Author Topic: So I just preordered Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love  (Read 5825 times)

Apotheosis

• Pop-tarts please!!!
  • MOM WHERE'S MY POP-TARTS?????
So I just preordered Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:03:24 PM »
I was in gamestop today, selling off a few games I didn't want (Mercenaries 1, Black, Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2009 [don't ask]) when mention to the cashier that I was waiting for a game to come in.
"Oh, yeah? Which one?"
"Some Japanese thing called Sakura Wars."
"Oh? Well, it comes out in March. Wanna preorder it?"
Well, I had a few bucks to spare, so I said "OK".

It seems kinda interesting to me, even if (from what I understand) it's basically a dating sim masquerading as a mecha-fighting RPG sort of thing.

Any other opinions? Anything I should know before taking the plunge? Anyone else waiting for it to come out? Please, someone, validate my fiver.
The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr - Mohammed

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: So I just preordered Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:05:20 PM »
In before Ruro.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 11:48:55 PM »
It'll be a riot or two to play, That is at least guaranteed.

Its a shame the Voices seem to be hitting in the middle of fail or win at the moment.

Reminds me I'm obligated to try and buy this if I have time, though. Thanks. :V

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 01:01:18 AM »
In before Ruro.

Dod gucking fammit >:(

Also, the Sakura Wars series is excellent and everyone should play it.

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 03:54:29 AM »
Also, the Sakura Wars series is excellent and everyone should play it.

I will not.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 06:08:01 AM »
Oh hey, it comes out in April here...

... ... ...

* Moerin pre-orders.

...I have a suspicion that Ruro would murder me if I didn't do so.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 08:51:04 AM »
Oh, dammit. Why do I always have to see people talking about games I'll never be able to pla-
Oh hey, it comes out in April here...
wait what

Consider me thoroughly intrigued. Besides the obvious question of WHY THE HELL IS NOBUNAGA IN NEW YORK

IN 1928

Also 'Jap dub on PS2 Premium only' is D:

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 09:01:42 AM »
I'm getting this when it comes out. Guess who influenced me to support the series? :V

Also:

'Jap dub on PS2 Premium only' is D:

I mean, I guess it's because that would involve porting all the Japanese onto the Wii since it's obviously already on a PS2 disk, but ;_;. Dub voice actors in video games are just no.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 11:02:51 AM »
Sakura Taisen V, which this is a localization of, is one of the more solid Sakura Taisen titles, one I can't say the same for for prior ones (*coughst3cough*). The plot is absolutely wack, in a good way, that is, can't say the same for the prior ones in comparison, heh.

I'd think your money was wellspent, but that entirely depends on your gaming taste.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 03:10:17 PM »
What I've been worried about is what I've heard of the localization team. Something about doing a public apology for one of their last translations? The fact that this game was originally set to come out at the end of September and has been continually pushed back is promising though.

But yes, from what I've been fed, this sounds like quite a fun game.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 07:39:44 AM »
What I've been worried about is what I've heard of the localization team. Something about doing a public apology for one of their last translations? The fact that this game was originally set to come out at the end of September and has been continually pushed back is promising though.

But yes, from what I've been fed, this sounds like quite a fun game.

The AT2 localization was calamitous for their reputation. With good reason.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 04:59:41 PM »
Well I haven't seen the original games but the show based off of them was one of the first few anime series I've watched. Since I really did quite like the show, I'd presume the games would be even better as they're the originating product.

In fact it really is curious that they'd license the anime before the games, as you'd kind of expect a spin-off series to be rather unsuccessful without its franchise power. Since one of the games is coming out though, I'd presume such isn't the case though. I'm a bit intrigued by the opportunity but at the same time, it's coming a bit too late for me, since I'm largely uninterested in things I cannot serialize from the beginning.

I can't really say much about the plot without spoiling it but Sakura herself, is kinda like what it would be like if Reimu and Youmu fused then started piloting a magitek armor. Okay, perhaps she's not quite as powerful as that but otherwise I'd say it's a pretty accurate description. I wonder if she'd even be in this game though, since material I've seen suggests that the series doesn't only use one setting...?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:02:24 PM by Tonepoet »

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 05:28:28 PM »
In fact it really is curious that they'd license the anime before the games, as you'd kind of expect a spin-off series to be rather unsuccessful without its franchise power.

The Sakura Taisen fanbase has been asking this question since the 90's, believe me (thanks to the Sega Saturn version's wild popularity). I guess with the release of So Long, My Love (which is actually the fifth game in the series; they're not intending to release an English-language port of the first four, sadly) I can no longer say that it's an example of "no exports for you". Granted, Sakura Taisen V has a somewhat independent storyline from the previous four, so it should make sense in its own right without having to refer to the first four.

In any case, the Sakura Taisen canon is really fucking weird. There's the original games, of course, and there are also at least four OVAs (Gouka Kenran and the like), spin-off games, an anime, a movie, a manga series, several live-action musicals, one TWO eight-disc compilations of music from the series (something like 17 hours' worth of music, because Kouhei Tanaka is a god), and hell, even a restaurant. Each and every one of them is canon, too. And they all contradict each other in many respects (the anime compared to the games comes to mind), so you actually have to identify which canon you're using in fanworks or references.

In any case; of that list, the anime, manga, and the OAVs have made it stateside. The rest (namely, the games) remain unexported. Which is... odd, to say the least.

Okay, perhaps she's not quite as powerful as that but otherwise I'd say it's a pretty accurate description. I wonder if she'd even be in this game though, since material I've seen suggests that the series doesn't only use one setting...?

Actually, the original Sega Saturn version (not the PS2 remake) of the first game had Sakura with a special attack that had infinite range. :V The only part that sets her apart from Raymoo is that she's not terribly religious the way a shinto miko should be. The comparison to Youmu is much closer. (Kazuma as Yuyuko!)

And if you don't want to spoil yourself, don't watch this, but even though Sakura doesn't show up in in Sakura Taisen V*, Gemini can use her signature attack, the Ouka Houshin.

*Except she shows up and sings Subete ha Umi He with Ratchet Altair in one of the New York Revue live-action shows, so eh.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
In any case; of that list, the anime, manga, and the OAVs have made it stateside. The rest (namely, the games) remain unexported. Which is... odd, to say the least.

Odd, but not without peer.

Let us commiserate with each other over a lack of stateside games. :(
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 03:41:04 AM »
my vision of Sakura Wars are dented since the 2nd game, never played 3rd but I have its design and sketch book which is signed by the VA for Coqueliqot (that loli who remarkably reminds me of TSO's Iji design)

I don't think I wanna touch the rest of the series, I am just in for the musicals and music.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Apotheosis

• Pop-tarts please!!!
  • MOM WHERE'S MY POP-TARTS?????
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 07:42:51 PM »
BTW, my sources tell me the game is out 3/23.
The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr - Mohammed