Author Topic: In which we return to Inaba [Persona 4]  (Read 9129 times)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Re: In which we return to Inaba [Persona 4]
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »
[Fightest?s note: thanks for making me feel like a total jerk, game. This won?t be the only time, either.]
no, no it will not :ohdear:

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 08:15:01 PM »
Day 148, September 4th, 2011.

Souji remembers the strange old woman?s invitation to visit her and goes to find her on the riverbank.

Hisano, that was her name. She keeps telling me that I look like her late husband, which isn?t a creepy way to keep a conversation going at all.

Hisano asks Souji if he thinks that she looks like Death. Souji reassures her that she does not. Hisano notes that, indeed, one should not become Death.

And I?ve still met stranger. This particular brand, however, is sitting unnervingly close to me.

Fightest

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 08:15:22 PM »
Day 149, September 5th, 2011.

Souji overhears students talking at the front gate on the way to school. To them, the recent murders are a bygone memory, with the school trip to look forward to on Thursday.

We learn about haiku from Mr. Hosoi today, and words and structures that they use. If I never hear the word sardine again, I will live a long and happy life.

After school, Souji goes to the roof to follow up on Chie?s request that lunchtime.

Seriously, everyone was after me today, like I?m going out of fashion. Wait. Am I going out of fashion, Narrator?

Like always, Souji and Chie go to their usual spot on the riverbank for their training. Chie tells Souji that there has been something on her mind for a long time.

Don?t strain yourself, Chie. Zing!

god i hope i didn?t say that out loud

Chie confesses to still not knowing her positive qualities, but is eager to keep searching for her true self, fighting alongside Souji all the way.

I couldn?t ask for a better ally, Chie.

Chie gives Souji a pair of wristbands to commemorate their friendship, to match hers. She explains that her power ? the power to protect those around her ? is something she had wanted all along. This power, she believes, is not to become self-reliant, but to stand close to her friends and loved ones.

Something different happens. It seems that Chie has completely overcome her failings, and, for lack of a better word, unlocked her true power.

Chie?s Persona, Tomoe, transfigures into Suzuka Gongen.

And with that, Chie?s Social Link maxes out. The voice explains to me that I have forged a genuine bond, bringing me closer to the truth that I am looking for, and granting me the power to forge Futsunushi, the Divine Sword.

Her mind and body tired from today?s revelation, Chie takes Souji on a meat-eater?s tour of Inaba. The two part ways as evening comes.

Fightest

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 09:05:10 PM »
Day 150, September 6th, 2011.

Souji returns to Drama club after school. Yumi warns him that she might not be able to attend and, indeed, practice finishes without her ever showing up.

She?s probably at the hospital. I head on over ? I wonder how her father is doing. Judging by Yumi?s reaction, she still hasn?t come to terms with him.

Yumi, distractedly, admits that she stopped by because she had medicine to pick up for her mother.

Apparently her father is trying to be quite fatherly to her, and Yumi has no idea how to react.

Yumi, losing control of herself, asks why it has to be her that has to endure such hardship.

She needs to come to a full understanding of her situation if she is to come through this. I remind her that she is not the only one with difficulties.

Yumi, still confused, parts with Souji on account of having to deliver medicine to her mother.

That evening, I manage to drag some more conversation out of Dojima. We?re in the middle of something unimportant when Nanako comes over. Apparently Dojima is falling behind on his reading-to-Nanako-before-bed quota.

Dojima agrees, to Nanako?s adulation.

Except it?s never that easy for Dojima. A call comes in then from the same guy who called him earlier about Dojima?s wife?s case. Dojima has no choice but go. Nanako is, understandably, not pleased. I ask a? pointed question, and Dojima admits that no, the call is not more important than Nanako.

Nanako, confused, tells Dojima that he can go, but Dojima assures her that he will spend the evening with her.

Later that evening, after Nanako went to sleep, Dojima and I sit down for a serious chat. Apparently the call came in telling Dojima that nothing came up that the police didn?t know already.

Dojima tells the details of the case ? the car was a white sedan, likely foreign that, by now, would most likely be long gone out of the country. Dojima admits his fear of never being able to catch the perpetrator and to have to carry his burden for the rest of his life.

Nanako looking so much like her mother weighs him down even more. Still, he admits that he?s got to face himself sooner or later. I am ready to offer help should he need it.

Fightest

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 09:05:36 PM »
Day 151, September 7th, 2011.

Souji meets Kanji and Yosuke on the way to school. Kanji is excited to go on the trip, while Yosuke is dismissive of the event.

Kanji raises an interesting point. I wonder if they have as much coverage of the murders over where we?re going? Probably. This is much more exciting than anything that could have happened there.

Kanji is unhappy with the media?s persistence in furthering the image of Mitsuo Kubo being a born criminal. Despite the boy?s wrongdoings, Kanji has come to realize how untruthful and damaging rumours can be.

Naoto comes up and looks about ready to join the conversation when Kanji runs like the clappers. Something left over from when he hung out with Naoto just before he was kidnapped?

After school, Souji finds Kanji.

Might learn something about that morning. Probably won?t, but no harm in trying.

The two boys go to the riverbank, Kanji still worried about the rabbit that the boy from before had thrown away. However, Kanji has no time to ponder the situation as the boy, in the flesh, runs up to Kanji to thank him profusely for the gifted dolls. He also requests that Kanji make more dolls for his and a girl?s mother, offering that Kanji be paid for the service.

See? Told you so.

The boy asks for a cat, a dog and a pink alligator.

A pink alligator? There was a children?s book about that, wasn?t there? Wonder how its author?s doing, I heard it was quite popular.

Kanji is unsure how to feel on the matter, sharing an experience from primary school, where he was made fun of for fixing a girl?s bag. He realizes that it was not because he did something wrong that the girl was made to cry.

Turns out he?s happy after all.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 01:00:45 AM »
Spoiler:
AKINARI! ;-;

I'm glad you're still doing this.  I like the way you set it up with the narration and Souji. :3

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Fightest

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 08:18:17 PM »
Day 152, September 8th, 2011.

The school trip starts today, and Souji gets up early to make sure he is on time.

The journey itself was just about uneventful. Most of us were half-asleep, and, before we realized it, we were at Gekkoukan High School, where we got dropped off.

The students are impressed with the size of the modern school building, Yosuke getting particularly discouraged. The principal of Gekkoukan presents a lengthy speech and explains that the school?s students will lead the field trip on a tour.

A sharp-looking student welcomes us on behalf of the student council, or somesuch. Her name?s Chihiro Fushimi. I wonder why she has a portrait, surely she can?t be that important, although her introductory speech is very well-presented.

The boys in Souji?s group are struck by Chihiro?s looks. Chie is unimpressed.

Then we divide up into groups. We ? that is, the investigation team ? get talking with Chihiro. Apparently she got help with her speech from a previous council president. We don?t even have a school council, just a group of detective-wannabe misfits that fight unearthly creatures in a bizarre realm with powers of the inner psyche. Worlds apart, I tells ya.

Souji?s group is scheduled for a special lecture on Qabbalah.

No, Kanji, not baccarat. Or cabaret, for that matter.

The group, somewhat displeased at their lack of free time for the day, head to the class, where a teacher called Edogawa explains that, while Qabbalah might have been interesting, he will tell a story more relevant to the Inaba region.

It?s the story of Izanagi and Izanami. It?s a classic formula ? boy meets girl, girl dies while giving birth to fire itself, boy goes to the underworld to rescue girl, girl agrees but asks boy to wait, boy becomes impatient and lights a fire to see better, girl turns out to be zombie goddess of death and vermin. Standard stuff, see it in every story, really ? Orpheus and Euridice, Gilgamesh and Enkidu.

Hold on, my first persona?s called Izanagi.

Nah, probably unimportant.

The lecture ends with the ringing of the school bell, and, later that evening, the Yasogami school group gathers in front of their? hotel.

There?s? a lot of pink neon. Rise, you?ve been around this place, what?s your take on it?

Yosuke interrupts the blushing Rise before she begins her explanation. Meanwhile, a shadowy figure stalks the group?

It?s Teddie, putting on his best supervillain act. He needs to practice his dramatic swoops, however ? he ends up in the garbage heap.

Teddie explains that he had gotten lonely without the group, and, unlikely as it may be, he took the train to catch up to them.

After some banter, we decide to ditch the factory tour and have Rise show us around the island.

As the group awkwardly shuffles into the strange hotel, Souji waits outside to try to decide how to deal with Teddie.

He did go out of his way to come here. Guy?s pretty devoted, that?s certain. The Star Link grows in response. Still no idea what to do with Teddie.

Fightest

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 08:19:42 PM »
Day 153, September 9th, 2011.

On the second day of the school trip, Rise fulfils her promise of showing the group around the island and, towards the evening, they visit the Club Escapade at the island illustrious Paulownia Mall.

Everyone?s all impressed by the shiny lights, so nobody sees Naoto until he?s right on top of us.

Naoto questions the legality of underage school students visiting an establishment such as this club, but quickly backs down and readies to leave.

Chie and Yukiko invite him to come along. With some prodding from Rise he caves, and we all pile into the private area Rise booked for us by pulling some strings. Kanji?s been acting very suspect since Naoto showed up, just like back when. Hm.

The group arrange themselves comfortably in the private room, and drinks are provided. Rise explains that the entire evening is free due to a favour that the establishment owes her.

Apparently the power blew out unexpectedly two years back. Yeah, if only we could have such normal problems these days.

Teddie and, soon Yukiko as well, appear unduly amused by each other?s jokes, arousing suspicion from the rest of the group. Yosuke questions the content of their drinks, and a red-faced Rise, hiccupping, assures him that she ordered non-alcoholic beverages. Before Kanji can object, Rise declares King?s Game.

Something that, allegedly, adults play by law, according to Rise. I? don?t think we should trust Rise while she?s in this state.

Rise complains about parties at her work no doubt getting more entertaining once the children have left for their homes and tasks Kanji with getting chopsticks ready. Rules are then explained.

One chopstick makes a person the, uh, King, the rest have numbers on them. The King is then supposed to give an order to a number ? without knowing who has what number - and the person with that number on their chopstick have to carry out the order. This will not end well. Also how do you know about these things Yukiko?

With Rise encouraging, chopsticks are pulled. Teddie learns that he is the King.

And asks for a, and I quote, ?smooch? from number three. Number three is Kanji.

With encouragement from Yukiko, Teddie pounces on Kanji. Kanji?s cries for help are ignored.

Which moves us swiftly on to round two.

Souji warily pulls a chopstick, finding that it has a red mark ? the King?s mark ? on it.

And I am apparently obligated to do something more extreme than the previous King. This is a terrible monarchy. I demand a people?s revolt!

Rise and Yukiko suggest increasingly risqu? orders to Souji.

Okay. Okay. Three girls, two guys, but one of them is Naoto. That?s a three-in-five chance of me just blatantly ending up taking advantage, a one-in-five chance that I end up doing weird things with an underclassman. Yosuke, you?re my only chance at salvation! Karma, don?t fail me now!

Souji orders that number four get a piggyback ride. Number four turns out to be Yosuke.

Sorry, man. It?s for the greater good.

Once Souji and Yosuke have suffered enough for the rest of the group?s amusement, Yukiko?s urging becomes more and more involved. She demands that Naoto reveal embarrassing secrets. Despite Yosuke protests, and to the surprise of the rest of the group, Naoto agrees, offering to take the opportunity to talk about his life.

Naoto explains that his is a family of consulting detectives who offer their help to the police. This help was invaluable during the time when crime scene investigators were rare, and so Naoto?s grandfather has a lot of pull.

Naoto continues to elaborate that it is expected of an investigator to be well versed in science and medicine, and thus he is obliged to further his studies. Apologising for the lack of a punchline, Naoto ends his story, and asks, in return, the group reveal their true involvement with the murder case.

Would you believe that Yukiko spills the beans straight up? TV-jumping, Persona-summoning, Shadow-beating, the works. Still, the situation works to our advantage ? Naoto doesn?t believe a word of it, and is quite angry, actually.

Resigning himself to not receiving a satisfactory answer, Naoto wonders how Yukiko, Teddie and Rise have managed to become so inebriated, considering that no alcohol had been served at the club since last year?s rash of drunk driving.

Can one get drunk off? atmosphere? If it?s oversaturated with oxygen, maybe. Another answer is that those three are bat-crazy. But we knew that already. I?ll let Naoto have the last word of the evening.

* Image courtesy of lparchive.org

Fightest

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »
Day 154, September 10th, 2011.

On the last day of the school trip, the investigation team uses their free time to visit a renowned Ramen restaurant. Yukiko has trouble remember what transpired last night. Rise shares a similar experience.

Lightweights. Learn to hold your? orange juice.

Everyone praises the quality of the ramen, Teddie eagerly ordering seconds. Yosuke wonders if Rise?s being out in the open would cause issues, but Rise tells him not to worry ? the restaurant is known for its famous patronage and its discretion.

When everyone looks down from examining the autographs, Yukiko?s bowl is gone. All looks are drawn to the the trying-his-best-to-look-innocent bear in the room.

It is discovered that Teddie had been ordering and eating a very large amount of ramen.

Naoto reminds us that it is near time to return, so we start heading off. Except that Teddie isn?t following us.

The group urges Teddie to get up, but he does not move, sitting stock-still and not saying a word.

Everybody?s worried, but no, Teddie just overate and can?t move. Yukiko says to leave him behind. Who am I to say no to a lady?

The group say their solemn last goodbyes to the immobile Teddie and return to the rendezvous point.

Fightest

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 07:22:30 PM »
Day 155, September 11th, 2011.

Souji goes to the riverbank to, in his morbid curiousity, talk to Hisano again.

Right off the bat ? right off the bat ? she says I surprised her because I look like her dead husband. And now I am to sit next to her and help her reminisce about her youth.

Hisano explains that she was born in Inaba and her husband was a part of a travelling actor troupe. Her husband was a boy then, and she a girl, and he was her first love.

They only got together once a year. Because that?s how often the troupe visited. Now, I do understand that they didn?t have the luxury of mass communication back then. Still. You?d think they?d figure out letters, or something.

The story continues, Hisano revealing that the boy eventually left his acting career to come and marry her, paying for their livelihood by working in the fields. With a sigh, she expresses her sole wish to be by her husband?s side again.

She thinks that she?s going to Hell for some reason, and thus will never see her husband again.

After spending some more time at the riverbank, Hisano goes home. Souji does the same soon thereafter.

Fightest

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2011, 07:39:14 PM »
Day 156, September 12th, 2011.

During lunch break, Souji shares the lunch he had made the day before with Rise. Rise expresses the highest of praise.

Kashiwagi tells us about salmon in class today, of all things. Its red pigment is apparently from the shellfish that it eats, and that it is actually a white fish. Who?d have thought I?d learn something from Kashiwagi, of all people?

After school, Souji goes to his work at the daycare centre.

And, of course, there?s trouble again with the Yuuta kid. I can tell Eri is fed up ? she just asks him once and leaves when he says that he?s not going.

Souji spends some time with Yuuta and then walks the boy home. The two see Eri sitting in the gazebo on the riverbank.

I tell the kid to go apologize.

Yuuta says that Eri hates him, and he feels sorry for the woman?s obligation of taking care of him.

Honestly, I?m a bit fed up with him as well. I tell him to not be such a brat all the time.

Souji walks up to Eri to try to start a conversation going, but Eri comes out with her own pity for Yuuta, saying that the boy will soon forget his father?s face. She thanks Souji for keeping Yuuta happy at the day-care centre.

Oy, vey.

That evening, Souji and Nanako watch the news, who are presenting a report on Naoto Shirogane?s efforts to capture Mitsuo Kubo, along with an interview with the boy himself.

Curious. Naoto never struck me as the televised type. I wonder if he?s planning something.

In the interview, Naoto explains his misgivings about the case?s resolution, admitting Mitsuo Kubo as Morooka?s killer, but suggests details out of place regarding his connection to the other murders. Naoto declines further comment, but believes the matter is to be taken with the utmost seriousness.

Day 157, September 13th, 2011.

On his way to school, Souji meets the rest of the investigation team, who discuss Naoto?s appearing on television the previous evening.

Chie shares my suspicion ? he?s really not the type to go for the spotlight.

Further talk is halted when Naoto comes by, requesting the group?s presence in a discussion about the case. He presents his findings first: all victims were kidnapped before they were murdered and all victims were locals that had become well-known due to media attention.

I agree. There?s no point hiding it.

Naoto then suggests that members of Souji?s investigation team fit these circumstances ? Yukiko, Kanji and Rise all disappeared shortly after being shown on television. Naoto admits that he believed at one point that one of the investigation team was the culprit, but had, since then, had reversed the theory.

He?s come to the conclusion that we?re the only people with the ability to actually pursue the culprit. What can I say, the kid?s good. But he can?t prove anything, so it?s all circumstantial evidence.

Naoto turns the conversation to the murder of Morooka, which is entirely unlike the other two. The investigation had been brought to a close using this murder as evidence due to the police being in a hurry to close the case. He then states that further action is required to clarify matters and that, whatever the outcome of this further action, the evidence should become clear.

He knows about the television-kidnapping-murder cycle. He wants more evidence. He appeared on television yesterday. I?ve got a bad feeling about this.

Unable to confirm or deny his suspicions, Souji finishes the school day. He bumps into Yukiko on the way downstairs.

We get talking and somehow end up at the shrine again. She apparently wants to pay her respects.

Yukiko asks if Souji is going to make a wish.

I do wish Yukiko the best in whatever she wants to do with her life. I tell her as much.

Yukiko wishes for everyone?s health ? for her friends and for everyone at the Amagi Inn, and to become a worthy woman.

Yukiko breaks the prayer?s silence ? she?s decided not to leave Inaba. She?s found out for herself that she wasn?t actually against being the inn?s manager ? it was being forced into the job that was grating against her.

Yukiko believes that this discomfort is what urged her to leave the city, but, now, she wishes to protect the family inn to the best of her abilities. Yukiko thanks Souji for helping her realize this.

Yukiko is radiating a determination and maturity I?ve never seen from her before. Not even the threat of death is going to stop her from achieving her goals.

Yukiko is curious why Souji has been so supportive of her, her blush betraying her mindset.

As much as I am tempted, Yukiko needs a supportive friend far more than she needs a proverbial man in her life.

Somewhat flustered at Souji?s response, Yukiko excuses herself with having to run an errand.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:08:28 PM by Fightest »

Fightest

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »
Day 158, September 14th, 2011.

Souji, having recently completed an ema assignment, visits the Fox to inform him of the good news.

If you count being badmouthed by a girl for three days straight as I try to teach her to speak better an ?assignment.?

That evening, Souji investigates the contents of the fridge in preparation for that night?s Midnight Channel.

I found a mushroom! Hold on, aren?t these things not supposed to grow in the cold?

Feeling an odd itching sensation, Souji retreats to his room. The Midnight Channel comes on to show a hazy silhouette of a person that Souji feels he has seen before.

Take down the banners. I think the case is back on.

Yosuke calls, wondering if they need to worry about the Midnight Channel?s warning. He says that he does not understand the nature of the Midnight Channel and its true connection to the murders.

I guide Yosuke back on track by venturing that the figure on the TV was Naoto.

Yosuke agrees that it is a possibility, but suggests they wait until tomorrow to discuss the matter.

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2011, 06:02:51 AM »
september 13: the investigation team discusses Naoto?s appearing on television the previous evening
september 14: Naoto appears on television
???

Fightest

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2011, 07:09:34 AM »
???

September 12th Naoto appears on an honest-to-goodness interview on real broadcast TV

September 14th A figure resembling Naoto is seen on the Midnight Channel.

My apologies if this is unclear.

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2011, 10:26:37 PM »
Ah. You skipped the September 12 update, though, it seems.

Fightest

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2011, 11:40:55 AM »
Ah. You skipped the September 12 update, though, it seems.

Oh crap, you're right. Will fix asap.

[edit] Fixed and shoehorned into the september 13th post.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:09:14 PM by Fightest »

Fightest

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 06:54:28 PM »
[Fightest's note: I'm finding myself dangerously close to burning out on this, so I will take a break for about a week. This means that I will abandon all hope at ever catching up to real-time, but at least this thing will get done.]

Day 159, September 15th, 2011.

The investigation team gathers after school to discuss the contents of the Midnight Channel.

Everybody is still in denial, but Yosuke had the good sense to check with Teddie ? there?s nobody inside the TV just yet.

Kanji suggests that the group not worry themselves with the matter, and ignore Naoto?s cryptic comments from the other day.

Kanji is a bit hung up on Naoto?s words, however. Yosuke eggs him on. Like a matador baiting a bull.

Rise is curious about what has transpired between Kanji and Naoto, but the conversation is hastily turned in the direction of the odd atmosphere around Inaba.

Yukiko thinks it?s a bit weird how everyone?s talking about other people and not themselves, but Chie and Rise say it?s all normal. Yukiko isn?t convinced.

The group decides to check the Midnight Channel that night anyway, just in case.

I do just that. As I feared, we?re back to where we started.

The Midnight Channel shows a vivid image of an operating theatre. Naoto presents an experiment to the audience, claiming it is the experiment of the century. He explains that he is both experimentor and experimentee in a forbidden bodily alteration process.

Definitely Naoto. Kanji?s worried, and for good reason ? this just about confirms that Naoto?s been thrown into the TV. I tell him to calm down, it?s not our first time at the rodeo, after all.

Kanji and Souji agree to discuss the case after school.