Author Topic: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread  (Read 150722 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread
« Reply #420 on: July 11, 2016, 01:27:09 PM »
Yeah, that can definitely be a thing unfortunately. It's been my opinion and the opinions of most of the people I play with often that Commande isn't as much about winning as it is collectively creating the perfect Commander game (and then hopefully winning if it works out). The perfect Commander game doesn't involve someone repeatedly comboing out on turn five, but it also doesn't involve someone stalling and dragging the game out forever.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #421 on: July 15, 2016, 08:56:04 PM »
So I put in a preorder for a box of Eldritch Moon since I won't be able to attend prerelease. I'm not sure if I'm still in that period of early optimism where every set looks better than the last or the sets that have been coming out this year have just been that good.

congratulations Wizards you finally have me excited to play Blue

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #422 on: July 15, 2016, 09:02:58 PM »
I'm totally stoked to play UW Spirits in Standard and Spirit Sprites in Modern. So disgusting. Very evasive. Much counters.

I'll be at my LGS at 7 for Modern, and I'll stick around for prerelease at midnight.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #423 on: July 15, 2016, 10:20:33 PM »
Figured out what I want to morph my mono-green Commander deck into. I'm going to use Trostani, Selesnya's Voice. She's doubly build-around-able since I can use lifegain stuff and token stuff. Not sure I have enough of either, but the upgrade is only going to cost me $20 or so, so if it doesn't work continuing to tinker won't be too costly.

What really sold me on the deck is the interaction with Phyrexian Processor. That seems... Really scary. :o

« Reply #424 on: July 15, 2016, 10:28:50 PM »
Figured out what I want to morph my mono-green Commander deck into. I'm going to use Trostani, Selesnya's Voice. She's doubly build-around-able since I can use lifegain stuff and token stuff. Not sure I have enough of either, but the upgrade is only going to cost me $20 or so, so if it doesn't work continuing to tinker won't be too costly.

What really sold me on the deck is the interaction with Phyrexian Processor. That seems... Really scary. :o
It would be a bit costly but now I'm imagining Trostani with Voice of Resurgence

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #425 on: July 16, 2016, 08:21:06 AM »
Went 2-2 in EMN draft. Didn't really pull anything too outstanding, but my deck was pretty okay.

Prerelease Promo: Docent of Perfection.
I'm actually pretty pleased. He's no money card, but I do love Delver of Secrets, so having his final form in foil is pretty sweet.

Pulls:
1. Deathcap Cultivator
2, Altered Ego
3. Oath of Liliana
4. Mirrorwing Dragon (Pretty cool! This went in my deck)
5. Soul Separator // Imprisoned By The Moon (foil)
6. Tree of Perdition

Meanwhile, the girl across from me literally pulled Liliana as her foil Promo, and then pulled Gisela AND Tamiyo. Some people have all the damn luck. :(

Pull from the participation award pack: Bedlam Reveler. Meh.

Either way, I had a pretty decent time. Tired as hell, though.

« Reply #426 on: July 21, 2016, 03:56:31 AM »
A bunch of people had leftover prize packs from prerelease so I had a chance to play in an unofficial Eldritch Moon draft before release. I can already see plenty of fun synergies and interactions. In particular the blue-red spellslinger deck looks way more dangerous now.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #427 on: July 22, 2016, 10:37:27 PM »
Had an AMAZING FNM today.

I decided I'd dust off my old budget Affinity deck for a change of pace. Went and picked up a playset of Blinkmoth Nexus to step it up a bit.

Before the matches I bought a 3-pack of cards to get in the promo drawing. Nothing too great came out of it. Bought a second 3-pack and got a Mausoleum Wanderer. 1/4 on how many I need!

Match 1: vs. Death & Taxes, win 2-1
Match 2: vs. Grixis Control, win 2-1
This was actually incredibly tense. This guy is the reason why I stopped playing Affinity, because his deck is pretty much my worst matchup. Game 1, he had a shit hand and I did not. Game 2, he trampled me. Game 3, I had a Leyline of Sanctity out and was able to beat him down in time. Very good feeling.
Match 3: vs. some janky blue devotion deck, win 2-1
This deck was actually pretty cool, just really slow.

Soooo I ended up going undefeated and got 1st place!
Promo: Spatial Contortion
Won 4 packs, ended up getting a Spell Queller (1/4 needed!). Was very happy.
Then I heard the drawing for the ticket promo. I won that too. It was the Buy-a-Box version of Thalia, Heretic Cathar. (Hover over the card to see the promo art.) I'm so fucking happy, I was seriously considering buying a booster box just so I could be guaranteed this card-- not just because I wanted her, but because that art is fucking gorgeous.

So yes, very good day. Probably the best Magic day I've had since I started.

« Reply #428 on: July 23, 2016, 05:03:43 AM »
I picked up my booster box today, got a fairly ridiculous haul:

Bloodhall Priest
Bruna, the Fading Light
Coax from the Blind Eternities
Collective Defiance
Collective Effort x2
Dark Salvation
Docent of Perfection
Elder Deep-Fiend
Eldritch Evolution
Emrakul's Evangel
Eternal Scourge
Geier Reach Sanitarium
Hanweir Battlements x2
Harmless Offering
Heron's Grace Champion (1 regular, 1 foil)
Impetuous Devils
Imprisoned in the Moon
Liliana, the Last Hope
Lupine Prototype
Mausoleum Wanderer (foil)
Nahiri's Wrath
Oath of Liliana
Sanctifier of Souls
Soul Separator
Spell Queller
Splended Reclamation
Stitcher's Graft
Summary Dismissal
Tamiyo, Field Researcher
Thalia, Heretic Cathar
Thalia's Lancers x2
Ulrich of the Krallenhorde
Ulvenwald Observer
Wharf Infiltrator

Also got an additional Dark Salvation and Spell Queller plus a Decimator of the Provinces from drafting and the promo Thalia and Identity Thief, plus an extra Goblin Chieftain promo they had sitting around from May. Life is good.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #429 on: July 23, 2016, 09:34:48 AM »
Hot damn that's a nice haul. I'm hoping to split a booster box with a friend this upcoming weekend-- hopefully I get to keep the Thalia (I need 2 anyway) and can snag more Mausoleum Wanderers and Spell Quellers. An Emrakul would be super nice, too.

Eldritch Moon is shaping up to be really fantastic so far, isn't it? I'm actually excited to play standard for once.

« Reply #430 on: July 26, 2016, 01:02:09 AM »
My recent pulls have me wanting to build some kind of blue-white control deck (although maybe with a splash of green)

Must-includes:
Mausoleum Wanderer: A good creature that can come in early and either start chipping away for damage or
Rattlechains: Protects other creatures and helps other spirits that don't already have Flash to get in.
Spell Queller: The entire reason I'm building this deck.
Reflector Mage: Not a spirit but a fairly crucial control piece.
Prairie Stream and Port Town: The optimal UW mana sources available in Standard right now.

Want to includes:
Always Watching: Vigilance and +1/+1 is a huge boost for fliers.
Bygone Bishop: Helps with card draw.
Collective Effort: Acts as a buff for creatures and can act as removal if needed.
Tamiyo, Field Researcher: Requires splashing a third color but all of those abilities are incredibly useful.
Thunderclap Wyvern: The deck is very flyer-heavy so could use another thing to help push it along.
Topplegeist: With being able to flash it in off Rattlechains it becomes useful for locking down an attacker and buying a turn.

Maybe look at:
Dragonlord Ojutai: Works really well with Always Watching, although will be rotating out and losing value soon.
Jace, Unraveler of Secrets: Good for drawing cards and bouncing creatures, both things the deck wants to do
Westvale Abbey: Pretty much every deck with a lot of creatures wants one of these.

Not considering:
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy/Telepath Unbound: Too much money for a card that's rotating out of Standard in 3 months.
Selfless Spirit: Everything's based around exile or debuff effects right now so indestructible really doesn't do much.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #431 on: July 26, 2016, 01:38:00 AM »
My Trostani, Selesnya's Voice Commander is done. Or I guess I should say, I finally received all of the remaining pieces in the mail. It has some apparent garbage like Devout Incantation, Soul Separator, and Growing Ranks that might turn out to be worth it but will probably end up sucking big time. Unfortunately there aren't a ton of on-theme cards that I can replace them with and I'm a bit worried about generating enough worthwhile tokens to consistently Populate, so cutting them for goodstuff might not be a great call.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #432 on: July 26, 2016, 08:20:41 AM »
My recent pulls have me wanting to build some kind of blue-white control deck (although maybe with a splash of green)

Must-includes:
Mausoleum Wanderer: A good creature that can come in early and either start chipping away for damage or
Rattlechains: Protects other creatures and helps other spirits that don't already have Flash to get in.
Spell Queller: The entire reason I'm building this deck.
Reflector Mage: Not a spirit but a fairly crucial control piece.
Prairie Stream and Port Town: The optimal UW mana sources available in Standard right now.

Want to includes:
Always Watching: Vigilance and +1/+1 is a huge boost for fliers.
Bygone Bishop: Helps with card draw.
Collective Effort: Acts as a buff for creatures and can act as removal if needed.
Tamiyo, Field Researcher: Requires splashing a third color but all of those abilities are incredibly useful.
Thunderclap Wyvern: The deck is very flyer-heavy so could use another thing to help push it along.
Topplegeist: With being able to flash it in off Rattlechains it becomes useful for locking down an attacker and buying a turn.

Maybe look at:
Dragonlord Ojutai: Works really well with Always Watching, although will be rotating out and losing value soon.
Jace, Unraveler of Secrets: Good for drawing cards and bouncing creatures, both things the deck wants to do
Westvale Abbey: Pretty much every deck with a lot of creatures wants one of these.

Not considering:
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy/Telepath Unbound: Too much money for a card that's rotating out of Standard in 3 months.
Selfless Spirit: Everything's based around exile or debuff effects right now so indestructible really doesn't do much.

You literally just described UW Spirits! http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/standard-type-2/standard-new-card-discussion/726431-uw-spirits

It's what I plan on running for sure, and it's so fucking versatile. There's a tempo version, a control version (championed by Hoogland), and a midrange version (what I plan on playing). That thread's a great resource.

Also, Selfless Spirit's been determined to be a pretty top tier card for the deck! It's a nice flying clock that can be used for combat tricks.

Hallowed Moonlight and Unsubstantiate are also core control pieces too - - the former fucks over Collected Company, tokens, and Nahiri strategies, and the latter is a beautiful pseudo-Remand/Unsummon. Essence Flux is a instant playset card too, for creature protection, combos, and combat tricks. It gives +1/+1 to spirits!

Always Watching > Thunderclap Wyvern imo. It affects non-fliers, gives Vigilance, and isn't as easily removed.

If you're considering running Topplegeist, definitely run a playset of Nebelgast Herald. So much tapping.

I'm really excited for this deck. I'm trying to figure out how to fit Thalia in, as well.

« Reply #433 on: July 26, 2016, 03:20:56 PM »
You literally just described UW Spirits! http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/standard-type-2/standard-new-card-discussion/726431-uw-spirits

It's what I plan on running for sure, and it's so fucking versatile. There's a tempo version, a control version (championed by Hoogland), and a midrange version (what I plan on playing). That thread's a great resource.

Also, Selfless Spirit's been determined to be a pretty top tier card for the deck! It's a nice flying clock that can be used for combat tricks.

Hallowed Moonlight and Unsubstantiate are also core control pieces too - - the former fucks over Collected Company, tokens, and Nahiri strategies, and the latter is a beautiful pseudo-Remand/Unsummon. Essence Flux is a instant playset card too, for creature protection, combos, and combat tricks. It gives +1/+1 to spirits!

Always Watching > Thunderclap Wyvern imo. It affects non-fliers, gives Vigilance, and isn't as easily removed.

If you're considering running Topplegeist, definitely run a playset of Nebelgast Herald. So much tapping.

I'm really excited for this deck. I'm trying to figure out how to fit Thalia in, as well.
I had Essence Flux in the must-includes but it somehow slipped my mind.

Concept for my spirit deck, splashing green for Collected Company and Tamiyo
Upgraded version of my monowhite aggro deck

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #434 on: August 12, 2016, 02:47:46 AM »
Game Day's coming up. How's your deck working out for you, TAC?

« Reply #435 on: August 12, 2016, 03:30:41 AM »
Game Day's coming up. How's your deck working out for you, TAC?
I kind of decided to shift focus to a GW Collected Company/Humans deck to use what I already had. I'm not going to make it to Game Day because of work considerations, but there's some local standard I can still participate in outside of that.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #436 on: August 14, 2016, 12:15:05 AM »
Game Day crosspost.

I went 3-1 and came in 3rd. If it wasn't for a VERY bad luck streak in match 3, I could have potentially won, but I'm feeling pretty good.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #437 on: August 14, 2016, 12:30:23 AM »
Yeah, that really looks like my kind of deck. I'm a big fan of tempo. Always Watching is a sketchy card, but it seems like it could do so much good when it works.

Edit: Is Ongoing Investigation a standard include in this sort of deck? I was just looking at your list and thinking "Not sure how I would be able to resist cramming a bunch of draw in here", but there is that. Six enchantments total that don't impact the board directly seems like a lot, but it's an interesting idea.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 12:35:35 AM by commandercool »

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #438 on: August 14, 2016, 12:40:56 AM »
So many people say it's no good, but it's consistently an objectively good card in this deck, and honestly I feel my results justify it-- I rarely, if ever, lose once it hits the board. It lets me attack and block if need be, it lets me sac Mausoleum Wanderer for higher value, it stops Liliana from killing my shit, it stops Languish from killing Avacyn. It gives an enhanced clock on my opponent's life, which gives them less time to fix their own board state and do damage to me.

It's an excellent finisher, overall-- drop it when you have no other creatures to play and have enough mana to throw a counter/unsubstantiate, and wreck faces. Being able to go from having 1 life and my opponent having 29 and still killing them means it's a stellar card for making comebacks. Maybe side it out against decks that run extremely high power/toughness flyers.

Ongoing Investigation has been more of an experimental card for us-- and it does pretty well, actually! Since you're almost always attacking unblocked, you rack up lots of clues to sac with leftover mana. On the other hand, it's the card I ended up siding out the most, too. But think of it this way-- it's 2 mana for a source of card draw that's nearly limitless, while Anticipate only gives you one card, Fortune's Favor and Epiphany at the Drownyard are HUGE gambles, and Pore Over the Pages costs too much to be worth it. As far as I see it, Ongoing Investigation is the most solid card for card draw for Spirits, because it's underestimated. No one's going to counter it, thinking it's a threat-- but when you realize they can't stop me from sacrificing clues to draw cards, it feels totally worth it.

You're right though, six enchantments that don't directly affect the board is a lot-- that's why they were frequently my first choices to sideboard out. It's nice for it to be an easy decision, though-- but I think it's a good idea to keep Always Watching in, if possible.

Think of it this way, as far as AW goes:

Turn 1: Land -> Mausoleum Wanderer
Turn 2: Land, attack for 1, or 2 if you cast a Selfless Spirit. If not Selfless Spirit, cast Rattlechains at end of opponent turn
Turn 3: Land, attack for 3, cast Spell Queller, Rattlechains, Nebelgast Herald, or Selfless Spirit at end of opponent turn (Selfless only if Rattlechains comes down)
Turn 4: Land if you have it, Cast Always Watching, attack for 8 with flying and vigilance
Turn 5: Land if you have it, attack for 8. Cast a Spirit or two, Avacyn, or sac a Spirit to cast Elder Deep-Fiend on opponent turn.
Turn 6: Attack for 11 if you cast a Spirit; 14 if you cast two; 13 if you cast Avacyn, or 10 if you cast Deep-Fiend.

Of course, it never works out that perfectly, but even if you are attacking for 5-8 every turn with blocking potential with just 2-3 spirits and casting counters for the rest of the game, you're WAY better off than doing 3-5 damage and having to have them be tapped.

Always Watching also gets Spell Queller out of burn damage range, too, Exquisite Firecraft aside. With two, it's safe from Languish and Grasp of Darkness.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 12:55:48 AM by Matsuri »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #439 on: August 14, 2016, 01:08:56 AM »
...and honestly I feel my results justify it-- I rarely, if ever, lose once it hits the board.

Just keep in mind that this has to be counterbalanced by any games you've lost that you could have won if Always Watching was another tempo spell or creature, or even any hands you've had to mulligan because you opened with two Always Watchings or something. Not saying it's bad by any means, but those the concerns with this sort of card.

But think of it this way-- it's 2 mana for a source of card draw that's nearly limitless, while Anticipate only gives you one card, Fortune's Favor and Epiphany at the Drownyard are HUGE gambles, and Pore Over the Pages costs too much to be worth it.

And the thing to keep in mind here is that unlike those cards Ongoing Investigation take two turns, six mana, and two successful attacks to actually gain card advantage. Again, not saying you should be playing any of them over it, but you do have to jump through a lot of hoops to get the (substantial) payoff.

You think there's any chance of ever profitably using the other effect? Some kind of land that can incidentally tap for green or a mana rock or something might be a huge boon against burn just as an oddball sideboard option. I guess your stuff does have to be dying for it to be relevant, but you don't seem to have any other use for your graveyard and it doesn't cost a slot.

It's nice for it to be an easy decision, though-- but I think it's a good idea to keep Always Watching in, if possible.

Agreed, easy outs for sideboard shit are nice. I always get tripped up by that and either don't cut enough stuff or just go the "safe" route of cutting my fourth copy of several necessary cards.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #440 on: August 14, 2016, 01:52:57 AM »
You think there's any chance of ever profitably using the other effect? Some kind of land that can incidentally tap for green or a mana rock or something might be a huge boon against burn just as an oddball sideboard option. I guess your stuff does have to be dying for it to be relevant, but you don't seem to have any other use for your graveyard and it doesn't cost a slot.

That is an issue-- since I play more aggressively and focus more on damage than being able to counter every spell, I try to focus on keeping my dudes alive-- and since Always Watching helps keep them alive, they don't tend to die much. But it's also not an issue, since I don't run green at all. I might try a taste of green in the deck if I ever happen to pull a Tamiyo, but until then, I'm not too interested-- especially since I'd like to run Pulse of Murasa instead-- get a creature BACK from the graveyard and gain 6 life.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #441 on: August 14, 2016, 09:10:36 AM »
Apparently, Star Wars will get a Weiss Schwarz set.

It's like... why?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #442 on: August 14, 2016, 09:13:22 AM »
Ha ha what? Really? Is that seriously not a joke?

Cool I guess. With movie stills for art presumably?

« Reply #443 on: August 17, 2016, 03:42:57 PM »
oh sweet hell the Conspiracy: Take the Throne previews

those repriiiiiiiiiiiiiints

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #444 on: August 17, 2016, 04:25:22 PM »
Oh what, I love those reprints with the old art. A foil of that Desertion would look amazing.

Serum Visions too.

Phyrexian Arena is a strong contender for my favorite card ever and I still don't love this art. This card seems to have a hard time getting art I love. This miiiight be the best one yet though.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #445 on: August 17, 2016, 05:14:30 PM »
FINALLY SERUM VISIONS REPRINT

>uncommon

jfc wizards

I like that Sanctum Prelate too-- it's kind of like Chalice of the Void on a creature.

Are these non-reprints modern-legal?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #446 on: August 17, 2016, 05:43:36 PM »
Almost certain the non-reprints are not Modern legal.

I can forgive uncommon Serum Visions since this is a draft-only set. I drafted Fifth Dawn, having a ton of those floating around was nuts.

« Reply #447 on: August 17, 2016, 06:26:27 PM »
FINALLY SERUM VISIONS REPRINT

>uncommon

jfc wizards

I like that Sanctum Prelate too-- it's kind of like Chalice of the Void on a creature.

Are these non-reprints modern-legal?
the non-reprint cards are Vintage/Legacy only simply because they don't have time to balance-test

and honestly I'm fine with Serum Visions being uncommon simply because unlike the Masters sets this isn't going to be a limited-printing set so there's going to be a decent amount of commons and uncommons getting out into the wild

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #448 on: August 17, 2016, 06:57:15 PM »
Ha ha what? Really? Is that seriously not a joke?

Cool I guess. With movie stills for art presumably?

They got episodes 4-7 and nothing is sacred anymore in the Weiss community

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #449 on: August 17, 2016, 07:23:32 PM »
They got episodes 4-7 and nothing is sacred anymore in the Weiss community

Oh what? Good Star Wars even? Not Clone Wars or some shit?

I am so on board for this. Hope it gets translated but why wouldn't iiiiit?

Gonna make a C3PO deck. Watch me.