Author Topic: Scarlet Weather Rhapsody expansion pack coming to Comiket 76... probably.  (Read 61007 times)

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
IIRC Hisoutenfuroku is some kind of SWR spellcard-based card game Tasogare was selling at COMIC1*3.

Nothing important, or else we would have heard about it. The only other thing the website says is that they got into Comiket 67. If something was being released, they'd put it there.

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
I heard that if anyone takes the Touhou fighting games seriously they played IaMP anyway.

SWR update would be cool though. I don't mind the weather too much, but it'd be nice to have an option to turn it off altogether.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
"SWR Final Tuned"...?

I'd download buy that.

Benny1

• Die The Death! Sentence to death! Great equalizer is The Death!
  • Dlanor of the Ten Wedges
I have no idea what wrathie is talking about, Sanae is a good girl and I would be very happy if she is in.

Anyways, an expansion pack?  Cool!  Maybe they'll add support for "the better player of the two won't randomly lose."  Because there is definitely support for "People will randomly win and lose" as it is right now!

I doubt it.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
I have no idea what wrathie is talking about, Sanae is a good girl and I would be very happy if she is in.

Anyways, an expansion pack?  Cool!  Maybe they'll add support for "the better player of the two won't randomly lose."  Because there is definitely support for "People will randomly win and lose" as it is right now!

I doubt it.

It's one of those 21st century game disease trends. Nothing is easy enough and publishers can't get over an irrational fear that if the player has to press more than 2 buttons to win the game he'll freak out and toss the controller away in panic.
rofl bye

Be cool if someone made a touhou doujin fighter with all the characters. Not MUGEN.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
Be cool if someone made a touhou doujin fighter with all the characters. Not MUGEN.

It would be cool if we had "expansions" on IaMP, as SWR should have been but failed miserably by changing fucking everything instead of just tweaking the mechanics and adding some new characters. I think that by now everyone should know THAT is the way to go about making fighting game series...
rofl bye

Gpop

It would be cool if we had "expansions" on IaMP, as SWR should have been but failed miserably by changing fucking everything instead of just tweaking the mechanics and adding some new characters. I think that by now everyone should know THAT is the way to go about making fighting game series...

Isn't that the point of a new game?

Otherwise SWR would be an "expansion" of IaMP =/.

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
People will find some way to bitch about anything. Personally, I liked IaMP better, but SWR is alright. Not that I play either all that much.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned

Isn't that the point of a new game?

Otherwise SWR would be an "expansion" of IaMP =/.

But historically, fighting games sequels ARE pretty much expansions of the previous game and whenever there's too much experimentation there is dividing of the public and you risk ending up with something that, for being different from the last one, keeps your target public away. Fighter-players are kinda like RTS-players in this sense. You can't mess around too much with it, particularly if you're in a series. Think about it. Soul Calibur had a very slow evolution, SF had a faster one and you had the main public kinda lost for quite a while until SF4 kinda made peace with them. the "vs. Capcom" series also had a slow evolution and was successful throughout Xmen vs SF,Marvel vs SF, MvsC and MvsC 2.

SWR made the mistake of "throwing IaMP away". So what you get is a second game that has nothing to do with the original and, what do you get: Divided public. As a publisher/developer, you just wounded your relation with your public, because there is no trust anymore. Some people here love SWR, other like me hate it intently, because it is presented as a sequel to IaMP, but is nothing of the sort.
rofl bye

From playing Touhou.
I've pretty much learned never to expect the same thing when it comes to ZUN and his wacky ideas.

but ZUN has reused elements from former games (not to mention other games/series), such as Alice, Yuka, Reimu's bgm in IN, the bullet spawners before Yukari in PCB, PoFV. Sometimes, people guess right.

regarding changes in fighting games, compare SF2 CE with ST or 3s, or Fatal Fury 2 with Garou MotW, or MvsC 1 with MvsC 2. These are examples of successful games (tournament-wise, in varying degrees). SWR is nice to people who don't play for competition, and isn't for those who do play for competition (so, the relation between developers and public doesn't affect the former negatively). Quoting Bellreisa (iirc), "the problem isn't that the gameplay has changed, it's that it hasn't changed for the better". What (imho) made SWR different from the examples I've mentioned above, is that it's not fit to be played for competition (and the weather is regarded as being the least of the problems), and IaMP could be enjoyed by both player profiles.
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
Indeed. Touhou itself has had a slow evolution ever since Touhou 2 started shit over from the beggining. New game elements are introduced slowly and gradually. If you compare that to 12 now it's like ZOMG COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!! But things happen gradually. PoC in 6, hitbox in 7, new bomb/power system in 10, Tweaking of that system in 11, Now a new idea mixing that with the old and something completely different for 12.... but things kinda happen one at once.
(8 had a lot of game specific stuff that never really made it through. Time orbs trying to make the raking system better, familiars and the phantom gauge)

I don't think it's only companies that are tournament heavy that get benefits from customer trust. Take "The Last Guardian" that's coming out. I'm FUCKING BUYING THAT! And I have no idea what's that about. But my trust in those people is so much that I am SURE it will be awesome! But yeah, Tasofro really fucked up. IaMP had a few balance issues, needed a tweaking here and there and some more characters. If they did that it would be awesome but they decided to go a whole different way...
rofl bye

Well lets talk about if they added Mima in this expansion. ;)

Gpop

Actually, the problem with IaMP is that it turned away a lot of beginner players because of the huge learning-curve, from simple button-masher to skillful combo-ers. SWR is the complete opposite in that sense, so in the end it seemed like they tried to reach out to the other half of the public who were turned off by IaMP. It still takes skill to combo in SWR, but not as much as IaMP.

Now only if they could make a game that could truly reach out and please both ends of the bargain.

Letty Whiterock

What Tasofro needs to do is forget about the IaMP/SWR series and just make a decent fighting game. Hell, they need to take points from their own books and take advantage of what they did with Eternal Fighter Zero, because that, for the most part, was actually playable, not slow as molasses, and felt a lot more crisp and solid.

I highly doubt they're releasing an expansion pack for SWR, but if they are, what could they possibly add? New characters? We have enough characters as it is. We don't more to accent the glaring balance issues the game already has. We don't need new stages. Anything the game really needs can be addressed in a patch.

We're probably getting an expansion for Patchucon.

PatchCon player vs. player would be cool :D (dreaming of Touhou DotA as well :D)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Momizi Inubashiri

• Banned
  • For :files:
I would not relate SWR and IAMP together becuse the time events of IM, POFV, STB, and MOF were between those 2 games
tho if this is on a timeline that is not a f*ed up as the zelda timeline (yes im related touhou to zelda again) then touhou can be all in a time paradox were Cirno was hidden in the 1st game... but from the wiki it seem that it is on a timeline that is lunier.

also the Japanese Text sead mostly one wen its going to be relested and how much it will cost. nothing about whats new

So it'd be better to have Scarlet Weather Rhapsody #Reload, then?

From playing Touhou.
I've pretty much learned never to expect the same thing when it comes to ZUN and his wacky ideas.
The thing is, aside from HRtP and the Phantasmagorias, the main Touhou series has pretty much been exactly the same game, just with different stages and bosses, plus one or two new addons and a different set of player characters. Oh, sure, some things looked like major changes, but fundamentally, we're still talking about "arrow keys to move, Z to shoot, X to bomb, shift to dodge, small hitbox, huge bulletspam, don't die."

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
The thing is, aside from HRtP and the Phantasmagorias, the main Touhou series has pretty much been exactly the same game, just with different stages and bosses, plus one or two new addons and a different set of player characters. Oh, sure, some things looked like major changes, but fundamentally, we're still talking about "arrow keys to move, Z to shoot, X to bomb, shift to dodge, small hitbox, huge bulletspam, don't die."

Fun fact: You can mindlessly drill anything down until it all looks the same.

Let's try it with bananas and Kim Jong-Il.

Bananas?  Tasty psuedo-tropical fruit.  Shaped conveniently and has "meat" that is easily accessible via peeling.  Typically yellow.

Kim Jong-Il?  North Korean dictator.  Ailing and mentally unstable.  Enormous superiority complex.  Wants his son to inherit his empire.

Now then...

Bananas?  Just a yellow thing you eat.

Kim Jong-Il?  Just a yellow thing you ridicule.

_dk

I'm pretty sure this screenshot is for a SWR patch, with a redesigned interface and a new weather *hint hint*.

The new weather is 凪 (calm), so maybe that's the "no weather" effect or something, though that would make it totally redundant to basic "temperament" state.

Anyone want to make an educated guess on who the new character is, if there is one?
Who would be associated with calm, and that new background which looks like the Misty Lake?
Also, no one ever knew why SWR was turned from number 9.8 in the series to 10.5, maybe this patch is why.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 01:15:00 AM by _dk »

Hmm misty lake you say.
There's a lake by Moriya Shrine so maybe Kanako, Suwako, Sanae, or possible Nitori; but I doubt that one. Calm sounds nice. No more spring haze.

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
Actually, the problem with IaMP is that it turned away a lot of beginner players because of the huge learning-curve, from simple button-masher to skillful combo-ers. SWR is the complete opposite in that sense, so in the end it seemed like they tried to reach out to the other half of the public who were turned off by IaMP. It still takes skill to combo in SWR, but not as much as IaMP.

Now only if they could make a game that could truly reach out and please both ends of the bargain.

actually this.
I dun understand the flack said about IamP, i like it but compared to SWR it's horrible for us players who is not willing to mash buttons for combos..

and it is slow in responding.. I don't quite like it as much as SWR.

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
The only big difficulty I had in learning my way around IaMP was that when I first started I didn't know there was grazing, so even the simplest attacks looked impossible. But then I quickly realised there was something interesting involving dashing and bullets and from then on there wasn't much problem. I fail to see where IaMP's learning curve is so steep. People keep talking about combos, combos... but you don't have to be able to string long combos to a decent player in the majority of fighters (and the ones where you're expected to combo a lot have facilitating measures for that). I think the basic IaMP combos, traps and pokes aren't harder to learn than any other fighter and actually always found SWR to be way more confusing with all that rubbish
rofl bye

Kojiremi

• Crimson Asuratic
  • Touhou, Disgaea, Neptunia. Holy Trinity
but ZUN has reused elements from former games (not to mention other games/series), such as Alice, Yuka, Reimu's bgm in IN, the bullet spawners before Yukari in PCB, PoFV. Sometimes, people guess right.

regarding changes in fighting games, compare SF2 CE with ST or 3s, or Fatal Fury 2 with Garou MotW, or MvsC 1 with MvsC 2. These are examples of successful games (tournament-wise, in varying degrees). SWR is nice to people who don't play for competition, and isn't for those who do play for competition (so, the relation between developers and public doesn't affect the former negatively). Quoting Bellreisa (iirc), "the problem isn't that the gameplay has changed, it's that it hasn't changed for the better". What (imho) made SWR different from the examples I've mentioned above, is that it's not fit to be played for competition (and the weather is regarded as being the least of the problems), and IaMP could be enjoyed by both player profiles.

You both sound exactly the same  :D and i too agree there as well. Before i found Touhou i was playing Melty Blood: Act Cadenza. its a button-mashy fighting game for and it was very easy to play. ( I don't button ash btw just pointing that out for the game. I'm pretty good with it now. I love it. Ciel ftw ) and when i had my FIRST touhou game experience 4 years ago....I played IaMP. Total noob at the series and never heard of it but it was recommended to me by my good friend who is a touhou fan. I was bored with playin MB a bit. just a bit bored enough to try IaMP.

I was horrible at it.
Yes it does have a hard to understand learning curve and then it was in japanese and during the time i wasn't too comfortable as it was to play a game i can't read I got frustrated and I deleted it soon after. However boredom kicked back in and i redownloaded it. I stuck with it and after a while i was able to play it till i got to Remilia stage 5 (was practicin the game as reimu to understand everything i could about the game. It was REALLY hard.   
Now (4 years later) its not bad at all. However, I enjoy the easiness and fluidity of SWR. having an autocombo per char is okay. but fightin wise it felt like a typical fightin game you'd get on the console, other than the danmaku bullets and long range combat the game has it started to feel 'normal'. For the most part I'm pretty laid-back and flexible so i don't mind IaMP's structure and mechanics. I understand why people like IaMP more and vice versa, but for me it was one hard mother to break. I'm glad i kept with it though since it was my FIRST Touhou game. If i didn't i wouldn't have gotten interested enough to try all the other games and become the fan/player of the series as i am now.  IaMP is definitely in my "different" category, the only other game in there is "Arcana Heart" for PS2 Both of these games i HAVE to have a different mind to play it effectively (at the moment i suck horridly at Arcana Heart o_-) SWR feels like a "typical" fighting game but has danmaku and i can play that like i have been playing games like Guilty Gear or Melty Blood.

The only thing i really wish could be changed is the Deck system mostly Skill cards leveling, Matches dont' last too long to get the full effect of a level 3-4 skill (unless your in story mode) I wish that each level up of a skill card added a significant effect that would make it worthwhile putting 3-4 cards in or so. Increasing damage sure but better properties or something. i still put a few "4 of a kinds" skills in my decks but only a few...

I'm pretty sure this screenshot is for a SWR patch, with a redesigned interface and a new weather *hint hint*.

The new weather is 凪 (calm), so maybe that's the "no weather" effect or something, though that would make it totally redundant to basic "temperament" state.

Anyone want to make an educated guess on who the new character is, if there is one?
Who would be associated with calm, and that new background which looks like the Misty Lake?
Also, no one ever knew why SWR was turned from number 9.8 in the series to 10.5, maybe this patch is why.

Calm huh?....I feel like...since Sanae i splayable in 12 if they do make a new char it'll be her. But i dont' mind anyone if they make a new char.

My friends and i want to see a new Phantasmagoria though. we LOVE playing that on my laptop together. so much fun hehe  :D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 01:41:43 AM by Kojiro »
See the patterns, feel the patterns, become one with the patterns, avoid the patterns
In order to live through the patterns, you must understand the patterns for everything else there is MASTER SPARK.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Aya is already in SWR
and Sanae is a slut, move on.

I DEMAND MY PHOENIX PUNCH
quoted for truth

I would be excessively gleeful to get a playable Mokou.  Or a Nitori would suffice, in a pinch.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Is this supposed to be a new game, or a new update patch?

Is this supposed to be a new game, or a new update patch?

^
I think you forgot to read through the posts...

Quintafeira12

I'm happy for knowing it is coming alone.

I can bitch about it after it is out.

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
So, even though all there is is a random screenshot with a different weather effect, we think there's a patch coming for SWR at C76...?

I'll believe it when I see it, I guess.

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality