Author Topic: Taking Dragon Slaying to all sorts of FUCK YOU! - Let's Play Dragon Slayer I  (Read 10323 times)

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi

Let's just say I got really, really freaking bored yesterday.

Alright, I just decided to put this as a placeholder and for some preparatory things.

Basically, I'm going to play through Dragon Slayer I, for the GameBoy, of NIHON FALCOM fame. This game has been lauded by a few people for being massive amounts of suck, but seriously, there are worse games than this. Plus it is beatable. Just... very tedious to do.

Here's the lowdown on the game itself:

The game has a grand total of TWO LEVELS. Otherwise known as phases. In each phase, you have to collect four crowns, guarded by a dragon boss dude. Said dragon boss dudes are insanely strong and the maps themselves are... "huge," you could say. Actually, no. The maps just loop. The enemies themselves start out hideously strong... That is, until you find the sword. Without it, you are pretty much puny and die in a few hits. Your HP comes from Coins, which give 1000 HP each that you deposit to your home, a little house in the middle of freaking nowhere. Your ATK power can be boosted by red rhombus gems, which give... I think 1500 ATK per gem.

Sound easy? It's not. But I'm going to prove to you that this is beatable >_>

Anyway!

Before any formal update is done, I'd like to ask you about some stuffs.

Who should our little intrepid dragon slayer be? You guys can decide or something.

He'll (or maybe a she) need a name, and perhaps maybe a picture so I can make a portrait out of it. If we don't know who this person is maybe even some background info.

Secondly and lastly, on the agenda, are restrictions.

I will allow you to set two of these restrictions on me as I play:

1. Restriction of FLY, FLASH and JUMP spells.
--> FLY turns you into a bird and you can fly over all obstacles, FLASH paralyzes every single enemy on the entire map, and JUMP... teleports you to the last spot the thief ghost was.

2. Do not move diagonally
--> More important than it sounds. So important you need to gain 30000 EXP before you can even do it.

3. Do not open chests
--> The key can be used infinitely to open chests which can be integral in boosting your power or giving you potions to use spells.

The two which get most popular votes are those I will use, by the by

Get to it guys. Or something
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:55:33 PM by BougaPrincess »

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
  • Trying to be an engineer
http://safebooru.donmai.us/post/show/234414/blonde_hair-blue_eyes-hat-male-original-pointy_ear
Read that tag, it is male.

Toriroughrynther Yaoiy of Essdikraykale the Slayer of Garden Snakes (and other small reptiles)

(All out of a random name generator, even Yaoiy, I promise)

From a long line of dragon slayers, he is the heir of thousand heroes that breed for the specific purpose of producing an even better hero.  He's the less than expected result of a many, many generations of work.  Regardless, his ego is larger than life and is a pampered rich boy.  Until he got disowned for being defeated handily by a fatal wounded wyvern that was clinging onto the last of its life.  He now lives in a small hut in the middle of no where he (secretly) cries himself to sleep at night.  After three failed suicide attempts, he slapped some sense into himself and went on quest to slay dragons and regain his non-existent honor that was never there to begin with.

Also, if possible, can you include videos of battles against the dragons?

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
That's a mouthful. I'll need some sort of nickname for him. I'll decide in the meanwhile.

08:19:52 (Ramus) Diagonal Movement then.
08:19:57 (Ramus) And...
08:20:04 (Ramus) Flying/Warping/Jumping

Restrictions:

#1 - 1 vote
#2 - 1 vote
#3 - 0 votes

As for videos - I'll try and include videos but they will be boring as hell xD

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
That's a mouthful. I'll need some sort of nickname for him. I'll decide in the meanwhile.

As for videos - I'll try and include videos but they will be boring as hell xD

Tor?

And just a single video of boss so we get the idea.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
Tor?

And just a single video of boss so we get the idea.

Tor should work~

And yeah, I'll most likely get a single video of boss. It will take long time maybe?

Hey guys submit more characters so I can have more fun with this.

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
I submit Nejiri to the game, whatever u want to do with her trance, it'll be funny so go crazy

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

Yadogari

• Hieda no Akyu of Shrinemaiden
  • Resident Jackass
I dunno what this is about just posting :D

Maid Xan~

• Oh. Uh... Hey... Hey there, Koto.
  • What... what are you smiling like that for, Koto?
Dio Brando

Edit: Screw you Pancake, I vote #1 and #2
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 01:53:22 AM by Xan »
There are people in this world who enjoy being alone. But there isn't a single person who can bear solitude.

The Astral Pancake

• Lurker McLurkington
  • ZOT
You will take restrictions #2 and #3, because then you won't be able to use spells anyways.

Which means it sucks to be you.

Maid Xan~

More characters:

Sanger Zonvolt and Elzam von Branstein/Ratsel Feinschmeker (For smiting/cleaving evil and TROMBE OVERRIDE!)

Guy Shishioh (For hot blood and courage!)
There are people in this world who enjoy being alone. But there isn't a single person who can bear solitude.

Nachtwanderlied

a spess mehreen

restrict 1 and 3

in the grim darkness of the future there is no diagonal

only forwards

INTO THE GRIMNESS
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 02:59:47 AM by Nachtwanderlied »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
Late character submissions are still open! I'll can retcon 'em in somehow

THE BEGINNING UPDATE THE FIRST: A Boy on his Quest to Get Laid Regain his non-existent Honor

Everyone, meet Toriroughrynther Yaoiy of Essdikraykale the Slayer of Garden Snakes (and other small reptiles). You can call him Tor for short. What's his deal, and why is he here? Why is he involved in this tale of monster-killing and eventually dragon-slaying? We'll leave it to the boy himself to talk...

This is Tor's humble abode, in the middle of nowhere. This house is very important, it is where you exchange gold for HP and rhombus gems for ATK. You can actually push this house with the Power Ring, which I'll discuss later

: Maaan... I can't believe it. I can't believe that happened... Thought it was easy pickin's, but noooo. Had to sweep me up like that and here I am, alone, tr-- Wait, why am I talking like this? I need to stop sulking and get some shit done around here!

Tor heads south from his house a little bit and sees...

: M, M, Monies! Shinies!! Wow, this must be my lucky day~
Now, now, Tor. Let's be cautious here. The coins give you HP when taken to your house.

: This looks like a strange potion to leave out here randomly, I suppose I'll take it.
Potions are nice things... As long as you take good care of them. They can be stolen from you by some enemies. They are used to cast some magic spells, which you'll learn at specific EXP levels.

: What's this ring? Well, I guess I'll... put it on?

: I certainly feel a lot stronger... I still don't know what the heck it does though. I suppose I'll see if it gives me... I don't know, super strength?!

As Tor goes to the block nearby, he attempts to punch the shit out of the thing, but instead...

: I just pushed it?! What a gyp! I want my money ba-- Oh, wait. Fuck. I found this thing on the floor, didn't I?

The power ring allows you to push nearly any obstacle in your way. You'll need this thing if you want to get the Sword, and you'll need it until you learn the skills BREAK and KICK.

While Tor was busy brooding about the purposes of his find, he gets a splitting headache for a few seconds and the place around him inverts its color.

: Ow, fuck, my head, what the hell?! Wait, what?

Tor can see two figures, a girl who is being carried by some muscular guy in an orange and green getup. He is very confused as to why they are here but he is certainly not complaining about any company that comes by.

: H, Hey, you two! Over here!

The man sees Tor and, while carrying the girl, quickly dashes over to his position. Apparently, he does not look pleased.

: Oooh, aren't you a cute one?
: I just saw the both of you come out of some sort of dimensional fuckin' rift! What's up with that, 'du?
: Teehee... Well, I have this man to thank, we were going someplace and then all of a sudden some booming voice tore through the space-time fabric and sent us here, hee.
That's right, young Tor.
: Who the heck said that?
Ignore that for now, Tor, these two shall be overseeing your... little dragon-slaying game...
: That is not a game!!
Dragon-slaying game... And these two will be here to supervise your progress. They are going to see if you can do this... by fulfilling two restrictions. Mister Dio Brando here will surely punch your face out if you try any funky... Magic business, while Miss Nejiri there is going to make sure you don't dance your heels out and walk in iffy directions.
: ... ... ...

Dio's expression loosened a little bit and he seemed less pissed off than he was a few minutes ago. The area normalized its atmosphere and everything seemed like it was back to normal bar these two jokers that came out of nowhere.

: So... uh... you want to go to my place?
: Sure, hotshot. <3
: I have nowhere better to go, fool.
: Off we go, then.

So Tor returns to his place with Nejiri and Dio in tow.

: Stop running away from me you stupid house! I just want to open the door!
: ...?

Yeah, if you have the power ring equipped, anything you can push that you come into contact with WILL be pushed. You also can't pick up items! So you have to take it off.

: I'm sorry, let me take off this ring.

: My money!!! Where did it go!!!
: You appear stronger, boy.
: Do I?
: Yes.
: Huh...

Gold to HP exchange.

: So, like, d'you have a weapon?
: I had a sword but it got stolen. I remember where the ghost took it but... Like, uh. I got lazy.

The ghost Tor is talking about is pretty pesky, he steals anything you're carrying and can steal key items and move them to other parts of the map, like a certain enemy in that one game...

Tor ends up leaving his home, with Nejiri and Dio, to hunt for his lost sword. Or rather, stolen sword. He heads westward into a alleyway-like pathway.

: Zombies~ yay, zombies!
: Girl, it's dangerous there...
: Hmmhmm... Well, this cross I'm standing on is burning my feet. I'm backing off, nyaha.

That cross CAN be carried. Monsters can't step on that cross. When you carry it, you cannot be attacked, but monsters can still surround you. Nejiri was talking about zombies... That zombie is the level 1 monster, lowest you can find. He has 1500 HP and hits for 300 damage. Without the sword, you can only do 10 points of damage, so that's why we gotta find it.

: Aah, let's move on.

: I... I'll leave that for later.

That's a red rhombus orb gem. When carried, it does nothing, but when you leave it at your house, you gain a whopping 2500 ATK. For now, we'll leave this one out since we can come back for it at another time. SWORD GOES FIRST.

: With this shiny ring I can push my way to my sword!

Potions. Take 'em if you like.

: Agh, what the hell is this place? So many empty freakin'... boxes... buildings... here. What ARE these things?

Those chest-like objects are just... objects. They don't actually do anything as far as I know. If there's a purpose I haven't found it yet even though I beat this fuckin' game twice.

More potions. Remember you can't pick up items with the Power Ring. By the way, that room with a lot of monsters is a place we'll be heading to in a future update so we can raid it of its coin stash for mucho HP.

: At last! My trusty sword! It is miiiine again! What a sweet reunion~
: It... definitely looks shiny, oho~
: And a nifty power stone, too~

: H, hey! The ghost took that key!! ...Guess we'll just have to find it later...

I couldn't screenshot it but that's the ghost that's making the key levitate. He whisks it away to another part of the map. He is very annoying and can also steal crowns, forcing you to traverse other parts of the map or go to previous sections of the Phase.

: Yes!! The power!! It is mine!

Notice what depositing the gem does to your attack >_>

: ...Convenient that... We're so close to home, no?
: Uh... about that.

The map loops itself for some strange reason. We're going to be here for a very long time, since we need to grind for a bit. Yes, there is grinding in this game. The next update will discuss killing monsters, but a fun intermission first.

: You guys like my place?
: You know what I like?
: Woman, why do you look at me with those... H, hey! Wah!
: Children are always like this. Sometimes, I wonder why I even bothered to do this.
: Come on, come on, you know you want to play with me~
: Aaah, hey! I don't want to be your love slave! Stop it!
: You can't escape from me within the confines of your own house~

: Noooooo!

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
o/
GO NEJIRI

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

Maid Xan~

: GO NEJIRI-SAMA!

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
Wow, you weren't lying when you said this game was bad.  Good job increasing your power 49 fold and then 5 fold again.  Regardless, is it possible to make the game unwinnable by pushing a block to a place where you can't move it and it blocks a passage?

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
LOL I found this on my old gb  :P
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

Maid Xan~

Wow, you weren't lying when you said this game was bad.  Good job increasing your power 49 fold and then 5 fold again.  Regardless, is it possible to make the game unwinnable by pushing a block to a place where you can't move it and it blocks a passage?

There are other swords.

Nachtwanderlied

WHERE ARE THE SPESS MEHREENS

WHERE ARE THE DEEEP STRIKES

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
Space marines have no place in this world! ...Well maybe later they'll show up once we start fighting robots.

UPDATE THE SECOND: Dragon Slaying meets Left 4 Dead

Last time on Let's Play Dragon Slayer:

: Noooooo!

Tor had a wild time that night. Sort of. But they still managed to get their rest. By rest, I mean a whopping two days, but that's besides the point. Tor had his sword, and he was now capable of brutally maiming people zombies, monsters, robots and even a dragon.

: Let's go kill us some /monsters/, baby!

: Die, skeleton!

Yeah, uh. Just colliding into a monster and button-mashing or something will allow you to attack. Now will be a good time to explain the battle system. The HP is represent by the heart, and your potential damage is represent by the Sword symbol. The icon looks like a person determines your EXP, and by extension, how well you can take hits. Think of it as the God Stat of this game. If you have 2x the EXP value of a monster, the monster can only ever do 10 damage to you. We will be abusing this a lot.

: Oh, is a spider! ...It looks evil, though. Killitkillit!
: I'll take it on then!

: Ow, you mother--

KABOOOM!

: I AM THE SWORD THAT CLEAVES THROUGH EVIL!!! SANGER ZONBOLT!
: What the hell is this shit I don't even
: You didn't have to do that, that guy could use his COURAGE to destroy that Zondar spawn!!!
: Idiots.
: Who are you people and why are you here?
: Gai Shishio here claims that this place is full of Zondar spawn and wants to purify this entire area. I think we'll be leaving once we're done here.
: That's right! We have to destroy the source!!
: Eh, well, you can come with us. I'm sure we'll find more of this... "zondar spawn" or whatever crap you're talking about.

: First, we get shinies! And we'll put that block back.

POWERUP!!

: Awesome. Now, we're going back there to get the shiny coins and then we start killing monsters.
: Speaking of, I saw a strange tombstone near that thing. What's up with that?
: Gravestones are where monsters come out, duh!
: T'would be wise to stay away from the tombstones for now, until you get stronger, kid.
: Y, yeah... we'll just throw Gai Shishio at it or something.
: It must be a Zondar generator if that's what it does! We have to get rid of it!
: No-can-do, Genesic-boy, those things are indestructible. Take it at the source, as you said. The true spawn here is the dragon. Isn't there a warp point somewhere here, anyway?
: We grind first, fool.

Tombstones generate monsters as Gai and Nejiri pointed out, and they can't be destroyed. They'll spawn a monster that's one level higher than one that you killed, so you have to be careful not to kill too much, or you WILL get your ass beat down by mobs you can never kill. This makes grinding hard, but I'll do that offscreen.

While Tor was off hoarding coins, his journey was stopped by some sort of... goblin thing. Needless to say, it nearly kicked his ass (I'm not even kidding here, they throw enemies that can 2HKO you right off the bat) and so Tor had to retreat by using Gai, Sanger and Dio as distractions so he could go home and restore himself.

: Owwww! My spleeeeen!

: Aaah... close one, folks...

I had 250 HP left before I went back to the house >_>

: Let's... ignore that place for now and train somewhere else.

So, Tor began his grinding by killing countless monsters. Along the way, he learned several skills... One very important one which... I'm sure Tor will be putting a lot of use in... Like...

BREAK is a very important skill we'll be using to get through blocks, since we're forbidden from moving diagonally. It's good that we got it now, so that we can have escape routes, since we'll spend a turn trying to get away and monsters can come get us.

: I have more and more power with each stinky mob I kill!!! But... there was this one monster that looked quite creepy.

: Oooh... that thing gives me the creeps.

That's Mr. Hat, by the way. He's very strong to be facing at this stage, but actually, every single monster I've faced so far in this LP is... weak now, they'll die in a single shot if I snatch them, you'll see why later...

: Whew, I'm beat. That was a long day. Did you guys enjoy it?
: With courage we can kill anything!
: Somehow, I doubt that. Anyway, I'm calling it a day.

: Well, I can certainly see how much you've developed, kid. Still, try any funky magic business around me, and you will regret it.

Sadly for us, Dio won't let us use RETURN, a very important skill that instantly jumps us back to Home. Fortunately, the map loops, so it really isn't that hard to walk+frameskip back...

: You look so cute when you're getting ready for bed!
: You can quit doing tha-- Aah! S, stop it!! H, hey, guys, do something!! Stooooooooop!!

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
I approve of this rape.
Oh, and poor Tor needs some lessons in COURAGE.

ES-Anthy

• *Roll*
  • *fwump*
I approve of this rape.
Oh, and poor Tor needs some lessons in COURAGE.
Seconded.

Thirded

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
WOW I was just playing the game and then a Arabham Lincoln's head spawned and then it kicked my ass :o andmy stats right now Health 7000 Attack 23000 Exp 7000 rest 0
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 02:58:59 PM by MUSCLE★MOEblob »
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry

Trance this was what I was talking about : Moeblob (but not really moe but just blobly)

The maximum EXP hell yeah!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 08:04:37 AM by MUSCLE★MOEblob »