Author Topic: Reading UFO's song notes... got me thinking about umbrella's.  (Read 1942 times)

Cow Nose The 50 Pound Cat

• I am a:
  • *nom nom nom*
Reading UFO's song notes... got me thinking about umbrella's.
« on: August 01, 2011, 05:45:49 PM »
This might not be the right forum for this, I couldn't decide between here or the general discussion forum.  Anyways, I am new here so hello!  (I'll spiffy up my profile eventually, but I felt like making this thread)

Anyways, I was reading the notes to "No. 5 Beware the Umbrella Left There Forever" and they prompted some thought.  I'll transcribe the english translated notes:

No. 5 Beware the Umbrella Left There Forever
♪Beware the Umbrella Left There Forever
This is Kogasa Tatara's theme.
Most people probably buy quite a few umbrellas over their lives.  You forget them on trains, and you buy vinyl umbrellas when you're caught in sudden rain.  Anyway, I wrote this song based on the image of a self-centered karakasa youkai who gets depressed easily despite her cheery nature.

I find this interesting because where I live, we get very little rain.  In my lifetime I have owned 2 umbrella's neither of which I bought.  That is the question I propose to you my new forum friends:  Do you share anything in common with the umbrella-buying nature of Japan?  Or is it as dry over there, as it is here in Albuquerque?  Forgive me if this seems like a stupid topic to you, I found it interesting. XD

[edit] Corrected song title.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:19:28 PM by Cow Nose The 50 Pound Cat »
Ia Touhou! Ia Touhou!  Touhou Fhtagn!

7TC7

• In best company
Re: Reading UFO's song notes... got me thinking about umbrella's.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 06:13:45 PM »
First thing
"Beware the Umbrella Left There Forever" is track 5 and not 6, which is "Sky Ruin". Two different songs. I have no idea what happened there on your end~

Second thing
No, the japanese umbrella-fashion is not at all common here in Austria. It's not like it's not raining often here, but my family has had only two umbrellas which we are using since forever (at least 20 years). I personally have not even used an umbrella once in these 20 years, for whatever that's worth, as I like the rain a lot.
...considering how few our umbrellas are used, couldn't they be called "left there (in a corner near the exit) forever" as well?

It's a shame really, because I like umbrellas a lot - not for their use but for their looks. Yukari, Yuka and Kogasa might or might not have played a vital role in creating this mindset of mine.

< picture leads to my YouTube channel

Cow Nose The 50 Pound Cat

• I am a:
  • *nom nom nom*
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 06:22:32 PM »
Thank you for the reply!  Yeah I see what I did, I had "Sky Ruin" selected but the game was still playing "Beware the Umrella Left There Forever" and so I got confused as to which song was playing.

I wholeheartedly agree with your response, and thanks for the very interesting story!  I too love the rain, I even like to go bicycle riding in it.
Ia Touhou! Ia Touhou!  Touhou Fhtagn!

Drake

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:48:35 PM »
It's very common to ride trains in Japan, and due to being on an island near the ocean, it does rain a lot. Umbrellas are likely not very expensive either, and aren't made to last incredibly long periods of time because of this as well. So, forgetting them places happens.

Difference here is that we have one rainy period and then we sparsely get rain until winter. The umbrellas we have here are mostly made to last for at least the whole year because of the yearly rain patterns, and are quite expensive. So, we aren't really as likely to forget them.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 10:52:09 PM »
An umbrella for my area is more of a must, it rains fairly often around the Pittsburgh area, forecasts are covered with reports of scattered showers anymore, so having a retractable umbrella can be quite useful.