Author Topic: Hammerspace in Touhou  (Read 3979 times)

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
Hammerspace in Touhou
« on: May 26, 2017, 05:38:06 AM »
Hammerspace is the terminology for cases where people in fiction are seemingly able to pull an object out of thin air, or pull an object out of a container that's actually much smaller than the object itself.
Why am I bringing this up? That's because I've noticed several examples of Hammerspace thorough Touhou canon. To name a few:

[Three Fairies] Marisa at one point pulls a full bottle of Sake out of her hat. Not only is said bottle taller than her hat is, it is also upside down the whole time Marisa is wearing her hat, not to mention that the bottle is full.

[Three Fairies] Reimu apparently stores her Ying-Yang orbs in her sleeves. Under normal circumstances, those Orbs would've weighted down her sleeves or fell out with all those arm movements of hers. But they didn't.

[Suzunaan] Marisa puts a book right under her apron, and that doesn't seem to weight down her skirt at all.

So far, the only possible explanation for the Hammerspace phenomenon in Touhou is a forbidden template magic.
Your thoughts?
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

Re: Hammerspace in Touhou
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 08:18:37 AM »
...You mention that, and not saying the unlimited bullets work these girl pulled, or Marisa's insta dress trick, or Yukari's gap? I think it's already known for the long time.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:53:02 AM »
For the orbs, reimu probably just made them super small. IIRC she can change their size.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

GenericArrangements

• The Monthly Ghost of the Art Atelier
  • i do the music thing (!?)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:48:02 AM »
I would expect that in a series based on magic that the characters would use magic for convenient things like that.

[Three Fairies] Marisa at one point pulls a full bottle of Sake out of her hat. Not only is said bottle taller than her hat is, it is also upside down the whole time Marisa is wearing her hat, not to mention that the bottle is full.
Not sure about this one though. Maybe it was just a small gag? I haven't read it yet.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 11:54:58 AM by WaluigiTime64 »
Please read my posts as if I'm not taking them too seriously.

i did a lunatic 1cc of MoF once and i'm happy enough with just that

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 01:15:45 PM »
Not a mod note but an idea: maybe we only need one thread for "things I found on TVTropes that could be applied to Touhou"? I guess separate threads are fine; they just tend to get a handful of replies and then die. Perhaps an ongoing discussion thread in this vein would see more activity?

I don't actually know. Just throwing that out there.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 01:33:16 PM »
Oh, I hadn't realized that you guys would count all those danmaku even though they were technically made of magic energy and thus occupy no storage space.

But anyway, I feel so didn't-catch-up after seeing the replies... :blush:
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 03:26:30 PM »
In a world so filled with magic like touhou, we could always be saying that anything seemingly implausible is just a result of sorcery and the like. 

Isn't the SDM itself guilty of this too?  I remember reading something among the lines of it being immensely bigger on the inside than the outside because of some spell they've cast on it.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »
Isn't the SDM itself guilty of this too?  I remember reading something among the lines of it being immensely bigger on the inside than the outside because of some spell they've cast on it.

That one's explicitly all thanks to Sakuya. Something about control of time being the same as control of space, from ZUN's explanation.

Drake

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 02:08:57 AM »
That's more of ZUN inserting random personal interpretations of science into Touhou for its own sake because he thinks it's cool, and also as a joke commentary on how in a shmup it feels like the hallways go on forever. It hasn't really been mentioned again and all other showcasings of the SDM make it pretty normal for a mansion. He did the long-hallway joke in IN too and chose to say that it was a trick by Reisen.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 03:41:50 AM »
Hammerspace is real and it kicked my ass in the parking lot behind 7/11 at 3 AM.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
Oh, I hadn't realized that you guys would count all those danmaku even though they were technically made of magic energy and thus occupy no storage space.

But anyway, I feel so didn't-catch-up after seeing the replies... :blush:

There''s Reimu's Ofuda and Sakuya's knife (though that's because she collect them, but still doesn't fully explain the numbers...) that are physical.

R. P. Genocraft

• Craftsman of absolute unpredictability
  • Boundary of productive and lazy
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 07:46:39 PM »
Well, Reimu's yin-yang orbs fly. As for Marisa, blame magic(I dunno :V)