Author Topic: Adventures in Cosplay!  (Read 190149 times)

Yucari

• Humble Tengu Reporter
  • Ah! Domo.
Re: Adventures in Cosplay!
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2011, 09:36:31 PM »
I love my Momi too much to abuse her. I'm already abusing her by making her do Momi when she really is only just getting into Touhou (also my fault).
I will however have bubbles that smell like strawberries.

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Good news: I might get the rest of my costume in time for Otakon. *happy face*

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2011, 02:49:08 AM »
Huzzah!  :V  Is it estimated to come in time?

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2011, 11:12:01 AM »
Should show up sometime Friday, so I might not have it for the first day. My brother promised to deliver it to me when it arrives.

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

triangles

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2011, 12:50:53 PM »
Awesome  :D
The joys of being local to the con!

I am maybe 90% done?  Perhaps I will not need an all-nighter to finish tonight?
I thought I'd get more done last night but hahahaha corset trim looked terribles when I put in the closure mechanism so I have to redo it again-again  :ohdear:
But home stretch woo.

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2011, 02:47:49 PM »
I love my Momi too much to abuse her. I'm already abusing her by making her do Momi when she really is only just getting into Touhou (also my fault).
I will however have bubbles that smell like strawberries.

Get someone to take a photo of you in Aya taking pictures of the No Photography signs.

MAXIMUM OTAKON TROLLING
Spoiler:
not really

Grimarg

• B-but you haven't promoted me yet!
  • Thanks Aoshi for the avvy! :3
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2011, 01:46:14 AM »
Aw man, those wings ;_; they broke almost inmediately. I shed not so manly tears.

Closer

IT NEEDS MOAR RED

Team pic

I'm always in an 'come at me bro' pose becouse there was a guy cosplaying as Alucard following me  :V

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2011, 02:35:04 AM »
I will laugh if I'm the only Puella Magi cosplayer who bothered to do the design on the middle fingernail. Homura has a purple diamond on hers, so I went out and got purple nail polish to stencil it on. I swear, the things I do for cosplay...

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2011, 03:55:40 AM »
I will laugh if I'm the only Puella Magi cosplayer who bothered to do the design on the middle fingernail. Homura has a purple diamond on hers, so I went out and got purple nail polish to stencil it on. I swear, the things I do for cosplay...

with UK it isn't cosplay. it's prosplay.

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2011, 04:18:12 AM »
The worst part is I can't even sew! I commission my outfits. I just figure I should try my best for my parts.

triangles

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2011, 06:32:57 AM »
I don't have to worry about fingernail markings cause Mami doesn't have them :V

I think I'm actually going to finish on time without (another) all-nighter :V
HAHAHAHAHAHA

It's 2:30am and I'm STILL NOT DONE AHHHH.  I deem it coffee o'clock, I can sleep on the car ride down right?
I still have to do is the shirt trim (which involves sewing two pieces of single fold bias tape to make a pseudo-double fold as I'm using some crazy import Chinese stuff which didn't come in double size  :(), shirt/corset ribbons and gluing on the belty things on the corset.  Sounds basic enough... Of course, I thought the armwarmers I could knock out in an hour tops ahahahahahaha.

I am totally going to be buying anti-wardrobe malfunction tape so the armwarmers stay up.  And I think I made the sleeves too long so they kinda slouch too.  Stupid gravity. 

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2011, 10:51:06 AM »
My costume is set to arrive in the next hour or two. Pics coming up. (Thank you UPS!)

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2011, 03:02:33 AM »
DEAR MOKOU WIG: I HATE YOU

at least it looks less frizzy now after detangling it for like an hour

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2011, 12:17:24 PM »
Okay, so my costume showed up ten hours later than I thought it would. Pics later, getting ready for con now.
Changed my mind.
Here's my Momi
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:00:14 PM by Genichiro »

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2011, 01:53:20 PM »

Khaotic Ace

• 8l I forgot about a lot of sites thanks to tumblr.
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »
I FOUND IT! *HOORAY!*

So technically, neither of my Wriggle cosplays are FULLY done (lol obvious wigless) ... <o< I mean, the dress is missing that doggone butterfly... and the ribbon for my leg just wouldn't stay... so I have no idea how to make that stick on me. orz

o3o Well at least I'm grateful to have the dress done by my aunt.
http://khaoticace03.deviantart.com/art/Princess-Wriggle-Dress-244082055 <- Well the dress looks small in this photo, but pretty big on me. Or I'm small. Still trying to figure that out.

Yucari

• Humble Tengu Reporter
  • Ah! Domo.
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2011, 08:37:29 PM »
You should get some fashion tape or spirit gum to get the ribbon to stick to you better.

triangles

« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2011, 08:48:05 PM »
Yeah fashion tape is what kept my Mamiarms in place.
Another option is to make a casing for elastic for the top "band" of the ribbon, then pin or otherwise fasten the bow to that top band and proceed as usual.  That's probably not as solid but it's easier to adjust if need be.

As for the butterfly, I'm guessing it's like some sort of "butt-bow" thing?  If you post more pictures we might be able to help!

Zakenna

• fomer Internet tough guy
  • Ahh After 10,000 years I'm free!
    • polyvinylcrush
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2011, 10:26:05 PM »
I should post a picture of the costume that I'm doing for Otakon too.  Going for combination of minimum effort for a one-time deal that prooooobably nobody will care about after a year.  Oh well.
but you have to admit, the 15 minutes of fame is soooooooo worth it. *Morning Rescue brofist*

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2011, 11:29:24 PM »
I FOUND IT! *HOORAY!*

So technically, neither of my Wriggle cosplays are FULLY done (lol obvious wigless) ... <o< I mean, the dress is missing that doggone butterfly... and the ribbon for my leg just wouldn't stay... so I have no idea how to make that stick on me. orz

o3o Well at least I'm grateful to have the dress done by my aunt.
http://khaoticace03.deviantart.com/art/Princess-Wriggle-Dress-244082055 <- Well the dress looks small in this photo, but pretty big on me. Or I'm small. Still trying to figure that out.
Honestly, I didn't even realize the wig was missing in your Princess Wriggle cosplay. It was just that good. Can't wait to see it with, though. :3

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2011, 02:59:45 PM »
but you have to admit, the 15 minutes of fame is soooooooo worth it. *Morning Rescue brofist*

I am so massively happy with my effort:exposure ratio on that costume.  Considering how shitty it was, it came off as a real coup.  MORNING LESCUUUUUE~

labeth

• Oh my god, it's full of carbs
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2011, 07:06:37 PM »
Khaoseru, you were a really cute princess wriggle regardless! I saw a couple that Epic Cosplay that might work: this and this.

MJP, not sure which Morning Rescue dude you were, but all of the ones that I ran into looked pretty good. Did you paint your words on, or what?

I'm planning my next victim cosplay already, though I don't want to retire Nitori quite yet. I worked my ass off on that one. SO. MANY. POCKETS. My husband and I are going to do Beatrice (in the same outfit you did, Triangles, though with the longer hair as I don't want to end up trying to keep the brown from showing underneath an updo wig) and Ronove, which will be hilarious. I need to start practicin' my troll face.

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2011, 08:31:51 PM »
I was the one with the goatee and glasses.  I used fabric paint for the front upper half, got lazy, and used spraypaint for the back half.  It looked terrible, because I failed to cover up the non-painted spots and had a nice sort of cloud of white below a very un-white stripe, right beneath the shoulder blades on the back.  :V 

My letters were cut out of sticky felt and after the first few hours, were falling off.  Hot glue to the rescue!

If I ever get lazy I'm going to dye a white jumpsuit teal and get a blue wig.  Instant man-Nitori.  Just add pockets!

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2011, 10:49:12 PM »
I dunno, that jumpsuit had plenty of pockets already. Really, you just need a hat a nice backpack.

Oh, and I decided to order Tengu sandals. Hopefully by the time they arrive, I'll have a couple months to practice walking in them before AUSA.

labeth

« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2011, 12:05:47 AM »
Wow, good luck with those, man. I've heard they're not as hard to walk in as they look, but I am still nursing boot blisters from last weekend, so any odd footwear is enough to make me wince right now.

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2011, 10:17:09 AM »
From what I hear, they're easy to walk in. It's standing still that's the problem.

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2011, 12:51:12 PM »
Yeah hi, Crystal City Beth Israel Hospital?  Room for one, please.  What?  Yes.  Yes, that's right.  I'm booking a room.  November 18th.  Yes, non-smoking.  Uh huh.  Yeah, he's going to foot the bill.  What's the problem?  Oh.  Right.  Face trauma from falling down due to walking on obscure Japanese footwear that technically can only be worn by mythical beings that can fly, thus they don't need to walk in the-

hello?  Hello?  They hung up... weird. 

triangles

« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2011, 01:39:13 PM »
deathshoes
Isn't that how like falling down isn't the problem, it's the suddenly smashing into the ground part?

Beatrice

Yay!  She is the bestest.  The wig actually wasn't so bad but it was tight and heavy.  I really couldn't wear it for more than 4-5 hours at a time, so a smart move to do moe-moe Beatrice-mode  If you need any help let me know, though I think I actually rattled off most of the stuff I did in the OP.

labeth

« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2011, 11:27:15 PM »
I am also sneakily thinking ahead, because you could totally use a Moe-moe Beato wig for Yukari at a later time...

And yes, thank you for the notes, particularly on the skirt, as I am also 5'3". The Nitori skirt, cut in its original incarnation, almost hit my ankles. I lobbed about 10 inches off of it.

triangles

« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2011, 11:56:48 PM »
Just make the skirt elastic waistband + gathers, it's what I wound up doing in the end and it looks pretty good (though retrospect probably would have made the panels longer for more gather bunches) so psh forget zippers and actual patterns.  WAAAAAY easier.