Author Topic: Business, Boats and Booty! Let's Play Gazillionaire 3!  (Read 2535 times)

Acidus

Business, Boats and Booty! Let's Play Gazillionaire 3!
« on: June 22, 2011, 08:34:14 AM »
For the uninitiated, this is Gazillionaire 3:

The bad art is part of the Gazillionaire experience.

Gazillionaire are a business strategy series of games by LavaMind, some people who also made Zapitalism and Profitania, both of which I have had much less experience with, but I am sure they look equally terrible. Pure profiteering: that is the nature of the game, and it is both fun and educational, teaching you the virtues of intimidating your crew into accepting pay cuts and sabotaging other businesses!

The games themselves are pretty old: the games came out in the late nineties, early 2000s, back when shareware was still cool. I spent a lot of time playing them on my school computer labs, which I would always manage to download and install them on. I nearly got into a fight with a boy over this game at age seven.

It was great.

LavaMind has recently launched a Flash version of the game, though you'll have to register for an account to play and save your games and you still have to cough up $20 for the full version. (seriously lavamind? it's been seventeen years.) Its interface has been improved, though the art is still unchanged. You'll think they'll hire one good artist to redraw them, but apparently that's too hard.

Enough talking about how much the art sucks. Time to get started!

This decides how long the game will go on for: when your total assets equal the number you selected at the beginning, you win the game. Conversely, if your debts equal that amount, you lose.

The difficulty affects how much money you start off with, the debt you owe Mr. Zinn, your financier, the interest rates of that debt, and the intelligence of your AI opponents. From Beginner onwards, you will start off with no money.

Pretty obvious. It'll just be me.

You can randomise the planets that your game will have: each planet has a certain planet special that you can use while on the planet that is related to its 'function'. For example, Nosh is the main fuel supplier of the system, so you can buy fuel for much cheaper than on other planets, while Pyke is the home of a famous ship engine manufacturer, so you can upgrade the speed of your engines, allowing you to use less fuel while travelling between planets and allowing you to scoop deals on buying or selling commodities.

Self explanatory

Each ship has different statistics and has advantages and disadvantages: some, like the Locomotis (train shaped ship with inexplicable flames coming out of its end despite being in space) are well-rounded ships with no clear disadvantages while the Worm Shuttle (it looks what it sounds like) is more disadvantaged than other ships.

Because I'm generous, I'll let you guys decide what difficulty, length, company name and ship to use! Planets are purely a matter of randomisation and should not affect things that much, but I'll keep Pyke in because ship engine speed upgrade is soooo gooood.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
Re: Business, Boats and Booty! Let's Play Gazillionaire 3!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 08:46:50 AM »
Well I suggested Assburgers Inc. so go with that.

Difficulty? Beginner is for pansies clearly you must go with MASTER
Length, 100 million
Ship should be that one which looks like a bee because...

Well you already know, Acidus. :V

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:39:03 AM »
Need to use the mother brain ship.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 11:58:46 PM »
Well I suggested Assburgers Inc. so go with that.

Difficulty? Beginner is for pansies clearly you must go with MASTER
Length, 100 million
Ship should be that one which looks like a bee because...

Well you already know, Acidus. :V

TRUE LAST SHIP
go with it

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 12:01:24 AM »
Bottom left corner ship. Forget the name but I recall it's probably the better one.

Because >Passengers.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 12:06:23 AM »
You should obviously choose the ship that allows for the most piracy.

Having been informed that this game is no fun at all, and doesn't all direct murder, I will vote for the bees.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:22:01 AM by Iced Fairy »

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 12:10:58 AM »
You should obviously choose the ship that allows for the most piracy.
Yes.
Call the company Assburgers and buy a ship to pirate. Brilliant.