Author Topic: ~*~ Server-tan Contest! ~*~ VOTE OVER!  (Read 63482 times)

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
~*~ Server-tan Contest! ~*~ VOTE OVER!
« on: June 11, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »

~Triela, Henrietta, Angelica - Design the mascots of MotK~

Hello and welcome everyone, this is Sakana, presenting you with the chance to greatly help out the community and the forum as a whole:
By designing characters that represent the servers MotK runs, so that they can serve as our official mascots in various ways.

Let's start from the beginning:
Currently TSO manages three servers that host the services we have around MotK here: "Triela", on which the forum itself is located, "Henrietta", which houses the Battlenet and other game-related stuff, and "Angelica", the test server. A while ago the idea came up to gave those three servers personas and characters that could serve as mascots, called server-tans (in reference to the famous OS-tans).
They will be there to show new people around the forum and to illustrate the rules, they will show up in banners, and much much more!

And this is where you come in, masters of pen and pencil, brush and tablet. Bring the server-tans to live with your ideas and designs!

~The task~
Design the three server-tans Triela, Henrietta and Angelica. There are some small conditions as to their characters, but mostly you are completely free with your ideas.
All three should have some features that make them easily recognizable. This is important if we want to use simplified versions of the characters for example.
For this contest you can draw them in any kind of style you like, be it detailed colored artwork or just simplified monochrome chibi-characters.

Here are the character-types that should be conveyed in your designs:
-Triela, as the forum's main server, is a "heavy lifter"-type
-Henrietta, as the game-server, is a "goofball"-type
-Angelica, as the test server, is "TSO's mad science experiment"

PS: The names are based on Gunslinger Girl, but don't be lazy and use those for your designs, that won't count~

~How to submit an entry~
You submit your entries by posting them here in the thread or, if for some reason you don't want to do that, by sending them to me via PM.
You can submit as many entries as you like, if you want to revise designs or enter with several designs for example.

~Until when to submit~
The deadline for this contest is one month + 2 weeks extension until Sunday, the 24th of July

Entries have been closed, please don't submit anything more.

And that's it. The stage is open for you to show us your creativity and present us with your ideas. Have fun drawing and good luck~

If there are any questions, feel free to ask here, in PM, or find me in #scarlet-library on IRC.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 12:20:17 PM by Sakanamoto-san »

Hiirana-chan

• Hurp Derpington.
  • Myonmyonmyon~
Re: ~*~ Server-tan Contest! Design the official Mascots of MotK! ~*~
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 01:32:27 AM »
from left to right: Triela, Angelica, Henrietta
It's just an edit of a chibi pic I found because I was lazy.
Everything but the poses were done by me.
I'd like to think of myself as an artist.
www.hiirana-chan.deviantart.com

:U

pineyappled

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 03:09:07 AM »
I'll do this later. Sounds fun!

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:26:59 PM »
YOU dare challenge moi to do this?
Je suis on this, and I shall make it happen. (say... in a month)
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 06:44:56 PM »
Is there going to be a winner for each server-tan design or just one winner?

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 07:14:16 PM »
Is there going to be a winner for each server-tan design or just one winner?
That's something that didn't even cross my mind yet, but I like the idea of choosing winners for each of the characters. It's entirely possible that a person manages an awesome design for one of the server-tans, but someone else has a better design for another one, so in such a case we could choose both as respective winners.

That would also mean that people can enter with designs for one or two charas, though I suspect if you manage that much the third shouldn't be a problem either  ;)

Halca

• Kawaii Bastard
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 01:57:49 AM »
From left to right: Triela, Henrietta, and Angelica
I couldn't find to post this as an attachment :/
http://www.mangabullet.com/galleryimg/2011/06/14/Halca-on-14-06-11-at-04-53-03_l.png

<Naut> Please thumbnail images over 640x480 and/or greater than 150kb.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 02:18:06 AM by Naut »

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 04:10:28 AM »
Attachments can be done by clicking on the "Attachments and Other options" button below the main message window when you write a post  :)

Nicole Artist

• Eat egg
  • egg egg egg egg
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 07:10:53 PM »
Guess whos going to enter this. =D

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »
Kawaii desu~!

okay they aren't.

So I thought Henrietta should be playful right

and then I got the wrong idea

Heavy lifters are apparently Umpa Lumpa's.

Angelica is in the box. Shhh. you'll wake her! ...wai- FFF

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 09:25:10 PM »
And here's my entry~

Some might call these design choices... peculiar.

Probably going to color it too, but first I need to find my coloring set...

Edit: Guess I should explain a little bit about my design choices. Halca inspired me to give each of the characters a yin-yang orb. That way you can see Triela, Henrietta and Angelica are all part of the same set and related to MotK. The personalities I describe are just what I myself had in mind. They can be changed by anyone for convenience.

Triela: Supposedly a heavy lifter, I gave Triela an army officer outfit to show off her strength. Being the main forum server is a great responsibility, so she has a mature body and serious personality. The mature body also represents strength again. The army officer outfit and serious personality are also befitting of MotK's tight security and strict rules. Has a motherly side however, especially towards her two sisters.

Henrietta: I made her a mean, manipulative little shit like (Fanon) Tewi, what with Tewi being Pesco's favorite character and Pesco being the one who calls the shots around most of the game areas. Henrietta is wearing a classic mafia gangster outfit because the most popular game in RPG is mafia. She has playing card symbols on her suit: a Heart and Diamond button on her vest and a Spade and Clover card on her hat. The cigar matches with the mafia gangster attire and attitude. Henrietta often manipulates others and does shady business just to get a good laugh or two.

Angelica: She's supposedly TSO's mad science experiment, so I made her a biological mash-up of monster parts. She has reptile, insect and fish parts on a humanoid body. Angelica doesn't actually have hair. Those are just really thick tentacles growing from her head. Her body is filled with all kinds of hidden biological weapons, most of which she doesn't even know about (so she's just as surprised as you when she sneezes corrosive acid in your face). While powerful, her body is also very clumsy and inconveniently designed (Angelica often trips over either her insect leg or her long tentacle arms). Her odd body doesn't leave many options for clothing open, so Angelica just wears a plain, long dress that often gets tattered as a result of her biological functions. She isn't mentally unstable as her appearance would suggests, but she has zero social skills.

Edit #2: And here's the colored version! I'm rather proud of how it turned out now. :)
There's some symbolism in the colors now too:
- Triela's suit has the same colors as MotK's old layout (black, grey and orange).
- Triela's has one white and one black eye, symbolizing the yin yang orb.
- Triela's medal is supposed to be a kaleidoscope with rainbow colors. Doesn't really look much like one though. :derp:
- Henrietta has one visible red eye and one hidden black eye behind her hair, symbolizing playing cards.
- Henrietta's suit also has the same colors as playing cards.
- Angelica has one sky blue eye and one monstrous red/yellow eye, to show the contrast between her humanoid parts and monster parts (her tentacle hair is supposed to be a gradient of green to blue by the way. My scanner made it look like it's yellow to blue...)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 03:30:08 PM by OkashiiKisei »

Chen

• Ruined my own appeal by being a dumbass
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 09:40:12 PM »

Link to image
It's super kawaii! DESU  :V
 :smokedcheese:

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 11:07:35 PM »
Some might call these design choices... peculiar.

Yes, but some might say mine looks like Flandre Panty on top of a fridge microwave safe being carried by an umpa lumpa....kappa?

Just some might say

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 06:56:30 AM »
Keep them coming~

Seeing some interesting ideas in there already (Oh god those Angelicas) :V

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 07:27:05 PM »
It's quick! It's messy! It's my entry!

I had a seriously hard time thinking of designs. In the end, I just drew them off the top of my head. >_>

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 08:25:05 PM »
Might as well chip in and post my LOL ANATOMY entry for everyone to laugh at. Because that's how Koakkuri rolls, baby.

Also, I spilled water on poor Angelica. Luckily it doesn't really show anymore.  :ohdear:

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/Koakoa/Crappy%20art%20a%20la%20moi/Howdoiproportions.jpg

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 03:45:00 AM »
Alright, here's my entry.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4104/servertans.jpg

Since we are shrinemaiden.org, I decided to make them all mikos! Too lazy to color right now but the uniform would likely be white with orange hakamas.

Triela is lean and fit, with her sleeves rolled up and ready for work! Because TSO takes security at MotK seriously, she is equipped with safety gear such as steel-toed boots! One should always draw her ponytail to the left regardless of facing, as this causes her hair+earring to spell "SMF".

Henrietta is wearing a headset, appropriate for online gaming, and is carrying a bat, which is both a sporting implement and a fine weapon. This combination naturally harkens to the Scout, and I believe TF2 was the first game MotK had a dedicated server for (although Triela was actually the one hosting it).

Angelica is...Frankenstein, pretty much. (Credit to Halca as I borrowed a few of the design elements that I liked about his entry.) I imagine the jumper cables run down to some power source on her back (a car battery, perhaps?). Though she looks like she's tripping out, she's quite mellow. Who knows what she has up her sleeves, could be tentacles, robot arms, pretty much whatever the artist feels like :V

Nicole Artist

• Eat egg
  • egg egg egg egg
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 01:50:43 AM »
My first entry (cause I might enter more)
For these pictures, I was mimicking Zun's style of art, but inked it and colored it my way. But still, the lineart...

(click the pictures! =D)

Triela

For her design, I went with a traditional colors Chinese look, because I can. What shes carrying is.....er....for you to figure out! The eyes are actulay a very dark red if its hard to tell. Though with her gloves...if you like the design but not those I don't mind them being differently colored or removed. I can easeally draw these guys again. I find her outfit though more appealing as some sort of main character, perfect for a main server! =D

Henrietta

I know it might be hard to tell, but shes actulay trying to mimic a dinosaur. Her green outfit, her long sleeves with white triangles at the ends to look like claws. I should draw her acting as a dinosaur. XD A goofball character in my mind meant a few things, bows, frills, young, shapes, open mouth smile. Idk why. But well, she likes being a goofball and acting like a dinosaur! (her hair is actulay in 2 ponytails behindish her under her hat)

Angelica

Ok, this ones a little weird. Shes in a coat, I guess a fancy hospital coat dress thing when your a patient. Yet shes like...a ....nurse? That or positive and negative. XD The tenticule things were fun to color. And her eye is actulay more aqua color. (my scanner failed with her.) And her eye is more vivid. She has a test tube tied to her chest, and shes kinda just floating there. (she floats, not walks) I think her face looks more zun style out of the three. ^_^

Hope ya like my enteries. You can pick one or two or all or whatever. If I can Ill be drawing more. =D

Tired/Warm

• Apostatical Verdant Eudaemonaic
  • This is my danmaku.
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 11:30:41 PM »
I doubt this qualifies as an official entry, but~

Triela was once just an ordinary girl who lived in the city of Variablenull. One day, however it was revealed she was one of a long line of priestesses who had to use their awesome powers to guide the way for the millions of ghosts and spirits who passed through Variablenull. She wasn't very confident in her strength - how could anyone depend on her? So, she decided she would become someone worthy of protecting the city she loved! After months, perhaps years of training, Triela is a female amazon who stands at roughly 7'4/224 cm. Her body ripples with muscle and she is a master of several kinds of fighting arts.

In addition, she possess great spiritual power, having replaced her naturally brown left eye with a certain orb that confers upon her the power of farsight - after some time, it loses power and must be recharged, leading to a brief period of time where no spirits can cross through Variablenull. Her long black hair is stringy and ragged, hanging down to her waist; if you bring about her wrath, it shall be the last thing you see as it dances from the kickback of one megaton punch. She favors an orange and yellow safety vest thrown over the white robes of her station; they obscure her powerful frame so that others misjudge her as just the adorable (but strangely tall) miko with the peaceful smile.

-

Henrietta was a stray child who used to rob travelers like a bandit before Triela took her under her wing. Henrietta wears clothes made of scraps she has accumulated from her many 'raids'; she's also picked up a nasty smoking habit from playing competitive Starcraft. Hidden under her patchwork armor is a sword that shows her mastery of Crawl and an erectable dispenser in case her friends suddenly come under attack. Despite her crafty nature and multiple weapons and tools, however - Henrietta is a child at heart and likes to play pranks and goof around, occasionally swapping scores or running away from commitments at the last minute.

She is much shorter than Triela, standing at 5'1/155 cm. Her dyed orange hair hangs out in two massive pigtails that she likes to hide weapons she 'scavenges' in. Despite her cute appearance, she possesses a gravelly voice from her chain-smoking habit. Her eyes are a playful green that match the pins that line her makeshift armor/clothes, and she usually wears the lucky scarf that is actually a fragment of Triela's robe - the first gift she was ever given by another person. Henrietta may not be very serious, but she likes making people happy - and if she can do that, she's happy.

-

Finally, there is Angelica. Angelica was once a normal lady - but after it was decided that someone would need to be tested on for the good of Variablenull, Angelica rallied for the task. The exposure to endless amounts of Science! has made her slightly crazy - although she was once an ordinary salesclerk, she now looks almost entirely like a female Doc Brown from that one movie with the DeLorean. She is completely immune to lightning damage and errors in coding, but takes double damage from random acts of kindness. She also drinks regularly, and always has a pocket full of slightly mummified gummy worms.

She usually wears a white or brown labcoat, and her frizzled hair - which has turned white from stress - hangs out in every direction. Despite the slightly menacing looks she usually wears from her work, she's actually quite kind and caring, and only wants to make things work better. Of course, her idea of 'work' and 'better' are sometimes a little strange... Her eyes are a solid grey, which only adds to her unnatural appearance. In combat, she can unhinge her back and reveal several blade-attachments that she modified into her body as natural armaments - as well as transform into a giant robot that Henrietta pilots through the use of video game skills.

-

Fwahahah! I may not have the power of art(yet) but this is my strike! Can you feel it?

Yeah, these totally don't count because of that, do they..?

:derp:

Awesome sig courtesy of Squawkers23! Thanks!

Oh, you're looking for words? My writing is here.
Do you remember me? I also remember you - and though we haven't met in so many days, I still know you and love your memories. If you stumbled upon this - good luck, in whatever you might do.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 06:25:31 PM »
Three more days to go people. If someone is still working on an idea and needs some extension-time, feel free to say so :3

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 04:12:47 AM »
Just FYI if you have the nerve to have an Artist++++++ tag and not enter this contest I will personally find and kill you :colbert:

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 04:26:32 AM »
Just FYI if you have the nerve to have an Artist++++++ tag and not enter this contest I will personally find and kill you :colbert:

Well that seems to be all of them just by looking at this thread.

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 04:59:09 AM »
Well that seems to be all of them just by looking at this thread.

You might want to read this:

You submit your entries by posting them here in the thread or, if for some reason you don't want to do that, by sending them to me via PM.

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 05:06:48 AM »
I repeat

just by looking at this thread.

I really hate it when people do that.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 05:39:33 AM »
Noone sent anything via PM so far (not exclusively, the one PM I got was also posted here ;) ), and I don't think anyone will, so all you see in this thread so far is all we have yet ^^

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 05:50:28 AM »
I have DotS'd too much and procrastinated too much too, let's see if my "last minute resort"-fu will yield anything.. (most of the times it doesn't, though :p)

My coloring skills (read: lack of them) could be a problem too..
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Tired/Warm

• Apostatical Verdant Eudaemonaic
  • This is my danmaku.
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2011, 08:54:59 AM »
Never give up! Trust your instincts!... But seriously, last-minute surges of energy are the best kind of inspiration! That's the only way I do things, except sometimes I fool myself into thinking that last-day = right now. But go, go, go! I'll cheer for you! More entries for the entry beast!  :)

Awesome sig courtesy of Squawkers23! Thanks!

Oh, you're looking for words? My writing is here.
Do you remember me? I also remember you - and though we haven't met in so many days, I still know you and love your memories. If you stumbled upon this - good luck, in whatever you might do.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 04:59:19 PM »
Last-minute moron here too, I dunno if I'll finish this
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 05:18:36 PM »
As a reminder again: If you guys are still working on your stuff, it's easy to extend the deadline by a week or two ^^
Just post here if you are planning to maybe enter something so I know there is still interest, and you shall get the time to finish it.