Author Topic: Adventures in Cosplay!  (Read 191359 times)

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
Re: Adventures in Cosplay!
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2011, 09:39:25 PM »
I actually order most of my wigs from eBay nowadays, double so if I want it already prestyled.  I'm not sure what shade you were looking for as I've seen Satori art ranging from pastel pink to bolder purple/pink blends, but here's some places to start looking:

http://stores.ebay.com/Ayanamisatoru-cosplay-wig
http://stores.ebay.com/CosplayDNA-Wigs-for-Cosplay?_trksid=p4340.l2563
http://amphigory.com/wigs.html
http://arda-wigs.com/
http://www.epiccosplay.com/  (I think these are/were the Cosplay DNA guys...?)

You can also dye a wig to get the exact shade you're looking for, but I couldn't tell you about that from experience I'm afraid.

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2011, 10:48:39 PM »
I don't think I should make a thread so I'm asking here. Would anybody here mind helping me find a Satori wig? Thanks!
I've found that if you can't find a wig for a specific character, you could always get a wig for another character with similar hair. If you know a character from a popular franchise with Satori's general hairstyle, that should work just as well (that's what I did for the wig for my Momiji costume).

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2011, 11:47:53 PM »
Good advice thus far. I'll also throw out cosplaywig as I've gotten a few from them. Good price for good quality, and the shipping time is much shorter than what's listed.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

triangles

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 12:09:21 AM »
 Ah I knew I forgot someone!

I live in the giant suburban jungle know as North Jersey, and it was 12 days from when I ordered my Mami and Beatrice wigs to when I got them on my doorstep from China (the seller was Fantasy Sheep, I actually ordered via email based on listings from Taobao which is yet another option) which was insane. But I have had wigs take closer to a month from overseas, though.

Fortunately, the Satori hairstyle is basic enough so you do have options and if your heart isn't set on one particular shade even more so.  Though one thing I do need to point out if you have a larger head you may want to ask about how big it'll stretch to.  The one time we did a wig for MJP we had to cut the elastic in a few spots so it'd fit over his skull :V

triangles

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2011, 07:02:26 PM »
triangles' cosplay adventures this week thus far, self-bumpers gonna bump:

:V: Oh boy, the corset and boots I am making are the same color!  I can just buy a whole bunch of brown fabric and I'm good!
**start sewing both, also finishes all but hem/ribbon on skirt**

:ohdear:: Oh no, I am unskilled at boot covers and they will not produce the desired result!  I will stop wasting time and just buy cowboy boots to paint, but now I have so much extra fabric

**topstitches all the trim on corset, attaches lining and does final fitting before putting in boning**

:V: Oh this looks pretty snazzy let me try it on with the skirt to see how it all looks and-
 >:(: FFFFFFFFF CORSET IS 3 INCHES TOO SHORT DOESN'T EVEN HIT SKIRT WAISTBAND ON SIDES.   
 :o: I have plenty of fabric to remake it!

And so, triangles starts over. 

At least I can reuse some of the panels and bias tape trim for the glove pieces and I can size it down so I'm not going nuts trying to take it in...

Gramity

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2011, 10:08:53 PM »
you're gonna make it  ;)

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2011, 11:15:55 PM »
So yours truly, together with my rabid fangirl cousin and our almost rabid fangirl friend went to the midnight Harry Potter premiere cosplaying as Ravenclaw, Gryffindor and Slytherin respectively. My cousin had Hermione's wand and our frind had the Tri Wizard Cup. Being in a country where most people wouldn't be caught dead cosplaying at an event like this, we were, of course, the only three wackjobs who were wearing a full costume and not simply a witch's hat or gryffindor accesory.  :V

So, Here are pictures!

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee28/gaara_panda_luff/stuff/279606_10150720742270691_526870690_19962069_2718693_o.jpg Lol, I'm such a derp. :V
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee28/gaara_panda_luff/stuff/270238_10150336205035097_563325096_9888887_1910929_n.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee28/gaara_panda_luff/stuff/279522_10150720734850691_526870690_19961959_6103755_o.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee28/gaara_panda_luff/stuff/272035_10150720736875691_526870690_19961991_7031564_o.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee28/gaara_panda_luff/stuff/280490_10150720746045691_526870690_19962087_7009952_o.jpg Another derp face of mine. :V
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

triangles

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2011, 02:43:57 PM »
You ladies look so cute  :3
Were other people excited to see you in costume?  Back before I had no shame and would do it myself I was always secretly excited to see people dress up for things like that.

triangles costume update: corset front closure is one inch too short ahhhh need to make new front panels maybe.  Then again, last year I had basically all of Meiling to make within 5 days so I think it's not down to the wire enough for me to work well.  Or something.  Hopefully I'll have some pictures sometime next week since everything is better with pictures!

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2011, 04:57:43 PM »
You ladies look so cute  :3
Were other people excited to see you in costume?  Back before I had no shame and would do it myself I was always secretly excited to see people dress up for things like that.

Why thank you~!  :3

And I think we're gonna be the display picture of many random people in facebook. They flocked to take pictures with us as soon as we got there.  :3
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

triangles

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2011, 12:57:08 AM »
- Wear Meiling outfit to local con
- Leave wig in cloth bag since don't need to do anything between then and Otakon
- Cat pees on bag
- Take out wig to start packing for Otakon, discover problem
- Last ditch effort to clean wig currently in progress otherwise hello buying a new wig a week before the con

Adventures in cosplay  :colonveeplusalpha:

Reddyne

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 02:36:11 AM »
About two months after I put Ran on hold and life takes over, I get back on track. I got my entire tail harness done in a single day, and faster than I would've imagined, too.
- Leave wig in cloth bag since don't need to do anything between then and Otakon
- Cat pees on bag
- Last ditch effort to clean wig currently in progress otherwise hello buying a new wig a week before the con

Kitty needs a litter box refresher course?! :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2011, 08:52:23 AM »
- Cat pees on bag

If I were you, I'd be having me a deep fried kitty for dinner. Good luck getting a wig, if you end up needing to pursue that option.

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

triangles

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 12:57:37 PM »
Kitty needs a litter box refresher course?! :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

Kitty is who knows how old and is dumb, a dangerous combination.  Of course this is the first time she does something like this in months.  But we love Triangles despite it all.  Somehow.

The enzyme cleaner seems to work, it's almost dry but now it smells like cleaner :V
At least I could Febreeze over, and one of the cosplay wig sellers I posted earlier would get me the wig by Monday if I order tomorrow or Thursday, so I do have some time to see if the smell is out.

Heck, it's a basic enough wig I could probably find it in the dealer's room but I don't want to take that chance...

triangles

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2011, 12:34:49 AM »
Another self-bump but it's about time I get to be POSTING PICTURES up in this thread.

DAT CORSET
WTF
STILL NOT 100% HOW TO COMPLETE IT
I hastily pinned a slightly too big separating zipper which is the frontrunner on how to close it.  Any other ideas?
(yes that is a Mami ref pic on my laptop)

Currently working on skirt hem and I am going to finish the gloves too before calling it a night tonight.  Tomorrow is ~*~cosplay party~*~ so I'll be bringing the corset along with the boots to see if my friends have any brilliant ideas how to make it happen.  Did I mention the perfect boots I ordered the seller is a jerk and still hasn't shipped them?  YUP.  Thank you Goodwill, but now I have to snipsnip these and get the pointy bits to look ok :ohdear:

The shirt is one of those PATTERNS FOR DUMMIES that I am not modifying beyond poofy sleeves which oh hey I've done those a stupid amount of time.  That's looking to be my Saturday.

Maybe I'll actually finish before all-nighter crunch time :V

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2011, 12:42:47 AM »
GUESS WHAT I GET TO DO FOR HOMURA THIS WEEK =D!

That's right, those damned tights! I've decided to sew broadcloth diamonds on them. Oh, I also forgot the guns but someone has me covered there. This will be *fun*

triangles

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2011, 01:55:20 AM »
I'd be really cautious about sewing onto tights - I'd try having someone paint the diamonds on while you wear them first. 

Too bad Otakon is next week, otherwise you could have swung for these
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9886320251&

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2011, 03:48:46 PM »
I'm aware it's tricky. But, I talked to Jerry about it and it SHOULD work. We'll see what happens. Worst to worst I have to stick with Solid Black (or glue the diamonds on, which'd be *awesome*)

And wow, those are perfect. WHY WAS I NOT AWARE BEFORE D:?

triangles

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2011, 04:00:49 AM »
The thicker the better (tights VS pantyhose) - if you can use like the leggings material, that't give you the smallest chance of getting a terrible run when hand tacking them on.  Also, do you have access to a stretchy material, a knit or something?  That'll give you more, well, give than broadcloth and probably more forgiving.

And hahahah that's the seller I ordered my Mami wig from.  I only just thought about it when you mentioned working on the tights but  :*

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2011, 04:58:27 AM »
So I went with paint. WHY DID I NOT START WITH THAT IDEA!?

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »
Triangles: ZETTAI RYOUIKI nice costume.

Reddyne: I love your Meiling costume.

Nyankuu: I hope you wear those pants outside of cosplay. They're pretty rad.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2011, 09:54:09 AM »
Nyankuu: I hope you wear those pants outside of cosplay. They're pretty rad.
I've thought about it several times but it's a bit too hot outside to wear anything but shorts right now :fail:
My first attempt at storywriting, looking for critique

Avatar schizophrenia? I don't know what you're talking about.

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2011, 12:15:13 AM »
I finally got my wig for my Otakon cosplay. I have to cut my hair to get it to look right, though. And I have to find a way to get the ears attached to it (apparently, they don't come attached. Thank you, fine print). At least I have a wig to wear. That makes me happy. Pics coming later. :3

triangles

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2011, 12:58:13 AM »
PICS PICS PICS  :V
Two ideas for the ears, depending on what they're made of:

1) Glue or otherwise ears to white headband (probably the easiest)
2) Attach ears to the wig cap straps - either handsew or glue to a clip that can slip under the wighair and right into the cap part (which is what I'm doing for my hair accessories)

About 70% done with Mami as of now.  The skirt needed the trim handsewn stupid circle skirt so that's my evening tonight - 110 inches worth to do by hand  :ohdear:   Tomorrow I'm aiming to finish the shirt and the bell sleeves. 

Also SHORT SKIRT IS SHORT.
This is what I get for using one of those Halloween Hooker-Everything patterns (but it had the skirt and a corset component that I wound up completely freestyling anyway.  At least it's accurate to anime standards? 

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2011, 03:14:01 AM »
triangles: Homura's skirt is short too D:. WHY ARE 14 YEAR OLD GIRLS MAHOU SHOUJOING IN THESE OUTFITS D:?

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2011, 07:38:04 AM »
triangles: Homura's skirt is short too D:. WHY ARE 14 YEAR OLD GIRLS MAHOU SHOUJOING IN THESE OUTFITS D:?
Well, at least they have the advantage of actual magic!
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Reddyne

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2011, 10:32:47 PM »
Reddyne: I love your Meiling costume.
Thanks so much! You were lookin' pretty sharp as Nitori yourself. Now come on over to AUSA in November. AUSA: Hangout-con 2011. Everybody hangs out and there's no obligations because all everyone does is just hang out.

Done with the tail harness and now the tail pattern and cutting the fur. Here's a pic of the way it looks now before sewing, reinforcement, and stuffing:

Now, here's a pic of all the fur I could gather from the area immediately surrounding the cutting area:

I couldn't readily gather all the fur I found there and I did not collect the fur I found in the hall, in the air conditioner's filter, in my closet, on my socks, on my bed, in the bathroom, and on the shower drain. Man. All these little stories you get from cosplay. I'd have none of these stories if I just watched TV or bopped around the internet all day. Speaking of which, prepping for Otakon now.

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2011, 07:24:17 AM »
Promised picture of me in my wig
Trying to go for Momiji in this outfit. (danbooru warning), and this hair (danbooru warning). Sadly, I won't have the outfit in time for Otakon, but I'll have sandals (not the final version), gloves, and wig.

Yucari

• Humble Tengu Reporter
  • Ah! Domo.
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
Finally joined this board. So I guess I'll just leave this here: http://www.acparadise.com/acp/display.php?a=56678

I'll be debuting Aya at Otakon, and I'll have my friend as Momiji with me. She's gonna be adorable.

triangles

« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »
^^^ Oh hey welcomes!

Also look look staying up until XXXX o'clock paid off sort of!

I think I have to make the hat about an inch shorter but otherwise I think I'm actually going to finish on time without (another) all-nighter :V

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2011, 08:34:24 PM »
I'll be debuting Aya at Otakon, and I'll have my friend as Momiji with me. She's gonna be adorable.

I have great faith that you will be fully in character and abusing the tail off of your Momiji. 

I should post a picture of the costume that I'm doing for Otakon too.  Going for combination of minimum effort for a one-time deal that prooooobably nobody will care about after a year.  Oh well.