Author Topic: Official Touhou Fighting Games General - The Revival  (Read 109979 times)

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
Re: Hisoutensoku and Suimusou General - The Revival
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2013, 06:39:34 PM »
As of now, this thread is for both IaMP and Hisoutensoku discussion! Same goes for the IRC channel, use it for matchmaking and discussion too. :D

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!
Feel free to message me if you need anything!

Sky

• The most tedious player Jeans has ever fought
  • Mains: Aya & Mamizou; Submains: Okuu & Futo
Re: Touhou 12.3 ~Hisoutensoku~ General - The Revival
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2013, 07:58:20 AM »
I'd be up for another tournament... if it wasn't a "general" tournament, like it was here. I think having a "beginner" tournament and a "professional" tournament would be a good idea. Because it's not really fun for people who aren't that great at the game to be thrown into the same tournament as seasoned veterans. I understand we're all trying to have fun here, but it's not fun for people who will lose early because they're coming up against people who are really good at the game. It's, what's the word, unfair.
Sorry for the complaining, but I have a point.
I honestly cannot tell if you're joking. I'll just assume that you aren't.
If a tournament is properly seeded, the "professional" players will be relatively spread out. The weaker links are sent to the loser bracket sooner rather than later, so you should be fighting weaker players in losers until you start advancing. If you get a player that can beat you in losers, just accept your loss and WORK ON GETTING BETTER.
You could run pools and split into pro and amateur brackets, but that's a lot of effort for a relatively small tournament and would still require seeding.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2013, 04:10:18 PM »
I'm sorry for writing that. That was just post-tournament frustration talking. I didn't win a single round, I got really angry, and I wrote that in response, because I was so frustrated. And I've tried to improve. Except practice battles against other players feels less like practice and more like getting the crap beaten out of me. It's frustrating and it's also my own fault for thinking I could ever be good at this game.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Sky

« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2013, 01:43:01 AM »
I'm sorry for writing that. That was just post-tournament frustration talking. I didn't win a single round, I got really angry, and I wrote that in response, because I was so frustrated. And I've tried to improve. Except practice battles against other players feels less like practice and more like getting the crap beaten out of me. It's frustrating and it's also my own fault for thinking I could ever be good at this game.
It's fine to be bad, but a defeatist attitude isn't exactly the best to have if you plan on getting better.
You're going to get beaten up a lot until you learn how to use your character and what other characters are capable of.
This'll sound REALLY corny, but you should count every match as a victory if you actually learn something from it.
That way, you keep an optimistic mindset and work toward your goal bit-by-bit.
It's 150% mental, 75% emotional, and... 68.46% physical (assuming that you're 293.46% people).

When practicing against people, pretend that you're only practicing movement/escaping pressure/not mashing for now.
You can practice comboing off of hits in practice and add them later.

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2013, 04:09:25 AM »
I didn't win a single round, I got really angry, and I wrote that in response, because I was so frustrated. And I've tried to improve. Except practice battles against other players feels less like practice and more like getting the crap beaten out of me. It's frustrating and it's also my own fault for thinking I could ever be good at this game.
Oh god, this SO MUCH. I'm actually on an indefinite hiatus from Soku Lobby because I was getting my ass handed to me whenever I tried to fight someone. It's why I didn't take part in the tournament; I'm also a poor sport. Sad thing is, this is the only fighter I've ever had the patience and motivation to learn. :'(

Enough ranting; here's my (late to the party) profile:

Name: Aero
Level of Play: Absolutely atrociously awful
Plays: Remilia, trying to learn Aya
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2013, 06:01:49 AM »
Validon98: but you can be good at this game; sometimes, it's not just about how much you try to improve, but also, how you're trying to improve. I recommend reading this article, which should also apply to other fighting games (and other genres such as shmups, methinks), because what I wanted to say (and this article does a better job at it than me) is that, by fixing the flaws in the way you play the game (flaws such as bad movement, allowing yourself to get pressured in cases that you could've avoided it, being predictable, being impatient, not knowing matchup details, etc), you'll become more difficult to be beaten.

for now (since I don't main Marisa), I'd say (hopefully as constructive advice):
- use spellcards after 5aaaa, not 5aaa
- if you're going to use 66a, try to not become predictable (the opponent can jump, or block), and to do it from maximum distance (so that the end of the kick reaches the opponent and gives you the least possible recovery time). Watch for reversals (not against Marisa, iirc, but against other characters with good reversals) which can be used against your 66a
- (maybe) practice staggers (5aa, delay, a, or 5aaa, delay, a) to have an alternative for 5aaab
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2013, 12:41:30 PM »
Being destroyed at first is part of getting good at any fighter. It doesn't mean you'll never be good.

Yaffyfan

• Golden Suika for the #1 Suika
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2013, 12:24:31 PM »
Recently some friends and I got together to make a huge "Newbie friendly" tournament. The point of this tournament was to not only encourage newer players to join in netplay, but to also invite many players from many different communities.  In the end, the tournament was a huge success, and the demand for another tournament was crazy.

Here's the link to the bracket: http://challonge.com/TLSokuInvitational

I would like to invite the MoTK community to join in the next tournament, seeing how there are quite a few members here that may be interested. We're planning on hosting the second tournament in late June, on either a Saturday or Sunday. Signups are not open yet, but I would like to check if anyone is interested in this idea.

PS. If you consider yourself to be a "High level player", we may have to bar you from the tournament. If you aren't sure if you are at this level or not, PM me and get ready to possibly fight some members (Most likely the top ones) that participated in the tournament. (Or me!)

« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2013, 09:04:55 PM »
Good afternoon
I just started at this forum but I really went for the soku Threads

I used to be a SWR Player , a really addictive game

well i guess i am really unknown here D:

so here I go

my name is Krad420 , I Main Marisa and I am pretty above the average player
I am from Mexico (people called it the mexilag, i hope soku roll fix this )

and I really want to play vs people one more time

nice to meet ya

so see ya around

Krad out

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2013, 08:53:34 PM »
Good afternoon
I just started at this forum but I really went for the soku Threads

I used to be a SWR Player , a really addictive game

well i guess i am really unknown here D:

so here I go

my name is Krad420 , I Main Marisa and I am pretty above the average player
I am from Mexico (people called it the mexilag, i hope soku roll fix this )

and I really want to play vs people one more time

nice to meet ya

so see ya around

Krad out

Nice to have you on board! I look forward to seeing you on IRC.

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!

Blue

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • aaaaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2013, 03:10:40 AM »
Well, I just made an account here, so yeah.

Name: Blue
Skill Level: Good(I can beat Lunatic Arcade, whatever that's worth)
Plays: I main Suwako, secondaries are Yukari and (rarely)Youmu.

I've been playing for about 3 months, but I only played Touhou in general for about a month before that. Oh, and I've never played against actual people before, so this should be interesting.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:12:50 AM by Blue »

Sanger Zonvolt

• Sword That Cleaves Evil
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2013, 03:13:42 AM »
Hey, I used to play a bit of IAMP here and there not well though and mostly with Suika.

Can't say I've found a main in Soku yet, I enjoy Reisen, and so far Youmu, Cirno, and Suwako are fun. I'm not quite sure how I should build a deck, so I went 2-4 skill cards for each motion and 4 sacrificial dolls as I heard they are great, but deck building tips would be great.

I'm up for games anytime and looking forward to learning this game, I'm quite a seasoned fighting game player, but not a Touhou one.

Also do you guys play Hopeless Masquerade netplay? The game feels pretty awesome from what little I played of it so far.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:16:59 AM by Sanger Zonvolt »

Waga Zankantou ni tatenu mono nashi!

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2013, 03:19:33 AM »
Meh, I'm waiting for the full version. Only 13 more days. Is your body ready? Mine sure is. 8D

Unless Hatate SOMEHOW makes it in; then I won't be ready.
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2013, 04:08:52 AM »
I'd like to play with you guys someday, but I don't have alot of free time right now so I'm not sure when exactly I'd get a chance. Still, it couldn't hurt to post my Hisoutensoku info now anyways, so here it is.

Name: SirBlueberry
Level of play: Well above Lunatic AI*
Plays: Main Okuu, 2nd Meiling. Somewhat decent with others, but I'd greatly prefer to use Okuu/Meiling.
Area: US

*I can only compare myself to the AI, because I haven't played against actual opponents very often. I can beat Lunatic AI opponents no sweat, but AI is only AI and it never gets any better at the game, so yeah. I don't have a good idea of my actual skill level. Mid, Mid-High perhaps? I surely won't call myself an expert.

If you see me around, I'd always be up for a match if I'm not busy! Soon enough I'll have alot more free time on my hands and I can play more often.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 04:13:18 AM by SirBlueberry »

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2013, 12:44:39 AM »
Seeing as we've included IaMP in our roster of games, I can't see why we wont be playing 13.5 too!

Welcome Blue and SirBlueberry!

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2013, 12:46:38 AM »
Seeing as we've included IaMP in our roster of games, I can't see why we wont be playing 13.5 too!

Maybe this should just be a general Touhou fighting game thread (only the fighting games made by Tasofro, obviously)?

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2013, 12:49:25 AM »
Probably will be if Hopeless Masquerade doesn't have utterly dire netplay! Let's hope.

Sky

« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2013, 10:53:32 PM »
Perhaps introducing myself might have been a bit better than just appearing out of nowhere to jump someone for complaining. ^^;

Name: SkyPirateCoud
Skill Level: I'm one of the masters of this hole. There are five masters in all. We are all moles, of course. I believe I'm the third strongest amongst us.
Main: Aya
Secondaries: Utsuho, Komachi, Sanae, Meiling, Sakuya, Alice (in that order)

- I despise Youmu and love fighting Remis (most of the time).
- I'm generally only available to play between 1-5 days a month, so you'll rarely see me.
- I might pop in to the IRC from time to time, though. B-b-but don't get any ideas...!

...Oh, and if it's wasn't obvious from my skill level quote, I'm just kinda... mehish. Lots of bad habits that surface and switch randomly.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:03:43 PM by Sky »

« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2013, 12:18:11 AM »
hello i thought i might as well make myself known even though i'm a pitiful player

name: sol35
level of play: horrible
main: youmu
secondaries: anyone really
yeah i really do suck and i could never figure out how to use the number pad input

Sky

« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2013, 10:16:22 PM »
Can't say I've found a main in Soku yet, I enjoy Reisen, and so far Youmu, Cirno, and Suwako are fun. I'm not quite sure how I should build a deck, so I went 2-4 skill cards for each motion and 4 sacrificial dolls as I heard they are great, but deck building tips would be great.

Generally, you want to put a higher number of cards for the things you really want to have.
Like... if you really want Tengu Drum ASAP, you'd put 3-4 of them in. Some characters can really benefit from getting certain alts early in a match.

You really have to know when you'll be using your spellcards when adding them. For example, Aya's 1card is really cheap and useful for canceling things and continuing corner pressure, so it'd be good to have four of them. I wouldn't put four 5card Tornadoes in, though. I know that I can't land more than one of them in a match and that space would be better filled with extra Gust Fans for higher damage during combos.

I don't know. There's a lot to consider. You have my apologies if this doesn't help at all.
I was also told that Sacrificial Dolls were bad, so I haven't been using them. Can't really say anything about that one.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:19:07 PM by Sky »

Sanger Zonvolt

« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2013, 03:40:27 PM »
I don't know. There's a lot to consider. You have my apologies if this doesn't help at all.
I was also told that Sacrificial Dolls were bad, so I haven't been using them. Can't really say anything about that one.

I've also been told this and adjusted my deck accordingly, now using 4 of the best skill, 2 of a useful side skill, 3 bombs, 3 scarfs, 4 weak spell cards, 2 5-card spellcards, a penny, and a tengu fan(depending on the character), seems to work well so far.

I have a really hard time winning with Cirno, but with Youmu and especially Suika not so much.

Looking into finding a good deck build for Yukari, Remilia, and Tenshi.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:43:20 PM by Sanger Zonvolt »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »
Speaking of the penny, it doesn't seem to work for me. What is it supposed to do, exactly?

Sanger Zonvolt

« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »
Speaking of the penny, it doesn't seem to work for me. What is it supposed to do, exactly?

It pushes the opponent away on guard.

Sky

« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2013, 11:33:03 PM »
Looking into finding a good deck build for Yukari, Remilia, and Tenshi.
Don't know much about Yukari and Tenshi, but every Remi I've played includes 5card Dracula Cradle and 4card Spear.
Dracula Cradle seems to be very easy to confirm and does between 3000 and 5000 damage.
Spear seems to be used from just about anywhere (E.g. fullscreen Dial A -> 4card works) and can also be used during a blockstring (does two orbs of damage).

Alt. 214 (Chain Gang) seems to be quite common as well.
C version seems to be used during combos and as an approach while the B version seems to be used occasionally during a blockstring.

Other than that, I don't really remember seeing anything common.
Some run Ceiling Fear, some run Scarlet Devil, one ran Remilia Stretch (it was REALLY embarrassing when that one hit), etc etc.
Might be better off getting a Remi to talk to you about it.

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2013, 04:58:39 PM »
This might be a good topic of conversation! What kinds of decks does everyone run for their mains?

For my Patchouli I run:

Skills:
2x Summer Red - Basically for increased combo damage as I use this as my combo ender.
4x Dew Spear - I spam this in order to keep the opponent where I'd like to be. The higher the level, the more shards and the harder it hits, making it a bit more intimidating. Excellent for okizeme too.
4x Condensed Bubble - This really is my only defense against rushdown characters, and it hits hard as hell at higher levels.
2x Autumn Blade - I use this skill in pushback blockstrings for how long it lasts.

Spells:
1x Noachian Deluge, St Emlo's Pillar, Satellite Sunflower, Silent Selene, Royal Flare and Royal Diamond Ring - I like to run at least 1 of each useful card for how I play, this allows me to be a bit more flexible with my playstyle. This also means I don't fall into the habit of doing similar set-ups every time, it's all dependent on what I have at hand at the time which dictates how I use it. For instance, I may set up Royal Diamond Ring as okizeme or use it against an opponent who's mid air. I rarely combo into it. I almost always use Satellite Sunflower to control a large proportion of the map, or to keep an opponent cornered during Diamond Dust or if they do not tech.

System:
2x Divine Raiment of the Dragon Fish - As my playstyle doesn't have much of a way to react to blockstrings, apart from say BE -> j5c or any variation, I use these to turn the tables and restart my danmaku spam.

I do tend to swap things out if I find they're becoming dull to use or not being as effective as I'd like them to be, but most of my deck stays the same.

Sky

« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2013, 02:24:54 AM »

« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »
Let's see..

My Remilia deck:

Skills:
3x Demon Lord Walk - Good skill for punishing rushdown characters.
3x Demon Lord Cradle - Good combo finisher.
2x Ceiling Fear - I usually use this skill only for surprise attacks. I can't think of any combos that would work with this skill, except 2A 2C 22B

Spells:

2x  "Heart Break", Demon King Cradle, Red the Nightless Castle, Spear the Gungrir, Scarlet Devil and Dracula Cradle - The spear spells work really well with 6A. Demon King Cradle and Dracula Cradle are really easy to confirm and do nice damage. I use Scarlet Devil as a combo finisher.
Extra stages cleared : EoSD, PCB, PCB Phantasm, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC

Gray21oh

• An excuse for a title
  • This is suppose to be nonsensical except it isn't
« Reply #147 on: May 23, 2013, 03:38:18 PM »
Might shoot two birds and once with this response.

Name: Gray21oh (or Gray for short)
Play Level: Can hold out, although not well enough for top level play
Main: Suika
Secondaries: Reimu, Marisa, Yuyuko, Tenshi then whoever I feel like.

And for my Suika deck:
System
2 x Ibuki Gourd - I prefer to get my cards fast so I can try to assure myself of doing good
1 x Catfish's Great Earthquake - To be honest I dunno how to use this well, I suppose I could use it as a get away?

Skill
3 x Spectre -Dense- - Easy to get a combo in with
4 x Fire Oni - With how dense the attack is I found appealing, although I am pathetic trying to pull off the command for it.
3 x Ingus Fatuus - In the scenario I think I would need a barrage of things that are cluttered together.

Special
3 x Gather Sign "Throwing Mt. Togakushi" - I try to punish with this one, although It isn't really as resourceful as it is in IaMP
2 x Oni Sign "Missing Power" - Mostly to finish off a combo or something.
2 x Oni Sign "Massacre on Mt. Ore" - Similar usage to Gather Sign although a lot more risky, but I like taking risks.

Sky

« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2013, 03:08:50 AM »
Ahhhhhh, might as well. No use hiding my deck anyway.

Skill

4x Gust Fan - Because Gust Fan is used so often. The fact that L0 Gust Fan doesn't travel along the ground annoys the crap out of me, so I want it ASAP. And though I usually only get to use it in Sprinkle, L4 Gust Fan is hilarious and sneaky.

3x Tengu Drum - I really like Tengu Drum. It's quick, does good damage, can be used as a crossup, can be used in combos and aerial pressure, and it's quite satisfying when it hits. It has its downsides, sure, but it's a fun skill. Chose three cards to slightly increase the probability of getting to L2 quickly. L3 doesn't seem as important.

Spell

4x Demonic Beast "Wind Sickle Veiling" - Helps with maintaining pressure, very cheap, makes certain moves safer (Dom. Dash), our eco-friendly spellcard.

2x Wind Sign "Wind of the Tengu Path" - I've never really been fond of this particular spellcard, but I'm starting to come around. Good for maintaining pressure midscreen, so its actually kind of important (I think). Haven't actually used this yet since I only added it recently, but I've been seeing how other Ayas use it. ^^;

2x Whirl Sign "Maple Leaf Fan" - For quick, easy corner pressure/combos. Tengu Drum follow-up is also quite satisfying. Feels like Aya nailed a dismount or something.

2x Thrist Sign "Tengu's Macroburst" - I really don't know about this one anymore. It doesn't really seem to be a good pressure spellcard since it seems to be easy to just graze out. I usually just use it immediately after landing Tengu Drum for a little extra damage or occasionally to cover a blocked Domination Dash. People seem to like punishing DD, but don't really expect someone to burn a 3card to cover it (or they're just not aware that it can be used for that, IDK). I've tried to use it as a trap (like catching Remilia's j.6/8A or something), but it usually just feels more as a mild deterrent than an actual threat. Thinking of just replacing it with extras of the other spellcards.

2x Headwind "Route Forbidden to Man" - Because it's a great, easy-to-use spellcard. Could potentially do good damage, forces them into a corner, and puts a good amount of pressure on them to continue grazing or block and feel the wrath of the angry boulderwinds. Feels like it's a guaranteed orb break/forced BE if used correctly.

System

1x Divine Raiment - Just a random little surprise.

Many of my other decks are just small variations, either just changing my 22, adding certain system cards, or switching in Illusionary Dominance (I only really use it during blockstrings or after confirming with Dom. Dash) and/or 5card Tornado (I'm bad at landing it, so I mostly just hold it as a deterrent; sometimes people make larger gaps in their blockstrings if they notice that you're holding it).

Also, Fire Oni is downright evil!

Sanger Zonvolt

« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2013, 09:10:29 AM »
I'll be playing HM netplay tomorrow if anyone is interested.  :derp: