Author Topic: Nintendo announces... the 2DS...  (Read 7722 times)

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
Re: Nintendo announces... the 2DS...
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 09:01:53 AM »
Off topic, but I love how Ghaleon's avatar is Noire, and (a) Noire posts right after.

That said, I expect Nintendo to garner a modest success off of this (mostly due to, as everyone's talking about, PKMN X and Y version simul-release), but it feels like the Advance Micro - something that could have been cool, but ends up flopping. It makes me feel like Nintendo's basically saying their main gimmick this handheld generation was stupid, even for them.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 09:26:38 AM »
Off topic, but I love how Ghaleon's avatar is Noire, and (a) Noire posts right after.
Hey, I can't make any good amalgamations with my usual two names. And having the same name all the time is quite boring.

Anyway waiting for 2DS combo with version lineart in black on a blue/red on the back of the 2DS with associated version preinstalled.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 03:28:01 PM »
I can appreciate the reduced cost, but as someone who values the hinge for portability purposes and enjoys the 3D function, I don't regret my original purchase.

Still, best wishes to those who will take advantage of this opportunity.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 03:54:39 PM »
For the last couple of months I've been using a 3DS that I'm borrowing with intent to purchase from a former co-worker. I hate the 3D function and am not a huge fan of the build quality and most of the features, so I think I'm going to buy a 2DS unless he drops the price down to a competitive level. Now I feel bad for not having paid him for it yet, but I guess it's good for me...
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 10:19:18 PM »
bit suprised no one has mentioned that the 2DS only has 1 SPEAKER and can only play MONO sound.

Better yet here's the teck spec comparisons directly from nintendo

Sp basically, it has the same size of screens as teh original 3DS, can't be folded, only has Mono sound unless using headphones, no power saving mode, worse batter life than the XL and can't be folded, GG Nintendo, if they seriously think they're fooling teh kids this is aimed at then they MUST be smoking something.

The only plus I see from the 2DS is the actual design of the thing being more childproof and less liable to be snapped in half, but in saying that, kid AREN'T stupid, they KNOW when they're being taken for an idiot, the only people who are gonna buy it are the Parent's of teh kids who want a 3DS since it's so cheap, and hey, the less money they have to spend the better right?!But I ain't gonna be surprised if we see TONS of the things in shops like EB games and Game 2nd hand or something.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:34:53 PM by Zork787 »
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 10:42:29 PM »
bit suprised no one has mentioned that the 2DS only has 1 SPEAKER and can only play MONO sound.

Sp basically, it has the same size of screens as teh original 3DS, can't be folded, only has Mono sound unless using headphones, no power saving mode, worse batter life than the XL and can't be folded, GG Nintendo, if they seriously think they're fooling teh kids this is aimed at then they MUST be smoking something.

The only plus I see from the 2DS is the actual design of the thing being more childproof and less liable to be snapped in half, but in saying that, kid AREN'T stupid, they KNOW when they're being taken for an idiot, the only people who are gonna buy it are the Parent's of teh kids who want a 3DS since it's so cheap, and hey, the less money they have to spend the better right?!But I ain't gonna be surprised if we see TONS of the things in shops like EB games and Game 2nd hand or something.

I know at least three people (including myself) who are planning on buying it for independently the same reasons: We want to play the new Pokemon but don't like the 3DS enough to use it as our primary handheld device. Speaking for me, I semi-own a 3DS but use it only when I need to do something online or play a 3DS-exclusive game. The rest of the time I use my first-wave DS because I like the placement of the d-pad better and it feels less fragile and would cost less to replace if I lost or broke it. Given the choice between buying a full 3DS that I won't really use and buying a 2DS that I won't really use I'll take the cheaper option.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Phoenon

• Let's Rock, Baby
  • Woop Woop
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 10:46:02 PM »
Well, the mono isn't really that bad I guess since I use headphones with all my handhelds anyways. Still don't like how it can't fold though, and I think I'd just go with the 3DS XL anyways considering it looks more comfortable and has a much better battery life.

Or maybe just wait for the 2DS XL that's foldable, has better battery life and all other features barring the 3D and costing the same as a regular 3DS, courtesy of our lord and savior Reggie Films Anime.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 10:55:28 PM »
Well, the mono isn't really that bad I guess since I use headphones with all my handhelds anyways.

Basically this, but what concerns me more is that lack of a power-saving mode. If this is aimed at kids, they're probably not going to be playing while tethered to a wall outlet.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 04:59:27 AM »
Basically this, but what concerns me more is that lack of a power-saving mode. If this is aimed at kids, they're probably not going to be playing while tethered to a wall outlet.

There is a sleep mode switch on the bottom of the handheld, I saw.

EDIT: never mind, I was confused for a moment.

Yeah, I suppose that may be a thing? I was confused because I had never used that feature before, so I didn't even know it was there. :p
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 05:01:40 AM by Yumatsuri Okazaki »

Drake

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2013, 05:10:02 AM »
The real question (and main draw) for the 2DS would be, "Is it made of Nintendium?"

Because from the matte look, no-flimsy-parts design and marketing "to kids", it sort of seems like it.

I know I sure did!

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 06:29:01 AM »
Have you tried to catch legendaries before?

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 06:55:00 AM »
Power saving mode isn't really an issue. I've hardly even noticed what it does, really. Or does it only dim the screen after a period of inactivity or something? It has the same screen size as a 3DS but a better battery capacity than the 3DS. The mono sound isn't something a kid is going to notice or care about.

As far as things go in my opinion, it's an economical 3DS. If I didn't already have one, it would totally be a valid option if it weren't so... distinctly shaped.

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2013, 10:46:11 AM »
I didn't read the previous posts, so I don't know if it has already been said.

The purpose of the 2DS is to boost the sales of Nintendo this coming Christmas. It is to be more economical to other consumers than the 3DS as it's an entry-level portable console, and also to be more lightweight.
It of course features no 3D capability, and what sucks more is the portability. It may be smaller and lightweight, but it's still bigger than a folded 3DS, which is portable to carry in a pocket.

This would've been a great idea for them, since 3DS has some certain issues we already know about(eg. makes some people feel dizzy). The only real bad thing here is the design, which they could just make it look like the original DS, or 3DS but without the 3D feature...but then again, they aim "Kid's safety".
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:50:00 AM by En »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2013, 12:58:59 PM »
The lack of portability is the lesser of two evils, given they're marketing toward kids. While it's nice that the 3DS folds, give a kid a toy built like the 3DS and the first thing to break will be the hinges, guaranteed.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2013, 01:21:20 PM »
Even if I'm not interested in the 3D feature, that hinge makes things far more compact for the nerd on the go.

This is actually quite informative!
The lack of portability is the lesser of two evils, given they're marketing toward kids. While it's nice that the 3DS folds, give a kid a toy built like the 3DS and the first thing to break will be the hinges, guaranteed.
Either way a platoon of styli will go MIA within the first week of their tour of duty. Lost, but not forgotten. o7

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2013, 09:27:42 PM »
Either way a platoon of styli will go MIA within the first week of their tour of duty. Lost, but not forgotten. o7

I have to say, I kinda miss the little strap that came with the original DS that you could attach to the DS itself and it had a hard piece of plastic on the end that you could tighten onto your thumb or whatever and use that as a stylus. That'd be pretty nice to bring back for people who are always losing theirs (and 3DS styli aren't exactly cheap since they're not just plastic anymore, but the fancy schmancy telescoping design now...

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2013, 09:57:49 PM »

Which is exactly why they were the first thing to go on my brother's DS!

And then mine which I gave him when I got a DSi!

WITHIN TWO DAYS OF HIM GETTING IT.

So, yeah, hinges are weak points, and kids are great at destroying weak points in expensive tech with tremendous efficiency.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2013, 04:06:02 AM »
Didn't think making a new thread was worth it for this, but this is apparently a thing as well. (Except apparently not really)

I have no idea what to think anymore. I guess it'd be funny though.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 04:08:39 AM by Oddasseus the Indestructable »

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2013, 04:07:50 AM »
*Not actually a real device or price. See dreams for details.