age, and have a limited lifespan.
Then, when they learn "abandon temper" magic (*2), they become long-lived, complete magicians.
In the case of those who were originally human, when in the course of their study of magic they learn "abandon food" magic (*3), they become magicians.

1: There are those who repeatedly cast magic to restore their youth, but...
2: Magic to stop one's growth. It can only be used on oneself.
3: Magic that allows you to compensate for not eating food via magic power. It can only be used on oneself.
I am guessing both Alice and Patchouli know these spells, but Marisa is not proficient enough to learn it.
She may be able to copy offensive spells, but I don't think all spells are the same, so she may have more trouble with other kinds of spells.

Sality

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 03:43:21 AM »
I kinda forget when or where I read this, the only thing I can remember is Marisa stated that she just want to live as human, a long-lived human that is.

It's just like back when she met Kasen for the first time in WaHH.
"That's right. If there was a way for humans to live longer...."

Kazero

• Shooting Star
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 11:01:47 AM »
Man it sucks when someone you know dies...

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »
That was very well done! Reminds me of an end to a good sad programme.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 01:37:06 PM »
I don't think spells are the only thing that keep them alive.
Considering Marisa already "copied"  non-directional laser from patchy.

Perfect Memento's article on Magicians states that youkai magicians need to learn to abandon their 'temper' to become complete, long-lived magicians. At that point, they stop aging entirely. Human magicians need to abandon their need for food to become a long-lived magician, relying on their magic for nourishment instead. Not sure if they also have to abandon their temper though. Either way, the article implies it takes a long time for humans to master the 'abandon food' magic, since most of them who master it are very aged according to Akyuu. It might take Marisa some time to learn it. It could very well be that Marisa would be a granny by the time she finally learns it. On the other hand, Marisa does have an amazing knack for magic.
The article also mentions in the notes that some magicians use spells to restore their own youth. Marisa might make use of that, whether or not she learns the 'abandon food' magic.

iK

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2011, 01:36:32 AM »
Marisa doesn't really have a "knack" for magic. It might just seem that way since she's the other main player character alongside lazy-prodigy Reimu but it has been shown that Marisa has to work multiple times harder than Red-White to get anywhere near the same effect. Either way I think it's all up to artist's interpretation whether or not she'd eventually master the spell.

Zil

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2011, 03:54:20 AM »
Marisa doesn't really have a "knack" for magic. It might just seem that way since she's the other main player character alongside lazy-prodigy Reimu but it has been shown that Marisa has to work multiple times harder than Red-White to get anywhere near the same effect. Either way I think it's all up to artist's interpretation whether or not she'd eventually master the spell.
Presumably being a youkai magician would confer some kind of superior ability, but it seems Marisa is stronger than basically everyone else, including Alice and Patchy, so I think it's safe to say that Marisa at least has a knack for offensive magic.
I kinda forget when or where I read this, the only thing I can remember is Marisa stated that she just want to live as human, a long-lived human that is.
I seem to recall something very similar to that in Sengoku Gensokyo, just in case you may have played that game...

On topic... things like this make me cry pretty easily, but I like reading them. It's a shame this stuff isn't popular in other art forms (except visual novels, where it's rampant).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 03:58:00 AM by Zil »

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2011, 04:28:02 AM »
Presumably being a youkai magician would confer some kind of superior ability, but it seems Marisa is stronger than basically everyone else, including Alice and Patchy, so I think it's safe to say that Marisa at least has a knack for offensive magic.I seem to recall something very similar to that in Sengoku Gensokyo, just in case you may have played that game...

On topic... things like this make me cry pretty easily, but I like reading them. It's a shame this stuff isn't popular in other art forms (except visual novels, where it's rampant).
Sengoku Gensokyo was pretty cool.
In any case, if you mean Marisa is stronger than Alice and Patchouli physically, then yes I somewhat agree. Even though they are youkai,
in Alice's case, human turned youkai, their profiles tell us they are weak physically.
But, if you mean to say she is stronger than them magically, then no, I disagree. There is nothing to indicate that she can outmagic the
other two. On the contrary, there are indications that the other two are better at magic than her. Stuff like:
From that train of thought, this book was born. It is the only danmaku grimoire in Gensokyo that a human has ever written. It is absolutely not a copy of Alice's grimoire in any way.

The elemental magic up to now was easy to understand, but what properties moon and sun have are a mystery.
It seems like she's doing different magic in each hand. But there is an incantation, so I wonder how she's incantating two at the same time.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2011, 04:29:15 AM »
Ease up on the power levels talk, guys. Thanks.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Zil

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2011, 04:32:14 AM »
Sengoku Gensokyo was pretty cool.
In any case, if you mean Marisa is stronger than Alice and Patchouli physically, then yes I somewhat agree. Even though they are youkai,
in Alice's case, human turned youkai, their profiles tell us they are weak physically.
But, if you mean to say she is stronger than them magically, then no, I disagree. There is nothing to indicate that she can outmagic the
other two. On the contrary, there are indications that the other two are better at magic than her. Stuff like:
I meant magically. I was thinking that because you can play as Marisa and beat the other two in the shooting games, she must be magically stronger then them, but thinking on it now, Alice is an EX boss, and Patchy is stage 4 while being weakened by asthma, and Marisa is just a stage 4 boss.

EDIT: Sorry Tengukami you posted that while I was typing mine. :V I'll delete this if I should.

Sality

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 01:07:53 AM »
I seem to recall something very similar to that in Sengoku Gensokyo, just in case you may have played that game...

if I recall correctly, it was from canon materials, either games or mangas. Probably from WaHH though, her excitement when she knew that Kasen is a hermit somehow implied that.
and no, I haven't play said game.