Author Topic: Kirby! What's Your Copy?  (Read 12927 times)

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
Kirby! What's Your Copy?
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:33:50 AM »
And by this I mean . . . for the games you own, which Ability do you do the most damage with?

For Kirby Super Star Ultra, I'd have to say that when I'm not abusing Rock into the dirt, I prefer to go Suplex. That's right, I rock out with Suplex. FUN FACT: WHEN YOU ARE GRABBING AN ENEMY OR MINIBOSS-GENERATED STAR, YOU ARE INVINCIBLE. Also, several bosses which were originally either taxing or tedious quickly become easy (sometimes laughably so -- try doing the B+B move on one of Lololo or Lalala's chests, watch their HP plummet; alternatively, up-throw a Waddle Doo into Kracko for massive damage, or grab the Computer Virus's projectiles and throw them when it's your turn to be relatively invincible).

For Kirby Squeak Squad (yes, I played that), I ruled with Ice-Bomb and Ghost (yes, Ghost; there's something about possessing enemies and forcing them to mercilessly annihilate their former-and-maybe-still friends makes me feel all warm inside, I don't know why).

As for Kirby 64, gosh how I love that . . . I have recently discovered the two-handed awesomeness that is Fire+Cutter, or as I call it . . .

"Kirby has now become Highlander Kirby!" . . . Highlander Kirby. Or Zweih?nder Kirby, one or the other. While the sword is out, YOU CAN TURN AROUND TO KILL PEOPLE. It is that easy. When I first tried it, I thought 'oh, OK, it swings kinda slow, doesn't . . . OK, let's try something else' and forgot all about it. Now that I'm playing it again, I'm loving every second of the power. Alternatively, Bomb+Bomb is some nice homing-projectile action (reminding me just why I loved the heck out of Reimu-A in EoSD).

That said . . . let's hear some of your tales of ownage! What's YOUR best Ability?
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN1-BN3 = Odd Idea
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN4-BN6 = Bad Idea

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
Re: Kirby! What's Your Copy?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 11:42:35 AM »
asperger's

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:46:41 AM »
Suplex
This one thousand times. In fact, I remember doing a 100% Suplex run in the Arena, a 80% one in the True Arena (Got rid of it for Galacta Knight) and Bugzzy has my lowest time on Helper to Hero. But if it's not this, it's either Hammer, or Sword.

(PS: If you love so much Fire + Cutter, try using Thunder + Cutter)
asperger's
Goddamn it Moogy OMEGA JEW.

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 11:53:57 AM »
Ones that come to mind are hammer and tornado.

Usually I do boss rushes which exist in almost every game that leave you off without an ability, except for USDX where I use hammer.
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

Herasy

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »
I wish for another Kirby Super Star like game, it was so awesome.

The ability I abused most had to be the Wheeler Rider combo (Kirby rides a wheeler). The stars Kirby shoots while having a very limited range, do ludicrous amounts of damage on bosses. So much so that I pretty much considered it to be cheating.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 01:36:41 PM »

Indeed, indeed the format works well. Of course, the reason it works so well is because the material is all first-class. Especially liked Helper to Hero and Meta Knightmare Ultra.

The ability I abused most had to be the Wheeler Rider combo (Kirby rides a wheeler). The stars Kirby shoots while having a very limited range, do ludicrous amounts of damage on bosses. So much so that I pretty much considered it to be cheating.

Note to self, learn how to fire those shots.

Suplex
This one thousand times. In fact, I remember doing a 100% Suplex run in the Arena, a 80% one in the True Arena (Got rid of it for Galacta Knight) and Bugzzy has my lowest time on Helper to Hero. But if it's not this, it's either Hammer, or Sword.

You did a 100% run in the Arena? . . . Main Cannon #2 was a pain in the rear, wasn't it? How'd you deal with the arm? I found it to be immune to the kick when I went up against it.

(PS: If you love so much Fire + Cutter, try using Thunder + Cutter)

I may just consider trying this. Had a blast in World 2-4 with Spark+Bomb ("Kirby has become Light Bulb Kirby!"), Spark+Spark (Double Spark?) is awesome (even if Kirby shuffles slowly, starting range is win), and Spark+Freeze . . . fun fact, it actually can damage something (just use it like Rock when you want to damage); and lastly Spark+Needle was fun to use against the Bouncy TV midboss in 1-2 (yes, that UFO-spring enemy is called Bouncy TV -- hooray, KDL2 Bad End Credits). And yes, I remember that Kirby becomes Darth Kirby with Spark+Cutter; never really got much use out of it before when I was playing, but then I never got much use out of Fire+Cutter before and look how much I'm a fan of it now.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 01:48:48 PM »
You did a 100% run in the Arena? . . . Main Cannon #2 was a pain in the rear, wasn't it? How'd you deal with the arm? I found it to be immune to the kick when I went up against it.
Screw the arm, I just dodged it until it spawned the bombs.
And I liked it more when it was called the Combo Cannon, actually.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 02:17:34 PM »
How'd you deal with the arm?
Screw the arm, I just dodged it until it spawned the bombs.

That would do it, wouldn't it. Note to self: DODGE MORE OFTEN. But seriously, it wasn't even the arm that killed my last run. No, it was me trying to jump all over the upper cannon (I'd wasted the lower one this way).

That's right, I tried using the down-B aerial on the upper cannon. Guess what happened when it adjusted its position to fire at me?

It's one thing when you get shot to death by a cannon boss. It's another thing when you get MACED BY ONE.

And I liked it more when it was called the Combo Cannon, actually.

It used to be called that? Geez . . . My knowledge of retro has holes in it, that's for sure. To think I started with Kirby's Dream Land for the GB (so I CAN legitimately say that "In my day, we didn't have no stinking Copy Abilities!") and KDL2 (favorite; Super Mario World is to Mario as KDL2 is to Kirby).

Drake

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 05:01:27 PM »
Hammer for Super Star and Refrigerator for Crystal Shards.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Gambit

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »
Most of time it's been the sword or bomb ability but in Super Star the yo-yo and suplex, and for Crystal Shards either cutter+spark or fireworks.

Hopefully that canceled Kirby game for the Gamecube will actually get released sometime since it was like Super Star.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 04:43:12 AM by Gambit »

Herasy

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 06:17:09 PM »
Hopefully that canceled Kirby game for the Gamecube will actually get released sometime since it was like Super Star.
I remember seeing screens of that somewhere. But I sincerely doubt it will ever get released due to the handful of other awesome titles Nintendo decided to announce and then work on instead.

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 06:24:56 PM »
KSS was all about Fighter.

Crystal Shards was all about shurikens.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 06:44:08 PM »
I've only played like two Kirby games but in Nightmare in Dreamland I was a backdrop fan.

In Super Star I liked Mirror.

...and that's it.

Caber Knight Etch-A-Sketch

• The return of something
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 10:26:15 PM »
In Kirby 64, Everything was owned by Fireworks. The fire and bomb combo. Seriously, It killed everything except
Spoiler:
Miracle Matter and O2

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 10:34:07 PM »
I usually used Laser in Kirby's Adventure, Cutter, Yoyo, and Plasma in Superstar, and Sword and Laser in the others.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 04:36:00 AM »
I report back with some highly amusing news.

Main Cannon #2 has suddenly become a whole lot less menacing. Why?

Remember the giant cannonballs . . . ? They're Suplex-able. So you don't need to wait for it to drop bombs -- just wait for it to shoot. Up-throw is your friend.

Also, Waddle Dee takes a lot more Suplex-ing than he should. Meanwhile, Meta Knight has become the biggest threat to a 100% run. Why? TORNADO. It's one thing when you're able to use it . . . it's another when it's used on YOU. In fact, two runs in a row I got the Suplex knocked out of me, I rushed to get it back . . . and was right where Meta spawned the big tornado. I ended up losing the Suplex entirely BOTH TIMES. Needless to say, I'm a little miffed about that . . . and the fact that I tried a 100% Suplex True Arena run after that and died to Wham Bam Jewel because I was right where a HAND WAS SPAWNING. I GOT KILLED BY A SPAWNING HAND. Oh, well, there's always next time.

Also having a brilliant time in Kirby 64; I've been trying out different combos . . .

Turns out Ice+Bomb (the exploding snowman) can be forced to blow by running it INTO an enemy. This means that you don't have to just sit by an enemy while the fuse goes down, you can actually just suicide-bomb without taking damage. It should also be noted that the thing has fallout; i.e., when you blow up, a plume of ice goes up and freezes what's above you. I learned this when one of the parasol enemies got iced when I rammed into an enemy below it.

As for Fire+Bomb, it's useful . . . slaughtered Acro with it . . . but it's not quite my cup of tea. I mean, AoE massacre is fun and all, but there's something to be said for slaughtering enemies mercilessly with a giant zweih?nder (or better yet, Death By Turning Around).

And also . . . Rock+Bomb is fun and all, but . . . rather ungainly. Enemies can damage you while you're ducking, and thereby knock you out of it . . . just as the bomb blows. Needless to say, that was not a happy moment, and I hate crabs.

And @ Kanako Yasaka:

...in Nightmare in Dreamland I was a backdrop fan.

Here's a Fun Fact -- Backdrop and Suplex are virtually the same ability. The only real difference is the name.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 04:46:02 AM »
I only own Kirby 64, but a lot of the great abilities have already been listed (fire sword, shuriken bombs, double spark). I didn't find much of a use for the fridge, but the rock-spark combo was pretty nice. There was also the rock-cutter critters too, very useful in 3-4.

Using the copy abilities in the other games can be an iffy prospect, because Kirby can lose his ability in one hit. I wish HAL wouldn't do that to us. =P

I'm wishing that "Legend of the Stars" game would come out soon, and I look at the Wikipedia page and it says it'll be out in Japan this year. That means it should come to the US sometime after that.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 08:48:49 AM »
I only own Kirby 64, but a lot of the great abilities have already been listed (fire sword, shuriken bombs, double spark). I didn't find much of a use for the fridge, but the rock-spark combo was pretty nice. There was also the rock-cutter critters too, very useful in 3-4.

Yeah, I ended up trying that out to get the one shard. I LOVE THE PITCH SHAPE SO MUCH. Pitch, for those who've never heard of him, was a Friend in Kirby's Dream Land 3, the NES game where you did requests for everybody under the sun, and there were more Friends than the previous game had. The Friends from that game were immortalized as the Rock+Cutter combo power (for those who've not played Kirby 64, or not played it enough to have used it), wherein you could turn into each one of them at random. Kine (fish) was useless, but Rick and Pitch . . . Rick (hamster) can wall-jump, making him MANDATORY to get one of the Crystal Shards, and Pitch (tiny bird) is the best one of them all. Flies fast, and rolls when he lands. And is invincible. It's a beautiful thing.

And I've learned that I cannot use Fire+Needle (paging William Tell...) worth a damn, Bomb+Needle is slow as all sin (but it's nice to be a Gordo for a time) . . . and I am actually not-half-bad with Rock+Bomb. Meanwhile, Rock+Needle is the best ability by far (and Iku Nagae would agree with me).

Using the copy abilities in the other games can be an iffy prospect, because Kirby can lose his ability in one hit. I wish HAL wouldn't do that to us. =P

Actually, it's not really one hit (at least not in Squeak Squad and Super Star Ultra). However, KSSU has the added bonus of guarding, which makes you take less damage from attacks and whatnot (and with certain abilities, like Mirror, take no damage at all).

I'm wishing that "Legend of the Stars" game would come out soon, and I look at the Wikipedia page and it says it'll be out in Japan this year. That means it should come to the US sometime after that.

Hmm . . . have any info about what abilities will make it into the game? *crosses fingers for Mirror and Suplex*

Herasy

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 12:18:35 PM »
Actually, it's not really one hit (at least not in Squeak Squad and Super Star Ultra). However, KSSU has the added bonus of guarding, which makes you take less damage from attacks and whatnot (and with certain abilities, like Mirror, take no damage at all).

Pretty sure original Kirby Super Star had Guarding too, although you didn't take any damage at all when doing so.

Hmm . . . have any info about what abilities will make it into the game? *crosses fingers for Mirror and Suplex*

Only gameplay video I could find, it looks AWESOME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy2l5BSBSL0

Also the Kirby wiki has some more info

http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Kirby_(Wii)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 12:18:58 PM »
Throw is the best ability

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Sax

• TnS owner
  • Preying on those who seek the cross...
    • Touhou no Sekai
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 07:02:32 PM »
UFO is kinda useful in Nigthmare in Dreamland. Burning is good as well.
Whoa, Sax, where did you get that beautiful signature?

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 01:48:04 AM »

Pretty sure original Kirby Super Star had Guarding too, although you didn't take any damage at all when doing so.

It does have guard (I'd be surprised if it didn't, as the only thing KSSU did different was add stories), but I just used KSSU as a point of reference for how nowadays the abilities do not necessarily go away in one hit.

Only gameplay video I could find, it looks AWESOME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy2l5BSBSL0

Also the Kirby wiki has some more info

http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Kirby_(Wii)

This is some interesting info. I'm kind of sad that Keke isn't going to be the Broom/Clean Helper, but that's hardly a major complaint is it?

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 07:09:32 AM »
Suplex, Fighter and Yo-yo in KSS
Fighter, Throw, Bomb (and UFO if I can find it) for KATAM and Squeak Squad
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 01:43:12 PM »
Suplex, Fighter and Yo-yo in KSS
Fighter, Throw, Bomb (and UFO if I can find it) for KATAM and Squeak Squad

I somehow find it rip-roaring hilarious that all 3 of the Abilities you mentioned for Super Star have a throw move (Suplex, obvious, Fighter, semi-obvious, Yo-yo, you have to be looking for it).

And yeah, Bomb was fun in Squeak Squad. A tad less so in Super Star on account of how it's a little slower to throw a bomb (though it's nice that you have trajectories available, though there's not much call for it), and there's no way to combine it with anything to do anything neat (Spark Bomb and Ice Bomb were both fun, and Bomb does a LOT of neat stuff when combined in 64 -- case in point, Bomb+Needle makes you a Gordo for a bit, Bomb+Cutter throws exploding!shuriken, and Bomb+Bomb is, well . . . homing missiles).

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 05:14:09 PM »
Bomb has a 'throw' move as well, at least in Super Star it does. It's rather tough to pull off though but it's mad hilarious once you do it. I would have put Ninja too but the knives are rather weak (but oh god let a Helper!Biospark see one enemy and I swear to god he'll be a walking Touhou in a Kirby game).

Oh right I forgot about K64, well I suppose I use Spark the most, my favorite combonation is Bomb/Cutter and Spark/Cutter.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 10:57:34 PM »
I like the marisa power
Wotters gonna' wot

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2009, 01:07:21 AM »
Oh right I forgot about K64, well I suppose I use Spark the most, my favorite combonation is Bomb/Cutter and Spark/Cutter.

Yeah, those are some good combos. You try Double Spark yet? It's a little slow, but you can move side-to-side with it.

Bomb has a 'throw' move as well, at least in Super Star it does. It's rather tough to pull off though but it's mad hilarious once you do it. I would have put Ninja too but the knives are rather weak (but oh god let a Helper!Biospark see one enemy and I swear to god he'll be a walking Touhou in a Kirby game).

You mean the one where you put a bomb literally -on- something? I've managed to pull that off occasionally, but not on a regular basis. And Ninja's OK . . . but it was actually better in Squeak Squad, I think (mostly due to the Chakra Blast, and I think it actually did more damage).

And if you think Helper!Biospark is Touhou enough, try playing through Helper to Hero using Plasma Wisp. My advice: use the block to assist charging, as you remain in position, immovable, while blocking.

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2009, 06:37:03 PM »
It used to be Mirror because it was so unique and defensive but I like Yoyo better now, since it has a little bit of everything else the game has to offer and is quite powerful but not Hammer powerful. I also like to beat bosses with the chip damage from a failed Copy from time to time, though thanks to the minibosses you can never do a 100% run of The Arena like that and don't think I could succeed even if you could. I keep on hearing good things about those stars from wheelie rider but I don't have anybody else to man the second controller. If I wanna cheat against bosses with Wheel though, I'll just break into a corner and let the boss kill itself against me. That cheap lil' tactic doesn't work against every boss, if they don't actually go into the corner you break on but it does against the vast majority of 'em.

Kirby Superstar kinda spoiled me for other kirby games, with its huge option per ability ratio, so outside of that I can't say much. In 64 I particularly liked the exploding ninja stars made from Cutter+Bomb, they were so fast and efficient.