Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou discussion thread #2  (Read 222487 times)

Re: Labyrinth of Touhou discussion thread #2
« Reply #240 on: January 22, 2010, 02:12:05 AM »
Final Boss Ver2 taken down with Reimu at lv230.  That was a fun and nicely difficult fight I must say.

Two new characters joined, 3 left to go...all of which I would have to fight and all of which would kill me violently at this point :P.

24F and 26F should be doable at this stage. At least consider beating 26F so you can rush to 27F; the enemies give great exp and the Liliths give a ridiculous number of skill points (91000 IIRC).

Specific hints:
Spoiler:
Yuka (15 million hp, goes into phase 2 when down to 3 million hp): Buff NTR resist and get a fire attacker - Alice was my choice. None of Yuka's attacks should then be that damaging (possible exception of Beauty of Nature, which despite its animation does whole damage). Good dps is essential for combating Reflowering of Gensokyo, her 1.5 million hp self-heal. Bring multiple nukers to handle the contingency of getting magic drained.

The real danger with Yuka is killing her after she casts Focus. You'll need to do 3 million burst damage. I handled it with a fully buffed team of Yukari, Kaguya, Flandre, and Alice.

Shikieiki (14 million hp): IMO easier than the Yuka fight. Shikieiki uses a 80k single target nuke which ignores defense every third turn, exclusively on the 1st character slot. Thus you should bring out Komachi and Eirin. With the exception of this gimmick the fight is straightforward, so just nuke her into the ground. Be sure to kill her after she casts Focus; unlike Yuka she will not have a lot of hp, so Master Spark or comparable attacks will suffice.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #241 on: January 22, 2010, 02:27:19 AM »
There's a 2.05 and 2.06 patch that was released but it was in testing phase and had a lot of bugs, so 2.04 is still considered the "official" release.

2.05:
-Changes to Megawatt
-Cursor memory when doing level ups (OH GOD YES, I always transfer my save to my 2.06 version when I want to catch up a character from far now)
-New Game +, unlocked I think when you defeat the plus disk final boss? Allows you to choose whether to carry over skill points, items, exp, and whether to start with all characters unlocked.

2.06:
-Sound test
-Function to turn off spell effects in battle
CURSOR MEMORY OH GOD YES OH GOD

OH GOD YEEEEEEEEEES

Also, New Game+ with all characters unlocked would be interesting; especially considering that unlike the starters, most characters don't have a really cheap skill.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Chen

• Ruined my own appeal by being a dumbass
« Reply #242 on: January 22, 2010, 02:30:12 AM »
 ???
How are you supposed to beat Alice?
She always heal-spams me.
Bawwwwww.

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #243 on: January 22, 2010, 02:34:28 AM »
???
How are you supposed to beat Alice?
She always heal-spams me.
Bawwwwww.
Use Patchouli's Royal Flare and Marisa's Asteroid Belt, as well as any other attack to kill off the healing light.

« Reply #244 on: January 22, 2010, 02:35:54 AM »
Basically any piercing attacks should do the trick against the healing doll. Rumia's Dark Side of the Moon is another good option.

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #245 on: January 22, 2010, 02:38:02 AM »
Or alternatively, massively nuke the left/right dolls one at a time, killing them before the healer doll can heal them. They have about 14k HP.

Alice doesn't bring out her attacks until Healer is down, so this is easier... although you may not be able to do enough damage for this strategy, depending on how your team is. Killing Healer first will surely work as long as you can survive the barrage of attacks afterwards.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Tsumachi

• No.
  • ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #246 on: January 22, 2010, 12:35:42 PM »
FIRST POST

Battle tips

Okay, my Reimu is level 251, and I just got my ass handed to me by
Spoiler:
Yuka
. I couldn't even hurt her enough to make her start healing, and I spent a good 15 minutes before completely wiping. I buffed up my NTR element before the battle on my tanks and main damage characters, and yet her attacks went through like I didn't have any DEF or MND at all. 10k dmg on my 10F fully buffed? What the hell?
Are her attacks DEF/MND ignoring? I must be doing something horribly wrong otherwise.

« Reply #247 on: January 22, 2010, 07:36:44 PM »
Okay, my Reimu is level 251, and I just got my ass handed to me by
Spoiler:
Yuka
. I couldn't even hurt her enough to make her start healing, and I spent a good 15 minutes before completely wiping. I buffed up my NTR element before the battle on my tanks and main damage characters, and yet her attacks went through like I didn't have any DEF or MND at all. 10k dmg on my 10F fully buffed? What the hell?
Are her attacks DEF/MND ignoring? I must be doing something horribly wrong otherwise.

Are your dps/support characters getting 1-shotted? 24F is not that fast, and her big nukes greatly deplete her active gauge, so healing should be able to control any damage she does. 10k damage isn't big at plus disk levels.

Some stats for my party at the time:
Spoiler:
Remi 201 - 44k/20k/15k HP/Def/Mnd, 500 NTR
Rinnosuke 195 - 33k/21k/20k HP/Def/Mnd, 360 NTR
Reimu 230 - 32k/12k/23k HP/Def/Mnd, 290 NTR
Yukari 194 - 29k/18k/26k HP/Def/Mnd, 290 NTR
Alice 209 - 26k/13k/27k HP/Def/Mnd, 300 NTR, 40k MAG - nukes for ~600k
Note that 24F has the capability to 2-shot my party with her big nukes. This however will never happen, since with any sort of +MAG% Reimu will full heal my party. Even if Reimu gets magic drained (and this did happen to me), enough sp recovery will allow her to heal when needed.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #248 on: January 23, 2010, 12:06:43 AM »
Spoiler:
Wow, such a grind wall... I can't beat any Plus disk foes at all, unless Bloody Papa or the pair of Hibachi's count. DID manage to beat the Flame Tyrant, but only because it didn't open with a really powerful move, giving me time to inflict PAR on it. What level should I be for Plus Disk content?

Tsumachi

• No.
  • ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2010, 06:27:32 AM »
Spoiler:
I beat Baal Avatar, yet I still cannot withstand Yuka's flowers.

« Reply #250 on: January 23, 2010, 02:04:31 PM »
Pfffffft.
Okay this is silly. Ran into this enemy on the 28th floor.I had fought him before with other enemies but this time it was alone so I thought "oh hey this'll be easy."

No matter what I threw at that thing it didn't die. It had to have way more than 3 million HP. Worst part is, I even was able to cause DTH status on it...and it didn't die.

« Reply #251 on: January 23, 2010, 03:19:05 PM »
Pfffffft.
Okay this is silly. Ran into this enemy on the 28th floor.I had fought him before with other enemies but this time it was alone so I thought "oh hey this'll be easy."

No matter what I threw at that thing it didn't die. It had to have way more than 3 million HP. Worst part is, I even was able to cause DTH status on it...and it didn't die.

It's 4 of the same enemy stacked on top of one another. You should've already seen this gimmick in Floor 19 with the Solar Demon Kings. Each has about 1.8 mil HP, so yeah.

« Reply #252 on: January 23, 2010, 04:14:40 PM »
It's 4 of the same enemy stacked on top of one another. You should've already seen this gimmick in Floor 19 with the Solar Demon Kings. Each has about 1.8 mil HP, so yeah.

Oh okay that makes a bit more sense. I was wondering how it had multiple turns and attacked even when it's action bar wasn't full.

Well now that's just silly.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2010, 04:23:56 PM »
4? I thought it was 5, Been awhile though.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2010, 04:49:37 PM »
It's 4 of the same enemy stacked on top of one another

Wat. 4 of 1 enemy in a fight AND they are sharing the exact same spot ._.

You should've already seen this gimmick in Floor 19 with the Solar Demon Kings

How many of them were on top of each other? 4 again? They fell fast though
Spoiler:
even when summoned by the 20F varient of them.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #255 on: January 24, 2010, 12:54:29 AM »
Wat. 4 of 1 enemy in a fight AND they are sharing the exact same spot ._.

How many of them were on top of each other? 4 again? They fell fast though
Spoiler:
even when summoned by the 20F varient of them.

yeah, they share the same spot, though once again I thought it was 5 >=P.

As for the solar demons on floor 19, it is sometimes 2, sometimes 1.

You can tell you have more than 1 enemy sharing the same spot because if you push left or right, you'll hear the selection noise. In addition the numbers sometimes appear a bit wonky since they overlap. Or you'll notice that you cast evil sealing circle, and you get attacked even though you saw "par", etc.

Personally I find these fights kinda exciting. Silly probably but I just get a kick outta them.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #256 on: January 24, 2010, 05:04:31 AM »
Spoiler:
WTF! >:( I was fighting a boss earlyer, it used a Row Attack that hit the 1st char, Rinnosuke for 26k and the other 3 chars for less, nothing odd there. But the weird and enraging bit is that Rinnosuke who was at full HP, just over 29k, got KO'ed by the attack. Can anyone explain this? The Row Attack used was Iai/Lai Slash

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #257 on: January 24, 2010, 05:23:44 AM »
was it by the floor 21 boss? that boss is bs.

« Reply #258 on: January 24, 2010, 06:47:45 AM »
Spoiler:
WTF! >:( I was fighting a boss earlyer, it used a Row Attack that hit the 1st char, Rinnosuke for 26k and the other 3 chars for less, nothing odd there. But the weird and enraging bit is that Rinnosuke who was at full HP, just over 29k, got KO'ed by the attack. Can anyone explain this? The Row Attack used was Iai/Lai Slash

It has a chance of instant death probably.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #259 on: January 24, 2010, 06:57:51 AM »
Not Insta-Death, I did not see DTH pop up on anyone, plus said char who died has, with current equips, 39 DTH resist.

was it by the floor 21 boss? that boss is bs

Spoiler:
Baal Avatar? Yes, that was who I was fighting. Odd thing, I encountered this same BS with a few other bosses, specificly the 16F, 18F and 20F bosses pulled this same crap, dealing more damage then what the attack said. In fact, In 1 fight Vs the 20F boss, someone got hit for 0 yet lost 1000 HP, and that char had no ailments in place.

All in all, I need to grind... MOAR.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #260 on: January 24, 2010, 08:29:54 AM »
Not Insta-Death, I did not see DTH pop up on anyone, plus said char who died has, with current equips, 39 DTH resist.

Spoiler:
Baal Avatar? Yes, that was who I was fighting. Odd thing, I encountered this same BS with a few other bosses, specificly the 16F, 18F and 20F bosses pulled this same crap, dealing more damage then what the attack said. In fact, In 1 fight Vs the 20F boss, someone got hit for 0 yet lost 1000 HP, and that char had no ailments in place.

All in all, I need to grind... MOAR.

skip the boss until you're at like floor 26. I'm serious.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #261 on: January 24, 2010, 03:08:28 PM »
For people who want the delicious Level-Up Cursor Memory, here is a link to the 2.06 patch.

http://www.geocities.jp/aaa_3peso/thLabyrinth/thLabyrinth_ver2.06.zip

Rename the thLaby.exe in this folder to thLaby2.06.exe or something, and copy all this into your game folder, minus the save file.

Whenever you need to level up a single character a ton, start 2.06 so you don't have to scroll down to the correct Level-Up bonus each time, saving a HUUUUGE amount of time for you since now you just spam Z a bunch.

I recommend against actually using 2.06 for casual play however, because of bugs and glitches. The only significant changes anyway are this, Nitori's Megawatt is much stronger, and there is a New Game+ function (Which you can probably activate in 2.06 and then play in 2.04)

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #262 on: January 24, 2010, 08:33:04 PM »
FFFFFF Alice is impossible. :<

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #263 on: January 25, 2010, 12:29:16 AM »
FFFFFF Alice is impossible. :<

Yeah, she can potentially be a toughie.  Healing Doll is kinda hard to off early on since it gets a DEF + MND buff from the Magic and Shield Dolls first turn they get unless you can throw out some piercing attacks.  Best to focus on wiping out the Magic Doll first off I'd say as it poses the overall worst threat early on due to constant elemental party attacks.  Just make sure to throw only the strongest hits you can manage since the Healing Doll has a single target heal spell that recovers quite a bit of HP (It's MT heal spell isn't worth mentioning).

Once it dies, focus on the Healing Doll.  Best to use Royal Flare and any other strong party attacks.  The more damaged Alice is when the Healing Doll goes out, the better.  That's when Alice starts breaking out her more deadly attacks (Little Legion and Seeker Dolls to be precise).  Before that she focuses mainly on status afflicting spells.

Shield Doll is not really a huge threat.  Worst I've seen it do is a shield bash attack for like 200-300ish dmg to a single target.  Easy enough to leave this for last.

Finally...around lv18-20 or so is the recommended level I believe.

As for me...26F boss went down early this afternoon.  Took 2 tries to beat.  1st time I couldn't quite do enough damage after her Focus to off her before getting owned by her super attack.

Before the 2nd attempt, changed my party up a bit.  Namely adding Youmu into the mix for another high damage dealer after Focus.  Had to grind a bit so I had enough skill points to put into her attack.

And after all the prepping I did for the battle?

...She never used Focus on her 2nd attempt.  I didn't even have a chance to break out my 100% MAG buffed Marisa for a Master Spark.  Youmu for that matter only came out twice the whole battle.  First time so she and 15F optional could get buffed by 18F character's super buff.  Second time was to throw a SoE in the boss's face.

Wonder if my semi-stalling halfway through the battle had anything to do with Focus not being used.  I was paranoid about having some characters ready to switch in my burst damage dealers when Focus was used.  Reimu was lv252 for this fight.

Afterwards, upgraded my newly acquired character (1st skill is pretty useful), went to map 26F out fully.

27F...holy god I love Lilith's skill points they give per kill.  Must have gotten 6-8 mil in pure skill points just exploring and mapping the entire floor minus the boss blocking the way to the next floor.

Before I take on that boss, think I'm gonna go fight the 24F optional.  I was planning to try to take out the 21F optional first.  That did not go so well.

Reimu lv272 right now.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #264 on: January 25, 2010, 01:32:02 AM »
I just got this game. I have no idea how it works, or if I'll like it. Let's see how this goes. :S
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #265 on: January 25, 2010, 01:40:54 AM »
I just got this game. I have no idea how it works, or if I'll like it. Let's see how this goes. :S
Yeah, I saw you post in here and was like "Really? =o". Don't worry though, its a pretty great game, although quite difficult at times.

For starters, Attack command is only for finishing off nearly-dead stuff, and will only do good damage on people with a good ATK stat. Focus recovers an amount of SP relevant to a character's SP Recovery stat. Escape works 100% of the time, but drains 3 TP from your 4 active characters.

Each active character will lose 1 TP at the end of battle, and they will lose more if they HP is below full. After running out of TP (or HP, for that matter), they return to Gensokyo. You get them back as soon as you return. And no, you do not get Game Over if all active characters run out of TP.

Your (up to)8 characters in reserve regain SP as if they were using Focus. This is will be very noticeable after you get a few more characters. They also regain HP, but since HP refills after every battle, you won't notice that as much.

As for Level-Up bonuses, I recommend devoting it completely to a character's most important stat, which is almost always either ATK or MAG. In the case of some tanking characters however, (Meiling, and some others you get later) it is best to use either HP, DEF, or MND, depending on who it is. For the character mentioned, I'd recommend DEF.

Skill Point bonuses... it doesn't really matter if you mess up much, since the skill points you spend on one floor will be trivial by the time you get another floor or two into the game. But, since all Stat-bonuses in the game are based off of a percentage, you should still concentrate on a character's good stats.

Hmm... that is the most important stuff to know, so that you won't screw up your characters, and so you'll know the basics of gameplay.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 01:45:35 AM by NeoGenesis »

nintendonut888

« Reply #266 on: January 25, 2010, 01:51:40 AM »

D:

Well, knowing that attack is SUPPOSED to be so weak is good to know. However, I know almost nothing of what any of these stats do...

Anyway, after figuring out how to save, learning the hard way that dying isn't the way to return to Gensokyo, and watching everyone get decimated by kedamas, it's time to try some more...
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #267 on: January 25, 2010, 01:59:56 AM »
ATK:Used for Attack command, and for calculating damage (Sometimes healing) in Physical skills
DEF:Reduces damage from physical attacks
MAG:Increases damage/heal of Magical skills
MND:Decreases damage from Magical skills
SPD:Makes the action gauge fill up faster
EVD:Does NOTHING. Do NOT bother increasing this.

Composite attacks are based on ATK and MAG together, but you should still just concentrate on a single stat for level-up boosts on composite attacking characters. Reimu needs MAG to help her Multi-Heal, anyway.

Resistances are your resistance to receiving a status effect. If the res. is 20, you have a 60% chance to not get hit by it, 10=30%, 34=102%(Immune), etc.

Affinities are... well, when you get attacked by an elemental attack, it goes "Damage x (affinity/100)", so if you have an affinity of 100 you take normal damage... 200 is half damage, 50 is double, 25 is x4 damage, 300 is 1/3 damage, etc.

And if you haven't figured it out, X opens the menu where you can return to Gensokyo and such, while A opens a minimap of the floor.

nintendonut888

« Reply #268 on: January 25, 2010, 02:18:46 AM »
I think I'm starting to get this...and if I don't, I just have to grind a bunch. :V

I should ask: The rest function is useful...TOO useful. Is there a limit to the amount of times I can use it or something?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #269 on: January 25, 2010, 02:20:25 AM »
I think I'm starting to get this...and if I don't, I just have to grind a bunch. :V
Ahh, the universal solution. Also, later in the game, you get the alternative "I can't win! Time to totally cheese the boss with Tenshiwalling.". You just can't lose when everything does 0 damage... but, it really doesn't feel right.

I should ask: The rest function is useful...TOO useful. Is there a limit to the amount of times I can use it or something?
It may be nice when you start out, but after you get a few more characters it will suck. And in case you didn't notice, it drains 2 TP from everyone  :V

Yeah, after you get some more people, the SP you recover from being in reserve will do the job most of the time.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 02:22:50 AM by NeoGenesis »