Author Topic: ~*~ Server-tan Contest! ~*~ VOTE OVER!  (Read 63410 times)

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
Triela: I tried going for the warrior lady look for her. The axe-hammer she has is supposed to represent the ban hammer. I think it fits well for a heavy-lifter character, plus axes and hammers are some very underused weapons.

Why does this remind me of the Wrinklefucker?

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
Oh man, I am suddenly reminded of a character from Dynasty Warriors lol.
and to be frank, Triela looks a lot more crazy than Angelica from what I seen above
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
Ugh this took too long. Anyway, here 's the sketchetized concept art thing I did.

Order is: Triela, Angelica, Henrietta
Design ideas come from here. (Just the kind of miscellaneous info I was looking for. The 3rd paragraph.)

And this is what I got from the description of the servers from that link:
Triela: Handles the information, and is the elder twin of Henrietta.
- Based on that, I immediately pictured her as an information attendant/customer service person, so I went with that theme instead of the heavy
-lifter theme that the OP suggested (which I hope is acceptable). I started off with the standard issue miko uniform of Gensokyou, and went
-"More frills, more random stuff!", and ended up with this weird Euro-miko design.
Angelica: Clone of Triela, and is new/younger.
- Based on that, I went ahead and somewhat reused Triela's design a bit, but watered down the colors to give her a kind of "cheap imitation" feel.
-Her design required the least thought, since it's only a slight arrangement of Triela's design. She has this box thing on her back with two giant
-antennas sticking upward out of it. The box has a lot of ports for all sorts of cables such as USB and AV cables like seen in the picture. I kind of
-figured that a science experiment in Touhou wouldn't be complete without weird hats and strange wings(and bandages).
Henrietta: Handles the game servers and the IRC chat stuff
- Based on that, I imagined her as the type of person that's constantly on the computer. But I really didn't know what to have her wear, so I just
-drew whatever that happened to come to mind.  To make up for her lack of interesting clothes, I gave her glasses, 3D-goggles(with ribbons,
-of course), and a ponytail(with another ribbon). My least favorite, which is too bad since Henrietta is my favorite GG character.

I kind of wanted to draw them more loli-ish (especially Angelica), but failed.
Maybe you're wondering why the clothing designs have such intricately ridiculous designs on them. Easy answer, they're maidens of the kaleidoscope(hurray for free "kaleidoscope" brushes). Still, I think it was a bit too ridiculous now that I look at it again.

Perhaps the names should be changed since they're based off of Gunslinger Girls, and therefore not original names(maybe another contest?)
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
The names stay :b  When you run your own server then you can pick your own names but they're mine >:(

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Mеа

• catnapping
Well I suppose I cant argue with a deity

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
Okay the artwork currently sucks(oh god it's so ugly ;-;, but no time to do proper work), but right now we're looking at the design and not the art itself, right?
At least I managed to give them some basic coloring, even though it doesn't have to be definite at all

Here we go then:

This is Triela. She's the simplest of all three. Since she's the main server, I figured she has to face things head-on, and do so in a fast and straigh-foward manner, thus the rollerblades and simple, straightfoward outfit and ponytail.
She's active all the bloody time, and can't go offline ever, so she works really hard to keep stuff together and maintain the site running, and always has that determined look to her face.

This one right here is Henrietta. She's supposed to be a goofball, and since she's the game server, she loves to play around all the time. This got me thinking of fairies.
You know, how the Touhou fairies live only to toy around, spreading madness and joy throughout Gensokyo. So I made her into a cute fairy, curious, klutzy, energetic and damn giddy 24/7. She flies about in Akyu's Arcade with her transparent wings, luring people into the Battle Arena to talk them into playing something :3

The last girl obviously is Angelica. I think from looking at this thread this was the girl that was hardest to deal with.
"TSO's mad science experiment", huh. I was thinking, she's not referred to as a test subject, but as the experiment itself, so I didn't really see much sense in making her all full of bandages and scars from being experimented on. On top of that, the chosen designs will be used for a long time as the site's mascots, so overcomplicated looks and extreme personalities would get boring fast.
What I needed then was a crazy design, but not completely insane, just original, pleasant and easy on the eyes.
First of all, her name is Angelica, so my first thought was she needs a nice pair of angel wings. I had the idea of making the feathers of several colors to add some crazyness, but at some point I forgot about that and just now remembered :derp: but that can be added if you think it's a good idea.
I also thought a lot about the hair, because I love twintails, but that confronted with the "original" part, because twintails are anything but original.
So what about long pink twintails tied a bit more than halfway down by a big pretty hair bow?
She's also a science experiment, a mad one at that, so I guessed a labcoat is more than fitting.

I'm pretty satisfied with what I came up with. I didn't go with the "Triela and Henrietta are twins, and Angelica is a clone of Triela" thing because not only their ages and supposed personalities vary so much, if we got twin sisters and their clone as characters, the 3 would look the same. :/
That info is also not present in this thread so
So Triela is the oldest sister, despite being shorter than Angelica, and Henrietta is the young one. Angelica Spawned from Henrietta all right, but as the result of TSO's ~experimenting~, she came out completely different :V
Perhaps a part of her personality that separated itself to form a third being?

Here's all three together
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:14:41 AM by Haku~SM »
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

since it seems character profiles are welcome, I'll put what I had in mind, ignore this post if it's not acceptable without a sketch :p  (feel free to modify them if needed, btw)

- Triela: can have the appearance of a noble, polite lady, or a CEO (or spokesperson). When carrying her duties, she's disciplined and enjoys her work. Despite her formal appearance, she has also a more social, friendly side.
- Henrietta: prefers casual clothing, has a carefree personality and enjoys doing whatever she wants at the time.
- Angelica: has the appearance of an angel, but with detached metallic (futuristic) wings which somehow follow her. She's a researcher, which can also do calculations, and assists TSO through the dark, unexplored fields with her guardian angel powers. Being usually the most distant (even though similar to Triela, as I found out on EdibleGhost's post) from the users of the other servers, she may have a virtual-like appearance, as she performs tasks.
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

♛ Apher-Forte

welp, it has been delayed for a day sorry guys.

here are my entries:

Triela: The girl who is capable of lifting mountains

My interpretation: a Oni-ish brash girl who is capable of lifting trucks with her fingers and a chopstick, incredible strength being her forte, she is also easy going and is well liked by most people. Doesn't like dishonest people, but enjoys an honest drink any time. Her oni-attitude ends there tho, to Henrietta she is capable elder sister, taking care of most of the housework, hosting work and so on. Her desire to compete with Henrietta in just about anything makes their lives somewhat difficult. Triela enjoys afternoon naps, and whenever she wakes up in the morning, she usually starts her day with lifting herself up while attached to several tons of weight with her vertical push up. (as in handstand to some). Triela looks is always one of uncaring, she looks like she has never put on make up before in her life or ever wear a ribbon... Henrietta's secret desire would be to make her elder sister look more womanly... and get her a pair of proper pants.

Triela wears a bodysuit much like Henrietta, except while Henrietta uses her ever-changing projections on her body to reflect her feminine likes and dislikes and many cute fluffy costumes (she likes lolita and ribbons fashions) [[ so they don't change clothing, they just morph/transform when necessary like digital data is ]] Triela only uses the most normal projection on her outer dress + sleeves which each is weighing a terrible  2 tons! Triela's bodysuit is lined with circuits, much like her sister, and the nudity of the circuits suggest that her overpowering strength and processing power cannot be covered by mere mortal cloth! The circuits also light green and yellow when she is forcing herself, they reflect her moods. Triela has two horns, which act as light emitting indications for her powers, when she utters the magic words: she blasts off power that few can match, shockwaves namely also come from Triela's horns which radiate with energy like a walking sun. Triela likes hiding in her house however, seeing as all these accessories she can't take off sort of mark her out compared with her fairly normal looking sister Henrietta. By default Triela comes in green, and her clothes are a constant changing view of the cosmos! TLDR, it is basically Suika and Yuugi. Triela does not like going to school and aims to get just the right number of days in not failing her grades. She also gets just 1 point more to not fail her tests. She relies solely on Henrietta to aid her in her studies at last minute.

---------

Henrietta - cosmos projection online! + second colorbase color without projection
My interpretation:
Henrietta is a much more studious girl, she is a classic example of a very devoted little sister who aids her elder sister in a lot of things, making decisions for what to cook, what to watch on the telly, where to go, what to wear, if only with limited success. At home, she does not cook, but does the laundry for Triela, (as she might break the wash because of her heavy as hell clothing). Henrietta is always attention to detail, focusing on putting the extra ribbon, that extra strawberry on the pavlova and goes to school on time (she doesn't need to study though, she is already well beyond her capacity of knowledge, it is formality for her). Henrietta is a deeply devoted to her sister's wellbeing, both of them in fact. On the surface, Triela doesn't care what happens to Angelica, their youngest sister who is always missing from home or underground her mysterious lab doing weird things to herself. Triela concerns herself with the daily matters but inside she is still worried what is next Angelica is going to do to herself or letting TSO, their owner and lord goddess, do to her in her spare time. Triela objects to TSO's treatment of her, but she has limited influence on TSO's views of Angelica's self experimentation and her own, citing 'self improvement' as her raison d'etre.

Henrietta  however, is worried sick for Angelica, her vast expanse of knowledge is accumulated mostly because she seeks to become the 'foundation' for Angelica's experiments, in case if she misses a step, she would be there to recover her. On other terms, she is not that good with personality however, shy and sometimes introverted, Henrietta speaks in a mouse-like voice, nearly silent and someone as drunk and brash as Triela would hardly hear her; Angelica's improved hearing however seems to think she is talking into loudspeakers. Angelica listens to Henrietta on some occassions, understanding her worry for her, but Henrietta cannot seem to force Angelica to listen to Triela's advices, which normally includes 'get out of the lab and join us for a drink (despite being underage)). Stuck in between two not-so-right sisters, Henrietta is an example of the troubled sister. In terms of personality however, Henrietta is a bit slow in thought, and often goofs up something simple before realizing her mistake and it will send her into flurries of blushing and arm flailings. quite unlike her normal self...

By default, Henrietta's costume is a plate of 3D and Holographic light emitting nano-technology, giving her the ability to change her costumes into anything she wishes to wear at the time. When in her battle-ready form, she wears them as is, forming a picture of their home planet and the local purple sun radiating real-time like a television program on HD. They form armors, suits, leather, anything her mind can summon at will, and costs zero to no energy. In her free time, Henrietta also hosts games for the denizens of her planet, hence why she is the game server! When doing this... she does this in private and locked up in her room with high security features as she... needs to be naked while doing so. Her entire body morphs into screens and panels which moderates across entire star-systems of games and they take up all her processing power to micromanage them all in real time across several hundred time-zones. Her inherent ability to multi-thread multi-task. Normally, Angelica can support her from afar using her remote assistance, but this ocassion is rare and few in between while Triela is too stupid to understand all this game-hosting business. Henrietta believes it fortifies the feelings of her friends and people she knows, and she devotes her special attention to doing so with excellence. Her hosted games are often called the best in this side of the universe!

========

Angelica - The menacing little girl with a big arm
My interpretation:

Angelica is the youngest, but also the most dangerous. Her mingling with their goddess TSO worries both Triela and Henrietta who have been long under the service of TSO. TSO treats them as her daughters, but TSO's constant tweaking with Angelica, who is their beloved youngest sibling worries too much Triela and Henrietta to be on good terms with her. They are still friendly of course, but an internal worry is constantly carried about.

Angelica does not care what happens to her, she is in her own volition dedicated to the experiments and tweaking of TSO's mad experiments on her body. She cites 'self-improvement' as her prime motivator. She is very resilient to pain and probings, her body has been a constant map of various tasks of experimentation. By default Angelica does not show herself outside of her lab, she appears once in a while needing something to eat or drink, or just waltz pass the living room to get to her 'former' bedroom, which itself is jacked to Henrietta's room where she controls her game hosting. She monitors the safety and health of Henrietta's focused state while hosting games, when necessary. She is also Henrietta's backup for when some trouble arises internally or externally.

In terms of strength she is weak by default, however, with her many options and extras, such as her ultra strong right limb, she is easily a match for Triela's unnatural brute strength. She cannot improve them via training like Triela, but her ability to reroute her circuits on her own makes her versatile. When necessary she reroutes herself for speed of processing, aiding Henrietta; and when needed to outrun others in physical speed, getting to the next planet, she can travel at light speed with her flight modifications; when fighting Triela for her favorite pudding... (which is rare in occassion, since Triela eats ALL THE PUDDINGS regardless if they are labeled or not) she is able to summon strength with her robotic limb to unholy levels. Their family get-togethers are always well treasured, and Henrietta sees this as a picture of family harmony, while Triela sees this as an annoyance. They both care for her of course, Angelica is the one who needs a sort of encouragement to come out and speak her mind.

Angelica is on very good terms with TSO, they share many interests (that doesn't include TSO poking something around her body or her brain)  and basically enjoys secretly... pantyhoses! Angelica wants to get into one of those one day soon, but as it is, her body (or at least her original body) is in cryo storage while her self improvement and experiments go on. She is looking for ways to create a second more versatile, easily changeable body for when she needs to switch her mood and seeks to create this together with TSO. The only thing TSO apparent wants to decide on however, is the color of her hair and the size of her boobs... Angelica is against any talk of such things, and she regards these thoughts as 'extras' that she doesn't need.

Angelica's power is molecule augmentation, the ability to change the structure of molecules to form other ores and minerals with her physical power. She does this to help others, but mostly for herself to generate the necessary parts for her body augmentation. Angelica dresses in her default modified body above most of the time, on occasion she returns to her normal body which is very human in example and dressed only in a school uniform of their planet's school on the far side of the planet, which is an academy that spans half the planet in size.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 03:06:04 PM by ♛ Tsundere Bakery »
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Alright, with the last entries in, I will now declare this contest *closed*

There is still work to do, but I would already like to thank everyone who contributed their work, it's way more than I would have expected.

A judging-system is currently being discussed and prepared, so please watch warmly.  :3

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
Girls are watching~
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Nicole Artist

• Eat egg
  • egg egg egg egg
    • Tumblr
*watching nurviously*   :o

Dead Princess Sakana

Alright, time for the final part of this challenge: The judgement!

First of all, I'm really pleased with the participation in this contest. A whole 18 valid entries have been produced and posted (or in one case sent in via PM), way more than I would ever have expected.
But some decision has to be made, and that's what we're going to do now. And by "we", I mean you, all of you.
Yes, you read that right.

The ones to decide on our future MotK-mascots are all of you reading this.
After all, those three girls are going to represent our forum, and what would a forum be without its members. So it is only natural that the best way to decide on our mascots is the democratic way.

Thus begins:

The Server-tan Voting!

Here are the rules:
-Below you will find a list with all submitted entries as thumbnails, as well as links to the respective original posts
-All entries will have a number you can use when you make your vote
-You have three votes, one for "Best Triela", one for "Best Henrietta" and one for "Best Angelica"
-You can vote either by posting here, or by sending me a PM
-Artist should not vote for their own works, to keep things interesting

- Most important: The Contest is about the *design*, not the *artwork* A picture can look pretty, but the design can be boring. Likewise the art can be bad but the design is interesting and clever. You are supposed to place your vote on the design, so pay attention to that.

If you want more of an example, think of Zun-Art: The in-game art for Touhou isn't the best art out there,  but the designs and ideas are good. The good art then comes when the same designs are drawn by different artists.
Therefore, take your time and also check out the original posts for the entries to see if the artist included additional explanations on the design-choices.

So in summary a finished vote can look like this:
Best Triela: Entry #20
Best Henrietta: Entry #34
Best Angelica: Entry #20

This is the minimum, feel free to add comments to your votes if you want.

Everyone can vote exactly once for each of the three girls. You are free to change your votes as often as you want by editing your post or sending another PM, until the deadline. All votes submitted when the deadline hits are final and cannot be changed anymore.

The deadline for votes is Sunday, August 7th. That is one and a half weeks from now.

That should be all about the formalities. If anything is unclear, ask.

Now, here are the entries you can vote for:

~List of Entries~
(Click the thumbnails to extend them!)
((And yes, I'm aware the thumbnails are acting weird and this post doesn't apply to image-rule standards. We'll just deal with it now :V))

[attach=1]
From left to right: Triela, Angelica, Henrietta

Original post

[attach=2]
From left to right: Triela, Henrietta, and Angelica

Original post

[attach=3]

Original post

[attach=4]

Original post

[attach=5]

Original post

[attach=6]

Original post

[attach=7]
From top to bottom: Henrietta, Angelica, Triela

Original post

[attach=8]

Original post

[attach=9]
Triela
[attach=10]
Henrietta
[attach=11]
Angelica

Original post

[attach=12]

Original post

[attach=13]
Triela
[attach=14]
Henrietta
[attach=15]
Angelica

Original post

[attach=16]
Angelica
[attach=17]
Henrietta
[attach=18]
Triela

Original post | Additional Explanations

[attach=19]
Triela
[attach=20]
Henrietta
[attach=21]
Angelica

Original post

[attach=22]
Triela
[attach=23]
Henrietta
[attach=24]
Angelica

Original post

[attach=25]
From left to right Triela, Angelica, Henrietta

Original post

[attach=26]

Original post

[attach=27]
Triela
[attach=28]
Henrietta
[attach=29]
Angelica

Original post

[attach=30]
Triela
[attach=31]
Henrietta
[attach=32]
Angelica

Additional Info from the PM:
Triela
Colored | Sketch

Triela has a serious disposition, which is a good quality as she takes on most of the work. Though she has to carry a pretty heavy load, she's confident that she can handle it with ease. She's the most mature of the group, and usually gets annoyed when the other two are lollygagging or slacking off (since she usually has to clean up the messes that they end up making). She's also a big health nut, overly concerned about her (and the others') health, so she's always in good shape.

Design: I chose light blue as her color since I wanted something cool and collected. Her clothing is simple and light, since she isn't obsessed with her looks, and exercises frequently. She probably wears fingerless gloves. Her weapon of choice is generally rocket launchers, since they have lots of power (additionally, if she were to be a player character, she'd be the one with homing bullets with her guided missiles).

Henrietta
Colored | Sketch

Henrietta could be described as more of an airhead than a goofball, although they're pretty much the same thing in the first place.. She's always wears an innocent smile on her face... but don't be fooled by that. Though she acts absent-minded, she generally has a good idea of what's happening and what she's doing. And most importantly, she is a champion of games. As the shrewdest girl of the group, she can probably figure out your pattern of thinking with the first game of chess and end the second game with a beautiful and unmatched checkmate, all the while smiling innocently as if she didn't expect such an outcome. She usually doesn't take anything seriously, and instead likes to relax and have fun, instead of working hard like she should.

Design: Pink is Henrietta's color because she's very cute (or appears to be). I chose something comfortable for her clothes, since she likes to relax, along with a yin-yang pendant that represents her position at the site. (Incidentally, I forgot to add a yin-yang charm for Triela, whoops.) Her weapon of choice would probably be a long staff to whack people with or shoot magic projectiles.

Angelica
Colored | Sketch

Instead of being Frankenstein's monster, Angelica ended up just being a weirdo (although I guess those two aren't mutually exclusive). Instead of intelligence she has courage and assertiveness, and is generally the type to rush into things without thinking too much about them. She's very random and quirky, and shifts gears rather easily, due to a short attention span. However, she does adapt well to change, so she makes a good test server where things would change a lot. She and Triela would probably make a good manzai duo.

Design: Angelica ended up turning out dark purple, since purple can be pretty quirky. She holds herself in high standard, so purple and gold (as more or less "royal" colors) also fit. With her spontaneous nature, she has a lopsided clothing design, but it all seems to balance out in the end (in my opinion). Her weapon of choice is dual-wield handguns, which are light but effective. I didn't want something too grotesque to represent a part of our site, so I just went for "eccentric" as a simpler approach.

|
Triela & Chibi-version

Henrietta

|
Angelica & Chibi-version
(Note: A bit hard to see, but she has four arms, two of which in a straitjacket)

And that's it. Take your time and choose your favourites. Always remember, democracy only works when you make use of your right to vote~ !
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 09:03:22 PM by Sakanamoto-san »

Mеа

• catnapping
Re: ~*~ Server-tan Contest! ~*~ VOTE NOW!
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
Is the staff going to choose the character/personality of the designed characters?
If not, then do we have to agree with the personality that the creator imagined their design to be based on?
For example, if I like the design of #24, but with the personality of #30?

If the staff is going to choose, then I guess you won't have to take so many things in consideration when counting the votes.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2011, 05:19:41 PM »
Ah fantastic, this is just amazing, we get to vote!

Oh for the count, I didn't read on whether one can vote for themselves, so better write that in as a big NO. (otherwise it won't be very interesting, though I am certain none of us would do that but just in case)

For my votes:
Triela: #11
For Triela, I am stuck on the vote of 14 , 6, 12, and 11. I know well who did 11 and wanted to give others a chance, as a whole, the design for 6 is especially enticing to me, but 14 appealed to my inner vision of a female Lu Bu and 12 is kinda manly. They all have a specific design, but when I think about how another artist may interpret the character and the level of interest in showcasing the three very different server-tans, the mascot that came first to mind representing Triela is definitely 11, or 6. Further thought brought me a few insights on 6 and I was torn on whether to approach a mascot who looks kinda like a mix of Kasen and Mei Ling imo, so I choose 11 for sheer optimistic originality and because it is the one and only skin suit style as I myself perceived for my entry, which I find kinda appealing. (though it was for Henrietta instead).

Henrietta: #13
I am torn between 13 and 8, both are dramatically good designs that introduce a moe feel to the wacky Henrietta, both have a design that inherently says goofball all over, and both are a particular appealing style that is both Zun and girlish. 8 turned out a bit more brutish but her style which is shared with the other two characters make her a bit more mundane a choice, perhaps if she were more outstanding than the other two (and especially 8's Angelica beside her) it would have won the better of my votes. Beautiful however both are, and I won't hesitate to draw them if I were given a choice. 13 is plenty Cirno-ish somehow, and that sorta won an extra bit of vote in my mind.

Angelica: #8
Hands down the most difficult to decide, Angelica is a solid contender through and through between 8, 13, 2, 18 in that order.
8 was especially appealing with those things sticking outta her head, it is a moe-appeal that I find in ZUN art, and 13 has that cute suspicious loli but not much experiment going on unlike 8. 2 is very close but yet again, no experimentation going on, maybe it is inside, but it is much more gothic than intended and it appeals to my inner gothic fan. It is beautiful but no cookie, it is almost ZUN's own special loli drawing style but I can't help but choose 8 over this. 18 somehow reminds me of Saint's Row the game, I was thinking about 'social experiments' more than science lab style, but this is a consolation prize imo for design if simply because it has not much moe... but the color scheme is cute, different shades of purple definitely says something exceptional.

All things consider, you guys all did very well, for the ones I did not choose, it is simply a matter of choice. Don't get upset~ne? Fantastic works and entries from everyone and I for one is very happy at how everyone tried their best!

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2011, 05:40:26 PM »
Is the staff going to choose the character/personality of the designed characters?
If not, then do we have to agree with the personality that the creator imagined their design to be based on?
For example, if I like the design of #24, but with the personality of #30?
Honestly, I don't think we are going to define the personalities any further than what was already stated in the OP for the contest:

Here are the character-types that should be conveyed in your designs:
-Triela, as the forum's main server, is a "heavy lifter"-type
-Henrietta, as the game-server, is a "goofball"-type
-Angelica, as the test server, is "TSO's mad science experiment"

There aren't really any plans yet to use the characters in a way that would require them to have a fully defined personality. And even then, I'd find it much more interesting if they developed their personalities over time when they are used :3

Oh for the count, I didn't read on whether one can vote for themselves, so better write that in as a big NO. (otherwise it won't be very interesting, though I am certain none of us would do that but just in case)
Oh, good point. I forgot that.

All things consider, you guys all did very well, for the ones I did not choose, it is simply a matter of choice. Don't get upset~ne? Fantastic works and entries from everyone and I for one is very happy at how everyone tried their best!
Seconded. We have to choose a winner because, well, that's how contests work, but that doesn't mean that works that don't win are "bad"  :D

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »
First of all, well down to everyone who drew for this; you all did such a good job! So many good pictures! It really is hard to pick, but I think I've got there.

First up - Triela!
              This was the 2nd one I judged; it was pretty difficult. My image of Triela was bordering between the aura of coolness and the aura of the strict sensei. In my case, this came down to #6 vs #8. Looking back, I thought #6 was going to take it; but I've got to hand it to #8, glasses work with the right clothes and seriousness. In the end, whilst the boots weren't exactly needed (in my opinion), Entry 8 gets my Best Triela vote.

Roll on our second character - Henrietta!
               At first, I thought judging this was going to be pretty easy. It turns out, that some of you had similar ideas to how she would be; and I got lost picking out which ones stood out more. Entry #6, again, brought up a pretty nice one, and for a while, it was the one I was leaning towards the most. Unfortunately, #6 was beaten yet again; this time, to #13. Prepared for accessories with bags (with a possible amount of endless space inside?) and that playful aura, Entry 13 gets my Best Henrietta vote.

And now, for the final round - Angelica!
               This is a very, VERY difficult one to decide on. So much so, that even after narrowing it down the first time, I still couldn't shake any of the big contenders off my list; referring back to original posts to see if anything else was added with the pictures and even double checking the OP to see if anything had been said about Angelica for me to work on. Bashing my head several times over, and straining my eyes (and imagination) on the finer details of each representation, it came down to three. #11 vs #13 vs #17. And it probably would have stayed that way had I not thought that, dress wise, 11 & 13 were almost the same. Because of the concept of 'added options' on #11, #13 missed the chance at getting a double vote. But #17 keeps punching my mind; telling me that the design is too amazing to just say no. Between the 'prototype option orbs' of #11, with the whole white dressed lolita appearence, and #17, who is indeed an EXACT representation of the maniacal experiments of TSO, it's FAR too difficult to decide on a clear winner. In fact, I have now decided... Entry 11 gets the Best Angelica vote at last.

That's it for now. It's going to take me a little while longer to decide on an Angelica winner, but I assure you it'll be done before the deadline hits. Again, good job to everyone who entered. <3

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2011, 08:37:34 PM »
dress wise, 11 & 13 were almost the same.

I'm sorry. ;_;

Anyways, here are my votes.

Triela- Entry 8 - I think that Triela is the sort of person that is mature, responsible and dependable, since she is the main server after all. Entry 8's seemed to show that with her facial expression and pose, too. I also liked the fact that she looked like an adult in the entry, which makes her look like a mature person indeed.

Henrietta - Entry 17 - It was either entry 5 or 17, so I decided to go with 17. I liked how Entry 5 showed Henrietta as a playful girl with that cheerful expression and what not, and it's very cute how she has play blocks or something floating around her. What really seemed to catch my attention about Entry 17 was that the costume was made out holograms (I think?) And could change. (To fit the type of game, I would presume.)

Angelica - Entry 11 - What I liked most about this entry is that Angelica was drawn with options. I guess you could say they are the new or potential features of the site? Her pale or almost white skin and the dress along with those highlights of red in her color scheme gives off some kind of "eerie aura" about her. One thing I've noticed about the entries for Angelica is that Angelica is portrayed with bandages since I guess Experiment > Injuries > Bandages? (But I don't really like to think in that case... in my opinion. :V)

So, uh, good luck to everyone who entered and good job for participating!
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Ace the Fighter

• fighting master
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2011, 10:10:25 PM »
here's my vote:

Best Triela: # 12
Best Henrietta: # 9
Best Angelica: # 9 as well

:wat:

7TC7

• In best company
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2011, 10:29:50 PM »
Triela - #8
Looks somewhat like a breed of Meira and Rikako to me, which I like... a lot!

Henrietta - #5
It's a simple design but the floating objects seem fitting~

Angelica - #2
Close call with number 8, but it in the end I prefer the screws to the miko outfit!
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

Nicole Artist

• Eat egg
  • egg egg egg egg
    • Tumblr
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2011, 10:39:47 PM »
Well, here's my voting.
Triela: Im going to be fully honest, I didn't like much of any of these. So instead I'm picking the one I find the most suited, origonal, and has a nice flow to it, 8.
Henrietta:  ffffff 13 all the way. I love the expression,  origonality, design, dose bags, its just so nice.
Angelica: This is where I want to vote for multiples.  My faves of these are 2, 8 and 11, but Im mostly tied between 2 and 11. I love the sphere things on 11, the dress, just love, and I love the hair, expression, and item design on 2.  In the end, Im going with 11.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2011, 11:39:19 PM »
Triela = Entry #3
- Has a vibe of Salvatore the Great/Magnificent, which speaks for itself when considering what Triela does. Those who've played Disgaea 3 will know what I mean here.

Henrietta = Entry #4
- Drill hair~

Angelica = Entry #8
- I'm not entriely sure why, but I like this design for Angelica. Color me shallow but, the eye patch and the jumper cables in the hair (least, I think those are jumper cables) really drew me in.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2011, 11:54:14 PM »
Best Triela: #14
Best Henrietta: #12
Best Angelica: #17

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2011, 12:01:28 AM »
Triela = Entry #3

First: i c wut u did thar

Second: It's good all around, being original and easy on the eyes (and I don't mean the quality). It has actual character, gasp.

Henrietta = None

None of them. I don't...particularly like any of them. If #3 was...a little more accurate to the "description," I would happily give my vote for the same reasons I give Triela. It stands the fuck out. But it's not, so it doesn't quite seem appropriate.

Angelica = #7

Original, Fitting, and fun to think about, rather than just being "HERP DERP CRAZY GIRL" we get a MONSTER. Which is INTERESTING. And unique, to boot.

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
think of Zun-Art

My votes are for number 9. The most Zun arto

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2011, 01:53:14 AM »
Triela: #7
Very unique hair and small, stout build gives her an instantly recognizable appearance despite the lack of embellishment on her outfit, perfect for a mascot. Her ಠ_ಠ expression is what sold it for me.
Other favorites: #3 for air of authority, #6 because a martial artist is a good way to approach a strong, reliable girl without HUGE GUTS.

Henrietta: #2
Had some trouble here because I actually like my own the most :V Not a lot of them really shout "I PLAY GAMES!" I eventually settled on #2 for the same reasons as my Triela choice, unique shape due to FUCK YEAH REVERSE DRILLS. Also, her excitable nature promotes fun. It bugs me a bit that her directional pad hairpiece implies a connection to console gaming rather than the PC games she's actually involved with, but oh well.
Other favorites: #5 for loose and casual appearance, #12 for obvious PC gaming association, and oddly I think #10 could be decent if expanded upon.

Angelica: #2
Fuckin waifu material right there. Test subject moe to the extreme (obviously, I referenced it for a reason)! Again, clean design and unique shape are the most important attributes of a good mascot.
Other favorites: #11 for neat futuristic design, #12 if she was little less scrappy looking.

Sets #9, #13, and #18 get good character design awards from me, but I don't think they meet the given specifications.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
Choosing character designs? I?m in.

Triela - Interpreting ?heavy lifter? as ?hard worker?, my vote goes to #8. Her design is interesting without being gaudy, and she comes across well as a dependable, responsible, mature, no nonsense, get-the-job-done type, as befitting the main server. Also I dig the miko outfit. Pre-post edit: Oh what the hell that SMF thing absolutely seals it.

Actually, it took a lot of willpower to stop myself automatically voting #8 across the board. The three go beautifully together, though they're excellent individually as well.

Henrietta - Easiest one to narrow down, with #5, #8 and #13 being the finalists. All capture the childish gamer type I had in mind, without seeming as if they'd be completely insufferable. Tough as it was to eliminate two of them, there's something Cirno'ish about #13 that I find slightly off-putting (diecirnodiecirnodiecirno), and #5 comes across more as a calculating trickster than a goofball. #8 combines a delightful childish exuberance with a couple of adorable and fitting accessories. And, well, dat miko outfit. She wins.

Angelica - Probably the toughest decision of the three. Trying to choose between #2, #8 and #11 left me with an expression not unlike #8's. In the end I'm casting my vote for comparatively weak and shallow reasons, namely the best head accessories I've seen for a while, the lobotomised facial expression (I find this appealing for some twisted reason, plus if your humanoid science experiment has any other kind of expression you are doing it wrong), eyepatch moe, and the fact that I just could not line my first two choices up in my mind and not have the third miko standing next to them. #8 again.

Yeah, so in conclusion I am obviously #8's alt. Also there were a bunch of designs up there that I thought were great but didn't feel suited the server they were entered as. Won't list them all, but #11's Triela and #17's Henrietta are the standouts. And somehow I forgot to mention #6's Triela anywhere despite liking her, so I'll do it here.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2011, 12:20:35 AM »
Triela - 6
Straightforward and plausible.

Not voting for Henrietta - People seemed to have some positive response to my entry, so I want to give it a chance.

Angelica - 2
I liked 9 as well, but it looked a little more medical than it was sciencey. There were some other good ones, too.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2011, 01:46:19 AM »
Even though I really like AF-17's artwork, the designs don't especially fit the personalities encouraged in the OP. Sorry!

Triela: #14
It's hard to make an attractive and interesting "heavy lifter," so this wasn't difficult to narrow down, unfortunately. I like #2, #12, and #15 for varying reasons, but the practical outfit and banhammer accessory fit best.

Henrietta: #9
This was a bit tougher, since there's a lot of ways to make a "goofball." So I had pretty high standards for them looking actually goofy or playful: While there are a lot of attractive plain designs, but #5, #9, and #15 have the most colorful and atypical ones - with #9 going about the right amount over the top.

Angelica: #15
There's a lot of directions to go with "mad science experiment." A lot of designs seemed to focus on making Angelica the scientist, which I don't think was the intent... but it's tough to tell how far to go with Angelica's strangeness and/or apparent abuse. I really like the idea of #7's caged uncertainty bit, but it's tough to work with for the future. #14 is crazy and interesting, but #15 looks most like a calm experiment 'victim.'
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Athrel

• v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
  • v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2011, 03:04:57 AM »
Best Triella: #6

Best Henrietta: #5

Best Angelica: #11

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2011, 09:59:06 AM »
Triela:
Difficult choice, but overall I like #8 the best. Also looks like a determined and responsible working force to me.

Henrietta:
Hmm, very difficult. I am torn between 2 and 5. Given their facial expressions, 2 looks potentially annoying and 5 like a jerk.
...you know what?
[22:04] <Iryan> @choose 2 or 5
[22:04] <%Keine-tan> Iryan: I choose...2! ^_^V
Well, you heard the girl, #2!

Angelica:

The only easy choice for me. Come one people, it is an unknown monstrosity caged into a computer case, how can you not love it?!  :3
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."