Author Topic: Touhou Air Combat Sim Project *Unreal Engine Scripters Wanted!*  (Read 23788 times)

Spaztique

• Writer, Animator, Easy Mode Advocate
Re: Touhou Air Combat Sim Project *In dire need of modellers!*
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 10:35:30 AM »
Nice model! I'd send him thanks.

...another GMod player? Wow, I haven't gotten into GMod in a while...doing just that once I get my new system built! :D

I used to make Gmod comics back in the day (2006-2008 were my peak years). My mangum opus had to be The Gmod Experience series, but the site that hosted it is gone, now. Though, if you go to Facepunch, go to the comic subforum, and then sort the comics by view, you can find my second-greatest comic (or rather, an adaptation), The Gallery Of Henri Beauchamp. I'd get back into it, but my copy of Photoshop is on my old computer, and I've got no way of getting it running for the foreseeable future (if I did, I could use it to make textures).

Also, I've found myself getting much better at Blender lately after telling myself that anyone can learn anything with enough effort (all 3d modellers and game makers had to start somewhere). I've found that video tutorials and printing out the hotkeys really speed things up. In fact, I just finished a fully-skinned Hakurei amulet card thingy. Though, my skin isn't particularly good-looking compared to what it could be if I wasn't practicing, so I won't post it unless everyone eggs me on about it. Still, we're getting somewhere.
Making Touhou music and actually-pretty-decent Walfas animations since 2011!

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 07:34:43 PM »
Blender is a great program, but hard to get used to. I've heard it has some issues while exporting though (like textures or bones), so make sure everything works before you start making something huge in it.

As for the project, I'll give you the same advice that I give every other programmer: program first, details later. Don't worry about making all the models first thing. Just make one stage and one player, import them to make sure they work, and use those as placeholders while you get the physics and attacks working. Gameplay first, missions second, graphics/sounds third - although you don't have to follow that order strictly (feel free to mix and match), it's the general flow you should follow while making a game.

Although the stuff you've shown is pretty cool, get some gameplay working! That will get many more people interested in this.

Spaztique

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 11:33:33 PM »
I've been working on the flying/weapon scripts in between practicing modeling/mapping, but I suppose you're right. I'll start focusing a lot more on scripting (and besides, it'll make a great UT3 mutator).

The sad thing is that somebody posted a video of a UT3 bullet hell mod on YouTube and NicoNicoDouga (complete with yukkuris), but I can't find any links for that mod.

Spaztique

Re: Touhou Air Combat Sim Project *Unreal Engine Scripters Wanted!*
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2011, 11:44:01 AM »
Huge breakthrough today! I have made my first danmaku weapon!

I have modified the Link Gun to fire slower projectiles with a smaller hit radius. I've tested it with some bots, and it is a blast trying to dodge all of those bullets in glorious 3d. Plus, it works with the Super Berserk mutator, so everyone can fire even faster. If I can get Fraps working, I'll show you a gameplay video.

Now to figure out how to get multiple streams of bullets firing at once. I know the Rocket Launcher can fire in three directions, so now I just have to make the other guns do the same (and more).

Edit: WARNING: Side effects of the danmaku link gun include loss of awareness of time, hyperfocus, gameplay addiction, and missed deadlines.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 12:08:11 AM by Spaztique »

Yuyuko Yakumo

• Carry me~ow
  • Rawr I eat your face with maaaaaagicalness
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2011, 05:38:06 AM »
Edit: WARNING: Side effects of the danmaku link gun include loss of awareness of time, hyperfocus, gameplay addiction, and missed deadlines.
Seems like things are going according to plan then.
I know, I know. I'll get a real avatar and signature soon. -_-

Spaztique

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2011, 04:07:51 AM »
Seems like things are going according to plan then.

Partially.

On one hand, I now have a full scope of all I have to do to bring this game to life.
On the other hand, it's just as big as I initially imagined.

Here is the laundry list of things I must code before I can even work on the static meshes (read: props) for the levels and start acquiring models:

-Multi-projectile weapons for the player.
-Multi-projectile weapons for enemies.
-Multi-projectile spiraling weapons for enemies.
-Enemy firing patterns. (Shouldn't be too hard: I'd just have to recreate this with more bullets)
-Boss firing/spell card patterns.
-Player spell card system (my current idea is to have one main weapon with infinite ammo and use the secondary as the spell card system, and for the modular spell card idea I brought up in the concept, it could be multiple secondaries [which were even possible in Unreal Tournament 1]).
-Death bomb system.
-Boss health system.
-Beam weapons with triggered delay. (Shouldn't be too hard; it's a simple particle effect followed by an instant hit beam.)
-Heads Up Display
-Health Bar/Game Over system.
-6DoF Controls (I've seen it done before, and it would really make the game)
-The command menu or a simple command system. (Super-simple, since it's already coded into UT3, complete with fill-in-the-blank templates, so you'd probably hear something like "[Character name], attack [target]!")
-The score system.
-A score screen (preferably like the Command and Conquer score screens with a tally of how many enemies you killed).
-The camera system.

Again, if you know UnrealScript, lend a brotha a hand and help bring this 3d Gensokyo to life! Juggling my music remake project (which I'm a week late on), various oddjobs, and non-stop Patchouli-levels of reading books on game design and music production, I've been trying to learn Unreal Script and Kismet (a flowchart-style scripting system) in my spare time, but even with my eighteen-hour days, I still wish I had more time to study. (Though, I do know how to make some killer stages and final boss fights for Story Mode from what I learned in those design books.)

Part of me wants to think my game design books are right and that a team really is the best way to go, but another part of me keeps remembering Touhou was just made by one guy; a guy who said, "To those who wish to make games: Just try it. Don’t worry too much about the details. If you come to a part where you need to think it out, think it out. You can’t let yourself get caught up worrying about all the details."

Edit: I thought of a new title: Touhou: Illusionary Skies.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 07:16:15 AM by Spaztique »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 02:59:23 AM »
Partially.

On one hand, I now have a full scope of all I have to do to bring this game to life.
On the other hand, it's just as big as I initially imagined.
That's a good sign, in a way.

Here is the laundry list of things I must code before I can even work on the static meshes (read: props) for the levels and start acquiring models:

*stuff*
Ouch, but on the other hand you get the boring stuff out of the way first :D

Again, if you know UnrealScript, lend a brotha a hand and help bring this 3d Gensokyo to life! Juggling my music remake project (which I'm a week late on), various oddjobs, and non-stop Patchouli-levels of reading books on game design and music production, I've been trying to learn Unreal Script and Kismet (a flowchart-style scripting system) in my spare time, but even with my eighteen-hour days, I still wish I had more time to study. (Though, I do know how to make some killer stages and final boss fights for Story Mode from what I learned in those design books.)
Don't know UnrealScript and Kismet at all, sorry. The books sound like they are helping indeed.

Part of me wants to think my game design books are right and that a team really is the best way to go, but another part of me keeps remembering Touhou was just made by one guy; a guy who said, "To those who wish to make games: Just try it. Don?t worry too much about the details. If you come to a part where you need to think it out, think it out. You can?t let yourself get caught up worrying about all the details."
I'm with ZUN here. Really it is up to the individual to create the idea. The team just assists with the work.

Edit: I thought of a new title: Touhou: Illusionary Skies.
...we also need "Illusionary Skies" or the sort in Japanese :V
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011, 03:11:56 AM »
Part of me wants to think my game design books are right and that a team really is the best way to go, but another part of me keeps remembering Touhou was just made by one guy; a guy who said, "To those who wish to make games: Just try it. Don?t worry too much about the details. If you come to a part where you need to think it out, think it out. You can?t let yourself get caught up worrying about all the details."

Wow that is pretty inspiring  :o... For quite a while I've been wanting to make a 2d scrolling danmaku versus game, although my lack of java or C++ programming knoweledge begs to differ (i have 0 idea how the code-->visual objects thing works) .
The only doujin game  AFAIK is Touhou Gensokyo Rensa. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Touhou+Gensokyo+Rensa&aq=f. My gripe with it is the same as Touhou Sky Arena: no manual aiming system.

Spaztique

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2011, 10:45:24 AM »
...we also need "Illusionary Skies" or the sort in Japanese :V

You mean like 東方幻想空/Touhou Gensousora/Eastern Illusionary Skies? (I'm mostly going by the fact that this title fits the Touhou+3 Kanji mold typical of Touhou games).

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2011, 07:29:28 PM »
You mean like 東方幻想空/Touhou Gensousora/Eastern Illusionary Skies? (I'm mostly going by the fact that this title fits the Touhou+3 Kanji mold typical of Touhou games).
Yeah, that'll work (going by the kanji here, not the translation).

In that case we may need to have Japanese translators handy too...I may consider that role, but on the flip side there are better Japanese users here, and English isn't exactly a native language for me.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_