Author Topic: about extra bosses (warning: contains POWERLEVELS)  (Read 2429 times)

_cf

• playing with training wheels
  • "Touhou" is japanese for "silly hats only"
    • my Pixiv
about extra bosses (warning: contains POWERLEVELS)
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:59:56 PM »
So, I was thinking about the windows games' extra bosses line-up. They all manage to look suitably extra, and bossy, with a couple of exceptions:

1) Flandre: perfect extra boss material. Not only vampires are top-of-the-food-chain in Gensokyo already, but Flan is a vampire with the special power to destroy everything. So yeah, she belongs here.
2) Ran: a Nine tailed Fox that's also a Shikigami (Shikigami being described as a "status effect" in Gensokyo, so in effect a nine-tails plus), she's as extra as a boss can get.
3) Mokou: Ok, a human. But what a human. Mokou is, for the lack of better terms, hardcore. In Cage in Lunatic Runagate (or whatever the light novel parts of the moon-saga is called) Mokou said she spent 300 years killing any human OR youkai unlucky enough to cross her path. Girl clearly ate a Phoenix, or at least does a pretty good impression of being one. So, extra.
4) Suwako: An elder, elder goddess. Enough said.
5) Koishi: My main beef with the extra line-up. So, Koishi is a satori that sealed her eye allowing her to exist undetected if she so wants. Is it just me or this entry is not like the others, so far? What bugs me about Koishi's extraness is that so far, everybody seems to be be at about their perceived powerlevels (I TOLD YOU ABOUT THE POWELEVELS DOG), OR taking it easy (sake not even dropping, etc).
6) Nue: Well, secondary beef, but given that a nue is supposed to be a hardcore beast, I can at least understand it.

As for the discussion I expect in this thread, well, how would you "justify" Koishi godly danmaku abilities? I know the actual answer already:
Spoiler:
("it's just a game, LOL. Relax and drink a beer")
but what I'm interested here are the "in-universe" causes.

Oh, and greetings, btw. This was my first post in these forums.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
Re: about extra bosses (warning: contains POWERLEVELS)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 10:19:07 PM »
1. No power level discussions. Period. This means talking about how X could totally beat Y in a fight, or that Z's powers are totally more powerful than A's, and similar pointless bickering that basically equates a peen measuring contest between different Touhou characters. Such discussions will be deleted, and offenders might be probated or banned.

Read the stickies.