~Hakurei Shrine~ > Kosuzu's Grand Bookstore

Weekly Writing Challenge Thread the First

(1/200) > >>

Alfred F. Jones:
This post reserved for more sensible OP text later. I'm so insane right now it's not even funny :V

Welcome, dear Writers, to the Weekly Touhou Shorts Writing Challenge.

Here you shall take up your pens and quills,
your ink bottles and keyboards,
and compete with each other in a battle of words.

Every week, a short story idea will be presented here by one of you.
If you want to be that chosen one, you simply need to send your ideas to the master of this challenge, Ruro.
She will then decide which idea shall become this week's challenge.

Once a theme has been decided and posted, anyone is free to reply to it with their own short story.

Once the week ends, winners will be chosen by arbitrary standards a complex system of evaluation and judgement.
Let it be known that the winners shall receive prizes for their victory.
They will be the shiny things known as SM, the right to call yourself a Speshul Membuh.

So with this, let the Challenge begin.
Write with all you've got and most of all:
Have Fun!
Rules:
- Anyone is allowed to submit a response to a story prompt that shall be posted every week in this thread.
- Only one entry per person; however, you may submit more than one story and pick one or the other to be judged.
- Comments from observers are allowed and encouraged.
- I am open to receiving prompt suggestions, and people who send me suggestions will not be disqualified from the contest. (This is a tentative rule, since we'll see how this turns out. But eh, this should run on an honor system. Write something new every time.)
- You have a week to complete a challenge and submit it. In practice, this means "right up until the next challenge is posted".
- Winners get Speshul Membuh rank for a week. However, they will lose it after that week if they don't win the next contest. No getting complacent here, people!

The weekly deadline is Sunday midnight!

Judges are: Chaore, Rou, and Sakana, the Librarians. If any of them would like to post a fic, they are free to do so, but they won't be able to judge for that week. I'll step in and take any of their slots if/when that happens. And speaking of, I'm auto-DQ'd from winning at all, so you don't have to worry about me. This is for the rest of you wonderful writers, after all :3

I need something better for this >_>
<Sakana> Your will shall be done. ^^
Thanks, Sakana~

EDIT: From our loyal slave follower Sect comes this handy list of challenges. Thanks a lot~

--- Quote from: Sect ---Contest 1: Nigerian Spam Email

?lice Bl?ckb?r[Z]
Sakura Rurouni
Iced Fairy *Winner*
Roukanken
Forte Blackadder

Contest 2: Doctor

Hideki
Roukanken
Forte Blackadder
Iced Fairy *Winner*
Amaterasu
Choja
Sakura Rurouni

Contest 3: Magical Girl

Forte Blackadder
Erebus *Winner*
Roukanken
Iced Fairy
homerun-chan
Sakura Rurouni

Contest 4: "Everything You Ever"

Esifex
Iced Fairy
Roukanken *Winner*
Choja

Contest 4.5: Spellcard Haiku

homerun-chan
Suikama
Sen
Iced Fairy
Kilgamayan
Polaris *Winner*
Roukanken

Contest 5: Contemporary

Amaterasu
Roukanken
Erebus
Odda C. *Winner*

Contest 6: Festival

Iced Fairy *Winner*
theshim
Roukanken

Contest 7: Animal Youkai

Iced Fairy
Roukanken *Winner*
homerun-chan

Contest 8: Self Insert

Iced Fairy
Purvis *Winner*
Roukanken
Erebus
Nobu
Esifex *Winner*

Contest 9: Mortality

Purvis *Wins Again*
Iced *Winner*
Sriggle

Contest 10: Sports

Purvis *Damn it stop winning*
Solf J. Undertaker
Iced Fairy
Erebus *Winner*

Contest 11: Mecha

Iced Fairy *Um... Winner?*

Contest 12: The Challenge That Should Have Never Been

Purvis *No seriously he's the winner for this one you don't want to read the others*
Roukanken *Loser*
Sakana *Loser*
Sriggle *Loser*
Erebus *Loser*
Santora Claws *Loser*
Amaterasu *Loser*
Ayuka *The Most Losiest Of Them All (Which somehow means Winner)*

Contest 13: Wild West

Amaterasu *Winner*
Iced Fairy
Esifex
Roukanken
rdj
Purvis *Actually didn't win this one, oddly enough*
Ayuka

Contest 14: Space

Esifex *Disqualified for plagarising Purvis*
Roukanken *Winner*
Azaa
Ayuka

Contest 15: School

Iced Fairy
Santora Claws
Roukanken
Sana
Erebus *Winner*

Contest 16: Spies

VIVI
Yagosteinro_Eirin
Santora Claws
Chibi-Reaper
Ryuu
Roukanken
Iced Fairy *Winner*
Luna Moth Child
Kirin

Contest 17: Essays

Chibi-Reaper
Amaterasu *Winner*
Santora Claws
Roukanken
Erebus
Team Brofist Ryuu and Esifex
nolrai2

Contest 18: Halloween

Santora Claws
Iced Fairy *Winner*

Contest 19: Christmas

VIVI en espa?ol! *Winner*
Santora Claws
Iced Fairy

Contest 20: Valentine's Day

MaxKnight
Sect
Iced Fairy *Winner*
Santora Claws
Ryuu
Erebus
Purvis *Won again after a long leave of absence but then disqualified due to death by bukkit*

Contest 21: Noir

MaxKnight
capt. h
Roukanken
Sect *Winner*
Iced Fairy
Kips
Ryuu

Contest 21.3: Mustaches

Santora Claws *Dinner*

Contest 22: Shakespeare

Roukanken*Winner*
SMS
Faithless Priest of Void

Contest 23: Dreams

Andrew
Squidtentacle
Himiko
Santora Claws
Iced Fairy
Faithless Priest of Void
Roukanken
Esifex
Guy You Met Online
capt. h
Sleepy/Humid
Donut*Winner*
Suikama
Conqueror
Affinity

Contest 24: Post-Apocalyptic Touhou

Andrew
T-A-C
Roukanken
Santora Claws
Iced Fairy *Winner*
Himiko
Azu-nyan
Guy You Met Online
Faithless Priest of Void
Squidtentacle

Contest 24.3: Esi's Challenge!: A Day in the Life of...

Faithless Priest of Void *Winner*
The Shim
Santora Claws
FallenAngel
Azu-nyan

Contest 24.7: Esi's Challenge!: Motivation to the Magic

Kips
Teruyo
Esifex *Disqualified due to being the person judging*

Contest 25: Lord of Maidens Plot Writing

Roukanken
Faithless Priest of Void *Winner*

Contest 26: Daily Life

Santora Claws
Spaztique
Roukanken
Iced Fairy *Winner*
Faithless Priest of Void

Contest 27: Myth

Santora Claws
Faithless Priest of Void
Iced Fairy *Winner*

Contest 28: Job Swap

Tai
VIVI
Santora Claws

Contest 28.5: Esi's Challenge!: The Feral Child

capt. h
Roukanken

Contest 29: Cripes, not again... Facebook Spam

Roukanken
nolrai2
capt. h
Scrittore
Santora Claws
Guy You Met Online
Conqueror *Winner*

Contest 30: Food

T-A-C
Unspoken Dyslexic
Sect
Ii Ii
capt. h
Kerigis *Winner*

Contest 31: Spice and Wolf Tengu
Gappy
capt. h
Sect *Winner*

Contest 32: Crossovers

capt. h
Zent
Tonomi *Winner*
Esifex

Contest 33: Origin Stories *Judging Ongoing*
=WARNING! WARNING! AN ICED FAIRY CHALLENGE APPROACHES!=
Zurocha
Guy You Met Online
Santora Claws
Squidtentacle
Himiko
triangles *Winner oh wait she fell over nevermind*
Iced Fairy *Extra Stage Boss*
capt. h
Yog-Sothoth
Nat Tea
Sect

Contest 34 : And that's the News from Lake Suwa

Contest 35 : Endings

--- End quote ---

This week's challenge exists because sometimes you just have this awesome idea at 2:40 AM that you just have to write.

[02:48] <Dragoshi> Ruro: That idea you mentioned earlier ago sounds glorious. du eet
[02:48] <Dragoshi> :V
[02:49] <Sakura-Rurouni> Touhou Nigerian Spam Email fanfiction?
[02:49] <Dragoshi> yes
[02:49] <Sakura-Rurouni> =D
[02:49] <Sakura-Rurouni> I already have a scenario in mind :3
[02:49] <LadyIlinaAty> ...
[02:49] <Dragoshi> yay
[02:49] <LadyIlinaAty> Touhou Nigerian Spam Email fanfiction, what.
[02:49] * Dragoshi ^5s Ruro
[02:49] <LadyIlinaAty> I don't even know anymore.
[02:49] <ItsPurvisHasLeftThisTimestream> *I want this to happen*
[02:51] <bofh> 04:56 < LadyIlinaAty> Touhou Nigerian Spam Email fanfiction, what.
[02:51] <bofh> Help I also have a scenario in mind
[02:51] <bofh> Let us write and then compare, Ruro!
[02:51] <Sakura-Rurouni> :D
[02:52] <Sakura-Rurouni> Right now?
[02:52] <bofh> Sure, why not?
[02:52] * Sakura-Rurouni opens up a new OpenOffice document
[02:52] <Sakura-Rurouni> Let's go!

February 15, 2010: Touhou Nigerian Spam Email fanfiction
The only requirement is that it contain the traditional Nigerian scam email format that we all know and love. Examples can be found here. Have fun!

First entries should be right below!

?lice Bl?ckb?rn:
My (fairly mediocre) attempt at a 419-spam-scam fanfic (warning: CAPS LOCK):
DEAR FELLOW RESIDENT OF GENSOKYO,

I AM EMAILING YOU AS A RESULT OF A PROPOSAL THAT HAS SUDDENLY COME UP DUE TO RECENT OCCURENCES IN YOUKAI MOUNTAIN. I AM SUWAKO J. MORIYA, GODDESS AND LEGAL COUNSEL FOR ONE SANAE KOTIYA AND ONE KANAKO YASAKA, WHO ARE NORMALLY THE SHRINE MAIDEN AND THE GODDESS OF THE SHRINE ON YOUKAI MOUNTAIN, RESPECTIVELY. DUE TO AN UNFORTUNATE ACCIDENT WITH A NUCLEAR-POWERED CROW, SOME GRILLED CHEESE AND A PLASTIC MODEL OF COLONEL SANDERS THAT YUKARI INAPPROPRIATELY GAPPED IN AT THE WRONG TIME, SEVERAL PEOPLE ARE TEMPORARILY OUT OF COMMISION AT THE SHRINE AND HAVE GIVEN ME FULL CONTROL OVER IT.

I AM CONTACTING YOU AS A RESULT OF THIS BECAUSE AROUND THE SAME TIME YUKARI ACCIDENTALLY MANAGED TO GAP IN SEVERAL BILLION OF THESE ESOTERIC ITEMS KNOWN AS "CURRENCY" AT THE SAME TIME. HOWEVER, DUE TO THE COLONEL AND THE CHEESE EXPLOSION, THIS WAS LEFT UNNOTICED BY EVERYONE ELSE (EXCEPT POSSIBLY YUKARI. WHO KNOWS WHAT THAT PERSON KNOWS.). AT THE PRESENT MOMENT, HOWEVER, I HAVE OTHER DUTIES TO DO THAT WILL PREVENT ME FROM GETTING THE MONEY DIRECTLY TO YOU. HOWEVER, IT IS STORED IN A SAFE LOCATION IN THE FOREST OF MAGIC, THE EXACT LOCATION OF WHICH NOBODY BUT MYSELF IS CURRENTLY AWARE OF. (AGAIN, EXCEPT FOR YUKARI. WHO KNOWS WHAT THAT PERSON KNOWS.)

WHAT I SEEK FROM YOU IS THE ASSISTANCE IN BOTH TRANSPORTATION OF THIS "CURRENCY" AS WELL AS CONVERSION OF IT TO A VALUABLE FORMAT (LET'S FACE IT, UNLESS YOU'RE REIMU, MONEY IS KIND OF WORTHLESS IN THIS PLACE). FOR YOUR COOPERATION, YOU WILL BE GRANTED (3) THREE MIRACLES OF YOUR CHOOSING, SUBJECT TO MINOR CONSTRAINTS. HOWEVER, I AM EXTREMELY GENEROUS, AND IN GENERAL WILL HAVE NO QUALMS ABOUT ACCEPTING YOUR WISH. ALL I ASK IS YOUR TIME AND A MINIMUM OF TWO OF YOUR MOST POWERFUL SPELLCARDS THAT COULD BE BEST USED IN SOME WAY TO MAKE THIS "CURRENCY" USEFUL.

AFTER MANY HOURS OF CONTEMPLATION I HAVE DEEMED YOU THE PERSON MOST WORTHY OF RECIEVING THESE REWARDS. PLEASE KINDLY RESPOND TO THIS MAIL PROMPTLY SO WE MAY COMMENCE WORK ON THIS PLAN AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. THE MORIYA SHRINE WILL ETERNALLY BE GRATEFUL FOR YOUR COOPERATION IN THESE MATTERS.

THANKS,
SUWAKO J. MORIYA

P.S. PLEASE ATTACH THE LOCATION OF ANY PLACES WHERE YOU LIVE AT AS WELL AS YOUR SCHEDULE FOR THE NEXT WEEK TO THIS MAIL. THANKS.

Alfred F. Jones:
Wheeeeeeee scenario

Kana Anaberal was the most bored person in the Anaberal Manor. A worthy accomplishment, for someone who wasn't even a person in the first place. She was a poltergeist.

After the events of PoDD, Kana had made Yumemi stick to her word, so she was no longer stuck with no one to haunt in the deserted manor. But as it turned out, being a wandering spirit was a lousy day-to-day existence, so she ended up hanging out with Reimu in the Hakurei Shrine. When that didn't work out either, she returned to Yumemi, where she was handed the chance of her life. Yumemi was going back to her world with Chiyuri, Rikako, Kotohime, Ellen, and Sokrates-- if it would please you, would you like to come along?

Of course, Yumemi was not motivated by some sort of desire to be nice. If the events of the tournament had taught the scientist anything, it was that neither she nor Chiyuri could not use true magic on their own, nor could they contain it and bring it back to their world. So they needed a subject, preferably willing, to come back to their world with them. Kana knew this, but she didn't mind. In exchange for a more interesting group of people to haunt, she signed the deal and returned with them.

She should have known it would have come with a catch.

The first problem was Rikako. She had neglected her magic in favor of science for so long that when she wanted to use it, she had lost the connection to it. Her magic was likely still within her; however, the connection to it had become atrophied in her mind. Kotohime did not have much magical ability in the first place, and what she had had, she had forgotten in favor of law enforcement. Ellen's form of magic was even stranger; it was all passive, manifesting itself only when someone around her was in danger. She held the 'Transistor' ability, meaning that no one around her could die. Useful, but not flashy enough to be unequivocally considered magic.

As for Kana: when crossing the border, none of them had taken into context its nature. Kana was the only one of the group who was a nonhuman; none of the others were affected when they'd crossed the border. She had been stripped of all her magical powers when she came to Yumemi's world, left with only a minimal amount of energy to stay 'alive'-- as well as a ghost could, in any case. She had just enough energy to rustle grass. However, inside her manor was another story; she could at least have a decent time, since the house was not alive, and so was not stripped of its latent magical energy when she came over.

Yumemi was disappointed, to say the least. All of her test subjects were denied the power of magic in one way or another, so she could not prove its existence. Still, she was not one to laze around, and she was not about to abandon them, either. They were valuable evidence. And over time, she did start to develop relationships with them, beyond those of a researcher and her mice. Rikako became Yumemi's colleague, working mostly with machines. Kotohime became a police officer, patrolling the city for crime to punish. Ellen became the housekeeper, along with her cat Sokrates. Chiyuri stayed on as Yumemi's assistant.

This left Kana with energy on her hands with nothing to do, confined to the Manor all day long. Japan's progress into the 21st Century had been kind to her; when she had come to Yumemi's world in the late 90's, she had immediately acquired a persocom and gotten internet.

And now, years later, subsisting on a diet of visual novels and imageboards, Kana lay around in the attic, finishing up a match of Melty Blood with someone overseas in Canada. As usual, she had nothing to do. She had just enough energy to muster up a feeble physical edge at the tips of her fingers, but she couldn't do much apart from type on keyboards. There was literally nothing to do, just as she didn't have anything to do for the past few decades...

So when the email arrived, Kana did not spare a second thought. Sure, it was a bit crazy, but really, what did a girl have to do to get some excitement around here?

-----

Three days later...

?Coffee is a marvelous drink. You really should try it.?

?Ugh, thanks, but no thanks. How can something that smells so good taste so bad??

Yumemi and Chiyuri were doing their early morning routine of arguing over tea and coffee. Yumemi preferred strawberry or raspberry tea; Chiyuri was a caffeine addict who had once taken hostages in Columbia in exchange for delicious coffee beans.

?It's 6:30,? Chiyuri noted. ?I'll go get the car started.?

?Nah, I'll take care of it,? Yumemi replied. She waved off her assistant's offer. ?Mind getting my water bottle out of the freezer, though? I'm teaching a class on advanced microbiology this semester, and you know how wordy that gets me.?

?Sure,? Chiyuri agreed, and Yumemi left the Anaberal Manor to go outside and start up the car.

Then she spied the short blue-haired girl with an umbrella waiting outside, in a horse-drawn chariot, in front of the car. She had various suitcases next to her. She was of regal bearing, despite her height, dressed in a pale pink shirt, and white slacks.

She also had bat wings.

Yumemi blinked.

?I should have drunk the coffee,? she muttered as she shuffled back inside.

She waited for a while, then opened the door again. The girl was still standing there. She closed the door again and waited for a while longer, then opened it again. Still no change.

The girl noted this, and walked towards her.

?I am Remilia Scarlet. I am honored to be invited to stay at your wonderful home.?

Yumemi nodded slowly, then walked back inside and closed the door behind her.

?What's going on? Did I drink too much strawberry vodka last night?? she asked as Kana floated down through the floorboards.

?Can I talk to you, Yumemi-san?? Kana asked.

?I can't talk right now,? Yumemi replied. ?I have some kinda weird guest--?

?Remilia Scarlet--? Kana cut her off.

?How did you--?  Yumemi began, her eyes narrowing. ?What did you do, Kana??

?Well,? Kana began, ?when I was online three nights ago, an interesting email came up... it read:

-----

?I AM A CITIZEN OF GENSOKYO ZAIRE, SISTER OF THE LATE FORMER LADY OF SCARLET PRESIDENT OF ZAIRE, FLANDRE SCARLET) SINCE THE DEATH OF MY SISTER SOME YEARS AGO I HAVE BEEN RESIDING IN NIGERIA ON TEMPORARY POLITICAL ASYLUM. ON MY ARRIVAL IN NIGERIA AFTER MY LATE SISTER'S BURIAL, I CAME INTO NIGERIA WITH A DIPLOMATIC PACKAGED CONSIGNMENT CONTAINING THE SUM $31,540,000.00 (THIRTY ONE MILLION, FIVE HUNDRED AND FORTY THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS) WHICH I GOT FROM PART OF THE MONEY MY LATE SISTER MADE THROUGH DIAMONDS SALES WHEN SHE WAS LADY OF SCARLET THE PRESIDENT OF ZAIRE FOR ABOUT 32 YEARS.

"PRECISELY, SINCE MY ARRIVAL WITH THE DIPLOMATIC PACKAGED CONSIGNMENT IT HAS BEEN SAFELY KEPT WITH A SECURITY COMPANY HERE IN NIGERIA MOREOVER,I DO NOT WANT TO INVEST THIS MONEY IN ANY PART OF AFRICA DUE TO THE CONSTANT POLITICAL INSTABILITY IN GENSOKYO AFRICA.MY PLAN IS TO USE THIS MONEY TO INVEST IN A PROFITABLE BUSINESS IN ANY PART OF THE WORLD APART FROM GENSOKYO AFRICA, ALSO TO PURCHASE A RESIDENTIAL ACCOMMODATION. I WILL COME OVER AND SETTLE THERE WITH MY FAMILY.

"HENCE,I AM SOLICITING FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE AS MY FOREIGNPARTNER TO RECEIVE THIS MONEY ON MY BEHALF ON ARRIVAL ABROAD AND TO KEEP IT IN A SAFE PLACE PENDING MY ARRIVAL TO JOIN YOU UP. UPON THE RECEIPT OF YOUR ACCEPTANCE TO MY PROPOSAL, I CAN IMMEDIATELY ARRANGE FOR THE MONEY TO LEAVE NIGERIA IN YOUR FAVOUR (i.e. AS THE BENEFICIARY) FOR ONWARD MOVEMENT TO WHERE I HAVE CONNECTION IN ASIA OR NOTHERN AMERICA WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF A SECURITY COMPANY , THEN YOU WILL ASSIST ME TO RECEIVE IT OVER THERE AS MY FOREIGN PARTNER.

"I SHALL INFORM YOU WITH NEXT LINE OF ACTION AS SOON AS I RECEIVE YOUR POSITIVE RESPONSE. YOUR URGENT REPONSE THROUGH MY E-MAIL SHALL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED. YOU CAN ALSO REACH ME ON MY OTHER MAILBOX AT..."

?Hmm.? Koakuma, the SDM's best scribe tapped her pen against her chin. ?Is this really how letters are written in the other world, Patchouli-sama??

?All my sources tell me that's exactly the format,? Patchouli replied honestly.

?Well, then,? she said, handing the completed letter to Patchouli, who handed it to the maid. ?Type this up and send it with the Kappa, Sakuya-san. If Remilia really wants to wander around the other world, then if nothing else I can at least try to keep her comfortable.?

?At once,? Sakuya said, bowing and disappearing from sight.

-----

?Oh, Sakuya-san. Nice to see you.?

?You work here, Sanae??

?Yes. Nitori finds me useful around the office for tech support. Anyway, what do you need??

?Can you type this letter up for me and send it to all the email addresses you know??

?Uh... Sakuya, I don't think this is what... Uh...?

?Hm? What is it??

?Oh... never mind... it's just a paycheck, just a paycheck... No one who receives it will actually believe it, anyway...?

-----

?She has over Thirty-one million U.S.D!? Kana said with glee. ?And she wants to start a business! Imagine if she pumps that money into my Manor! I could become rich! Then I can buy all the VNs I want!?

?So why didn't you invite her to YOUR place!?? Yumemi hissed.

?This IS my place!? Kana shot back.

?Kana, we've got no guarantee she'll make a deal with us! And why should I help you, anyway?!?

?I'll give you half the take,? Kana said flatly. ?Even if she gives us a third of the money, that would still net you Five. Million. Dollars.?

?Say no more.? Dollar signs lit up in Yumemi's eyes. She spat in her hand and shook Kana's hand as best as she could. ?Done!?

♛ Apher-Forte:
I lol'd quite hard.

here's to the best scientist ever will have in or outside of Gensokyo, equivalent of having the brain of a certain sputlzy 2 headed galaxy president.

IcedFairy:
I like this plan!  I am excited to be a part of it!

My only worry is that the scam I'm working with might not be Nigerian in origin.  However it was too great to pass up.

-----

The young man hurried as fast as he could down the darkened path, the heavy backpack he was carrying slowing him down.

It was pure foolishness to be out here this late at night, but the opportunity was too good to pass up!  He was so lucky to have gotten the letter at his house.  He pulled out the printed note and looked it over once again, marveling at his good fortune.

"HELLO,

I AM A YOUKAI IN THE FOREST WITH BIG PROPOSITION FOR YOU.  ON A TRIP TO HUMAN VILLAGE I BOUGHT A LOTTERY TICKET AS A SUVINEER OF MY JOURNEY.  I THEN RETURNED TO MY HOME, IN THE FOREST.

RECENTLY I HEARD FROM MY FAMILY IN THE HUMAN VILLAGE THAT MY LOTTO TICKET WAS THE LUCKY WINNER FOR 20,000,000 YEN.  I TRIED TO COLLECT PRIZE, BUT THIS PRIZE REQUIRES TO BE COLLECTED IN PERSON AND BY HUMANS ONLY.  AS I AM A YOUKAI IN THE FOREST I AM PREVENTED FROM COLLECTING.

I NEED A HUMAN I CAN TRUST TO COLLECT THE PRIZE MONEY.  MY SOURCES TELL ME YOU ARE A VERY HONEST AND TRUSTWORTHY INDIVIDUAL, SO I HAVE SENT YOU THIS LETTER IN THE HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME.  IN EXCHANGE FOR YOUR HELP I WILL GIVE YOU 50% OF MY WINNINGS, PLUS ANOTHER 10 THOUSAND YEN COLLECTORS FEE.

ALL I NEED FOR YOU TO DO IS BRING 30 POUNDS MEAT AS A DOWNPAYMENT TO THE PATH NORTH OF HUMAN VILLAGE AFTER DARK ON TUESDAY AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE WINNING TICKET.  IF YOU CAN'T GET 30 POUNDS OF MEAT, 20 POUNDS OF MEET WITH SPICE WOULD ALSO BE GOOD.  I WILL MEET YOU THERE TO GIVE THE WINNING TICKET.

YOURS TRUELY,
RUMIA

PS IF POSSIBLE BRING BBQ SAUCE SO I KNOW THAT THE HUMAN IS YOU.  I WILL BRING FORK AND KNIFE SO YOU KNOW IT IS ME.

--

Two figures surveyed the path north of the human village from high in the air.

"I don't believe that idiot!" Reimu said in digust.  "How could anyone have fallen for that?  There's no lotto of that size in the human village, and even if there was no one would be stupid enough to refuse to give the winning prize to a youkai."  She turned to yell down at the distant figure, "Hey moron!  Didn't you notice every single house in the village had one of those notes?!  It was the talk of the town all day!"

Aya sighed deeply.  "It's not like Rumia's doing much better.  She's just sitting in her cloud of darkness in the middle of the road."  The reporter shook her head in disdain.  "Would it be that much harder to hide in the bushes and ambush the fool?"

Reimu snorted.  "Why would she need to?  The moron's going to run right into that cloud of darkness.  Just you watch."

Sure enough the young man went straight into the darkness cloud.

"Shouldn't you help that human out?" Aya asked the shrine maiden.

"If she eats him she'll be doing the village a favor."  Reimu briefly glanced up at the tengu.  "Why'd you let her use your printing press for those notes anyway?"

Aya shrugged.  "Slow news week."

"Oh look."  Reimu pointed.  "Looks like he managed to not die."

Sure enough the young man was fleeing from the darkness cloud.  Somewhere in there he'd gained a few bite marks, and his backpack was spilling meat behind him from a large tear in it, but he seemed mostly unharmed. 

The cloud of darkness however was in quick pursuit!  At least until it slammed into a tree and stopped moving.  The young man however didn't bother to look back.  He just kept running for the safety of the village.

Aya finished scribbling some notes.  "And so it ends.  Well maybe I can make a comedy piece out of it."

"Good luck with that.  Me?  I'm going to grab that meat."  Reimu began flying down.

"Hey!"  Aya gave Reimu a look.  "As much as I hate to admit it Rumia earned that meat fairly.  Well fairly for a youkai.  Has the Hakurei shrine maiden been forced to resort to stealing to make ends meet?"

Reimu sighed then shrugged.  "Fine fine.  You grab the kid, I'll grab the meat, and we'll split the proceeds three ways.  You can do a food column or something."

"Now you're talking."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version