Author Topic: Adventures in Cosplay!  (Read 191157 times)

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
Adventures in Cosplay!
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:59:57 AM »
(I'm putting this here since it's closer in theme to all the convention threads than THIS IS ART ones in AA)

My name is triangles, and I am a cosplayer.  I've been cosplaying in some capacity since 2002.  Usually very poorly, as I learned how to sew by making costumes trial by fire.  I kept at it, even got MJP to do some sewing and overall am quite proud of my work nowadays and find myself enjoying sitting behind a sewing machine to make something awesome. While many of my friends that I met in these early days have become ~*~cosplay famous~*~ I have always only done costumes of things I was really a fan and passionate about, which means while I'll never win awards or have a gazillion hits on some website gallery, it's always such a treat to run into fans of the shows and games I adore!

My latest outfit from this weekend is one of my favorite characters in my favorite outfit of hers:

I was running the cosplay chess this morning, I figured Beatrice was more than appropriate.

While most of the outfit was either in my closet or from the store with little modifications, that skirt.
Let me tell the saga of that skirt:
I buy a EZ SEW tier ruffly skirt pattern, and considering I've done some seriously intense things in 2010 figure that it'll be not a problem so I don't begin until the end of May.  However, I decide that the skirt pattern wasn't short enough (I'm 5'3" with short legs, and most female patterns are designed for the 5'7" range) so I'm going to lop off the bottom tier and call it a day.
Ahahahahaha
hahahaha
ha.

Turns out it would have been only about an inch or two too long and leaving off the bottom tier meant:
A) It didn't zip up properly without
B) Serious booty showing,  Like, hello underwear showing.

Two things that just wouldn't do.  So I'm spending hours sewing and resewing and trying to cheat out an extra two inches so it can zip and playing with the gathers so it'll behave properly and be long enough before I realize.... it's a ruffle skirt.  With gathers.  Elastic waistbands create bunching and gathers nicely.  I can make those in my sleep (see: Otakon 2009 Alice costume)  Why am I trying to make a zipper skirt again?
Clearly, I don't thing things in advance!  I start freestyling with purpose by adding a strip of  backing fabric to keep the tiers in place as I get the skirt to stay up without being indecent and call it a day.

Of course, there are things I plan to fix up before Otakon such as replace the vest buttons to gold to match the VN version, add another ruffle for symmetry above the bottom since that's what I lost in the Quest For Modesty (you can almost see the 4th tier right below the shirt) and get the one-winged eagle tattoo on. Also the rose clip I made fell apart today and I resorted to sticking a hair pin through the flower itself and jamming it into the wig so I need something a bit more stable.... but for cramming this getup in during finals review week?  Not so bad!

My next outfit, as I have mentioned in the Otakon thread, is Mami Tomoe as it's like my new favorite show.  I'm on break for a while so the sewing doesn't seem like it'll be any more challenging than things I've done before, but this will be my first venture into serious props with Unlimited Musket Works.  While I plan on getting wooden base ones from eBay or something, I still have to paint and jury-rig a curtsy drop for them without making it a disaster.  Nevermind the soul gem and figuring out boots.  Should make for a good summer project which I'll be sure to report on!

My 2nd Otakon project is helping MJP make a Brohou Eirin.  He has some sewing experience, but what we have in mind will be a challenge for him and we've agreed that I'll do the handsewing constellations since I like that sort of thing.  3rd if there's time is crank out another Touhou (Youmu?) but that's looking more like 2012 at this rate.

Alright, so what are the rest of you cosplayers up to lately?  I've seen inklings of things while poking around the con threads, but here's a place to share ideas with congoers across the board!

Gramity

Re: Adventures in Cosplay!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:34:09 AM »
:)
I'm gramity cosplayer since hmmm about two week ago ^^ can't sew ( learning it) and I'll see how good I'll be nexxt year when my ran will be finished ^^

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 03:26:50 AM »
The only cosplay I've used is the Yuuka one you altered for me yourself, triangles. :toot:

I want to get Madoka in time for Otakon, but that means buying it in my case... Which comes after the train tickets and con ticket...

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 04:08:41 AM »
Ohhhhh you had to go and start it, didn'tcha? I'll post details later because I need sleep and interview prep!

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:19:31 AM »
Lessee...  I've always had an interest in costuming since I was little, when I'd help my mom make Halloween costumes for me from scratch.  But last year's Otakon was really the first time I actually Cosplayed (even though I could do it 'till Saturday since my wig arrived in the mail the night before, I spent Friday in my EGL yukata, talk about last minute ahahaa).  I really wish I could have the sewing skills my mom has, but maybe at some point when my living situation settles I'll have the space and stuff to actually work on that and make some stuff.  Also makeup...  I still need to get better doing makeup.  And most importantly, I need to actually do my propwork (sword/shield/wooden tokin/new tengu geta).  So many ideas, gah.

Mocking Morning

• Tonight We Stand In Circles!
  • DHS Danmaku Inspector
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 07:21:53 AM »
Never cosplayed since I'm the dude that's chillin' behind the lens at cons. (The photographer)
How many times have you woken up and asked yourself: What the hell am I doing?
Today, your plane did not blow up thanks to the cooperation of Touhou Girls and TSA Officers.

Reddyne

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 02:15:33 PM »
I can't use a polite sage for a selfpost, can I? Oh well.

Got started at my first con in '07. I didn't know jack about sewing, so I threw together a Kyon and a Nicholas D. Wolfwood outfit and had a lot of fun with it. After one more costume and getting a brief rundown of how sewing and making an article of clothing actually works, I took a respite until fall of '09 where I got a few proper sewing lessons before going out on my own. I've made 5 other costumes since. It's also gone from something I just sorta did on a whim to something most of my friends do. It's boosted my self confidence a lot as well.

I'm a bit stubborn about learning and doing all of my costumes myself now. I can often figure out how to put something together but have no knowledge of the terminology involved. I still think trim, edging, lace, and binding are all the same thing. Still, I've always enjoyed making things and always enjoyed figuring things out on my own. Typically, I'm satisfied with the results. The only costume that I've made that I've been dissatisfied with was my Yumemi Okazaki one, which had more stupid mistakes and learning errors than I care to mention.

Next up is a commissioned project which I hope to get done and out of the way well before Otakon. I'll then get back on course with Ran. I really want that tail rig to be something spectacular. I also would like the ears to move in some capacity. I'm thinking a little bit of light robotics work like I did in college will do it. Might just keep stoppin' on by to make this into a progress thread sorta deal.

My 2nd Otakon project is helping MJP make a Brohou Eirin.
OH DADDY!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:19:32 PM by Reddyne »

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »
OH DADDY!

The plan: we take a lab coat and do it up in the four-color quadrant thing, get a stethoscope, one of those doctor's reflector things instead of a nurse's cap.  I'm toying with being Aaron Yagokoro House, M.D., and walking around with a cane and a tude, but that might be a bit too meta.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 07:00:48 PM »
I'm toying with being Aaron Yagokoro House, M.D., and walking around with a cane and a tude, but that might be a bit too meta.
You can never be too meta. Especially not with a concept as awesome as yours.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 08:34:17 PM »
You can never be too meta. Especially not with a concept as awesome as yours.

So if I do Dr. Aaron House Zoidberg, walk around with a red glove on my face, scuttle with a cane, and the Eirin labcoat, it's not too meta?

I'm sure I could find someone from M.A.S.H. to throw in too  :V

Reddyne

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 09:03:27 PM »
Brotip: When I did Eirin's constellations, I used buttons with a shank. When sewing the buttons in place, I faced the hole of the shank so that it would face the previous button and the next button about 50-50. Then I just fed a bit of string in between the holes of the button shanks and it worked quite well. Use your own method if you wish, but this worked out quite well.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 09:54:52 PM »
I started googling Alice costumes after seeing this thread. I was amused by the number of stores which sold them in both female and male sizes ...

Man I need to get better at shaving |3

triangles

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 10:24:04 PM »
Or not!  Sure doesn't stop lots of Brohous  :V

I have to second the issues with makeup, it is still my one major issue in cosplay (and real life too, for that matter)  This past con was the first time I used this thing called "lipstick" but I need to stop looking like I applied my eye makeup with boxing gloves on whenever I do anything more intense than neutral eye shadow and mascara.

Also Reddyne you're insane with the hand painting.  I like sewing since it's much easier to hide the fact I have terrible hand-eye coordination and can barely draw stick people.  Prop work scares me so much, but at least I have a garage now to do stuff in!

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 10:25:47 PM »
So if I do Dr. Aaron House Zoidberg, walk around with a red glove on my face, scuttle with a cane, and the Eirin labcoat, it's not too meta?

I'm sure I could find someone from M.A.S.H. to throw in too  :V
Simply referencing as much as possible is not meta.

I thought you were refferring to the stealth pun inherent in your 2-character mixupp.  BV
Spoiler:
Aaron ~ Eirin

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 11:10:12 PM »
I want to work on a Satori cosplay. But first, I should work on her Third Eye to see what I can do using materials I can find (tennis ball, fabric, aquarium tubing) :V

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

triangles

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 12:19:47 AM »
I'd suggest a Christmas ornament instead of a tennis ball - it'd be easier to paint  and give a smoother surface texture.  Probably can find them on mad clearance at this time of year  :V

Reddyne

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 12:37:24 AM »
A bit of Hollywood hide-my-whiskers makeup is okay, but I don't want to go too berserk with it. I'd also rather get some help the first time so I don't waste $20 of whatever and look ridiculous. Might be worth a yuk or two to get a pro to go the whole nine yards with it but I wouldn't feel comfortable with it after a while on top of cost and prep time.
Also Reddyne you're insane with the hand painting.  I like sewing since it's much easier to hide the fact I have terrible hand-eye coordination and can barely draw stick people.  Prop work scares me so much, but at least I have a garage now to do stuff in!
Um, I actually blew up a couple reference images and made stencils out of them. After that, I just traced around the stencils and filled the rest in. Yay 2nd grade art class!
I want to work on a Satori cosplay. But first, I should work on her Third Eye to see what I can do using materials I can find (tennis ball, fabric, aquarium tubing) :V
It always comes down to the right materials. Take a walk through a Michael's or maybe a Rocky's and you'll find something. A styrofoam ball with a bit of gesso before the paint might work well too.

Gramity

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 04:28:53 AM »
Instead of playing Blazblue I should go see some shops for material  :3

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 06:50:04 AM »
I thought you were refferring to the stealth pun inherent in your 2-character mixupp.  BV
Spoiler:
Aaron ~ Eirin
Spoiler:
Not really, since "eirin" is pronounced "ay-reen"

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 12:02:19 PM »
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I know how Eirin is pronounced. The question is just how much you have to slur your "Aaron".
  :3

Byaaakuren

• Animu List
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 02:23:52 AM »
It always comes down to the right materials. Take a walk through a Michael's or maybe a Rocky's and you'll find something. A styrofoam ball with a bit of gesso before the paint might work well too.

I'd suggest a Christmas ornament instead of a tennis ball - it'd be easier to paint  and give a smoother surface texture.  Probably can find them on mad clearance at this time of year  :V

Thanks for the suggestions! Also, how would I go about attaching the arteries of the third eye? (Something I've been thinking about)

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 04:35:46 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! Also, how would I go about attaching the arteries of the third eye? (Something I've been thinking about)

You could either glue the end of the arteries to the third eye, or if you're really careful, you can run the tubing right through the third eye by poking holes in it. (I'm not sure if I'm explaining this clearly.)  :ohdear:

I'm considering doing a Byakuren cosplay but I have no idea how to get started. I was thinking of getting a white turtleneck sweater and sewing fabric around the bottom of it to create a tiered pattern for the white dress. I could probably buy a random black jacket and hack triangles into the middle, but it doesn't really sound like a great idea.  I could sew one from scratch, but I don't know how.
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Gramity

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 05:16:42 AM »
I need a mini Chen with me :3

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 01:17:06 PM »
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Quit Eirin your grievances out in public :V

triangles

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 08:51:36 PM »
[/quote

Pretty much seconding what Aoshi said.
Hot glue is surprisingly durable depending on item consistency, though if you're going to be at a hot-weather con outdoors alot maybe not so much.  Also drilling or poking a hole could work.

I'm considering doing a Byakuren cosplay but I have no idea how to get started.

Back when I was planning on Byakuren (before realizing I just don't have the body type or complexion to do her justice) I had figured on making the white underdress separate from the black "jacket"  Many costume old-tyme dress patterns seem like they'd be workable with the two layers.  Hardest part will be the turtleneck as that's harder to find on dress patterns, which you could either just freestyle one big enough to slip your head through (I have done this before) or use a mock dickey and secure some snaps or something to keep it in place concealed.

Reddyne

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 01:21:12 PM »
I'd just go back to the styrofoam balls and drill a hole through them. Either the indoor or outdoor Goop you find at hardware stores will hold them right where they need to be forever.

Ugh! A week with two interviews! Now I can finally get back to getting my commission done!

Gramity

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 06:46:15 AM »
good I'm beginning to think about making my ran cosplay :) there will be another ran cosplay at my con I hope the tails will be good since I need some inspiration for them :)

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 07:07:09 PM »
Hey there's a thread about this!

I remember getting interrested in cosplay about a year ago,Touhou and alla that, so I figured I'd make a genderswap Okuu because... Okuu really.
I got to work on the wings and pants first, making them as school projects. Then everything pretty much stagnated until sometime around... February this year I think, when I heard about some cosplay making course.

After starting at the course I made some real headway and I had finished pretty much everything about a week before my first con at the 3rd of June.

Final result+hat that I love wearing for the sake of it. (image should be ok for the forum)

I also wore a Mokou a that con but that one is purchased so I won't brag about that here :3

My first attempt at storywriting, looking for critique

Avatar schizophrenia? I don't know what you're talking about.

triangles

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2011, 02:17:34 AM »
Nice Okuu :D  She has pretty much the niftiest Touhou outfit IMO and it's super cool that you got to work on them as school projects!

So with Otakon less than 3 weeks away I have gone into COSPLAY OVERDRIVE.  For reference, I am making this classy dame.  I bought the wig prestyled from China, it's not amazing close up but way better than I could do, and a wooden toy musket that is almost done with base coat of paint before I go at it with the black and silver. 

Today was Fabric Shopping Day and Attempt To Craft Boot Cover Apparatus of Fun Foam And Failing Day, and at this point I am absolutely convinced most of the Mami cosplayers on the internet have commissioned the boots from China because egads.   Well, that's not an option any more
Spoiler:
it never was because I have monster calves compared to, uh, all the females ever according to the size chart boo
but I did find a tutorial that'll hopefully be good enough that doesn't involve foamies and I do have plenty of leftover skirt fabric to use as experiment fodder :V

Unfortunately, all the fabric/craft stores in the area are at the edge of a 15mi radius and I forgot a number of critical things in sewing ANY component of the costume, such as skirt zipper, corset lining, shirt buttons, what the hell I am doing for the soul gem, enough yellow bias tape... fortunately, MJP works in NYC's garment district and has easy access to all these things hooray!

For Otakon he's going to go as MORNING RESCUE MAN since it requires like no sewing (Dr. Eirin is gonna have to wait until Katsucon) oh boy couples cosplay sort of :3

Byaaakuren

• Animu List
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 09:09:26 PM »
I don't think I should make a thread so I'm asking here. Would anybody here mind helping me find a Satori wig? Thanks!

On topic, my eye is almost done. Gotta glue the tubes to the ball and white hearts to the slippers.