Author Topic: Am I the only one that...  (Read 6464 times)

Am I the only one that...
« on: July 02, 2009, 09:13:09 PM »
...finds Imperishable Night on hard to be harder than PCB on hard? Am I the only one that dies more on Reisen than Youmu? Am I the only one that can easily walk all over Yukari (no death's run) but ends Mokou with only 2 or 3 lives remaining?

I'm serious here. Everywhere I go, I see people saying Reisen is one of the easiest bosses and Mokou being one of the easier extra stage bosses, yet I struggle with them! I dominate PCB on hard, yet I end with 2 or 3 lives remaining in an Imperishable Night run. Anyone else have as much trouble as I do with Imperishable Night?

Re: Am I the only one that...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 09:20:14 PM »
its all about what kind of attacks you do better at i guess. i've heard people say IN hard is the easier Hard diff but i do no better at that than i do any other hard diff.

Drake

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 09:33:12 PM »
IN Easy is the most easy mode you can get aside from PoFV. Apart from Easy, I don't find that it's easier than the rest. I 1cc'd PCB Hard long before IN.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

mark2000

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 09:50:22 PM »
Not sure about Hard mode but everything about IN Normal is easier compared to PCB for me. IMO, it's probably because the Ghost Team is the easiest team I've ever played with in all touhou games.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 10:17:32 PM »
...finds Imperishable Night on hard to be harder than PCB on hard?

No, you're not. I find IN Lunatic to be batshit-insane compared to PCB Lunatic as well.

The Youmu/Reisen thing isn't the case for me though.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 10:24:13 PM »
I think one of the reasons why people call Mokou easiest boss is because of her hitbox, which is the entire size of her phoenix wings. They are not colliding with the player but bullets hit it. Just like Yuyuko's fan. Except the damage is less than done directly to Mokou. Imo Remilia is Mokou slayer. Her bombs also bash trough her nonspellcards as if it is jelly.

At the end it comes down to whatever you are used to. Practise makes perfect.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:26:26 PM by Helepolis »

Herasy

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 10:52:10 PM »
I've cleared PCB Normal and I could probably do it again, yet IN Normal still has me either getting screwed over in Stage 5 (sometimes even 4) or getting a game over on Kaguya.
The difficulty jump between Easy and Normal is a bit much for IN compared to the others IMO.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 02:39:09 AM »
Once you learn how to handle Reisen's spellcards, they're all really easy.  Youmu, however, are evil regardless.

I find IN to be the easiest game though.  Most of Mokou's spellcards actually have very simple ways to beat them.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 12:32:58 AM »
Reisen is a bish for me too. but yeah I can totally tell that once I "get" them, they'll be easy.

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 12:43:55 AM »
Imo Remilia is Mokou slayer.
That would be Alice actually. Her shot hits both Mokou and the Phoenix hitbox, doing around 1.5x damage or something around that.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 01:48:32 AM »
I don't have to go to hard, I find IN normal already harder than PCB.
rofl bye

Silentsword

• Ace Hakurei Attorney
  • Practical solutions to impractical problems!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 03:01:19 AM »
I'm the reverse: I booted up IN yesterday after a few weeks' hiatus, and the entire time I'm doing a Hard playthrough, I was thinking to myself, "what happened to all of the Hard Mode bullsh*t I've been putting up with?"

For me, IN was roughly linear in terms of difficulty increase between levels - the complexity, density, and speed of the bullets and enemies increases roughly the same amount between Easy and Normal as it does between Normal and Hard.  This is important for me, as I only do general memorization; I derive my solutions to nearly all spellcards (and situations in general) in IN on the fly.

(That being said, Lunatic is a huge jump, and really breaks the pattern.)

PCB, MoF, and EoSD (as well as what I've seen of SA) are different: their difficulty curves are quadratic.  Between Easy and Normal, all aspects I listed above increase between twofold and threefold.... and then do the same again between Normal and Hard, resulting in a much, much greater overall increase.  I still do on-the-fly solutions (which is probably why I'm having trouble actually finishing the 1cc of PCB Hard, although I've come within a few seconds of doing so several times now), but they're much rougher, and the game is a real workout.

Some of our differences might just be in how we dissect the danmaku - point of view (or the ability to change PoV on the go) is critical, I've found.  As is the way in which our minds perceive the board, and the avenues we're trained (through life in general) to go down as a matter of instinct.

Choice of character may also be a deciding factor.  Who do you use?
"But if I don't do this, then all that's left is to stand around and do nothing, and I've discovered I can't do that. That's the problem with the freedom of choice he was talking about: once you've got it, you can't live with yourself very comfortably if you choose not to exercise it." - Commander Warner Caslet.

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 10:33:41 PM »
I'm the reverse: I booted up IN yesterday after a few weeks' hiatus, and the entire time I'm doing a Hard playthrough, I was thinking to myself, "what happened to all of the Hard Mode bullsh*t I've been putting up with?"

For me, IN was roughly linear in terms of difficulty increase between levels - the complexity, density, and speed of the bullets and enemies increases roughly the same amount between Easy and Normal as it does between Normal and Hard.  This is important for me, as I only do general memorization; I derive my solutions to nearly all spellcards (and situations in general) in IN on the fly.

(That being said, Lunatic is a huge jump, and really breaks the pattern.)

PCB, MoF, and EoSD (as well as what I've seen of SA) are different: their difficulty curves are quadratic.  Between Easy and Normal, all aspects I listed above increase between twofold and threefold.... and then do the same again between Normal and Hard, resulting in a much, much greater overall increase.  I still do on-the-fly solutions (which is probably why I'm having trouble actually finishing the 1cc of PCB Hard, although I've come within a few seconds of doing so several times now), but they're much rougher, and the game is a real workout.

Some of our differences might just be in how we dissect the danmaku - point of view (or the ability to change PoV on the go) is critical, I've found.  As is the way in which our minds perceive the board, and the avenues we're trained (through life in general) to go down as a matter of instinct.

Choice of character may also be a deciding factor.  Who do you use?
I use the border team for IN and Reimu-B for PCB.
I kinda see what you mean when you talk about dissecting the danmaku, but my mind literally goes blank whenever I do a IN playthrough. Either it's just my way of play (try to get as many time orbs as possible on stages 1-3) or I have played PCB waaaay too much compared to IN.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 08:01:15 PM »
Yeah, you're the only one.