Author Topic: ZUN and Touhou status update  (Read 412628 times)

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
Re: ZUN and Touhou status updates: March 18 is ZUN's birthday
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2013, 05:02:02 AM »
You and your friend would be the first two people I've ever seen make this complaint about an upcoming Touhou game.

On the other hand, this thread isn't about you and your complaints with ZUN and we should probably let this drop.
Okay, I'll stop.  The fact that they may reveal all the non-boss characters before release is satisfying enough for me.

Sorry for all the complaining...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:31:12 AM by game2011 »

Re: ZUN and Touhou status updates: March 18 is ZUN's birthday
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2013, 07:04:23 AM »
Chill out dude!  I know how it is to have some excitement and wanting for a bit more before the actual release.   I personally would spend countless hours sometimes starring at pictures on ZUN's blog looking like a dumbass thinking of things such as "Whoooa, I wonder which stage is this graveyard" or "What gimmick will this game's 4 stage boss have I wonder". 

Regarding having them publishing something before the release, I have two views on it.  If they do, then yay we can speculate on what roles will those characters have.  If not, not gonna get frowning there.  That means we'll have even more time to keep being creative and theorizing about what the game will be like!  It actually brings me to another point (though I guess it should be saved for the touhou 13.5 thread?)

I've been noticing UFO and TD's titles actually had to do with their plot a bit more than, say, SA and MoF.  What if HM has something to do with it too?  Maybe a part of the humans are actually only pretending to be pessimistic so everybody gets too distracted in their war -for- the humans they ignore them as a whole?  Or maybe the final boss has something to do with masks?   

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
The Pixiv Illustration Contest for Reitaisai 10 has begun.

http://www.pixiv.net/reitaisai10/
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

cuc

Despite having a release date of March 26, Forbidden Scrollery Vol. 1 has actually hit the street in March 24. It features a short new chapter about, among other things,
Spoiler:
how close Kosuzu and Mamizou has become
, and reveals in the character design sheets that Marisa
Spoiler:
has many pets, and has recently upgraded her house with a huge telescope
, which can actually already be seen in FS Chapter 3.

There's no new FS chapter this month.

On a more comedic note, today someone discovered a thing, and tweeted it to ZUN, and everything followed from there.

On the website (Japanese, English) of a certain "Tokyo School of Anime", one of its examples is a freshman Youichi Hirokawa from its sister school FC Tokyo, who worked as "sound designer of Touhou Project".  They have not fixed the main text at this moment, but the text on the accompanying photo has been modified from "active as the sound designer of Touhou Project" into "active as the sound designer of Touhou derivative doujin anime 'Episode 1 Musou Kakyou ~A Summer Day's Dream'".
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:47:18 PM by cuc »

Speaking of the volume releases, is the release date of the next volume of WAHH known yet? They've been doing 5 chapters per volume so it should be soon, but I can't find it on Japanese Amazon.co.jp. I'd kinda like to save on shipping by getting both FS and WAHH at the same time.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:27:44 PM by Clarste »

cuc

The release date is still "this summer".

NicoNico has posted a long interview article with ZUN, where he talked about his view of doujin games.

http://sp.ch.nicovideo.jp/indies-game/blomaga/ar172115
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:22:09 PM by cuc »

Despite having a release date of March 26, Forbidden Scrollery Vol. 1 has actually hit the street in March 24. It features a short new chapter about, among other things,
Spoiler:
how close Kosuzu and Mamizou has become
, and reveals in the character design sheets that Marisa
Spoiler:
has many pets, and has recently upgraded her house with a huge telescope
, which can actually already be seen in FS Chapter 3.

I wonder if Marisa still has that pet youkai worm Tsuchinoku  that she got in OSP.  I always found it odd that she acquired it as a pet yet it was never mentioned again.  Well, can't say her penchant for pet collecting wasn't implied before. It's interesting how there's so much of the Touhouverse that's been implied or stated via third party narrative that we've yet to see that's gradually getting shown in actual practice finally.

Aw, she wants to go star watching again!

Aw, she wants to go star watching again!

She names most of her spellcards after astronomy stuff so it's no surprise she's interested in that.

She names most of her spellcards after astronomy stuff so it's no surprise she's interested in that.

Yea.  I said "again" because the origin of her spell cards' astronomy theme was shown in Curiousities of Lotus Asia, where a child Marisa was enamoured by the meteor shower going on.

cuc

Re: ZUN and Touhou status updates: WaHH Vol. 3 on July 27
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »
Touhou Ibara-Kasen ~ Wild and Horned Hermit Vol. 3 will be released on July 27. There will be a special version that comes with a Kasen figurine.

ZUN has just had another Nikenme Radio broadcast, but the person who usually reports on those broadcasts on the Fantasy Board forum is having some PC problems today, so I still don't know whether anything interesting is brought up this time. The theme of this broadcast is supposed to be "Kadokawa" (one of the largest book publishers in Japan, and publisher of EaSND, SaBND, OSP and FS),

I will translate the long ZUN interview when I have time (by liberally borrowing from the translation of a friend). It will be meaty, for sure.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2013, 02:22:44 PM »
WaHhhHh so cute, I do want one  :3
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

cuc

« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2013, 03:55:42 PM »
Still busy. I'll probably translate some forum posts about topics such as ZUN's manga writing, why he chose Harukawa, and the recent broadcast first.

Also, tomorrow ZUN will attend a PoriPori Club broadcast, with the theme of "doujin game and indie game". I can't wait to see how a dialogue between ZUN and Yoshiro Kimura (who attended BitSummit this month) will turn out.

cuc

« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2013, 02:13:06 PM »
Nothing important recently, and I still haven't translated anything long. This update is all about gossipy stuff!

Regarding this last PoriPori Club show: the show was broadcast on NicoNico, where free users have to make way for paying users during a live broadcast, and can only watch it afterwards during a short timeframe and even that requires reserving a "ticket" beforehand. As a result, I only managed to catch a glimpse of it. Apparently ZUN didn't speak a lot during the show.

======================

Unabara on the origin of Twilight Frontier's name:
I like [Street Fighter] EX characters. The name of our circle comes from Twilight Lariat.

Twilight Lariat is a special attack of Darun Mister, a wrestler from India who sought to challenge Zangief. He tweeted it in the evening of March 31, but this shocking revelation still left me wondering if it's an April Fools' joke.

======================

On April 1, ZUN tweeted:
I'm drinking while watching Kyoryuger. #AprilFools

The joke is: 1) Kyoryuger, as Toei's Super Sentai show, is broadcast on Sunday morning, and April 1 is a Monday; 2) apparently ZUN said last year he is cursed to be unable to drink every April 1.

If you ever wondered about ZUN's anime-watching habits... I think he has never been an especially avid anime fan due to how little he references any anime. The only anime he mentioned recently seem to be the JoJo anime, about which he tweeted his wife having to work overtime so they couldn't watch it together (she's a game programmer, and game development means "crunching"), and Pretty Cure, which is broadcast as a block along with Kamen Rider and Super Sentai every Sunday morning.

======================

Recent events:

New chapter of WaHH will be released on April 10.

Probably inspired by the international trend of game jams where developers try to make a game in a short timeframe, PoriPori Club will hold a "Making an iPhone Game in 2 Hours Night" event on April 13. ZUN will be there, and he also said:
By the way, my job is "the guy who gets in the way of the games' completion".

The 6th Akibahara Beer Fair will take place from April 26 to May 5. You can get ZUN art coasters during the fair. Chances are good there'll be new Beerko art.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:36:59 PM by cuc »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2013, 02:57:16 AM »
There's something that stuck out to me in ZUN's interview on the difference between doujin and indie games. Doujin games are made by hobbyists and are not necessarily sold with the intention of making a profit, unlike indie games. He doesn't think that people shouldn't make money from their work, but they should make what the creators themselves would want to play first and foremost.

« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2013, 05:00:16 AM »
There's something that stuck out to me in ZUN's interview on the difference between doujin and indie games. Doujin games are made by hobbyists and are not necessarily sold with the intention of making a profit, unlike indie games. He doesn't think that people shouldn't make money from their work, but they should make what the creators themselves would want to play first and foremost.

Really? Did he just imply that all indie games are profit-oriented?

ZUN, stop drinking. You're not making sense here.

Then again, Touhou never makes sense so whatever.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2013, 05:09:59 AM »
Really? Did he just imply that all indie games are profit-oriented?

ZUN, stop drinking. You're not making sense here.

Then again, Touhou never makes sense so whatever.

No, dude, geez. He was saying that indie/doujin gamers shouldn't work for free if they don't want to. He was also saying that doujin games are almost ALWAYS are done with the product in mind, rather than for a living.

And at any rate that was only his secondary point.

« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2013, 05:14:07 AM »
He was also saying that doujin games are almost ALWAYS are done with the product in mind, rather than for a living.

And indie games aren't?

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2013, 05:18:08 AM »
It was mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread that "Indie" has a very different connotation for Japanese game developers, especially versus "Doujinshi." I'll try to find it...

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2013, 05:18:58 AM »
And indie games aren't?

You are not piecing together what is being said right. Please check again.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:43:34 AM by Skeletal Skull Scoundrel »

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2013, 11:19:07 PM »
And indie games aren't?
If this helps, I get the notion that what we look for in indie games, they look for in doujin. When we think of shovelware games and any branched owned by EA, they probably think indie.

cuc

« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2013, 12:26:06 AM »
The doujin ideal is more "I just want to do my own thing", while the current indie movement does have a certain element of self-aggrandizement and "we too can win big". The article linked below is a good example: why does it have to use Minecraft as a yardstick for success in the first place?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-29-inside-japans-indie-scene

Also read the article's comments: some very good posts there!

My problem with the doujin mentality is that it's too self-interested and not public-minded enough, without sufficient consideration to communicate, to give and take with the world outside of one's own small circle of friends. I think that's something they can learn from the indie movement. Here's how Naramura (La Mulana) illustrated it:
http://pic.twitter.com/HYR2JySayt
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:12:12 AM by cuc »

Drake

« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2013, 12:53:49 AM »
Cuc stole my post. The difference between doujin and indie when used in these contexts is a difference in developer intent, and sort of is hinted at with the words themselves. "Doujin" is almost a philosophy of game development; the feeling that you want to create and release games for you and your like-minded peers for the sole purpose of being able to enjoy the game. The only purpose for monetary gain in this regard is the ability to print more copies and distribute them so more people can get to play them. "Indie" on the other hand is still short for "independently developed", and while indie in our culture often refers to the above doujin philosophy, it also just means games produced with no funded financial support. Very often, indie groups in America and Canada are still focused on making money; being able to rise from the group up with nothing but your own convictions and making it big while doing what you love. There's a sense of "I can make it without climbing up the ladder or needing to join a conglomerate where I'm only a small part of the big picture". It's an individualization aspect common in NA, and is very often from the same people who want to get into game development because they want to make a living playing games and other things associated with playing games i.e. being able to do nothing. Clearly that sort of mentality fades quickly since those will fail instantly, but it's the same type of people that this sentiment comes from. It's also ubiquitous in the new age of app development, from the common notion that people who do something simple can have that simple thing take off by itself. This notion isn't unique to the developers either; a lot of the population seems to sharpshoot focus on the small groups of people who get rich in app development doing something that seemingly takes little work.

In any case, it's these sorts of mentalities that are being criticized. The focus is on the advancement of the individuals, rather than the focus being on the product and its enjoyment.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

cuc

« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2013, 07:29:37 AM »
In this past week: new Beerko art was formally revealed; Aya Azuma showed off the new Kasen figurine; TH13.5 had a new demo.

====================

Doujin Doomsday Watch:
Japan has signed the pre-negotiation agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership, and is ready for taking part in the TPP talks. The ruling party LDP itself cannot reach a consensus about whether Japan should join TPP, so this treaty does not guarantee anything yet.

====================

The PoriPori Club event "The Night of Making an iPhone Game in 2 Hours" has wrapped up. ZUN said it turned out more exhausting for him than he expected. Since this is broadcast via UStream like their normal shows, you can still watch it on their channel.

PoriPori Club's summary of the event (I hope you still remember the important names like Yoshiro Kimura and Yoichi Tanzawa):
http://poriporiclub.blogspot.com/2013/04/2iphonenight_8722.html

When Kimura asked what kind of game to make, ZUN said "Make an FPS!" And Tanzawa said "Can't we make an MMO?" Of course they had no time for fooling around, so they decided to make a paper sumo game! (Paper sumo is a popular children's origami game.)

With art and programming work going on at the same time, they managed to produce a playable prototype in time.

It's also funny to see ZUN not only surrounded by people bigger and taller than him, but also being the only one using a Windows PC.

====================

This month's Nikenme Radio broadcast is scheduled at 8:00 PM, April 24 (GMT+8). Don't forget that ZUN is still in the middle of Touhou 14's development. This should be fun.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:46:59 AM by cuc »

Formless God

« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2013, 04:20:31 AM »
When Kimura asked what kind of game to make, ZUN said "Make an FPS!"
I want a tuhu FPS

cuc

« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2013, 03:41:08 AM »

Buying this month's issue of Comp Ace at Gamers will get you a bonus Forbidden Scrollery picture (called "bromide" in Japan). (Link, some images on the page may be slightly NSFW)

The composition of this picture appears very much like a magazine cover art, so there's a good chance this issue will feature Forbidden Scrollery on its cover.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:44:39 AM by cuc »

cuc

Re: ZUN and Touhou status updates: vampire ZUN and Legend of Zelda
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2013, 01:47:47 AM »
The signed coaster ZUN will be giving out to people who buy his homebrew beer "Super Red the Nightless Castle" at NicoNico Super Conference 2:

The artist who designed the coaster got lazy. This is in fact based on the coaster of last year's first NicoNico Super Conference. The beer he sold that time was "Super Orange Ale":

====================

When Nintendo announced the 3DS sequel to Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, ZUN tweeted:
They are making A Link to the Past 2? Wouldn't it be great if it's a horizontal-scrolling action game?

It certainly won't be a text-dodging, choice-sniping shooting game.

ZUN confirmed for Legend of Zelda II: Adventure of Link fan.

BTW, a tweet before that:
Well, whatever. If those who make doujin games enjoy doing it, young [doujin makers] will increase naturally.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 04:52:43 AM by cuc »

Formless God

« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2013, 05:23:05 AM »
his homebrew beer "Super Red the Nightless Castle"
Nice. That pretty much confirms that TH14 won't be taking place in that dumb mansion again.

« Reply #147 on: April 20, 2013, 07:15:17 AM »
"Super Red the Nightless Castle"
This is cool.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 07:16:48 AM by ohgodbloodseverywhere »

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2013, 01:03:33 AM »
By the way, isn't it about time for Zun to actually announce touhou 14?

Sweetness and love~ ♥

cuc

« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2013, 01:11:23 PM »
As has been said, there will be a Nikenme Radio broadcast on April 24, where a ZUN who has been deep into the development of Touhou 14 will emerge from reclusion and talk about stuff. The actual announcement (title, screenshot, game premise) may not happen until May.

For the release of WaHH Vol. 3, Aya Azuma will be present for two signings, on July 27 in Animate of Shinjuku, Tokyo, and on August 4 in Melonbooks of Nihonbashi, Osaka, respectively.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:04:11 PM by cuc »