Author Topic: Touhou arranged music: sharing favorites, discussion  (Read 8074 times)

Touhou arranged music: sharing favorites, discussion
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:01:55 AM »
How about a restart?

From the previous thread:
"Want to let the world know your favorite remix artists? Think a certain song/circle is underappreciated? Looking for that person who appreciates Sepette Remix #37 as much as you do? Well here ya go! Just remember no download links, buy the albums, etc."

I think that mostly nails it as a preface.  So... let's share!

Here's my favorite Touhou arranger, hands down.  p sure Nereid gets credit for this find.

spctrm, or the one-man circle known as fromadistance.

A few samples:
--Guest work (prior to having his own circle)--
calling (Sanae, MoF)
sigh (Parsee, SA)
Garden (stage 6, IN)
Aureole (stage 6, SA)
--First album--
a field of clouds (stage 5, MoF)
eureka (staff roll, IN)
--Second album--
farce (stage 5, IN)
worshipper (Tewi, PoFV)

He also has FREE MUSIC on the "web release" subsection of the "works" section of his website.  Not Touhou; just good tunes.

Well, what say you?  Uncovered any good circles/albums recently?  Rediscovered a timeless favorite?

I look forward to watching your feeble attempts to come up with anything that remotely compares to spctrm!

I mean... let's talk music!

edit: fixed broken links
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:15:33 AM by K.B. »
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

Re: Touhou arranged music: sharing favorites, discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:38:16 AM »
Obligatory Floating Cloud as always.

月夜に歌う is a very nice arrange that uses both Wriggle's and Mystia's theme.  They also had a wonderful Haigoku Lullaby arrange in the same album (probably one of my favorites next to Kiritansu/Kyoutansu's delusion story).

Edit: Forgot to mention how godly spctrm is and all that jazz.  :v
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:40:01 AM by Commissar Lord ボガス »

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:10:07 AM »
Dawwwww
Oh yes. Spctrm.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 12:27:22 PM »
hahaha... Bio, that's Koji Kondo-esquely adorable.  I wasn't going to get that album, but now that I've heard that I think I must.

minimum electric design is my new favorite thing.  If you haven't heard them before (if you are like I was not two weeks ago), I highly encourage you to check them out.  They're eclectic.  Rather than toiling over descriptors, I encourage you to listen, instead.  Here are some of my favorites.

the cosmic recognition (first three tracks)
the eternal (IN Extra; ...emotive)
Locked Girl's BrandNew Rockets (Patchy's theme; post-rock/shoegaze-ish)
Ghost in the Noise ~feat.mineko (Phantom Ensemble; pop-rock)

幻想郷 Electronic Shoegazer (first and fifth tracks)
in to my depressed brain (Yuuka's PoFV theme; see:title)
Electro-Spective KYOTO (StB Fourth Photo; electronic rock, passive-awesomeness)

Personal note: Flower Land is top-ten for me.  There has never been a take on Flower Land as good as theirs.  Or as awful as theirs.

Side note: they have a nasty habit of releasing albums with the majority of the tracks being remixes of their prior efforts (and usually being slightly worse than their original takes at that [imo]), but they have three chiefly original albums: 幻想郷 Electronic Shoegazer, sanae telegraph, and the cosmic recognition.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 01:17:08 PM by K.B. »
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm

Shadow

• Forever waiting for tomorrow
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 03:34:33 AM »
Hello. I don't know if this is the right thread to ask, but I'll go ahead and try anyway.

I've been looking for a specific arrange of what I *THINK* it is a remix of Catastrophe in Bhava-agra ~ Wonderful Heaven (another candidate is obviously Bhava-agra as Seen Through a Child's Mind), with no avail. I'm not even sure about the original track as it could be another music entirely, or not even from Touhou. THIS is the video in which said track plays, from 0:02 to 0:15. Help in finding the specific track (aka. Circle/Track Name) will be greatly appreciated as I've been searching for it for around one year x_x

Thanks in advance~

EDIT: Since I have less than 10 posts, I might as well express my deepest feelings of gratitude to Koakkuri here, who found the source and the name of said track. Thank you very much for spending your time in asking around for this track; I was nearly going to give up.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:01:20 AM by Shadow »

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 06:31:49 PM »
Here is one of my videos, it is Windows 3.1 plays Bad Apple (I suppose this is Touhou related)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJp3ro4rSvM

And for those of you who think i signed up just for this i did not, look at my registered date!
Cirno the Ice Fairy~

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 08:13:37 AM »
Shadow: no idea.

New minami album is hot.  Rock/metal.  IOSYS - Variable Spellcaster: wiki info.

Favorite is Satori Eyes (inb4 Bogus with Starlight Illumination is freakin' sweet too).  Not a fan of Red Dreamer but dig everything else.

Youtubes:
1 - Red Dreamer (IN stage 4 Uncanny boss, 少女綺想曲 ~ Dream Battle)
2 - End of the Underground (SA extra stage, ラストリモート [Last Remote])
3 - Satori Eyes (SA stage 4 boss, 少女さとり ~ 3rd eye)
4 - Captain Swing Rock (UFO stage 4 boss, キャプテン・ムラサ [Captain Murasa])
5 - Starlight Illumination (FW stage 3 boss, 妖精大戦争 ~ Fairy Wars)
6 - Nighttime Cruising (FW extra boss, メイガスナイト [Magus Night])
7 - Flame of Synchronicity (UFO stage 6, 法界の火 [Fires of Hokkai])

Album's probably old news to just about everyone into Touhou rock, but I had written off IOSYS in the rock/metal department (read: altogether) until Bogus informed me about a certain man named minami.  I'd listen to his previous two albums to catch up... if I could take this one off of repeat.

Palewolf

• バカ狼ですよ
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 11:02:24 AM »
A pretty hilarious and cute piano arrange of Nuclear Fusion i just found. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WWWtgBj5sI&feature=related

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 07:24:21 PM »
Hmm I just heard a good remix of Flan's theme, and I'm thinking I'll like the entire band/circle quite a bit.
I THINK the circle name is " 激戦アレンジ" Please tell me if otherwise.  But some of their songs are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b234ATr46TA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au29UhcgPj8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AWdxQD-gmw&feature=related

I like em because they are extremely faithful to the original pieces, some people don't like that though and figure "what's the point" but whatever.

Edit:
nm, I think the circle name is リオン@
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 07:19:25 PM by Ghaleon »

Shin Rokuren

• - 秘剣 -
  • 「ツバメ六連」
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 09:16:39 AM »
Electro-Spective KYOTO (StB Fourth Photo; electronic rock, passive-awesomeness)
Man, this is beautiful!

My current top 5 fave arranges are:
Vocal:
1. Machibito wa Kozu - Beware the Umbrella Left there Forever (Th12); Circle: Buta-Otome
2. A-Yah-YAh-YaH-YAH! - Wind God Girl; Circle: forestpireo
3. Mouryou no Misshitsu - Gensokyo Millennium ~ History of the Moon (Th08); Circle: Unlucky Morpheus
4. Akeboshi Rocket - Retrospective Kyoto (Th9.5); Circle: Kishida Kyoudan
5. Flight of the Bamboo Cutter - Gensokyo Millennium ~ History of the Moon & Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess (Th08); Circle: Kishida Kyoudan

Non-Vocal:
1. Apparitions Stalk the Night - Apparitions Stalk the Night (Th06); Circle: PHOENiX Project
2. Gensokyo Millennium ~ History of the Moon - Gensokyo Millennium ~ History of the Moon (Th08); Circle: Liverne
3. Eastern Military History - Nostalgic Blood of the East ~ Old World (Th08); Circle: Discord Registers
4. Akeboshi Rocket (non vocal) - Retrospective Kyoto (Th9.5); Circle: Kishida Kyoudan
5. Emotional Skyscraper ~ Liberated White Lotus - Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind (Th12); Circle: dBu

Anyone have any good remixes of Plain Asia?

Marin The Magus

• The magician of dimensional dreams
  • Energetic Satorin~ Shougorori~
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 01:57:21 AM »
Ahh, Riverside, love their arranges :3  (not the song >_>though I do love riverside view arranges xD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drflp15vfmA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pAkdAOzW9c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCddsVP7_74

Also, how come I didn't know of this ENS arrange?!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUpx1_TUZAs

Frostyhatlo

• Goliath Doll!
  • Let's gooooooooo!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 01:31:17 PM »
So do piano arranges count? Cos I love em.
If yes then Shiraha and Marasy8 are 2 good artists.
And of course TAMusic.
There was something about a cup, a sword, a tree, and a green hill.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 05:03:06 PM »
Hmm, I guess I could post a few... Two songs from each artist maybe.

Shingo DJ - not really a dedicated Touhou artist, but he does have two Touhou albums (Touhou Invasion and Gensokyo Style).  He has the first of those two albums available for free on his blog.  Also, a song from each:

Obligatory Bad Apple
Voyage 2009 (because 1969 is an amazing track by default)

dBu - no explanation needed, everyone knows about dBu.  Still, I really like how they stay close to the originals

How to catch a Drake.
Be of good cheer!

COOL&CREATE - Again, who hasn't heard of them?  They're one of the few vocal arrangers I actually like though.  Especially Beatmario's singing.  I may have to post more than two here :V

PAAAAAAAAATCHOUUUULEEEEEEEEELEELELELELELELE
Endless Dream (English sub uploader closed his account D=)
PROGEAR NO ARASHI from ケイブラブ.   Yeah, yeah, I know, this is a Touhou thread... (but Cave album = +100 respects.)

t+pazolite (CHS) - o gawd i luv dese guise.  More speedcore, don't mind me!  Again, not entirely Touhou, but I'd say they're probably at least 75% Touhou.

Shiki from the Unlimited Spark album (great disk man).
Lunatic Princess from Neetmania.  Maybe this is why I always call her KagKag now...

DJ Technetium - Sorta similar to above I guess.  They have a lot of duplicate tracks with minor variations though, which is kind of annoying.

AnotherVoyage 1969 from the album 東方ハードコア
Cosmic Mind, another one of those "awesome by default" songs.

Random song dumping, no particular artists:

More Cosmic Mind
JIMANG!! I don't even like these songs, but they exude awesomeness somehow.
How to catch a Donut.
How to catch a Chirpy.

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

• OKAY THEN I'M A LEGAL AIDE
  • AND ERIN BROCKOVICH IS MY NAAAME
Sonata of Scarlet Sunflowers, a Flandre x Yuuka story. | Laziness of Daemonic Wastrels, wherein The Dude, Frylock, HW Guy, and David Wong get their asses kicked in Gensokyo.  | T.O.U.H.O.U.: Land of Shadows, a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Touhou crossover. | Abomination, a monster story.

danuke303

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 07:17:23 AM »
IRON ATTACK!

These people are THE shit. They play heavy metal arranges of Touhou songs. And they rule.

Example: Final Revenge (Extend Ash - Hourai Victim)

We also have the fact that for some reason, Fujiwara's themes and progressive metal match so good ^^

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 03:31:20 AM »
Hooray that this thread hasn't died!  I haven't caught up with all links in your posts, but I will do so over the weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drflp15vfmA
<3

You linked my three favorites from them.  If you like those, you might like their R8 album: Edis revir (website).  It's a slightly remixed collection of their vocal tracks, so Sara is the star.  I prefer the original versions, but that's still a great starter album.

Jackmackerel: トマト組 has a nice, jazzy take on Flandre's.  Not on youtube, though: album is Tomato Fizz.  Of course, there's always Swing Holic.  [I'm not big into Flandre, so that's the best I can do offhand with what I know]

Da_Nuke: Good Touhou metal is Demetori.  There is no substitute and there is no peer.

In the off-chance...
Stage Five (EoSD)
Byakuren (UFO)
Stage Six (UFO) then Komachi (PoFV)

No comment on Iron Attack.  Playing nice... for now.

In other news, drooling over likely c80/81 albums is staring to become involuntary.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 04:31:40 AM »
I can't believe that nobody posted this as his or her favorite yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXYuU_w_5Q

ShouAmaterasu

• Gengetsu's Disciple
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 05:56:57 PM »
My favorites in the arranges so far are:

1: Peace to the Soul ~ Dignity of Spirit, an Ultimate Truth/Border of Life arrange by Unlucky Morpheus

2: Meteralice, an Alice in Wonderland arrange by Pizuya's Cell x MyonMyon

3: Messiah, a Last Remote/Hartmann's Youkai Girl arrange by Liz Triangle
What is the real meaning of life? Such a fragile and weak thing it is. The answer is whatever you make it out to be. If you're a mad man then go around and do what you do best because in the end it's all about you... That's right, destruction is your desire, you live to kill, to reap away everything else that isn't important to you!

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 09:47:52 PM »
one of the things I love about arrange music is that you can find it arranged into every style or genre conceivable. I guess these are my faves atm but aren't really a true representation of what I do like.

1. toho film music selection - tutti sound - last I checked they were a rather unknown orchestral group but they're really good.

2. brightness - =NeutraL= - overall a decent enough circle but I've only ever liked nazz-can's works but he left the group and the fandom suddenly a couple of years ago ;_;

3. 東方io-best beats2 - iosys this album reminds me that they are capable of creating good music sometimes. normally I only like the stuff minami produces :/

4. where is love - syrufit - easily one of my fave th albums in general.

5. tribullets - overblast!! x2 - this group does actually do touhou arranges but I prefer their work on other stg music so I'm not sure if this one counts.

samples or crossfades available for all links (:

De La Witch

• She is, the most interesting witch in the world.
  • "Keep borrowing my friends."
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 04:16:48 PM »
Seen a lot of good remixes on this thread. This arrangement of Cosmic Mind by Sunpon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL7d1q2MqX0&feature=related is my fave. It's just that the DRIVE is so... well, I can't describe it, do yourself a favor and give it a listen. You'll see what I mean.

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 04:34:38 PM »
ah so that's what Elemental Records sound like...

can anybody c/d for me if Demetori is going to c80? I can't moonrune well enough on my own to be sure.

Blitzer

• 「Touhoustuck」
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 10:14:23 PM »
Here's a remix of Native Faith called A Native Face.

I don't care for listing albums or circles, myself.

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 04:23:25 AM »
THOUSAND LEAVES is great when they stop doing their usual death metal.

RED and 撃ち落としたシエスタ are two of my favorites from them.

Phosaphile

• Eternal Optimist
  • Everything will work out in the end!
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 03:21:04 AM »
BubbleRecords, hands down.

Skygazer

Mechanicalian

Ice LOVER

They're easy to find on Youtube c: that's just a small look. Skygazer was the first one I heard.

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 02:55:09 AM »
I'm not about to let this thread die, so here's some recommendations from me.

Icarus'cry:

VICE (Spring Lane - Colorful Path)

Requiem (Haigoku Lullaby)

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 03:20:43 AM »
BubbleRecords
Clip was a totally flawfree release but beyond that I'm not really keen on anything else they've done.

just heard the new iron attack crossfade. I've not liked many of their recent releases but this sounds promising.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 03:57:22 AM »
Probably my favorite collection arrangement of Touhou songs would be this video with a total of 92 Touhou songs in 6 minutes. The arrangement is appropriately titled "for the busy people".
My favorite group would be O-life Japan, so far. With my favorites being their  Corpse Voyage ~ Be of Good Cheer and  Strawberry Crisis arrangement.

Other favorites include this At the End of the Spring arrangement, a Lotus Love arrangement that used to be my wake up alarm song, and a Plain Asia arrangement.

I'm not a big fan of vocal arrangements, but the few I thought weren't bad were:
Who Killed UN Owen?
Necro Fantasia by Alstroemeria Records
And my favorite of the vocals, Artificial Children by IOSYS.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

wailofthebanshee

• Go away for a bit.
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 11:59:37 AM »
I like the originals by ZUN the most to tell you the truth, even with all the trumpets. Mystic Square's soundtrack is especially good.

To make this not off-topic, I guess tutti sound is pretty good. I also like this remix of strawberry crisis a lot.