Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou discussion thread #2  (Read 222460 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Labyrinth of Touhou discussion thread #2
« Reply #780 on: February 07, 2010, 05:42:37 PM »
Jaimers, the magic library is ESSENTIAL. Later on in the game (as in where I am now), you can raise a characters's magic by 1000 for only about 5000 skill points (which to about 5 battles worth of skill points) if you forgot to raise it much throughout the game.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #781 on: February 07, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »
To be honest, I have barely been using the magic library.  :V
I'm a bit paranoid about losing skill points it seems.
You won't get far with that mindset :X

You really, REALLY need to spend them. Don't worry, even if you mess up, the points you spend now will be a trivial amount once you go up a few floors. The stat boost you get is anything BUT trivial.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #782 on: February 07, 2010, 06:03:55 PM »
Jaimers, the magic library is ESSENTIAL.

I am at the end of the plus disk and skill levels let me pwn foes I should be level 800+ or so to pwn, but I was only level 370-ish for Reimu. Me having insane Skill Levels made up for more then 400 actually levels :V At my point, if I give Patchy about 100 Skill levels in DEF, she gains like 5000-6000 DEF, not much DEF compared to chars like Meiling, but every point helps keep Patchy alive ;D

Skill points are Infinate as well Jaimers, if you don't want to spend cause you think the game put a limit on how many you can spend, then don't worry. You can spend as you please and their is no penalty, the worst that could happen is that you might invest in a chars useless/not needed stat, like Remi's MAG or Patchy's ATK, that or you might run low on Skill Points, but you can always get more.

Edit:
BTW mystic, wtf is your skill levels so high, did you cheat to raise them? or did you just grind over and over and for some reason chose NOT to level up regular-style

I used cheat engine to get tons of skill points... I kinda regret doing so but I was at a point that was "I can either spend a lot of time grinding my butt off and probly add like 10 more hours to my file, or I can use cheat engine to give myself like 50 levels and a lot of skill points... *after about 15 minutes of considering and 3 deaths to
Spoiler:
Sikieiki
* Thats it! Cheat engine time" and thus, I gave myself roughly 50-60 levels, like 35 Gold Cloth and I think... 200 Million Skp... a 200M that due to me going rambo, I refilled whenever it got low. I ended up boosting most char that I use to about Lv 260+ in Elemental Affinity's, and the upper hundreds in stats.

Say what you will about me, but I was tired of the Disgaea-like grind-wall with no Disgaea-like grind method. I only used cheat engine when I lost numerous times to a certain boss that I spoiler-marked, I beat the game fair-and-square, without cheat engine.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 06:16:22 PM by MystearicaUtsuho »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #783 on: February 07, 2010, 06:35:53 PM »
Edit:
I used cheat engine to get tons of skill points... I kinda regret doing so but I was at a point that was "I can either spend a lot of time grinding my butt off and probly add like 10 more hours to my file, or I can use cheat engine to give myself like 50 levels and a lot of skill points... *after about 15 minutes of considering and 3 deaths to
Spoiler:
Sikieiki
* Thats it! Cheat engine time" and thus, I gave myself roughly 50-60 levels, like 35 Gold Cloth and I think... 200 Million Skp... a 200M that due to me going rambo, I refilled whenever it got low. I ended up boosting most char that I use to about Lv 260+ in Elemental Affinity's, and the upper hundreds in stats.

Say what you will about me, but I was tired of the Disgaea-like grind-wall with no Disgaea-like grind method. I only used cheat engine when I lost numerous times to a certain boss that I spoiler-marked, I beat the game fair-and-square, without cheat engine.
Well you can at least TELL us you did that instead of just going "Oh I beat the secret final boss like 350 levels lower then should be possible" :X

Anyway, finally at the final boss again on my second playthrough. 10 hours faster then last time, whee :3

Lv124 Reimu, hoping to beat the boss at lv130~135 this time.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 06:37:33 PM by NeoGenesis »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #784 on: February 07, 2010, 07:03:15 PM »
Well you can at least TELL us you did that

I did just tell you tough :V

Does anyone have the link to version 2.06?

« Reply #785 on: February 07, 2010, 07:05:17 PM »
After being away and not being able to play for two days, today has been a time of progress. Beat up floor 7 boss thing (sacrificing three weaker characters to the first attack, so that I could have my tank people at full health for the second one), explored the entirety of floors 8 and 9, and recruited
Spoiler:
Komachi
Spoiler:
Suwako
, and
Spoiler:
Ran
. Ran into
Spoiler:
Nitori
once and lost, but apart from her 1-hit-KO laser she doesn't seem that bad. I'll try fighting her again once I have started exploring floor 10 a bit.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #786 on: February 07, 2010, 07:12:32 PM »
I did just tell you tough :V

Does anyone have the link to version 2.06?
For people who want the delicious Level-Up Cursor Memory, here is a link to the 2.06 patch. Or also, if you want the New Game+ feature.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DA1DGQZC

Rename the thLaby.exe in this folder to thLaby2.06.exe or something, and copy all this into your game folder, minus the save file.

Whenever you need to level up a single character a ton, start 2.06 so you don't have to scroll down to the correct Level-Up bonus each time, saving a HUUUUGE amount of time for you since now you just spam Z a bunch.

I recommend against actually using 2.06 for casual play however, because of bugs and glitches. The only significant changes anyway are this, Nitori's Megawatt is much stronger, and there is a New Game+ function (Which you can probably activate in 2.06 and then play in 2.04)
There you go~

Activate New Game+ by hitting new game and then it asks you some questions after the cutscene or something. I might try out New Game+ without carrying over anything except character unlocks, so its still actually like playing the game, I just can use Plus-Disk characters and such <3

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #787 on: February 07, 2010, 09:19:27 PM »
There you go~

Activate New Game+ by hitting new game and then it asks you some questions after the cutscene or something. I might try out New Game+ without carrying over anything except character unlocks, so its still actually like playing the game, I just can use Plus-Disk characters and such <3

That's what I plan to do once I start another 2nd game. I noticed my 2nd game was harder than my first because my goal for my 2nd was to pick a party based on who I left out on my first game. On my first game, I might not have known everything about the game, but I still chose my party members semi-wisely. Like I'd snag a character who excelled that which my overall party was lacking, etc. I think I'll try to do a mixture of both for my 3rd, made easier by being able to choose whoever.

semi-early game will be pretty tough though probably since many of the late game characters don't have cheap spells.

nintendonut888

« Reply #788 on: February 07, 2010, 09:20:27 PM »
What the hell is with Great Stamp? Nothing seems to work against this guy! And of course, if I lower his speed, he uses his lol total party OHKO move. There's getting to be less and less of floor 16 I can explore without defeating him, so I can't just put him off forever.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #789 on: February 07, 2010, 09:24:31 PM »
I used the link, downloaded the game, try to run it... and it fails on me epicly.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #790 on: February 07, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
What the hell is with Great Stamp? Nothing seems to work against this guy! And of course, if I lower his speed, he uses his lol total party OHKO move. There's getting to be less and less of floor 16 I can explore without defeating him, so I can't just put him off forever.
Debuff SPD = Game Over.
Just keep debuffing ATK and you should be able to survive without anybody getting KO'd.

Also, 18F shenanigans.
Spoiler:
Seems to be immune to Statuses and Debuffs
. More experimentation!
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #791 on: February 07, 2010, 09:25:05 PM »

Lots of people have problems with that boss. I personally found it the easiest of the 3, the other 2 being
Spoiler:
yukari and flandre
, but it was still definately the first major grind time for me in the game. After you beat them, the home stretch is excellent...minus that bs cosmic boss.

Debuff SPD = Game Over.
Just keep debuffing ATK and you should be able to survive without anybody getting KO'd.

Also, 18F shenanigans.
Spoiler:
. More experimentation!

Seems like every boss is immune to statuses for me.. I'm serious, I don't know why people always mention them. I used Alice on like every fight in my first playthru, and there were a grand total of like 3 bosses where they worked on, wooot. I must have terrible luck with them or something.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:26:46 PM by Ghaleon »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #792 on: February 07, 2010, 09:31:49 PM »
Also, 18F shenanigans.
Spoiler:
. More experimentation!
Sure is.
Spoiler:
The Fire Form is the least dangerous and has no status afflicting moves, try to keep attacking everything else but just heal and focus on that one.

Keep in mind each form is weak to something, WND is weak to NTR and vice versa, FIR-CLD, MYS-SPI.

The SPI form can cause DTH status but thankfully you should just need one Master Spark to kill it.

Once you reach his last phase, Nuke it. Quickly. With anyone you have, and that sure better include an optimal Master Spark.

Other then that, 18F boss isn't too hard, just keep defense buffs up and have 2~3 tanking characters. I used Meiling/Remi/16F out on the first 3 slots the entire battle and it worked wonders, never switched out Meiling or Remi and only switched 16F out once or twice.

I used the link, downloaded the game, try to run it... and it fails on me epicly.

EDIT:ASDghsdfghsdf forgot to finish my post wait a second

Okay, move EVERYTHING in that 2.06 into the main game folder. Everything except the save folder. As long as you rename the 2.06 exe, nothing bad will happen from doing this.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:33:37 PM by NeoGenesis »

nintendonut888

« Reply #793 on: February 07, 2010, 09:39:18 PM »
Huh. I was not expecting that.

My team was on the ropes. I shot off another master spark and Great Stamp was still standing. In desperation for people to bring out, I brought out Sanae, hoping to either buff or heal someone to hope that I can get off another Master Spark. Instead, I decided to use 9 Syllable Stabs to see how much it would do for future fights.

8000~ damage.

Great Stamp dies.

Wut.

« Reply #794 on: February 07, 2010, 10:02:44 PM »
Update:
Took the last remaining 12F char home finally. Details here:

Spoiler:
Now, you see, its reasons like this I tell people certain characters don't suck. Eirin was my key slot 2 in all the fight, as she often overhealed Tenshi (who never left slot 1) and Reimu to keep Flowing Hellfire from hurting too badly. When her SP began to run low I swapped her in for Meiling, who effectively served the same purpose minus the overheal, who would then get swapped for Eirin once SHE ran low on SP. The only casulties in the fight were Marisa, who died prepping a spark, and Sanae, because I was stupid and didn't swap her out before the boss's attack phase despite having the chance to do so (I Miracle Fruit'd Meiling instead to help her tank and heal better, which in retrospect she probably didn't need). Mokou was dropped for Eirin because she couldn't do much damage thanks to the boss's insane fire res, debuff resistances, and Wu not doing enough to satisfy me (it did about Chen-levels of damage, so good but not great without the ability to hit 2 or 3 times in a row), so while she could take Flowing Hellfire best of almost anyone, she couldn't do much since even her Volcano didn't seem to do beyond 8k damage or anything. Meanwhile, Marisa has been dying a lot in boss fights (usually from one move at that), so I'm tempted to drop her for Kaguya, or at least I would if I wasn't so far behind in skillpoint levels and having to start ANOTHER character would just set me behind even further. Yuugi lasted surprisingly well, and her Supernatural Phenominon or however you spell it smacked him pretty well also (since Knockout in Three Steps was fire-based and therefore did laughable damage). Nitori was interesting, because while most of the time she had less than 200 HP left due to barely surviving a Flowing Hellfire, she was always able to let loose a Megawatt for a nice amount of damage and one of the two tanks would swap her out immediately after, which not only kept her alive but compensated for its gastly cooldown phase. Patchouli and Chen did their usual thing, while Orin's Former Hell's Needle Mountain and natural fire defenses proved amazingly effective.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 10:23:24 PM by AlexX Unlimited »

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #795 on: February 07, 2010, 10:15:40 PM »
Epic victory is Epic Donut ;D

As long as you rename the 2.06 exe

Ummmm... which file is that and what do I name it?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #796 on: February 07, 2010, 10:30:52 PM »
Epic victory is Epic Donut ;D

Ummmm... which file is that and what do I name it?
I just mean the executable file for 2.06. Like, the one you run to start the game. Since you don't want to play it in 2.06 all the time because of glitches, you don't wanna overwrite the 2.04 executable you've been using till now.

So, rename the 2.06 "thLabyrinth.exe" to whatever you want so they can both be in the folder and everything is just hunky dory~

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #797 on: February 07, 2010, 10:47:40 PM »
Ok, things are good. Thanks big for your help... do you know what each choice on the NG+ is? Preferably in order :) Also, what happens to a char if I recruit them while using them? Like what happens to Meiling if I recruit her while using her?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #798 on: February 07, 2010, 10:51:20 PM »
Ok, things are good. Thanks big for your help... do you know what each choice on the NG+ is? Preferably in order :) Also, what happens to a char if I recruit them while using them? Like what happens to Meiling if I recruit her while using her?
...I have no idea. 8D

Also, if you recruit a new character while playing 2.04 and not 2.06, I hear it sets that character to lv1.

« Reply #799 on: February 07, 2010, 11:11:44 PM »
I still find that Remi doesn't get outdamaged easily, she's fast unlike most hard hitters. And she can always maintain a good buff. Other people can't except for chen, whose buff doesn't help in the survival department. I truly think most people think other peopel do damage simply cuz they see bigger numbers, but they don't factor in their speed and delay.. I'm sure other characters can do better damage yes, but easily? eerrr...

Maybe it's a difference in playstyle, but when I'm thinking of attackers, I'm thinking of the glass-cannon ones that are really hitting hard (Patchy, Marisa, Chen,
Spoiler:
Suwako, Flandre
), all of whom will be dealing more damage than Remilia usually.  The rest of my party is either tanks or support.

« Reply #800 on: February 07, 2010, 11:19:01 PM »
After spending quite a bit of time running around the giant maze on floors 10-12 (and getting more and more annoyed at those super-fast top things), I decided to give the
Spoiler:
Nitori
battle another try. Ended up beating her right away, even though I forgot to bring Meiling. Did I just get lucky, or does she always aim the laser at the character in the first slot?

Then, I went back to check on
Spoiler:
Sanae
, and ended up getting destroyed in one attack by the boss thing that appeared in her place... But seriously, is that just a repeat of the 7F boss?

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #801 on: February 08, 2010, 12:03:26 AM »
Yoshicookie, that attack is used on whoever is furthest left, every time. This is similar to how trash target your party, just trash prefers those on the left over those on the right, but could still hit the 4th slot char if your unlucky.

Also, I'm on my 2nd playthrough :toot: and I seem to have only picked "carry over characters" and "carry over items". I already beat Hong Meiling :3

« Reply #802 on: February 08, 2010, 12:07:46 AM »
After spending quite a bit of time running around the giant maze on floors 10-12 (and getting more and more annoyed at those super-fast top things), I decided to give the
Spoiler:
Nitori
battle another try. Ended up beating her right away, even though I forgot to bring Meiling. Did I just get lucky, or does she always aim the laser at the character in the first slot?
If memory serves she always fires at the first slot. As such, its usually best to have someone with high HP there since the move is capable of piercing pretty well (assuming it follows the same formula the player version does, of course).

Then, I went back to check on
Spoiler:
Sanae
, and ended up getting destroyed in one attack by the boss thing that appeared in her place... But seriously, is that just a repeat of the 7F boss?
Yes, except he can use Flowing Hellfire as often as he darn well feels like it. Have lots of fire resistance prepped if you can.

Inactive person

• カナ●アナベラルは俺の嫁 異議は認めない
  • I'm never on :V
« Reply #803 on: February 08, 2010, 12:32:39 AM »

First choice is every character, second is save skill points (only the main 5 character's skill points will carry over if you picked no on your first choice), the last one is save your items (items equipped on your characters in previous data will not be carried over)

nintendonut888

« Reply #804 on: February 08, 2010, 12:35:41 AM »
Having all the characters from the start sounds good on paper, but many of the later-game characters have high-SP cost attacks, so many of them will be unusable until later anyway. :\

« Reply #805 on: February 08, 2010, 12:41:28 AM »
Oh yeah, baby! 15F optional taken down with the same party that took the last one~

Spoiler:
What do you know? Literally the ONLY casulty from the fight was Marisa, because her Master Spark did total crap for damage to the boss even fully charged... Seriously, why has she gotten so terrible lately? If she doesn't die attempting to charge up her Master Spark she dies after it does terrible damage... I can understand Orin and Nitori outdamaging her so severely since their moves are all physical and Flan has low defense, but Silent Selene did much, much more damage... Does boss Flandre have that much MYS res?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:44:26 AM by AlexX Unlimited »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #806 on: February 08, 2010, 12:46:46 AM »
Spoiler:
Does boss Flandre have that much MYS res?
Yes. She really does.

« Reply #807 on: February 08, 2010, 01:31:14 AM »
Clearly I'm going to have to adjust something. I've now reached floor 16, and am getting (not-infrequently) my entire party wiped out in a single round (sometimes before more than 1 person can even act). What level might one expect for defensive stats at this point? (My average party level is around 60)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #808 on: February 08, 2010, 01:51:48 AM »
Also, I'm on my 2nd playthrough :toot: and I seem to have only picked "carry over characters" and "carry over items". I already beat Hong Meiling :3

Seems like everyone who played and got far/beat this game started a 2nd game right away. Truly I have never seen an RPG so damn good where everyone wants to start over immediately after beating it >=P.
I know if this was any other game I'd call it quits after accidently deleting my 2nd game, but no, gonna do it again >=P.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #809 on: February 08, 2010, 02:23:19 AM »
I noticed something odd about character stats on my 2nd play, specifically ailment resist, SP Recovery rate and elemental affinity. All the chars on the 2nd last page have the same ailment resists and affinities as each other while everyone on the last page has the same resists and affinities as each other. Any reason for this?

this oddity at work on my file:

This spoiler tag will mention every char from floor 14+ that isn't Plus Disk so please beware...
Spoiler:
My Mokou's Resists and SP Recovery are currently all 18 with her affinities being like so: FIR 118, CLD 125, WND 119, NTR 114, MYS 126, SPI 124. Meanwhile my Orin, Flandre, Kaguya, Suika, Yuyuko, Yukari and Rinnosuke all have the exact same layout in those exact areas, but thier stats don't seem odd at all and seem to match up with what they should be at level 3-4.

Anyone have any idea why this happened? I could take screen shots to prove this... but someone would need to tell me how I take a screen shot cause I never learned how/I never found out how...