Author Topic: Post Your Artwork Thread V5  (Read 253299 times)

Re: Post Your Artwork Thread V5
« Reply #690 on: February 17, 2013, 09:38:39 AM »
You...should study the head and facial anatomy, because I swear koishi's head looks like a slice of pie.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #691 on: February 17, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »
koishi's head looks like a slice of pie.
Yeah, it surely is sweet Koishi, hehehe~

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

« Reply #692 on: February 17, 2013, 12:58:18 PM »
Something about the eyes and mouth make her look...really creepy.

Though the brush work is pretty good. How'd you do that?

I'm not really sure how to explain how I did it... I did the skin, clothes, hair and eyes on different layers worked on each one at a time, blocking out the colours and adding detail as I went. That probably wasn't helpful at all.
People often come out weird when I draw them facing forwards. I've never been too good at it;;

« Reply #693 on: February 17, 2013, 05:13:18 PM »
I'm not really sure how to explain how I did it... I did the skin, clothes, hair and eyes on different layers worked on each one at a time, blocking out the colours and adding detail as I went. That probably wasn't helpful at all.
People often come out weird when I draw them facing forwards. I've never been too good at it;;

Yeah that wasn't too helpful. LOL.

I was just curious because I never knew how people do brushwork on the comp. All I do is mindless sketching and blurring. hah.

But anyway, I think the problem could be of the following (I don't really know since I can't really tamper with it):

Distance between eyes is too large

Eyes are slanted downward

Mouth is in an impossible shape

Eyebrows are invisible (her right one should at least be partially viewable

pineyappled

« Reply #694 on: February 17, 2013, 05:16:52 PM »

« Reply #695 on: February 17, 2013, 05:33:28 PM »
Did you do that? Regardless of which, that is just amazing.

(Though equally on par with how to draw an owl)

pineyappled

« Reply #696 on: February 17, 2013, 05:49:45 PM »
Nope.

« Reply #697 on: February 17, 2013, 10:10:20 PM »
Yeah that wasn't too helpful. LOL.

I was just curious because I never knew how people do brushwork on the comp. All I do is mindless sketching and blurring. hah.

But anyway, I think the problem could be of the following (I don't really know since I can't really tamper with it):

Distance between eyes is too large

Eyes are slanted downward

Mouth is in an impossible shape

Eyebrows are invisible (her right one should at least be partially viewable

I see all of those now aha
Her mouth was supposed to be slightly open and I think I forgot to clean it up, so that might be part of the issue. Also I always seem to forget that eyebrows exist >>
I didn't do any blending with the brushwork but I don't have a set method for how I colour things oops
thank you for the help

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
« Reply #698 on: February 17, 2013, 10:18:38 PM »

backgrund practice
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #699 on: February 17, 2013, 11:13:09 PM »
So, um... Just going to drop this here.  It's concept art for an original story I've got in my head which may or may not see the light of day (in other words, it's not Touhou), and I just kind of wanted to get some feedback to see what people thought of the character designs so far.  Like it says to the side of the folder, the art was originally done by me but fixed up by a friend.  I still have the original, hand drawn pictures stashed away in case anyone's interested in seeing them, although they're kind of crappy so... Yeah.

Just wanted to see if anyone liked the designs, or had any comments about them, or even if anyone had a particular favourite design or anything.  So, um... Yeah. >.<
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #700 on: February 17, 2013, 11:33:35 PM »
So, um... Just going to drop this here.  It's concept art for an original story I've got in my head which may or may not see the light of day (in other words, it's not Touhou), and I just kind of wanted to get some feedback to see what people thought of the character designs so far.  Like it says to the side of the folder, the art was originally done by me but fixed up by a friend.  I still have the original, hand drawn pictures stashed away in case anyone's interested in seeing them, although they're kind of crappy so... Yeah.

Just wanted to see if anyone liked the designs, or had any comments about them, or even if anyone had a particular favourite design or anything.  So, um... Yeah. >.<
For the most part I like the designs. QDiamonds and ASpades' magical forms look kind of circus/jokerey to me, though. I understand they're based on cards, but it still looks kind of silly.

Sixten

• Legendary Creature - Frog
  • 6/10
    • House of Sixten
« Reply #701 on: February 18, 2013, 02:35:24 AM »
Art-wise, my first attempt at a Youmu x Reisen book never got past those two pictures in my previous post. The script got a little bit farther, up to the point where Kaguya "opened the Moon Door" before a duel between Youmu and Reisen, but that's all been scrapped now.

I'm trying again with a simpler story, we'll see how the new version goes.

Full size: http://www.houseofsixten.com/stealth/cirno/illusion/page000.jpg

It is a rule on pixiv that all Youmu x Reisen pairings must be moderated by Sanae.

pineyappled

« Reply #702 on: February 18, 2013, 04:19:33 AM »
oh gosh that's adorable

Merp

« Reply #703 on: February 18, 2013, 06:37:20 AM »
Art-wise, my first attempt at a Youmu x Reisen book never got past those two pictures in my previous post. The script got a little bit farther, up to the point where Kaguya "opened the Moon Door" before a duel between Youmu and Reisen, but that's all been scrapped now.

I'm trying again with a simpler story, we'll see how the new version goes.

It is a rule on pixiv that all Youmu x Reisen pairings must be moderated by Sanae.

i approve of the sanaesanae moderator
Assemblage of egregious drama queens

Pixiv  Deviantart  Livestream  Art Thread

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #704 on: February 18, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »
For the most part I like the designs. QDiamonds and ASpades' magical forms look kind of circus/jokerey to me, though. I understand they're based on cards, but it still looks kind of silly.
To be fair, that was kind of the point.  They're magical girls, after all, which in my mind always calls for flamboyant outfits.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Sixten

• 6/10
    • House of Sixten
« Reply #705 on: February 18, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
[Drama queen speech of self-pity deleted]

Full size: http://www.houseofsixten.com/stealth/artschool/decade_chara.jpg

In about five years, I should be able to become a professional illustrator. At least, I hope so.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:06:43 AM by Sixten »

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #706 on: February 18, 2013, 10:13:24 PM »
NOTIFICATION

Okay guys and girls, I'm incredibly happy that the Art board is lively and all, but we have this thing called board rules which are pretty much neglected quite a bit here recently.
Granted, that thread is kinda chaotic and at points outdated, which is why I will overhaul it in the next week, but the main issue is image size rules. Especially you RA++ guys should know better than to post 1000 pixel images, you're setting a bad example for newcomers!

To repeat from the thread: You are permitted to post up to 640x480 images, up to 150kb in size. Anything above this must be be linked to or thumbnailed. No ifs, ands, buts, excuses, or exceptions. Got it? Good.

Now this is a guideline, we're not gonna bite anyone's head off if your image is 700x500, or 250kb, stuff like that. But images with dimension of 1400xwhatever are not tolerable. Even if you use an image-resize code, it still loads the full image and then just visually resizes it afterwards.
That means that especially for people with slower connections or on mobile devices they get large images loaded that they might not even want to see.
As a measure of common courtesy, try to keep your images within the rules and use thumbnails and links so that people only have to load the full large images when they actually have an interest in them.

Thanks for listening and keep up the good work~

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #707 on: February 18, 2013, 11:52:38 PM »
Heart-shaped shimenawa is hella cute. :3c

Oh, and your happy Koishi is cute too.
You're really getting better pretty fast.

NOTIFICATION

Now I started to try to draw heads looking down/up, after reading this notification I tried to draw a sad guilty face looking down but I think that she looks a bit angry too. Anyway it's fine, maybe chaging the mouth could change this but I am without correction fluid :V

My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

KrackoCloud

« Reply #708 on: February 19, 2013, 02:53:04 AM »
Now I started to try to draw heads looking down/up, after reading this notification I tried to draw a sad guilty face looking down but I think that she looks a bit angry too. Anyway it's fine, maybe chaging the mouth could change this but I am without correction fluid :V

Here's my take on it. It's not really that good either, but... hopefully I can say something useful <:Y

[attach=1]
One thing that really makes an expression is eyebrows. I find that a good way to do nervous, unsure, etc is to do slightly serious/angry eyebrows like you made, but add a little of an upward slant towards the center.
Since we're going animu, it's okay to exaggerate some stuff. When you look away in guilt or shame, your head turns only slightly. It's okay to turn it some more for anime I guess. I also made the closer eye wince a little for extra effect.
As for the mouth, I think the main issue is that yours is pointed up. Imagine a normal mouth when it talks - the upper lip is more stable, while the lower moves more. In your drawing, it looks like the upper lip is more flexible.

Like I mentioned, I'm still a pretty new drawer, so it would be nice if someone better than me (de)confirmed what I've said.

also I need to draw more

colleeeege

Sixten

• 6/10
    • House of Sixten
« Reply #709 on: February 19, 2013, 03:45:17 AM »
@KazeSenshi: Something is off with your Alice, but I can't put it in words. Maybe someone who can explain better...

@KrackoCloud: ...And there's the someone. I actually don't see anything wrong with your Alice. I personally wouldn't put the head so high above the shoulders, especially when the character is supposed to be looking down (try turning your head to the side and looking down a little, then note the difference in level between your chin and shoulders), but that's just a style thing. (My style has characters with the distance between shoulders seldom greater than the width of the head, which is just as anatomically inaccurate.) Your picture has a proper balance and the proportion of the face features makes sense to me. It even holds up when I horizontal flip the image (which isn't always true when I draw characters). In terms of drawing the face, you're better than I was 4 years ago, and you will probably surpass me two years from now.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:50:54 AM by Sixten »

KrackoCloud

« Reply #710 on: February 19, 2013, 03:53:00 AM »
Ah, that neck does kind of ruin the sense of her looking down, now that you mention it. Looks like I've still got a ways to go. Thanks for the tips and encouragement!

« Reply #711 on: February 19, 2013, 03:28:10 PM »
This is my take on guilt, whole body because I got carried away:

http://www.fileize.com/files/1d1e0534/2bd/forlon.png

From a very informative infographic, guilty faces are almost expressionless, and features shrink. Also, the head faces downward and gazes away. The thing is, guilty faces are made by trying not to express it (from what I gathered, anyway)

What I came up with was probably more of a forlorn look, so I guess I didn't do what I intended very well.

@kaze_senshi that mouth is probably really unrealistic. Slanted eyes and eyebrows seem to convey more of the "anger" type. Say, frustration, annoyance.

Also, random gesture dump http://i.imgur.com/9kAtU3h.jpg
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:44:57 PM by NotaPirate »

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
« Reply #712 on: February 19, 2013, 09:11:26 PM »
lol are we doing penance or something :v

totally did not draw her drunk-ish originally

for eyes you just generally chop like half of the eyeball and like....uh yeah. bottom if you wanna go up, top if you want to look down... ofc the pupils have to follow aka i dont know my biology very well is that the pupil??? yeah ||| -__-

actually this and something else made me think of a thread where we have like a weekly theme or something and everyone draws it if they want to, and the most voted one gets to choose the next topic--
idk |owo) .......
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

pineyappled

« Reply #713 on: February 19, 2013, 11:37:59 PM »
actually this and something else made me think of a thread where we have like a weekly theme or something and everyone draws it if they want to, and the most voted one gets to choose the next topic--
idk |owo) .......
I think we had one of those a very, very long time ago?

KrackoCloud

« Reply #714 on: February 19, 2013, 11:38:06 PM »
At this rate, upset Alice should just be a thing.

Was that a thing before? I think that sounds great :U

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #715 on: February 20, 2013, 12:06:48 AM »
Thanks for all the feedbacks and all Alices :)

lol are we doing penance or something :v

totally did not draw her drunk-ish originally

for eyes you just generally chop like half of the eyeball and like....uh yeah. bottom if you wanna go up, top if you want to look down... ofc the pupils have to follow aka i dont know my biology very well is that the pupil??? yeah ||| -__-

idk |owo) .......

Reading some tutorials I think that this trick of the "half ball" works because the circle's curve that  is faced to the rotation axis tends to become flat,  or something like this.
And the weekly game idea sounds good, how will work the vote counting system, are the votes for the drawings or for the next idea theme suggestion?

And I need first to know how to draw heads looking down/up before to rotate it down/up-left/right so there is a Parsee looking for feedbacks

At this rate, upset Alice should just be a thing.

So I can say "FIRST" if Alice is the first theme of the game :V

PS:

Cute  :3

PS2:
[Drama queen speech of self-pity deleted]

Full size: http://www.houseofsixten.com/stealth/artschool/decade_chara.jpg

In about five years, I should be able to become a professional illustrator. At least, I hope so.

Eye of the tiger man, eye of the tiger
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #716 on: February 20, 2013, 05:16:43 AM »
Guilt(?)
[attach=1]
"It's not what you think!"

I think we had one of those a very, very long time ago?
Well it should totally come back

Also, if you're looking for head perspectives, I found this handy for a quick reference. Alternatively, Google Image-ing "head perspective" also works.
And just because I'm a bit bored at the moment:
[attach=2]
I'm not too good, but just remember that the face (eyes, nose, mouth) squishes together to the edges of the circle when you face them that way. You could think of that arc as pushing the features of the face off to the side. This also applies when making your people face sideways too. Also remember that the side opposite to the face squishing gets more space. That means more chin when you look up and more hair when you look down.
And I need first to know how to draw heads looking down/up before to rotate it down/up-left/right so there is a Parsee looking for feedbacks
I think that Parsee looks good. I don't see anything that really stands out as off.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:25:02 AM by Nia »
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

pineyappled

« Reply #717 on: February 20, 2013, 05:54:28 AM »
Alice is

too cute

Akitake

• MW
  • arrivederci~
    • PIXIV
« Reply #718 on: February 21, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »
lowres screenshot yeeeeahhh

Formless God

« Reply #719 on: February 22, 2013, 08:00:46 AM »
stuff
I've always wondered how long it generally takes to render something like that.