Author Topic: Danmakufu Tutorial Thread Index  (Read 47764 times)

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
Danmakufu Tutorial Thread Index
« on: May 13, 2009, 12:59:35 AM »
This thread serves as an index to the various Danmakufu tutorials the members have put together here. Currently, there are not many, but more are in the works.

This is not a high activity board so feel free to necrobump old tutorial threads if you need clarification on something.

Danmakufu Wiki at Touhou Wiki - Currently the only complete system reference for Danmakufu. Has all functions listed and explained, though not very in-depth.

Danmakufu Wiki at Shrinemaiden - [19:36] <Naut> If people are using the Engrish wiki then they're just plain wrong >: |

Beginner Video Tutorials, by Helepolis - Covers how to get a spellcard off the ground from scratch.

Danmakufu Basics Tutorial, by Blargel - Covers the basic syntax of a spellcard script, shows how to get a simple spellcard off the ground, and gives some information on the various functions used to create bullets. For beginners.

Danmakufu Intermediate Tutorial, by Naut and Iryan - Covers a number of useful subjects beyond the basics, such as complex bullet creation tricks, object bullets and other tasks, enemy movement, boss and stage scripts, and dialogue functions.

Advanced Danmakufu Scripting Techniques, by Blargel - Covers some advanced concepts, such as nested functions, recursive functions, multi-dimensional arrays, libraries, and a few other things.

Drawing Tutorial by Nuclear Cheese - Covers the drawing functions used to show non-standard graphics onscreen, including 3d functions.

Shot Object Tutorial by Nuclear Cheese - Covers the basics of creating an object shot.

Effect Object Tutorial by Nuclear Cheese - Covers how to create and manage effect objects and the vertices involved.

Player Script Tutorial by Stuffman - Covers all the steps involved in creating a complete playable character. Covers some advanced concepts such as homing and spellcard objects.

Understanding Paths and Directories by Helepolis - Covers some details regarding handling the file structure of your projects.

Not tutorials, but these threads should be of interest to anyone working with Danmakufu.

Troubleshooting:
Danmakufu Error Message Troubleshooting
Things that Slow Danmakufu Down

General use scripts:
Expanded shotdata + shotreplace
Custom Cutin script
Animation Handling Library
Snippets of code for handy functions.

Danmakufu default resource editting:
Unraveling the mysteries of th_dnh.dat
Danmakufu .dat File Packer/Unpacker
Danmakufu Syntax highlighter for Notepad++

Feel free to nominate threads for this section.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:37:45 PM by Nobu »

Re: Danmakufu Tutorial Thread Index
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:03:32 AM »
The Danmakufu Wiki description should be something like "Is fucking cryptic, bring your puzzle solving kit and memorizable rubix cube functions to decode these motherfuckers".

But seriously, though I didn't get any word, I'm gonna assume it was made official that the new wiki has been sacked, and that I should now take it off my homepage? Staring at a 404 screen everytime I open the intertubes is becoming really discontenting as of late, and I'd like to remove it if the page has been officially gutted.

So, does this mean we should start sifting through the Engrish pages and decode them into a readable language, or what? Cause the pages cover pretty much everything (there are exceptions, I know), but God help you if you actually want to learn something from that moontext.

Also, I'll be making an official thread for the intermediate tutorial once I finish it. I'm having some trouble wording it in a clear way and still covering everything while maintaining legibility. There is many a thing I want to explain and I don't want it to be a story book, just a lesson you could get through in as little time as possible. So keep an eye out for that, but I won't give any breakable timeline promises.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:02:38 AM »
I'll ask 7HS about the wiki, I kinda forgot about it myself. He might not be able to migrate it, in which case we might be able to just get a new blank one.

I'll update the first post whenever we get new tutorials, they should be hard to miss anyway.

Nuclear Cheese

• Relax and enjoy the danmaku.
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 02:40:57 AM »
I found the will to be not lazy.

I've only touched on a couple pieces - next up is arrays of object shots, I think ...

EDIT:
Who says two months is a long delay?  Added the third section which gives a simple framework to use arrays of object shots.  Unless people want to see more detail or more topics in this tutorial, I'll consider it done (for now :V ).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:03:05 AM by Nuclear Cheese »
to quote Naut:
"I can see the background, there are too many safespots."
:V

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:22:01 PM »
Oh, hmm, I hadn't considered using arrays for bulks of object shots instead of just a barrel of tasks. The code would probably be much more efficient that way...

Cheese, do you have a professional programming background? You seem to know a lot about this stuff.

Nuclear Cheese

• My homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 11:36:44 PM »
Oh, hmm, I hadn't considered using arrays for bulks of object shots instead of just a barrel of tasks. The code would probably be much more efficient that way...

Yeah, I did that at first, before I figured out object shots and the like.  The Celia scripts used that technique (or something similar, I don't remember exactly at the moment) ...

Cheese, do you have a professional programming background? You seem to know a lot about this stuff.

Not to be a bragging jerkass, but ...

- Casual programming (including game development on the small scale) for well over a decade
- First college-level programming class at age 12
- Master's degree in Computer Science
- Over a year and a half of employment as a software engineer

... I think I might have a slight amount of experience with t3h codez :V

to quote Naut:

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 11:46:09 PM »
Oh really?

MAKE US A BETTER VERSION OF DANMAKUFU

I'LL GIVE YOU TWENTY BUCKS maybe!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 05:45:48 AM »
With that kind of background I am sure you are allowed to brag, especially if it is contributing.

I'll join Stuffman, PLZ HACK ze SA/MOF engine and make it available for us. Oh wait. . .

Nuclear Cheese

• My homepage
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 12:14:01 AM »
Oh really?

MAKE US A BETTER VERSION OF DANMAKUFU

"TWENTY BUCKS maybe", you said?!  OSHI~!  I better get working on this right no-waitaminute ... what's this "maybe" bullshit I see hiding here? :V

In more seriousness, it's certainly doable, but it'd take a while at least - especially the whole part about having to parse an entire scripting language and such.  Feasible, but sure as hell not easy or quick.
Not to mention I already have my fighting game project that has tons of is gaining lots of will soon be picking up really needs to gather some steam behind it ... <insert 15-minute rant about how long this game has been in the "not done yet lol" category> ... reminds me, I need to go threaten my artist into actually getting me some art.

To remain somewhat on-topic ... if anyone has any particular pieces that they'd like a tutorial on, I might be able to help out with that :V
to quote Naut:

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 12:17:30 AM »
Oh really?

MAKE US A BETTER VERSION OF MUGEN

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 08:03:09 PM »
Note that I am now including threads that are not tutorials but contain easily-accessible and useful information and resources.

As it says above, feel free to nominate threads for this listing.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 06:44:30 PM »
Audacious self nomination

Feel free to format it better so it doesnt have my replying to six different things beforehand

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 06:10:27 PM »

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 10:44:43 PM »
It's pretty meh. But I hope it works.

Thanks for someone finally teaching me how to do such a thing...
I mean seriously... I had no Idea how to make these gosh darn menus (well I never tried anyways...).

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 10:55:34 PM »
http://dmf.shrinemaiden.org/wiki/index.php?title=Wonderful%E2%98%86Life%27s_Introduction_to_Menus

It's pretty meh. But I hope it works.

Code: [Select]
DrawText("Option1",GetCenterX,GetCenterY20,15,alph1); 
DrawText("Option2",GetCenterX,GetCenterY-20,15,alph2);

Fixed it for ya

Also, lol code :3

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 10:16:34 PM »
The sample code for Nuclear Cheese's Drawing Tutorial (the 3D one) is no longer working

www.stephenware.com/th_dnh/bg_ex.zip
Gets me to a GoDaddy thing
I wanted to post this incase my computer is just being messed up again

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
The sample code for Nuclear Cheese's Drawing Tutorial (the 3D one) is no longer working

See attached.

Nuclear Cheese

• My homepage
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 03:36:22 AM »

www.stephenware.com/th_dnh/bg_ex.zip
Gets me to a GoDaddy thing
I wanted to post this incase my computer is just being messed up again

(just noticed this)
My apologies.  I let my website's hosting expire.  :derp:

I'll make a note to get these files back in place once I get some time to redo the site itself.

In the meantime, thanks Naut for covering for me.
to quote Naut: