Author Topic: Gungnir's script - EX Tewi  (Read 5163 times)

Gungnir's script - EX Tewi
« on: May 21, 2011, 12:14:33 PM »
Hello, I'm pretty new with danmakufu, and this is my first attempt to make a boss fight. The replay has some problems so I'll upload it sometime later, maybe. But for now, this is what I get.

EX Tewi - Download (4MB)

Please tell me what you think. Does this pass as an EX boss? Any suggestion?

On further note, it's rather off-topic but I can't use the custom cutin for some reason. When I replace the old CutIn with the cutin command, nothing shows up. I made sure to include the function properly. Did I do it wrong?

Re: Gungnir's script - EX Tewi
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 02:02:15 PM »
Non-spell 2 : hello random cloud of kunais ? Awful, unfun and not extra-ish !
Non-spell 4 is actually much easier because you can defeat it before it really reaches you, but the principle is probably as bad ! You forgot to import the supershot.txt file.
Non-spell 5 has a huuuuuge safespot under Tewi. More like a safecolumn.
Non-spell 6 is also badly random and can completely wall you. That's not supposed to happen ...

The timing is a little harsh on Legend Duper
Why the hell is there an invisible hitbox at the center on Flawless Cage ? It's also a bit long, maybe.
The Shark Eating the Rabbit seems a lil easy.
Blessing of Okuninushi-sama ? Wait, the whole center of the screen is a safespot. You can timeout this by moving up midscreen, then waiting.
Ways of a Tricker : Why is it that long ? Really long, this time.

Liar Game ? WTH ? Comes out at lightning speed after you defeated the last spellcard, no charge, nothing. And what the hell is that ? 90 seconds of dodging 40 speed bullets ? Yeah no, please no.

Well, that's me raging and all (I always rage when battling with Tewi in IN anyway) but most of it (everything I didn't mention up there) is doable and really enjoyable ! But take care of some of these serious flaws.

Good work anyway, that's impressive for a first project ! And thanks for sharing.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 02:17:25 PM »
You are fking kidding me. You dare use absolute pathing!? YOU MUST DIE.

Rerelease before I finish playing the script and you don't die. :(

EDIT: Using Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu player scripts JUST BECAUSE.

EDIT: The Clover spell card has no bonus - cannot capture it whatsoever.

EDIT: Cannot beat even with the DFK scripts. There is something very wrong with that, knowing I used the SUPER DODGE MODE I always use on scripts like this.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 02:32:37 PM by みゅーキュゥ »

Drake

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 06:56:49 PM »
There is no theme, there is no balancing, there's no way you tested this without dying constantly. There is no possible way you could have even thought this to be beatable when making it, which pretty much screams that you weren't actually thinking about making your scripts playable. However, it is beatable.

See post beloooooowwwwww.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 10:37:27 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »
Extraordinarily bad design. All over the place. Since you're a beginner I would normally give you the excuse, but you literally just threw a bunch of danmaku everywhere and put Tewi on the front. There is no theme, there is no balancing, there's no way you tested this without dying constantly. There is no possible way you could have even thought this to be beatable when making it, which pretty much screams that you weren't actually thinking about making your scripts playable. However, it is beatable. Except for Liar Game. What the fuck.

I mean, the fact that you actually pumped out all these scripts is nice, but really put more thought into this stuff, please.

Right. I wanted to say all that, but I think I was lazy. :(

Liar Game is probably possible if you stand in a spot because of the speed glitch, but I'll have to test that.

Drake

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 07:12:50 PM »
No, since the speed changes constantly, the position at which the bullets touch is going to change as well.

Johnny Walker

• Perdition Crisis~
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 07:20:08 PM »
Suggestion: Try to capture your SpellCards at least twice in a row before releasing them, Gungir.

Holy hell. Timed out Liar Game, (look at the spell bonus -_-!)

Purposely played in windowed mode
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 07:53:32 PM by Johnny Walker »

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 08:20:07 PM »
The battle was actually pretty nice, i can see that a lot of work was put into this. But...
  • Most of the spellcards doesn't warn you properly, making you die suddenly.
  • The survival spellcards have hitboxes for the boss.
  • Not a big thing, but:
    Spoiler:
    no background?

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 08:29:33 PM »
Most of the spellcards doesn't warn you properly, making you die suddenly.

It's my opinion, but I don't feel this is important as long as it is static. You die the first time saying "WTF?" but then it's okay.

I mean, the first time you play against Lavatein/Perfect Buddhist/Ichijo Return Bridge/Snake Eats the Croaking Frog/Heaven and Hell Meltdown/A Forgotten Umbrella's Night Train to name a few, you probably have the same feeling, but they're not unfair eventually.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 08:40:15 PM »
Non-spells are pretty hard, even for extra difficulty. Might want to consider toning them down. Other than silly tweaks like adjusting health/time and whatever, I rather like the script. Good first try imo. Here's hoping you make more in the near future.

Time to argue people.

stuff

Are you fucking kidding?

However, it is beatable. Except for Liar Game. What the fuck.

It's completely static.

• Most of the spellcards doesn't warn you properly, making you die suddenly.
  • The survival spellcards have hitboxes for the boss.

• Play more than once.
  • Which one? Flaw of Flawless Cage doesn't, and Ways of a Trickster still has her sprite still drawn (don't run into the boss).

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 08:57:10 PM »
It's completely static.
Yepp, static. You can't do it and that's not due to random x). And why don't we double the speed ? It would still be static, after all. And whatever, 40+ pixel/frame bullets should not be used.

Which one? Flaw of Flawless Cage doesn't,

It does, right in the middle of the screen. It fucking does.

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 09:11:32 PM »
Yepp, static. You can't do it and that's not due to random x). And why don't we double the speed ? It would still be static, after all. And whatever, 40+ pixel/frame bullets should not be used.

It's not that difficult. It takes more than one or two tries, yeah, but after you get the very repetitive and short rhythm it's pretty easy. Johnny Walker posted a replay showing this.

It does, right in the middle of the screen. It fucking does.

Which player character are you using? Not defaults, apparently. He sets collision to the boss to be 0 pixels, any player character with a hitbox of greater than 0 pixels can collide with her, but players with a hitbox of 0 (default reimu, default marisa, that shitty sanae script everybody has, etc) can't. So yeah, you can collide with the boss, but only because you're apparently using some custom player that has a bigger hitbox than the default players.

Drake

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 10:36:20 PM »
Ooooookay, now that I've beaten it I can provide some better feedback.

First non: Really fast, very very simple. You pretty much stay still for the whole thing, and it seems like complete filler. If you did actually have to dodge this stuff, the bullets are way too fast.

Chasing Two Rabbits: This is an alright card in concept, but after a bit of wiggling you figure out the only thing you need to do is stay in front of Tewi to not die. This is where I notice you start using the deathtrap of completely random movement, and the extraordinarily high health bars (seriously it takes forever). In addition, if the card wasn't so simple, the bullets are once again too fast.

Second non: COMPLETELY RANDOM FAST BULLETS EVERYWHERE WITH COMPLETELY RANDOM MOVEMENT. No. This is one of the harder patterns, but it's a 'bad' hard. Especially if you're looking for Extra difficulty; alongside the patterns up to now it's a complete kick in the crotch. In addition, since Tewi's movement is completely random, you'll have her on one edge of the stage and then zip over to the other side. You can't hit her. It's bad.

Jewelled Rabbit: At first I thought this card was just really bullshitty until I realized the lasers were aimed away from you. Then it just became a U-stream game. Bullet speeds are slightly better, but again if the card was more than a gimmick, you might want to slow down a tad.

Third non: Quite a bit higher than Extra difficulty, and it is pretty much just random bullets flying around everywhere which by convention is really lazy and usually comes with bad design, but this was one of your better noncards, I guess.

Legend Duper: Gimmick to the max. The main dangers here are three things: knife hitboxes being stupidly undefined (not your fault I guess), you staying under Tewi too long, and the card taking goddamn forever to beat. In other words, the only dangers are completely miscellaneous things and have nothing to do with the pattern. Which is bad. Also, if you're at the top Tewi when you beat the card, you will probably die immediately afterwards because Tewi tackles again and fires bullets right away. You need breaks for these things.

Fourth non: Better than the second, good bullet speeds except for the ones that are like 0.02 speed that you keep at the top. Once again, Tewi moves around completely randomly and she will either let you off easy, or buttrape you with walls and have the pattern take forever. This is not a good balance... but it's funner than some of the others.

Flawless Cage: WHY DO YOU DO THIS THIS IS PROBABLY YOUR BEST CARD DESIGN BUT YOU RUIN IT COMPLETELY BY GIVING IT A 60 SECOND TIMER AND MAKING IT A SURVIVAL AND USING FLAME BULLETS OF WHICH YOU CAN'T SEE WHERE THEY'RE GOING AND THEIR HITBOXES ARE FREAKING HUGE BECAUSE OF THE SHOTSHEET SO IT RAPIDLY TURNED FROM AWESOME DESIGN INTO TOTAL BULLSHIT.

Fifth non: This is the same as the first. You pretty much stay still for the whole pattern. It's static and Tewi pretty much moves with you. Blah.

Four Leaves: Good card. I'm a bit disappointed that most of the screen is filled by the green bullets, and that once again it takes forever to kill, but otherwise after all's said and done this is your best card.

Sixth non: Walls. Everywhere. Knives have undefined hitboxes. Random movement. No. Bad. No.

Shark Eats the Rabbit: Really really boring, and really really long. I'm not sure why you put this card at the end when it's so easy. Might be better if you left some trailing bullets, or stopped Tewi's movement from being totally random and annoying, but I dunno. Didn't like it much, felt pretty tacked-on.

Chasing Two Rabbits (again lol): If you're at the bottom of the screen and Tewi is on the side when you end the previous, you will die. Everything starts as soon as the card begins, which makes walls. And even then, you went through all the trouble of making this card and all you have to do is stay underneath Tewi for a while. At least the bullet speed for the bubbles that you actually have to dodge is ok, unless you added more bullets in.

Ways of a Trickster 1: Boring random knives. I wish the upper pattern would do something.
Ways of a Trickster 2: There is exactly one hard part, which is when you go over the top and you have to switch sides to dodge on. Also as an aesthetics thing, it would look much nicer if the knife circle weren't all random. But it isn't a problem.
Ways of a Trickster 3: Random knives everywhere. If anything this should have been the sixth noncard. But just the same, knife spam everywhere = not good.
Ways of a Trickster 4: I like where you were going with this, but really you just tap right as you go across the screen (and above etc). There is zero danger unless you get lazy, which is really disappointing for the finale. And for 60 seconds?

Liar Game: left right left right left right... It looks cool though, and I couldn't find any safespots. You could have done better with this.

Overall, as this is your first full script, going to have to rate this 7/10. A lot of mistakes you made were beginner mistakes, and unlike what I said before, most are excusable. Inexcusable mistakes would be Noncard 6 and how you raped Flawless Cage over when it could have been great. Otherwise, as Naut said, I did end up playing enough to 1cc; even if it was mainly to critique, I guess it counts for something. I look forward to seeing you get better.

Also I never want to listen to that arrange of Kagome Kagome ever again.

Johnny Walker

• Perdition Crisis~
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 10:37:54 PM »
After the last word capture, I tried to 1cc your script and get a replay, but my bad skills didn't helped, so I will review your spellcards individually:

1st Card: Almost captured, but it has a lot of HP >_< + I always run into those yellow bullets.
2nd Card: I liked it. It's pretty easy to capture also.
3rd Card: Also easy, but I think one of the tewis has a bigger hitbox than the other, (or I was in a bad spot).
4th Card: Captured through practice mode. It becomes pretty hard when those blue bullets start to fall.
5th Card: Pretty easy. It has a patchouli feeling.
6th Card: Easy to timeout. Hard to capture. There's no enough time to deplete the boss health bar.
7th Card: Safespot. Also, you forgot to change the spellcard name in the cutin.
8th Card: Captured in practice mode. Its pretty hard. As you acquire knowledge, you will find this kind of cards simpler to code.
Last word: Easy after a few tries.

I had a lot of problems during some of the non-spellcards. Also, you may want to review your movement codes, because in some attacks, tewi went off-screen.
Keep reading the tutorials/wikis so you can improve your coding skills. And keep in mind what Marisa said about spellcards: danmaku should be beautiful (or something like that).

I enjoyed the script, it remembered my first days in danmakufu.

EDIT: Damn you, Drake!. I need more practice in touhou overall -_-
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 10:43:20 PM by Johnny Walker »

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 06:36:24 AM »
Thank you all, I guess I forgot to check the hp and stuff, what the heck. Changed some non-spell completely to tone them down and fit with Tewi. Also checked the collision in flawless cage, it does hit non-default player.  I'll also try changing, or rather, coding some spells over from scratch. Will have to wait after finals though... thank you again.

EDIT: Someone tell me how this looks.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:53:21 PM by Gungnir »