Author Topic: Robot Alchemic Drive: as close as super robot games get  (Read 3506 times)

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
Robot Alchemic Drive: as close as super robot games get
« on: July 22, 2009, 06:36:28 PM »
People, if you like super robots - Giant Robo, Mazinger Z, Tetsujin 28 - or if you like interesting gaming mechanics in general, you NEED to hunt down a copy of Robot Alchemic Drive.

The title sounds goofy.  The voice acting is AWFUL.  The graphics are just okay.  The plot seems to go on and on and on.

But the game?  Let me make clear the sense of scale to you by the controls:

R1: Right leg forward. 
L1: Left leg forward.
R2: Right leg back.
L2: Left leg back. 

Scoring is counted in terms of reward based on how many buildings you DON'T knock down. 

You are literally controlling the movements of a titanic remote-controlled mecha.  You have a jetpack so you can zip around to whatever vantage point suits you best.  Want to view from the side as if you're watching Ultraman or a tokusatsu show?  Go for it!  Want to view it from street level like an extra in Godzilla?  Onward!  Want to ride on your bot's shoulder like Daisaku in Giant Robo?  It's all there, right down to the rocket-punch!  There's a rip on Breast Fire, and one of the playable characters' wardrobe is an homage to Sayaka Yumi.

It looks like it's running around $20ish and is worth it, if not to make constant Dr. Strangelove jokes with the voice of your professor/mentor figure. 

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
Re: Robot Alchemic Drive: as close as super robot games get
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »
R1: Right leg forward. 
L1: Left leg forward.
R2: Right leg back.
L2: Left leg back. 
........... :V

So I have to click R1 & L1 rhythmically instead of pushing right or up on the directional pad?

And the directional pad is for turning isn't it?

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
Re: Robot Alchemic Drive: as close as super robot games get
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 01:18:50 PM »
Nope.  I forget what the D-pad does.  The left and right analog sticks control the left and right arms respectively - punching, chopping, swiping, uppercuts, etc.  If you want to turn, you hold down R1/R2 for right, L1/L2 for left.

It's ponderous, but you're controlling something huge and ponderous.  It actually transitions well.